HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Game Plan: NYI

Old
05-09-2011, 05:13 PM
themightyquinn

vCash: 500
Off-Season Game Plan: NYI

Leafs fan here. Just saw the TSN off season review on you guys and it looks like things are looking up for you. I didn't see a topic on this anywhere and it's pretty comprehensive. Just wondering if you agree or disagree:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=365188

themightyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 06:39 PM
islandersfreak21

Good read. I agreed for the most part

islandersfreak21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Jester9881

The comment section is full of troll bait. Atleast, I hope that's what it is.... otherwise, those are some extremely ignorant people.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 06:47 PM
redbull
movin'on up

I alluded to this in another thread. It's a pretty thorough article, something rarely found in NYI coverage. While it's generally superficial on a lot of levels, it does contain some statistical research (probably all done online) which shows some diligence, I wish it would have some real insights (coaches/GMs comments and opinions) - but given the NYI coverage, that's asking a lot.

I like Scott Cullen's articles. They are generally very good, MUCH better than most hockey writers in Canada and the USA.

Calling Parenteau "blossoming" shows me clearly he doesn't watch the games, but that's forgivable given the rest of the article, which is pretty good.

Any coverage is good coverage when it doesn't allude to the many areas of shame still lingering out there!

The best NYI story of the moment is Tavares' play in the World Championships. Would have been nice to see Moulson there and I'd probably have brought Andrew MacDonald and Travis Hamonic over Scalzo and Methot but whatever!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Seems accurate. Good read!

05-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
The comment section is full of troll bait. Atleast, I hope that's what it is.... otherwise, those are some extremely ignorant people.
My favorite is one guys saying a "win-win" trade would be Komi and Gunnarsson for Okposo and Nino. And then another guy saying that Komi along(sic) would be worth more.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
My favorite is one guys saying a "win-win" trade would be Komi and Gunnarsson for Okposo and Nino. And then another guy saying that Komi along(sic) would be worth more.
anything with a comments section should have a button to ignore all Leaf fans.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Doesn't say anything we don't already know, but he's pretty spot on. Top 4 D needed, and an upgrade for the bottom 6. Goalies situation I will let play out this season because I want to see more of Montoya before making any moves. FWIW I think DP will play backup for the rest of his career starting the 12/13 season. This next season will prove to Snow and company that his body just can't recover.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 09:03 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Pretty accurate. One of the better Isles articles around. I will take Bieksa/Upshall this summer. Still need a top winger for JT though. I think that comes through trade.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 10:09 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post

I don't think it's troll bait.
Read the message boards of the teams in Canada.Their posters are pretty much a joke when it comes to making trade proposals.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 10:24 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Pretty accurate. One of the better Isles articles around. I will take Bieksa/Upshall this summer. Still need a top winger for JT though. I think that comes through trade.
I think that top winger is going to come through the draft, or that top line winger could be Okposo or Niederrieter in the future. Don't forget we have the 5th pick, and we could draft another forward that could potentially play with JT.

[/QUOTE]This is what stands out to me
Needs: One top nine forward, one top four defenceman, starting goaltender.

What I said the Islanders needed last year: One top six forward, three depth forwards, two top four defencemen. [/QUOTE]

I see progress in that statement alone. We have a good young top 6, it wouldn't hurt to add one more good forward to the mix though. Our top 4 is about average, if we could add someone like Bieksa or Pitkanen I think our defense is above average, as long as MacDonald and Hamonic can improve and Streit can return to pre-injury form.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote