HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laviolette still building trust with captain Richards

Old
05-09-2011, 11:55 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Laviolette still building trust with captain Richards

Well well well as I noted in the thread asking when people thought Laviolette might get canned...I'm still going with midway next season but the possibility exists it could be earlier in the season if Richards doesn't have buy in with the coach......

This is a big deal and very illuminating and given how Richards looked detached this year despite his injury it's not surprising...

To me the most public clue was when Richards called out Lavy for messing with the personnel on the PP too much....

Anyway, obviously Lavi is being diplomatic about the "relationship" between him and Richards. It would be interesting to get Richards' take on Lavi so that we can get more insight into this very important issue between the captain and coach....bears keeping tabs on this.

Some notable quotes that provide insight are below..take note of Laviolette's comments about wanting a bonafide number 1! Too bad his boss doesn't think it's a problem or so he said in public to save face most likely...

Quote:
There have been widespread rumors, even reports in Canada lately, that Laviolette and Richards simply weren’t talking by season’s end.

Sources CSNPhilly.com talked to in the past month said the same thing.

“That’s incorrect information,” Laviolette told CSNPhilly.com on Monday night. “I can’t control what guys write or say.

“If you ask me a question if we were talking at the end of the season, the answer is, ‘yes.’ I have a relationship with Mike and I think it is something we can work on over time.”

And that in itself is illuminating.

Because in the almost two seasons Laviolette has been here, the relationship between himself and Richards – who can be moody and withdrawn – is still not developed.

Laviolette admitted that relationship is still in its infancy and needs more work, though he said he had no issues with Richards.

If the captain isn’t confiding in the coach on a regular basis, that can be a problem.

Quote:
On the ice, throughout much of the year, there appeared to be an emotional detachment by Richards from the game itself. He often seemed unhappy among reporters. One player said candidly Richards was the “most unhappy superstar” in Philadelphia.

The Flyers plan to discuss some of these things with Richards in the weeks ahead.

Richards is not an easy guy to get to know or develop a rapport with.

“All relationships are built,” Laviolette said. “You don’t come in and put your hand on someone’s hip and say, ‘you and I are best friends’. Mike and I continue to work on our relationship. I respect him as a person and we continue to work on that.”

Do you see eye to eye?

“I would think so,” Laviolette replied.
ON THE GOALTENDING SOAP OPERA

Quote:
For the first time since being swept by the Bruins in the Eastern Conference semifinals, Laviolette admitted his goaltending wasn’t as good as it had been during much of the regular season.

He also agreed that things would be “easier” on everyone if there was a bonafide starter he knew was his “guy” (No. 1) every night without or having to use a carousel.

Laviolette never used the term “No. 1” but his remarks speak for themselves.

“You’d have to have me pin numbers and you know how I hate the number game,” he said.

“In the playoffs, down the stretch and in the playoffs, it was a little bit inconsistent for us for where we needed it to be. But for the most part, our goaltending was solid all year. We were able to get through the Buffalo series. And then we played poorly in front of our goaltender in Game 1.”

Is it easier to know when you have a No.1 guy to go to every night?

“To know that you got a guy that is [No. 1] yeah, yeah, for sure,” Laviolette said.

As for the goalie carousel in the playoffs with so many switches, he said it worked last year and wasn’t ideal, either, and the Flyers made the Stanley Cup Final.

“We went to the Final and came up a couple games shy,” Laviolette said. “It’s a carousel, this guy is going in and out and it’s moving. Would it be nice to have a guy come in and [be No. 1], yeah. Bob [Sergei Bobrovsky] might be that guy. Those questions will get answered this summer.”

SOURCE: http://www.csnphilly.com/05/09/11/La...766&feedID=704

RELATED THREAD:

HOW LONG BEFORE LAVIOLETTE GETS CANNED?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=911940

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 05-10-2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: sp
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Yeah, I see the media picking quotes apart to find drama.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:27 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, I see the media picking quotes apart to find drama.

Can you read this?

I don't see it as drama....clearly by Laviolette's comments and the play of the Flyers since the second half...people are not on the same page. Even Pronger mentioned when they were becoming inconsistent that some people in the room are on different pages. This is an issue as much as people want to deny it....no different than the goaltending situation. But to each their own...

Old
05-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
He often seemed unhappy among reporters.
That's because he hates the Philly reporters, Tim. All of you. He's perfectly affable when interviewed by TSN or Versus.

There might have been some "locker room issues," but the witch hunt that's going on right now is insane. The team got comfortable. They weren't able to regain their mid-season form. Their goaltending didn't go well in the first series. They lost confidence. They got swept.

That's it. There are no hissy fits being thrown between Richards and Lavi on a day-to-day basis.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post

Can you read this?

I don't see it as drama....clearly by Laviolette's comments and the play of the Flyers since the second half...people are not on the same page. Even Pronger mentioned when they were becoming inconsistent that some people in the room are on different pages. This is an issue as much as people want to deny it....no different than the goaltending situation. But to each their own...
Quite a few people were also injured. Almost everyone was probably exhausted from the playoff run the year before resulting in a short offseason.

I'm not looking to find the sky falling where it might not be, or freak out about intangible locker room crap...especially when our only source for that is the media which is more concerned about creating a story than being perfectly honest.

I'm more immediately concerned about the goaltending situation, and the number of people who apparently need surgery.

Old
05-10-2011, 12:34 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
That's because he hates the Philly reporters, Tim. All of you. He's perfectly affable when interviewed by TSN or Versus.

There might have been some "locker room issues," but the witch hunt that's going on right now is insane. The team got comfortable. They weren't able to regain their mid-season form. Their goaltending didn't go well in the first series. They lost confidence. They got swept.

That's it. There are no hissy fits being thrown between Richards and Lavi on a day-to-day basis.
Maybe Panaccio is just being Panaccio but he does still have access whereas nobody here on HFBoards does so we can only go by what is being reported and Lavi's own words. Attacking the messenger (Panaccio) may be fair game but caution against the knee-jerk reaction. Like I said..bears watching. None of this collapse occurred out of a vacuum and we are getting insight day by day....let's see how this and other issues play out in the coming months that is all.....no more and no less.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 05-10-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: sp
Old
05-10-2011, 12:37 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Quite a few people were also injured. Almost everyone was probably exhausted from the playoff run the year before resulting in a short offseason.

I'm not looking to find the sky falling where it might not be, or freak out about intangible locker room crap...especially when our only source for that is the media which is more concerned about creating a story than being perfectly honest.

I'm more immediately concerned about the goaltending situation, and the number of people who apparently need surgery.
You do realize that Pin-headaccio though is not the only one that has mentioned this issue...reported in Canada and even Meltzer mentioned a rift in the locker room. It is an issue...how big we shall see.

Old
05-10-2011, 12:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

The supposed division of the lockerroom between the Pronger followers and the Richards followers was also highly touted by the media when things weren't going right last season. Then it disappeared.

This is what they (the media) do. Instead of trying to find valid reasons why the team struggled, they decide to go the sensational, dramatic route.

I don't trust it in the least.

Old
05-10-2011, 12:43 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Maybe Panaccio is just being Panaccio but he does still have access whereas nobody here on HFBoards does so we can only go by what is being reported and Lavi's own words. Attacking the messenger (Panaccio) may be fair game but caution against the knee-jerk reaction. Like I said..bears watching. None of this collapse occurred out of a vacuum and we are getting insight day by day....let's see how this and other issues play out in the coming months that is all.....no more and no less.
It's not just Tim though, it's all the Philly reporters. They're out to write a good story, not to report straight facts. After all, who would read just facts? Not to mention that we're now hearing that the "Pronger/Giroux Deathmatch" that everyone was reporting was, by all accounts, distorted.

They got too comfortable and couldn't get it back together. When they tried, a lot of people got injured. It happens. I don't see the Washington papers saying that Ovechkin is an awful captain because the Caps got swept.

Old
05-10-2011, 12:44 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I hate the off-season.

05-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I hate the off-season.
Agreed. I most hate the part in between now and the draft (or, in our case, July 1st).

Old
05-10-2011, 12:51 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
It's not just Tim though, it's all the Philly reporters. They're out to write a good story, not to report straight facts. After all, who would read just facts? Not to mention that we're now hearing that the "Pronger/Giroux Deathmatch" that everyone was reporting was, by all accounts, distorted.

They got too comfortable and couldn't get it back together. When they tried, a lot of people got injured. It happens. I don't see the Washington papers saying that Ovechkin is an awful captain because the Caps got swept.
Not denying with the media there is that element of sensationalism.....again bears following and would like to get Richards' take. If Panaccio and the rest of the media had integrity they would get the other side of the story..so let's see.

Having said this..I've followed hockey and this team for 25 years now and this kind of stuff always starts out like this (as conjecture) and then snowballs into reality. I remember it with the zillions of coaches we've had in the 25 years I've followed this team. The theme is always the same. I knew Stevens was going to get canned and he should have before they gave him that extension and let him squander half the year. The same with Hitchcock who Richards wasn't exactly fond of...and luckily he was canned b/c we almost lost Richards to Hitchcock's ways. Even remember Gagne saying not everybody can take Hitch's ways....have to be thick skinned. I think with Lavy it's the same.

I think what needs to be done is to reassess the leadership roles in there and get some Carolina players etc that buy into Lavi's message and then have them rein in the others who don't or won't. If Holmgren can't do that then this could metastasize..again we shall see.

Old
05-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Not denying with the media there is that element of sensationalism.....again bears following and would like to get Richards' take. If Panaccio and the rest of the media had integrity they would get the other side of the story..so let's see.

Having said this..I've followed hockey and this team for 25 years now and this kind of stuff always starts out like this (as conjecture) and then snowballs into reality. I remember it with the zillions of coaches we've had in the 25 years I've followed this team. The theme is always the same. I knew Stevens was going to get canned and he should have before they gave him that extension and let him squander half the year. The same with Hitchcock who Richards wasn't exactly fond of...and luckily he was canned b/c we almost lost Richards to Hitchcock's ways. Even remember Gagne saying not everybody can take Hitch's ways....have to be thick skinned. I think with Lavy it's the same.

I think what needs to be done is to reassess the leadership roles in there and get some Carolina players etc that buy into Lavi's message and then have them rein in the others who don't or won't. If Holmgren can't do that then this could metastasize..again we shall see.
Except, according to all reports, Richards and Stevens were bestest friends and Richards and crew were pissed when Stevens was fired. Stevens wasn't fired because Richards decreed it, he was fired because he was a crappy coach.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:00 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Except, according to all reports, Richards and Stevens were bestest friends and Richards and crew were pissed when Stevens was fired. Stevens wasn't fired because Richards decreed it, he was fired because he was a crappy coach.
I said Hitch and Richards not Stevens....it was obvious they were fond of each other...maybe too fond as Stevens allowed too much romper room time.

Also who is saying there was a "decree" with Hitch or others although Barber did get run out somewhat..by Primeau and co.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:01 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I said Hitch and Richards not Stevens....it was obvious they were fond of each other...maybe too fond as Stevens allowed too much romper room time
Sorry, I thought the implication there was they were both fired because Richards disapproved.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:04 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Sorry, I thought the implication there was they were both fired because Richards disapproved.
No problem...not my intention if it came out like that. And yes Stevens was a crappy coach...Hitch was good but again another one with a short shelf life. Supposedly NJ might want him....

Old
05-10-2011, 01:08 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
No problem...not my intention if it came out like that. And yes Stevens was a crappy coach...Hitch was good but again another one with a short shelf life. Supposedly NJ might want him....
Since we're on that topic, he was the first person who popped into my mind to take over either NJ or WSH. However, the local GM has already proclaimed his belief that Bruce is a good coach and should stay...so NJ, perhaps. Because apparently GMGM likes losing in the playoffs.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:11 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Since we're on that topic, he was the first person who popped into my mind to take over either NJ or WSH. However, the local GM has already proclaimed his belief that Bruce is a good coach and should stay...so NJ, perhaps. Because apparently GMGM likes losing in the playoffs.
Hosni Mubarak has Snider disease....too much loyalty....

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 05-10-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: sp
Old
05-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Hosni Mubarak has Snider disease....too much loyalty....

I suspect it has more to do with Bruce's preferred "ALL OFFENSE" style, which until this season (when it was time to attempt defense) was a blast to watch live...and people around here are willing to pay for it.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:23 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

If Lavi goes can we get Ted Nolan?

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:08 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I saw Richards eating a cheesesteak.

He's obviously partying too much and going against his coaches and trainers by eating something so fattening but the real question is why is he binging on fattening food at all?

Did something happen? Did Carter sleep with his girlfriend?

Maybe he got really depressed when he saw Pronger yelling at Giroux.

More tonight on CSN.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

This is the Philly media to the pro athlete as far as I can tell.

1. I say nothing. (Media invents questions out of silence. Roots around. Bothers other players or pundits about my "situation".)
2. I speak somewhat of the truth, being careful. (Media takes quotes out of context. Speculates endlessly in negative ways to sell newspapers, gain air-time, get hits on websites.)
3. I put out the same pro-team rhetoric which is meaningless but gives the reporters something and may or may not be a total lie on my part. I leave for home feeling like a fraud. (Media gets some sound bites.)
4. I'm Chris Pronger. (I win the hell out of the media, because my closed-door contract is professional troll. U mad?)

Must be fun.

I don't blame Richards.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:24 AM
MsWoof

As for the comment Elliotte Friedman made to Canadian radio, keep in mind he was covering the game for CBC and was part of the media scrums so he would have talked to members of the Philly media about things. The Philly media is ridiculous, after the morning skate on game 3, they had Carter in a scrum and every single media member asked him questions about his knee and when he'd be playing again. He kept giving generic answers because they don't discuss things like that during the playoffs. Afterward, Carchidi kept repeatedly tweeting how "uncomfortable" the interview with Carter was. When I finally was able to watch it I couldn't believe the way he went on about it, I thought he had a 1 on 1 interview and was asking a bunch of different questions when in fact it was ten people asking the same damned thing! How is that uncomfortable? He did what every player coming off injury does because that's what they're supposed to do.

So yeah, the spin is incredible. Anthony SanFillipo did the same thing with a Richards interview on twitter. It was just audio and he named the clip "Richards seething" but when I played it, there was no seething. They're just brutal writers.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:58 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

the flyers should waive the philly media this off season and pick up the relocating phoenix media. stanley cup is as good as ours!

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 09:18 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

Agreed on all counts.

We lost in the play-offs, it happens. The team played like crap most of the last 20 games of the season. That's a quarter of a season. We carried our lack of momentum into the playoffs and barely beat a Buffalo team that sucks other then Ryan Miller and Tyler Myers.

I'm not surprised the guy who set an NHL record for save percentage put on a clinic and was a huge difference maker while Boucher and our defense blew easy goals. Our guys had zero confidence beyond a few exceptions like JVR.

You guys and your witch hunts are a joke. Next season half the guys you want cast-off have great playoffs and then half of you will be drinking the kool-aid as if it was the master plan all along.

Richards and Carter are the face of the franchise. They are not going anywhere, whether you like it or not. Get over yourselves.

Quote:
The supposed division of the lockerroom between the Pronger followers and the Richards followers was also highly touted by the media when things weren't going right last season. Then it disappeared.

This is what they (the media) do. Instead of trying to find valid reasons why the team struggled, they decide to go the sensational, dramatic route.

I don't trust it in the least.
Pretty much, the media, like all media, cares only about sensational headlines and getting readers attention. They are not in the business of telling the truth, they are in the business of selling newspapers or increasing website hits.

Pronger doesn't respect Timmeh P either, he always gives him a hard time. Anyone who has watched any interview with Timmeh and Prongs since Pronger got here would know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I hate the off-season.
I hate the off-season ... on HFBoards.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote