HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFC Thread

Old
05-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Shadyone33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
I agree with what you're saying, but my personal guess is that Shields never realized that GSP couldn't see from one eye.

The refs didn't know (Yves Lavigne said that if they knew the fight would've been stopped), and I think that because GSP was so careful not to leave any hole in his defense Shields just didn't realize, or not until very late anyway, that he had an eye that was out. He didn't know that he had that advantage. That being said, if he DID actually pressure more and tried to take the fight from GSP he might've noticed, but because GSP controlled him so well in the first 2 rounds and managed to hit him with a few very hard shots, Shields was very tentative for the rest and never really took any chance. Too bad for him.
Your guess is as good as gold. Shields said that he didn't know GSP's eye was injured in the post event press conference.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:10 PM
GlobalNews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I enjoyed the UFC back in the days more so than I do today. When you had guys like Abbott, Belfort, Ortiz, Shamrock, Rizzo, Barnett, Ricco Rodriguez, Randleman, etc, I truly enjoyed the spectacle. Maybe it's because it was simpler and a lot less main stream then it is now. Perhaps I get disappointed because I find the matches are usually way over hyped. Maybe it's also because it's been the exact same concept, without any changes, for I don't know how many years now. They don't hold tournaments and they don't make fighters fight more than once anymore.
I never watched the UFC because I wanted to see some precision technical fighting. I mean, it was great when it happened, especially back then when there was a lot more brawling going on. It was refreshing to see Royce Gracie put on a BJJ clinic in the very first UFC.

But first and foremost, I watch the UFC to be entertained and don't kid yourself on saying that isn't important. Maybe you get entertained from watching a GSP, stuff a few takedowns, cycle and mainly throw jabs for 5rounds, but I don't. I'm not saying you are wrong to feel that way, you are free to enjoy anything you please. A lot of people enjoyed watching the Titanic, I thought it was pure crap, but nobody is right or wrong. Same thing here.

I expressed my view before on why I preferred Pride. I felt they had the better fighters, I also enjoyed watching different concepts like tournaments, and I thought they had developed rules that ensured more action as well (allowing kicks and knees to the head of a downed opponent and point deduction for lack of action surely pushed fighters to be a lot more proactive during fights). If you preferred the UFC, then good for you man, nothing wrong with that.

But those times are over. I can enjoy Dream once every blue moon, and although Strikeforce can be entertaining, they don't have too many high level athlete. With the UFC signing Miller and according to White, trying to make a deal to see Diaz fight in the UFC, I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before they bring all the better fighters in as well. The UFC has the deepest pool of talent, and no matter how boring I think GSP has been fighting, I'm always going to be interested in seeing him fight. Just like no matter how crappy the Habs will ever be, I'm always going to support them and want to watch the games.

I enjoy the sport of fighting, not because I'm a fighter myself and trying to learn new things on how to fight, but simply because I find it entertaining. Lately, personally, I've noticed that I've been less entertained, and it pretty much coincided with the downfall of Pride.
This is ****ing eloquent. I am seriously impressed.

GlobalNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue_meanie View Post
This is ****ing eloquent. I am seriously impressed.
Perhaps you understand my point of view a little better now then.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:50 AM
neofury*

This is the point of view I've understood since the beginning. I don't get why people need to argue over his opinion when it isn't an opinion that directly affects them. He gave plenty of valid reasons to show it's purely opinion.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 01:22 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
Your guess is as good as gold. Shields said that he didn't know GSP's eye was injured in the post event press conference.
I find that pretty weird. The way he kept blinking and acting in his corner, it should have been pretty easy for one of Shields' trainers to point it out. Weird.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 01:50 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I find that pretty weird. The way he kept blinking and acting in his corner, it should have been pretty easy for one of Shields' trainers to point it out. Weird.
Yeah especially in a title fight, like I said before I don't get why they don't have a guy like Muller who listens to somebody who is watching it from up top/TV.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Shadyone33

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
So did I, but the way he said it(I could be reading too much into it) he sounded like he realized he'd lost an opportunity. That could also be the disappointment from losing the match. The post fight press conference wasn't great this time other than Dana saying some nice words about Randy otherwise I'd attach the clip and mention where it is.

Old
05-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Dekar

The way GSP's been fighting for the past couple of years makes me think he's training for 12 rounds, as if MMA is the new boxing. Stay ahead, take the opportunities that're given to you (if any), and don't give an inch. I feel completely different towards the style when I think of it that way.

Then again, that could be wrong too. It seemed like before the fight, GSP had been trying to beat his opponents at their own games. If that were the case, he'd have ground-game'd Shields into oblivion, but he stood for the fight like the one before, so I just don't know.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
The way GSP's been fighting for the past couple of years makes me think he's training for 12 rounds, as if MMA is the new boxing. Stay ahead, take the opportunities that're given to you (if any), and don't give an inch. I feel completely different towards the style when I think of it that way.

Then again, that could be wrong too. It seemed like before the fight, GSP had been trying to beat his opponents at their own games. If that were the case, he'd have ground-game'd Shields into oblivion, but he stood for the fight like the one before, so I just don't know.
That is so NOT true. Are Alvez and Hardy good wrestlers and Jui-Jitsu artists? Is Josh Koscheck a good boxer? Does John Fitch have good stand-up? etc. etc.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
That is so NOT true. Are Alvez and Hardy good wrestlers and Jui-Jitsu artists? Is Josh Koscheck a good boxer? Does John Fitch have good stand-up? etc. etc.
Okay, I described that wrong. Koscheck said he was going to knock Georges out and his stand-up was hyped as incredibly improved. I forget what the deal was with Alvez, Hardy and Penn, but faint memory tells me it was the same type of deal.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 01:52 AM
GlobalNews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
Okay, I described that wrong. Koscheck said he was going to knock Georges out and his stand-up was hyped as incredibly improved. I forget what the deal was with Alvez, Hardy and Penn, but faint memory tells me it was the same type of deal.
Your faint memory is wrong. GSP ALWAYS does the exact opposite of what you said.

Old
05-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Habs

blah, I'm a GSP fan but his last few fights have been dull. I haven't seen him in a great fight since his last Hughes fight, it seems Jackson has transformed him into the safest champion ever.

He beat up koschek pretty good, wiped Penn around the cage nicely, but man... the Hardy and Shields scraps were pretty boring. Jab-jab-jab...

The rest of the card was pretty entertaining though.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 10:28 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
blah, I'm a GSP fan but his last few fights have been dull. I haven't seen him in a great fight since his last Hughes fight, it seems Jackson has transformed him into the safest champion ever.

He beat up koschek pretty good, wiped Penn around the cage nicely, but man... the Hardy and Shields scraps were pretty boring. Jab-jab-jab...

The rest of the card was pretty entertaining though.
It was the best UFC card I've ever seen, remember I'm only a casual fan but have been following UFC steadily since around UFC 100. (That's like 30 UFC's almost and this being the best one)

It wasn't about the main event though that's for sure, all the other fights had good finishes, good fights in general. There was definitely a lot of entertainment value in this one for the casual fan. Can't say if the technical MMA stuff was great because I'm not an MMA gosu like some people on here but it was definitely a very entertaining event.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:55 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
You're right because Chael Sonnen is WAAAAY bigger.

Honestly I don't see how GSP would have any chance against Silva.
That's y I said if he takes a year to do it properly. I think we might see a catch weight fight at 177 or some ****. It's gotta happen and I think GSP will pull it off.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
That's y I said if he takes a year to do it properly. I think we might see a catch weight fight at 177 or some ****. It's gotta happen and I think GSP will pull it off.
I hope you are right because it would be entertaining as hell, but personally, I don't think it will happen.
GSP is used to fighting twice a year at least, not sure it would be in the UFC's best interest to take him out for that long. Same thing with Silva and it goes as much as 3times. He's already scheduled to fight in August as well. There's no way GSP will fight between now and then. So that would be more off time than just a year. But from what White has said, it seems they will try to make a GSP vs Diaz fight happen.
And, what about Silva?..He has to fight while GSP gets a year off?? Not sure if that's quite fair.
I just don't see it happening at least within the next year, and if it would require GSP taking a full year off, then that means Silva would be 38 by then, and if he keeps fighting at the same rhythm, have three more successful title defenses.
Unless they give both fighters a year off and I really, really, don't see that happening.

As for a catch weight, I also have might doubts. I don't really know what's in it for the fighters. They are part of a ''superfight'' event, but it'll be their first time fighting at such a weight, and what would be the outcome of losing that fight? I think these guys will think about that, something most fans don't really consider. Do they really have more to gain than lose from that fight?
Also, Silva seems to be more natural heavier, and he looked great fighting at 205, getting two KOs when making the jump. I think Silva would be at a bigger advantage dropping down than GSP.
GSP would lose some agility, speed, endurance and stamina as he gains weight which are his main strengths, while Silva would improve them as he becomes lighter (unless Silva decides to cut down 30lbs in 2days, which would be stupid).

I do hope it happens, I think it would be a great fight, but I wouldn't put much stock on it.
Silva is getting older, let's not forget that, he's 35, and he always showed an interest in fighting vs Jones Jr, more so than GSP. Both of them had actually had some mutual agreement to fight each other but White prohibited it as Silva was under contract. That contract expired after the Belfort fight, and obviously, there's some type of new one on seeing as Silva should fight Okami in August.
Silva also previously mentioned a few years back that he'd want to retire at 35 (obviously not happening), maybe that would be a great way to go out.

I think the UFC would have to really break out the bank in order to lure both fighters into that fight.

I'm just skeptical because it seems both these fighters aren't the ''wtv, let's just fight'' type.

I guess we'll see. Can't happen within at least a year though, so, I'm going to remain skeptical about it, and get excited if it is announced.

Old
05-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I don't think GSP has anything but a punchers chance against AS, mainly because of the size difference and striking skills of AS. It would probably resemble the Sonnen/Sylva fight for the most part, but I doubt AS lets a wrestler get the better of him again.

Old
05-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Shadyone33

Fighting at a catchweight doesn't give GSP any advantages though. It just means that Silva would have to cut a few more pounds than normal. He's proven that he is real good at cutting weight as he supposedly walks around at 220lbs.

Silva would still have his size and strength advantages over GSP. GSP's only chance is to get bigger and bridge the gap of size and strength.

I don't like this matchup for GSP though. I think GSP made it clear that it's not always a good idea to go up in weight to fight the champ (See Penn, B.J.)

I think another thing to look at is Silva vs. Jones. Silva says he doesn't want to fight Jones because they're "friends". I don't buy that at all. Silva knows that Jones similar to him is a BIG LHW and doesn't want to lose his size/strength advantage.

I don't think the Silva/GSP fight ever happens. It's too risky for the UFC. Why would you ice one of your biggest draws (GSP) for a year? What if one of them gets hurt toward the end of training...Also, the last thing you would want is for Silva to beat GSP in brutal fashion then retire. That is like a murder suicide.

Old
05-14-2011, 08:18 AM
neofury*

That is what would happen though in my opinion. Silva would smash GSP and then probably retire lmao.

Old
05-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
That is what would happen though in my opinion. Silva would smash GSP and then probably retire lmao.
lol, that would be great.

Old
05-14-2011, 10:37 AM
GlobalNews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
I think another thing to look at is Silva vs. Jones. Silva says he doesn't want to fight Jones because they're "friends". I don't buy that at all. Silva knows that Jones similar to him is a BIG LHW and doesn't want to lose his size/strength advantage.
I got to hang out with Silva and Jones together for about 10 minutes the night before UFC 129. They seem like are really are "friends". Laughing, and joking around. Inside jokes and the like.

Old
05-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Kriss E

Doesn't really apply to UFC 129, but it's the last UFC thread created so figured I'd post it here instead of created a new thread.

A few days old, but figured I'd post it anyways.

http://mmaweekly.com/georges-st-pier...y-as-next-week

I thought Diaz-GSP should have been done before GSP-Shields. I didn't think Shields was ready for a title shot, I think that was evident. I wanted him to get at least one (ideally 2) fight before getting GSP.
I felt Diaz was the best fighter to face up vs GSP, and Shields could gain more experience to become a solid contender.

In any event, looks like they're trying hard to make that fight happen. If it were to happen, I'd have to back up the local boy, but I wouldn't be surprised if Diaz won that fight.

Old
05-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Doesn't really apply to UFC 129, but it's the last UFC thread created so figured I'd post it here instead of created a new thread.

A few days old, but figured I'd post it anyways.

I thought Diaz-GSP should have been done before GSP-Shields. I didn't think Shields was ready for a title shot, I think that was evident.
What was evident about it? Shields did well the last two rounds, eye-poke or not. Shields had a bad gameplan, he should have taken GSP down a bit, threw him off. I like Shields, he has all the tools to be a champion, he has shown that.

Diaz/GSP will look like GSP/Koschek

Old
05-21-2011, 12:41 AM
GlobalNews

Quote:
Are you in any way comparing Diaz to Koschek? There are literally no two fighters I can think of in that weight class who are less alike. Diaz is a jiu jitsu black belt with world class boxing (for MMA). Koscheck is a world class wrestler with very few other tools.

Jake Shields deserved the title shot. Not looking good against GSP doesn't take away from the previous 6 years of victories.

Old
05-21-2011, 01:37 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
What was evident about it? Shields did well the last two rounds, eye-poke or not. Shields had a bad gameplan, he should have taken GSP down a bit, threw him off. I like Shields, he has all the tools to be a champion, he has shown that.

He didn't do well. GSP had a poor fight. I don't really know how Shields even got two rounds according to some judges. Not that GSP necessarily out fought him in the last 2 rounds, but he's the Champ, I would assume the challenger needs to be convincingly dominant in order to win a round with little action.

As for Diaz/Koscheck, both are completely different. Diaz is comfortable in every position. It'll be the first time GSP fights someone where he doesn't have a clear advantage over in any facet of the game. Diaz can grapple well, he can submit, he has KO power, can box and has a good chin.

Quote:
Are you in any way comparing Diaz to Koschek? There are literally no two fighters I can think of in that weight class who are less alike. Diaz is a jiu jitsu black belt with world class boxing (for MMA). Koscheck is a world class wrestler with very few other tools.

Jake Shields deserved the title shot. Not looking good against GSP doesn't take away from the previous 6 years of victories.
Deserved or not, that's debatable. Where I see no debate however, is that Shields would have greatly benefited from having another fight. Make him fight Alves, Condit, Koscheck or Sanchez. Pretty much, give him an arguably top 10 welterweight to see how he does and truly see if he's up for contention.
Kampmann was a stepping stone and he wasn't overly impressive there. Give him a better opponent and then set up the title bout.

Old
05-21-2011, 09:53 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
I don't think GSP has anything but a punchers chance against AS, mainly because of the size difference and striking skills of AS. It would probably resemble the Sonnen/Sylva fight for the most part, but I doubt AS lets a wrestler get the better of him again.
Please, GSP isn't just any wrestler, there is no way AS would be able to defend his takedowns, Sonnen isn't the first one to expose this kink in Silva's Armour. GSP would have him on the ground within 2minutes.

GSP will GnP Diaz like there's no tomorrow. I like Diaz, but he hasn't got a realistic chance.

GSP has a clear and decisive advantage in wrestling and this is how he would expose Diaz, and he would do it with ease imo.

Last edited by habsjunkie2*: 05-21-2011 at 10:00 AM.
habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote