HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Official Nashville Predators 2011 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
The Official Nashville Predators 2011 Off-Season Thread

With the season officially over, thought I'd get this thing rolling. All info via capgeek unless otherwise stated.

PREDATORS UFAs

In order of Salary

FORWARDS

Steve Sullivan $3.75 Mil
Joel Ward $1.5 Mil
Marcel Goc $.75 Mil
Jamie Lundmark $.6 Mil
Kelsey Wilson $.525 Mil
Steve Begin ?

Defensemen

Shane O'Brien $1.56 Mil
Grant Lewis $.587 Mil
Brett Palin $.5 Mil
Aaron Johnson $.5 Mil

Goalies

Mark Dekanich $59,140

Predator RFAs

in order of salaries

FORWARDS

Cal O'Reilly $.562 Mil
Dan Gender $.543 Mil
Sergei Kostitsyn $.5 Mil
Nick Spailing ELC
Matt Halischuk ELC
Linus Klasen ELC
Mark Santorellia ELC
Chris Mueller ELC
Andreas Thurreson ?

DEFENSEMEN

Shea Weber $4.5 Mil
Teemu Laakso ?

NO RFA GOALIES

LIST OF FREE AGENTS OF ALL TEAMS

UFAs by position

RFAs by Team

Predators Payroll w/17 currently signed- $40,837,500
Current Bonuses- $1,325,000
Projected Cap Space- $18,562,500

OFFSEASON STORY LINES

vs.

Should he stay or should he go?

Buyout upcoming?

LESSER STORYLINES

Boullion Buyout?
Lombardi's Health?
Joel Ward's New Contract?
Sergei Kostitsyn's New Contract?

Big Question

Is it better to sign the big three of Weber, Suter, and Rinne all this off-season or to wait until their contracts expire?

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 05-10-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old
05-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

I'd let go of Dumont and Sully for sure. Too much money for what they bring at their age.

Also, there's Shea Weber, Cody Franson, and Ryan Ellis, who are beasts offensively, and Suter and Blum who are also solid offensively. You don't need 5 weapons on the back line. I'd trade at least one for a big time foward.

Old
05-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
I was watching the game, and I just wanted to say big kudos to you the fans. The way you guys sent off your team was awesome, you just don't see that as many times as teams do deserve. You've got something special there, and with a passion like that you guys I don't think will have to wait too much longer for something more.

Good series guys, thanks for the games. Hope to see you next playoffs again hopefully

Old
05-09-2011, 09:57 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Offense Offense Offense.

Old
05-09-2011, 09:57 PM
GCM
Stork

Canucks fan dropping in.

Just came to say fantastic series. Nashville showed the world that they are a hockey market with awesome fans that could give Canadians a run for their money.

Great passion in your city and you guys got a wicked team with a culture of working hard. Wish you guys all the best and I'm sure your team will make it further in the future.

Old
05-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Liquidfire3240

So what are the good things of a buyout of JP? Is it just space on the roster or is there cap space involved as well?

Old
05-09-2011, 09:59 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Ok you obviously had this all made up and ready to go... But its just too soon...

Old
05-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Rink Rage

In my opinion, if you guys resign everyone, and keep developing your young players the way you guys have, I like your chances of bringing a division title to Nashville next year.

Old
05-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Ok you obviously had this all made up and ready to go... But its just too soon...
Haha, yeah.... I was trying to get people's minds off our loss as quick as possible.

Old
05-09-2011, 10:02 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidfire3240 View Post
So what are the good things of a buyout of JP? Is it just space on the roster or is there cap space involved as well?
Instead of 4 mil cash all at once it will be 1.33 per year for two years. Much more flexibility that way. Hate to see JPs last game a a scratch but now that its over business is business

Old
05-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Suter x 20

- Let jp and sully go
- Sign weber/suter/rinne long term
- Trade Franson for an offensive player (not a mike fisher...)
- Bring in Josi/Ellis for Franson
- re-sign ward, spaling, halischuk, goc to a few year deals (3 max...)
- re-sign SK to 1 year deal max
- re-sign SOB to 1 year, option for 2
- sign 2 decent wingers that can score OR score 1 great fwd that can score (namely richards, hejduk, gagne)
- give me free season tickets

Old
05-09-2011, 10:05 PM
levski87

Your D core is very deep. I would look at a possible trade of Suter for a top line forward and going after Brad Richards.

Old
05-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Your D core is very deep. I would look at a possible trade of Suter for a top line forward and going after Brad Richards.
Nah that's our section. Sather isn't GM here.

Old
05-09-2011, 10:15 PM
El Duderino

I notice in the OP you guys have 18.5M$ in capspace... how much of that can you guys spend (what's the projected budget for next season)? If you can, definitely go after Brad Richards, premier free agent who would bring instant offence to your team, to go along with your other offensive threats that will return from injury.

Old
05-09-2011, 10:19 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

We spend to whatever the cap midpoint is. That preserves our full share of revenue sharing

Old
05-09-2011, 10:35 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
We spend to whatever the cap midpoint is. That preserves our full share of revenue sharing
I think they are ready to go 70/30 next season.
Full barn, deeper PO run then before, TV contract, some local help will come for sure after this season.

Old
05-09-2011, 10:39 PM
GCM
Stork

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
I think they are ready to go 70/30 next season.
Full barn, deeper PO run then before, TV contract, some local help will come for sure after this season.
I think so too. A deep playoff run like this with promise should tip the owner's favor in investing more in the team for a better result in future years.

Pretty sure the Preds will have more money to play with, even after re-signing the likes of Weber and other RFAs.

Old
05-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Goalies: Resign Dekanich and have a competition for backup again, we expect Lindback to win but stranger things have happened. Plus gives us some options for trades come deadline time.

Defense: Resign Weber long-term. Sign Laakso for 7th d-man Evaluate Boullion, if he is still having signs of a concussion go for a buyout and resign SOB. If not let SOB walk.

Weber - Suter
Klein - Blum
Boullion - Franson
Laakso

Forwards: Try to resign all the forwards that played with Nashville except Sullivan. See how Lombardi is and if there is no progress then buy him out. As bad as our offense was this series, Vancouver had a great defense and a guy like Goc might have been a difference had he been able to play. We only lost by 1 goal every game (except 1 EN), an extra goal or two could have meant us moving on to play in the 3rd round. Really I want to reload and let the young guys grow some more (Kostitsyn, Hornqvist, Halischuk, Wilson).

Kostitsyn - Fisher(Lombardi?) - Hornqvist
Erat - Legwand - Ward
Spaling - Smithson - Tootoo
Halischuk - Goc - Wilson
Dumont - O'Reilly

Old
05-09-2011, 11:10 PM
JacklegJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm18 View Post
- Let jp and sully go
- Sign weber/suter/rinne long term
- Trade Franson for an offensive player (not a mike fisher...)
- Bring in Josi/Ellis for Franson
- re-sign ward, spaling, halischuk, goc to a few year deals (3 max...)
- re-sign SK to 1 year deal max
- re-sign SOB to 1 year, option for 2
I liked it up until this point. For the love of god, Preds management; please do not re-sign SOB. I'd take Franson over him any day of the week. There's simply not enough room on the defense for a penalty-magnet like him. He was certainly trying to make things as difficult as possible against the Ducks, we don't need that hassle.

I'd be a happy camper if we could get Bouillon moved in the off-season as well, a late-round draft pick wouldn't hurt the organization. His absence this season showed the team that they can get by fine without him, I'd like to see the young guys get a chance.

Weber - Suter
Klein - Blum
Franson - Josi
Laakso

Make it happen!

(I really doubt we'll see Ellis up with the big club much at all this season, Trotz is never one to rush a guy out of the AHL).

Old
05-09-2011, 11:28 PM
token grinder

way to ****ing soon. i think i need a break from hockey

Old
05-09-2011, 11:34 PM
predfan24

Ditto. I'll start looking at scenarios more in depth come June.

Old
05-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Agreed. I doubt that changes for next year, especially since the midpoint keeps rising. Yeah, we had increased attendance, but not enough to allow us come off of full revenue sharing.

Old
05-09-2011, 11:58 PM
roseyc

Well I this thread helps because it does take our minds off the loss. I just want to say one thing that I was always was against Legwand but that's over great playoffs.He's a playoff performer. So he's earned his right to retire here. Ward should be here as long as wants. Erat needs to go. Offer him up in trade or do something with him.... but he never comes through for you in big games. Mike Fisher was the best trade we made for deadline help. Brendon Witt and Forsberg were bad trades. Fisher's leadership was tremendous. That faceoff win in game in Anahiem for Weber's game tying goal and his defense shut down the Sedins and the 3 goals in the first series was worth a first round pick. Sk was major dissapointment along with Hornqvist. Are they hurt we'll find out. Our two best scorers didn't score in the series. They only scored one goal in the playoffs together. If they would have scored we would have won this series. They are back to square one and need to fight to find their place. Our Checking line was marvelous. They won the first series for us. They played great in this series. Our fourth line has problems and we need to go to camp and find out what we have. Our defense was great in this series and recovered in the first round. Weber has moved to Superstar ability and a great Captain. Suter was up and down in the series but he's great too. Rinne what can you say about him. He's going to keep getting better. I hope he gets the Vezina for his hard work. Klein needs to go. Blum was a revalation and Franson made good strides in playoffs. Klein was our weakest defenseman.
Here's how I see it for camp
These are the givens

Legwand/Ward/??
Fisher/Hornqvist/SK
Spaling/Smithson/Tootoo
Wilson/Geoffrin/Halischuk

Sully and Dumont and Erat should be gone
O'Reilly and Erat and Klein could bring you some kind of scorer or solid defenseman to take the load off Weber and Suter they were worn out but played great

Weber/Suter
????/Blum
SOB/Bouillon/Franson
in time SOB and Bouillon will go away maybe during the season one or both may go
But not until we find a better hammer than SOB to help out Weber and Suter

The great Rinne

Old
05-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Reviled
Partisan

Preds need a bonafide scorer...we're not getting one, for this next year, at least.

So what can we do to get better? How about an NHL-caliber powerplay? Just think if we had a PP that could actually shoot pucks, let alone score goals.

It has been estimated (by me, and my numbers may be off) that with a PP scoring at a measly 12%-15%, we would have scored 800 more goals in the reguar season, and 94 more goals in the playoffs.

I wonder what the scores in round two would have been with an extra one lousy PP goal per game, or just one every-other-game. Hmmmm.

So, forget spending money we don't have on a scorer (who Trotz will turn into a 3-way non-scorer anyway).

Instead fill the asst. coach opening with an effective PP coach with the authority to override Trotz and force the team to practice only PP as long as the PP conversion rate is below, say, 12%.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:23 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveTheTeamAlready View Post
Preds need a bonafide scorer...we're not getting one, for this next year, at least.

So what can we do to get better? How about an NHL-caliber powerplay? Just think if we had a PP that could actually shoot pucks, let alone score goals.

It has been estimated (by me, and my numbers may be off) that with a PP scoring at a measly 12%-15%, we would have scored 800 more goals in the reguar season, and 94 more goals in the playoffs.

I wonder what the scores in round two would have been with an extra one lousy PP goal per game, or just one every-other-game. Hmmmm.

So, forget spending money we don't have on a scorer (who Trotz will turn into a 3-way non-scorer anyway).

Instead fill the asst. coach opening with an effective PP coach with the authority to override Trotz and force the team to practice only PP as long as the PP conversion rate is below, say, 12%.
The one thing we don't have is a quarterback to run the pp. It's either SK or Erat on the sideboard and they won't shoot and as good as Weber's shot is I like Franson on the pp better because he actually gets the shot on net. Suter is not pp material as good a defenseman as he is his decision for passing are mostly weak.

Closed Thread