HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

A Walsh type President/GM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2011, 11:22 AM
  #26
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Boogaard was overpaid 500 thousand. Big whoop. Seriously people who complain about this deal have no concept of NHL economics.

Fro was a one year stop-gap deal.

We didn't expect to get both Dru and Gomez.

Gaborik was a smart free agent deal. He was down this year but he's still a gamer, don't forget about last year. He's got true skill.

Redden was a desperate move, his only real mistake post lockout. When you're a big spending club this will happen every once in a while. We buried it anyway.

Kotalik fell apart, not Sather's fault. Wasn't a huge contract.

Brashear again he's making peanuts. Get over it.



Which is why this thread's concept is a poor attempt to take another undeserved and unnecessary shot at Glen Sather. At least we didn't get SWEPT in round one.
LOL this post has more spin than a merry go round.

Quote:
We didn't expect to get both Dru and Gomez
So we obviously HAD to sign both? Wheeeeee!!! Stop the ride!!!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:32 AM
  #27
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
A great testament to the GM.
And so it looks like this is where the anti-Sather fan first, Rangers fan second ceases to even make his case and I feel like I'm this guy.




Again, what was our complaint about Sather pre-lockout? It was that we traded away all our youth, didn't develop from within. Now here are some names:

Lundqvist
Girardi
Staal
Sauer
McD
Dubi
Cally
Anisimov
Stepan
MZA
Gilroy
Boyle
Prust
W2

If that list doesn't convince you we're committed to developing youth, you're (whoever isn't convinced) hopeless.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:34 AM
  #28
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
LOL this post has more spin than a merry go round.



So we obviously HAD to sign both? Wheeeeee!!! Stop the ride!!!
My post above this one is my response to this garbage as well.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:36 AM
  #29
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post

Again, what was our complaint about Sather pre-lockout? It was that we traded away all our youth, didn't develop from within. Now here are some names:
The complaint before the lockout was also bad talent evaluation in free agent signings. That has not changed after the lockout.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:40 AM
  #30
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
The complaint before the lockout was also bad talent evaluation in free agent signings. That has not changed after the lockout.
Oh please, do you even believe this stuff? That was not the major complaint. That's part of not developing from within. We now develop from within. We're doing a great job of developing from within. Some people just enjoy being unhappy...

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:44 AM
  #31
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Again, what was our complaint about Sather pre-lockout?
The complaint about Sather is the same then as is it now — he has not built a winning team. Nothing else matters.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:49 AM
  #32
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The complaint about Sather is the same then as is it now he has not built a winning team.
So you'll be bitter until we hoist the cup? I feel sorry for you. Some of us can appreciate the buds in springtime, and I guess some can only appreciate the flowers of early summer.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:52 AM
  #33
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
So you'll be bitter until we hoist the cup? I feel sorry for you. Some of us can appreciate the buds in springtime, and I guess some can only appreciate the flowers of early summer.
I'm not doing cartwheels because the Rangers weren't swept in the first round, if that's what you're asking.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:08 PM
  #34
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Oh please, do you even believe this stuff? That was not the major complaint. That's part of not developing from within. We now develop from within. We're doing a great job of developing from within. Some people just enjoy being unhappy...
This is just more spin...trying to erase Sather's prior bad talent evaluations, because they don't fit your mantra of Sather improving after the lockout.

When this team actually becomes a Stanley Cup contender, I will be happy.


Last edited by Jersey Girl: 05-09-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 10:14 PM
  #35
gotmonte
Registered User
 
gotmonte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
I was commenting on how Sather didnt draft Girardi, he signed him when he went undrafted. And that Staal was a high draft pick. How can you credit sather for a good pick when it was under HIS WATCH that the Rangers stunk so badly they were awarded a high pick. What was Staal drafted? 5th/6th? Some very high number and a cant miss prospect Boogard had no business on this team to begin with. He was a very bad player that could ONLY drop the gloves. Sather had no business signing him to begin with, let alone for too much.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 10:16 PM
  #36
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
. I was commenting on how Sather didnt draft Girardi, he signed him when he went undrafted. And that Staal was a high draft pick. How can you credit sather for a good pick when it was under HIS WATCH that the Rangers stunk so badly they were awarded a high pick. What was Staal drafted? 5th/6th? Some very high number and a cant miss prospect Boogard had no business on this team to begin with. He was a very bad player that could ONLY drop the gloves. Sather had no business signing him to begin with, let alone for too much.
Staal was drafted 12th and the Rangers traded up to get him, if I'm not mistaken.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 10:22 PM
  #37
gotmonte
Registered User
 
gotmonte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Staal was drafted 12th and the Rangers traded up to get him, if I'm not mistaken.
Oh boy. I missed that one badly!

i really thought he was a high draft pick. Ok no problem. I will give sather THAT one

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:49 AM
  #38
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Again, it was Sather spending what little money he had.



He is and was an injury concern who averages 51 points a season for his career.
Can't disagree with most of your points, but . . .

-Frolov's contract didn't really handcuff Sather. 1 year deal, 3M cap hit. The little money he spent here was worth the risk.

-Gaborik may be averaging 51 points in his career, but as a Ranger, he has 134 points in 138 games. 69GP/67P average thus far his first two season's in NY. I don't think we should care what he accomplished in another city 5 years ago. Or what he's averaged. He's here now, his value is greater to us than it would be in a trade. He's only 1 year away from being a 'great signing'.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 05:49 AM
  #39
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,477
vCash: 500
The Rangers are in a better position now than they've been in 15 years. Patience.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 05:52 AM
  #40
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Staal was drafted 12th and the Rangers traded up to get him, if I'm not mistaken.
Yup, from 16th and they had that pick from the post-lockout lottery. Luck of the draw. A solid Anaheim team had pick #2.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 05:54 AM
  #41
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Can't disagree with most of your points, but . . .

-Frolov's contract didn't really handcuff Sather. 1 year deal, 3M cap hit. The little money he spent here was worth the risk.

-Gaborik may be averaging 51 points in his career, but as a Ranger, he has 134 points in 138 games. 69GP/67P average thus far his first two season's in NY. I don't think we should care what he accomplished in another city 5 years ago. Or what he's averaged. He's here now, his value is greater to us than it would be in a trade. He's only 1 year away from being a 'great signing'.
I never said the Frolov contract handcuffed him. What I did say is it was another example of Sather throwing money around when the claim was made that, unlike Walsh, Sather doesn't sign big name free agents when he can. At this point, all Frolov is is a name. His production has been declining since 06-07 — so at the very least its another example of an inability to evaluate talent.

You should care about the average number of games played and the fact that the Rangers are paying for the 09-10 Gaborik not the 10-11 Gaborik. You should be concerned that his production dropped 42 points despite playing only 12 games fewer.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 05:55 AM
  #42
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
The Rangers are in a better position now than they've been in 15 years. Patience.
Patience? You mention the word patience and then reference 15 years? I'd love to see what impatient is.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:50 AM
  #43
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Patience? You mention the word patience and then reference 15 years? I'd love to see what impatient is.
Seriously. Most of these guys must be Tibetan monks or something. Seems like they're ready to wait centuries to "complete the rebuild" and have a legitimate shot at winning the Cup.

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:54 AM
  #44
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I never said the Frolov contract handcuffed him. What I did say is it was another example of Sather throwing money around when the claim was made that, unlike Walsh, Sather doesn't sign big name free agents when he can. At this point, all Frolov is is a name. His production has been declining since 06-07 so at the very least its another example of an inability to evaluate talent.
Frolov wasn't a big free-agent. Nor a big name. Despite his statistical decline Frolov was still a good hockey player who was good for 50+ points.

I get what you're saying, I just don't agree with the player you're basing things on. 28 year old potential top-6 LW on a 1 year deal isn't the best example of things.

Not disagreeing with your outlook here. Just the player you're basing that outlook on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You should care about the average number of games played and the fact that the Rangers are paying for the 09-10 Gaborik not the 10-11 Gaborik. You should be concerned that his production dropped 42 points despite playing only 12 games fewer.
I don't see what Gaborik's injury a half-decade ago has to do with him today. Unless his groin starts to hamper his play, it's absolutely meaningless. Again, as a Ranger, he's average 67 points in 69 games. That's the stat that interests me.

I'm absolutely concerned about his statistical decline this season, but I've been a sports fan long enough to know players are human who don't always perform at the same level.

If Gaborik scores 47G next season in 72 games, would your opinion differ much from its current stance?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 09:55 PM
  #45
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Patience? You mention the word patience and then reference 15 years? I'd love to see what impatient is.
My point is that the team started a TRUE rebuild when they decided to let Jagr, Shanahan and Nylander go, and bring in stopgaps like Naslund for a year while the kids were brought in to play.

Dubinsky and Callahan should just about be at their primes. Anisimov, Stepan and Boyle are improving, and once we get guys like Kreider, Thomas, Grachev, Hagelin, etc. in we're gonna be even better off.

Basically, the thing I'm trying to get at here is the Rangers are in a better spot now than they have been in years, so I'd rather them do it right and win a cup in 2-3 years than rush anything by signing guys like Gagne or other overpriced FA's in order to try to win now. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

That's not to say I don't want Richards though, I do. I think he'll help, is still in his prime, and the #1 C that we don't have in the system.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 10:20 PM
  #46
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
My point is that the team started a TRUE rebuild when they decided to let Jagr, Shanahan and Nylander go, and bring in stopgaps like Naslund for a year while the kids were brought in to play.

Dubinsky and Callahan should just about be at their primes. Anisimov, Stepan and Boyle are improving, and once we get guys like Kreider, Thomas, Grachev, Hagelin, etc. in we're gonna be even better off.

Basically, the thing I'm trying to get at here is the Rangers are in a better spot now than they have been in years, so I'd rather them do it right and win a cup in 2-3 years than rush anything by signing guys like Gagne or other overpriced FA's in order to try to win now. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

That's not to say I don't want Richards though, I do. I think he'll help, is still in his prime, and the #1 C that we don't have in the system.
I fail to see how this team is a Cup contender in 2-3 years let alone win a Cup, Richards or no Richards.

And are they really in a better spot than they have been in years? 4 years ago they were a win away from the ECF. They have won 1 playoff game in the last two seasons.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 10:27 PM
  #47
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Patience? You mention the word patience and then reference 15 years? I'd love to see what impatient is.
This. I turn 20 next month. That's three fourths of my life

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 10:28 PM
  #48
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
The Rangers are in a better position now than they've been in 15 years. Patience.
My ass. We were primed in 2008 and should've at least made a conference finals appearance, if not go all the way.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 10:36 PM
  #49
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
You cannot compare the NBA to the NHL. They are very different leagues in all aspects. When it comes to players, Stars can have a much bigger influence on a game in the NBA, much more than the NHL. Look at Miami and how well they are doing simply putting a couple of the best on one team. If u put Crosby, Ovi on the same team it would not equal Cup or even playoffs for that matter. My point is its usless to compare the building of the two teams. Obviously a star like Melo can make enough of a difference to trade a large portion of the team. Although in a hockey it truly is a team game, 1 weak player can really effect the hockey team, but in the NBA a weak guy doesent make as much difference.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 10:38 PM
  #50
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
My ass. We were primed in 2008 and should've at least made a conference finals appearance, if not go all the way.
Exactly people seem to think that team was worse than it was. That was the best team by a mile in the last 15 years. Sure i like guys like Sauer right now but our overall team now does not compare to that team.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.