HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

'Git-R-Dun' Nashville vs. Vancouver game 6 7PM CST

Old
05-10-2011, 02:26 AM
tserberis*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Well to be fair I only called one dude a pansy...Kostitsyn...and prefaced it by saying he's only a pansy IF he isn't injured. And I stand by that. Yes, he did great in the regular season. But we're at a point with our franchise that regular season success doesn't mean beans if you can't translate that success to the playoffs. I feel like Kostitsyn in particular (again, if he isn't injured) prefers to play a more open game and wilts under the tight checking and suffocating defense of the playoffs. And not only was he not producing, but he wasn't doing ANYTHING. At least when Fisher wasn't scoring, for some of the time he was winning faceoffs and blocking shots and contributing in other ways. Kostitsyn didn't contribute **** this series.

That said, I'd still like to re-sign him if the powers that be think he can really buy in to our system. And now maybe we can do that for way less money due to his nonexistent playoff performance.
And who did better for his money???

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 02:41 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
And who did better for his money???
In this series, Fisher did.

In general, I see what you're saying. But we all know how unusual Kostitsyn's money situation is; the only reason he was signed for beans is b/c he had such an atrocious reputation in Montreal, to the point where they benched him during their playoff run last year.

His salary doesn't change the fact that he disappeared this series and didn't make up for his lack of points with other contributions. If you wanna win in the playoffs some of your top line guys need to step up; if the other team shuts them down, they win. That's what happened here.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 03:28 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
This game was just the story of our season.

Come out hard, have a ton of chances and shots, a few PPs....and don't score.

Then the other team comes down and gets a flukey-ass goal and we never recover.

And when we do finally settle down and get on the board, we just can never get that one last goal we need.

I never wanted to say this before for fear of jinxing anything but now that it's over...The Sedins looked disinterested in playing this series. Maybe our D just did a great job (which they did), but they didn't seem to want to do much work at all.

We should just decline the PP, advance the clock 2 minutes and start play again. It's just 2 minutes guaranteed we don't score.

I shook Stu Grimson's hand after the game. Holy crap, that was a strong handshake, and I think it completely enveloped my hand. I would never be brave enough to be on the receiving end of those fists.

Only 4 months until training camp....well that's the shortest time we've ever had to wait! ......

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Jarnberg

I'd love to see what Kesler thought about the Canucks style in the third period after he ripped our team for a defensive style in the regular season.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:29 AM
tserberis*

Quote:
In this series, Fisher did.

In general, I see what you're saying. But we all know how unusual Kostitsyn's money situation is; the only reason he was signed for beans is b/c he had such an atrocious reputation in Montreal, to the point where they benched him during their playoff run last year.

His salary doesn't change the fact that he disappeared this series and didn't make up for his lack of points with other contributions. If you wanna win in the playoffs some of your top line guys need to step up; if the other team shuts them down, they win. That's what happened here.
I am saying that half of the team was flat. Even your God Weber. Three goals was scored because of his direct mistakes. But you picked one guy and gonna blame everything on him, because of all the guys who is been out flat this series he is the one who has 'reputation' and sure you gonna subconsciously blame him.

He was benched before the playoffs... Just so you know.

Old
05-10-2011, 08:41 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I am saying that half of the team was flat. Even your God Weber. Three goals was scored because of his direct mistakes. But you picked one guy and gonna blame everything on him, because of all the guys who is been out flat this series he is the one who has 'reputation' and sure you gonna subconsciously blame him.

OK, we know you are buddies with one of the Kostitsyns but now you are just being a complete homer.

nobody is blaming the whole playoff loss on him. But SK did absolutely SUCK for the entire playoffs. That is undeniable.

the only other regular player who was as disappointing through the whole postseason was Hornqvist.

I agree Erat, Weber and Suter werent at their best vs Vancouver but they did play very well against Anaheim.

I am all for re-signing SK but I think he deserves either a one year deal or if its multiple years it cant be for much over 2 mil per. he signed here with a bad history. he took significant steps toward redeeming himself but after the playoff tank job he has more to prove before he gets fat money for multiple years.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:44 AM
PhoneGuy

Walked out of the Bridge with fuzzy ears again last night. Note to self : remember ear plugs for next year.

I'm proud of the guys for competing as well as they did, and for all that they accomplished this year. I can remember vividly here in the not too distant past where I didn't know if we were even going to be in the playoffs, much less in the second round and almost the third.

I'm also proud of my fellow members of Pred Nation. Loud and proud to the end, and then some. I got goosebumps last night after the game was over, to look around and see all of the fans standing and cheering the boys for their efforts. I thought of a great sign for next year if we make the playoffs again :

"Don't You Wish Your Fans Were This Loud??"

I'm not a sign person, so to those who are, feel free to use it if you like.

Much as I hate it, I'm going to be pulling for the Sharks to dispatch both the Wings and the Canucks, and then regardless of who wins the west, I'll be rooting for the Bolts to take it all.

Thanks again Preds and Pred Nation - it was a fun ride!!!

PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Devils defense.

vCash: 735
Hey fans - I'm a Devils fan 100% but I've been watching all the games and I gotta say I feel the Preds got shafted so many times this series with stupid calls and non-calls I felt as frustrated as many of you. One thing I can't stand is floppers and "cheap hockey" like Kesler pulled off so much in this series. Running the goalie early last night really was the last straw for me - so classless.

He cost you two games early in the series with his holding the stick that lead to an OT win then back somersault when Suter touched him to lead to the GWG and then of all things the league decides because of the diving talk to crack down with a bull whip on the slightest thing and they nail Tootoo for it (despite the fact it was indeed interference and should have been 2 min each) and it leads to the GWG. It sours me to no end...

Anyhoo - I think you deserved better and I think you've got such an excellent core of players with Rinne, Weber, Legwand and Suter that the future will be bright with some added firepower up front.

MAJOR applause to the fans at the games - so loud, so proud and going the extra mile to let the team know their efforts were appreciated despite the outcome.

I'll leave you with this as I head over to the San Jose bandwagon for tonight's game.

*cheers*

Funniest moment of morning was Jaromir Jagr trying to get @KenDaneykoMSG to say, "Ruutu to Tootoo, 2-on-1" quickly.
Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 09:50 AM
JacklegJack

^ I LOL'd.

As annoying as all the calls that didn't go our way were, we did have a few that went our way and there were a couple times where I even felt we deserved to get a penalty but nothing was called. Not many, but enough not to warrant a "NHL doesn't want us to win!!" conspiracy.

It's also kind of funny how we had more "lucky" goals in this series than we did all season (I put luck in quotations because I still chalk most of it up to skill and quick-thinking on the part of our players). But I kept thinking that if only we got some more lucky bounces we would've won the series, but the fact is we did have a lot of luck on our side. Suter's goal from behind the net, Legwand's banked shot off of Edler, Legwand's goal from behind the net... Those are all goals where if anything had been even half an inch off, it wouldn't have bounced into the net. And in a series where we only scored 11 goals, we needed those. Hopefully next time we won't need 'em so much.

Last edited by JacklegJack: 05-10-2011 at 10:16 AM.
JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 09:55 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Hey fans - I'm a Devils fan 100% but I've been watching all the games and I gotta say I feel the Preds got shafted so many times this series with stupid calls and non-calls I felt as frustrated as many of you. One thing I can't stand is floppers and "cheap hockey" like Kesler pulled off so much in this series. Running the goalie early last night really was the last straw for me - so classless.

He cost you two games early in the series with his holding the stick that lead to an OT win then back somersault when Suter touched him to lead to the GWG and then of all things the league decides because of the diving talk to crack down with a bull whip on the slightest thing and they nail Tootoo for it (despite the fact it was indeed interference and should have been 2 min each) and it leads to the GWG. It sours me to no end...

Anyhoo - I think you deserved better and I think you've got such an excellent core of players with Rinne, Weber, Legwand and Suter that the future will be bright with some added firepower up front.

MAJOR applause to the fans at the games - so loud, so proud and going the extra mile to let the team know their efforts were appreciated despite the outcome.

I'll leave you with this as I head over to the San Jose bandwagon for tonight's game.

*cheers*

Thank you kindly. I personally was so proud of everyone cheering so loudly despite losing the series at home.

And great gif, made me laugh out loud for real.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 09:59 AM
DracoFulmineus
Out in a storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post
Much as I hate it, I'm going to be pulling for the Sharks to dispatch both the Wings and the Canucks, and then regardless of who wins the west, I'll be rooting for the Bolts to take it all.

Thanks again Preds and Pred Nation - it was a fun ride!!!
Yay!!! If you want a bandwagon avatar, they'll make you one over on our board. Most of us were cheering for you guys, too.

It's my dream to see a game in all 30 arenas one day, and after watching you guys play these past few week, Bridgestone is top of my list.

DracoFulmineus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 10:32 AM
predfan24

Quote:

Guys who didn't produce offensively like we want them or to such as Erat, Fisher, Weber, Suter still are useful hockey players when not getting on scoresheet.

If SK isn't creating offense he is a useless player.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 10:34 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post

Forever favorited

Old
05-10-2011, 10:53 AM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
OK, we know you are buddies with one of the Kostitsyns but now you are just being a complete homer.

nobody is blaming the whole playoff loss on him. But SK did absolutely SUCK for the entire playoffs. That is undeniable.

the only other regular player who was as disappointing through the whole postseason was Hornqvist.

I agree Erat, Weber and Suter werent at their best vs Vancouver but they did play very well against Anaheim.

I am all for re-signing SK but I think he deserves either a one year deal or if its multiple years it cant be for much over 2 mil per. he signed here with a bad history. he took significant steps toward redeeming himself but after the playoff tank job he has more to prove before he gets fat money for multiple years.
If he really likes it here, he'll stay, he is not a greedy guy, otherwise he would be at KHL already.
I think he did alright against Ducks. Made some key plays.

What I really want to see it is how greedy Weber will be.

As for me I would sign with club even for less money, if that the one I really want to be with. I think he'll make enough money through his time. So we will see if that the club he wants to be with.

Old
05-10-2011, 10:58 AM
sameer786

Hey guys, Vancouver fan here. I just wanted to say what an amazing series. You guys played very well, the compete level of the Predators is amazing to watch. With all the games being one-goal, a couple different bounces could of totally changed this series. I look for you guys to follow up with a dangerous playoff performance next year!

sameer786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:16 AM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Guys who didn't produce offensively like we want them or to such as Erat, Fisher, Weber, Suter still are useful hockey players when not getting on scoresheet.

If SK isn't creating offense he is a useless player.
When you have team full of useful players but who don't score, at the end of the day their effort is useless.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:30 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
What I really want to see it is how greedy Weber will be.
Give me a break. Greedy? I'm sure you ask your boss for less money at work so you can not seem "greedy".

Weber deserves to be paid for his talent and performance.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:35 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Weber... greedy? Yeah I guess that's why he could have easily signed a deal that would have left him as a UFA, and thus in control of his own contract destiny once it expired. Except he signed a deal for a year less in order to be an RFA afterwards. He's loyal, not greedy. Unless he holds out for some ridiculous contract and walks I don't see how anyone can call him greedy. He's earned every last cent of a $7mil/10yr deal. Every damn penny.

As for SK, he's shown potential to be a very good player. If he's smart he takes a deal at 2-3 years, $2mil. He proves he can play at that level for more than just a season (and preferably in more than just one play off round against a team with some actual defense), and then he goes for a big raise. The kid is what? 23? Is he even that old? He has plenty of time. He's not even hitting his prime for another couple of years AT LEAST. Unless he has the same agent Radulov has he'll understand that now is the time to take what he can get and prove himself, later is the time to set himself up for the rest of his life.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:45 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
It may be a pivotal playoffs in terms of the long term viability of hockey in Nashville. Likely the mini-run has turned some fans in the South on to hockey.

Now......what's the deal with your TV there? No versus, then no watch? What percentage of homes do you figure in Nashville carry versus?
Sorry I didn't get back to you faster. After I posted I closed the computer and started blowing **** up on GTA4 haha

First, yes. Definitely a pivotal play off run. It was almost like a perfect storm this season for the long term viability of the market. We saw a simultaneous increase in attendance and decrease in comps (per numbers reported to the Nashville Sports Authority), and then on top of that we played six sell-out play off games here, won one series on home ice, and saw the future of the team actually making up a good amount of the team after an injury-plagued season. The buzz around not only Nashville, but even the surrounding areas is growing dramatically. We're getting international exposure, and it's GOOD exposure for a change. I think for the first handful of seasons it was new, and it was ours. We were happy to have a team, and we were busy learning all of the things we needed to know in order to be great fans. Then we had our first play offs, quickly followed by a lock out that really hurt our support within the business community. Then a couple of really good regular seasons, one of which really looked like we could contend. Follow that with the sale, the uncertainty, Radulov leaving, missing the play offs in 2009 and worrying about the effects on attendance between that and the economy. I think this is really the first season we can sit back, enjoy our hockey club, and realize we're safe. We're in the club of NHL markets, and we're here to stay. Next season used to be something we hoped for, but now it's something we simply cannot wait for.

Second, Versus is seeing a lot more coverage area and with NBC buying the channel I expect that to increase even more. Most of our games are shown on Fox Sports Tennessee. I think this year they showed 65 games, and next season they are showing 70. I could be wrong, but I'm sure someone knows the exact figures. At any rate, it used to be in the 50 games/year area, so it's improving each season. Soon enough they will carry all games. Versus always blacks out the local market if they have local coverage

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:48 AM
neksys

Quote:
THE BAD...
- Not winning a single game at home this series. This hurts the most. All the casual fans and non-fans didn't even get to see a win. Ouch.

THE GOOD
- The crowd. We brought it tonight. Like the players, we left it all out there...even when we were getting owned in the 3rd period with no chances whatsoever, we gutted out some standing O's. We did everything we could without being able to get out on the ice ourselves.
Canucks fan here, I just wanted to say that these are the biggest two things that stand out to me. I'm obviously relieved to see my team move on, but I would have gladly traded wins and losses so your fans could have been rewarded with a home playoff win.

Nothing solidifies a casual or new fan like an overtime win in the playoffs at home.

I'm not just blowing smoke and pulling the whole "watch how humble I can be my team won" act - I'm legitimately jealous that your team gets to play in front of what is probably the loudest, most involved audience in the league. Would've been goosebumps (and cold, bitter disappointment) to see that crowd erupt after a win for sure.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:48 AM
predfan24

Quote:
When you have team full of useful players but who don't score, at the end of the day their effort is useless.
How many years have the Preds iced a team with a winning record now? I think they would argue against your theory.

I'll preface this by saying if SK was badly injured I could understand his play. But you can't tell me that his intensity level was where it should have been for the playoffs. He was playing at regular season intensity when everyone else around him had ramped up their game. He was slow on the forecheck, indecisive with the puck, probably lost 90% of the 50/50 battles. That's effort and intensity. What happened to the guy in MTL who played with nastiness and a chip on his shoulder?

The bottom line is when the opponent got tougher and more physical and the ice shrank SK turned into a borderline Steve Sullivan.

Old
05-10-2011, 12:12 PM
canucks95

Just wanted to say congrats for such a great hard fought series.

What an amazing building to watch, great to see hockey becoming bigger and bigger in Nashville.

You have a good young up and coming team, and will be in the playoffs for a long time, I hope you guys can pick up Brad Richards, would be the perfect fit for you guys to really give you that legit 1st line talent up front.

All the best guys, was a fun series.

canucks95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:24 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Post script:

Barry Trotz.

OK, Barry is on the top 20 list for most regular games coached all time. (Quickly heading towards 1,000 games coached, 967 coached.) He's on the top 20 list for most games won in the regular season. (Quickly heading towards 500 coaching wins. currently at 455)

The team.

7th straight year with a winning record, (83 or more points in a year).

6 playoff appearances in 7 years.

And they finally have a jersey that doesn't cause immediate blindness in small animals in the new 3rd.

And, first appearance in the 2nd round.

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 05-10-2011 at 12:32 PM.
BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Thanks for a great series; you guys are awesome fans! Nobody will be telling me Nashville isn't a hockey market.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:41 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Thanks for a great series; you guys are awesome fans! Nobody will be telling me Nashville isn't a hockey market.
Thanks your fans were that came here were very nice and respectful. I hope some of you can come and visit here anytime of the year especially during hockey season

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote