Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2011-12 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Baldy

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2011-12 Season Thread

Lots of news and action for the 2011/12 Sting last week and this week. The entry draft this past weekend and then announcement of a new Coach/GM on the 10th of May.
Time to put 2010/2011 to bed.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:50 AM
jwalk

Pass the Puck : Another question you may want to direct at the owners : How do they respond to those that say the reason the franchise hasn't been successful because the owners have been "too hands on" over the years ? It'd be interesting to see how they would respond. This is the kind of question the local media should be asking.

Old
05-10-2011, 10:25 AM
johnnydrum

Listening to the "pipeline show", they were saying how the Stings staff could lure youngsters with the "promise of plenty of scouts being in attendance throughout the season"
lol..
I am sure it was slightly "toungue in cheek", but I guess true.

I do hope DeAngelo comes to play~gosh this team could really benifit from having a good puck moving D-man.
The 2011-12 season could be a really interesting season.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Pass the Puck
@sarniasports

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
Pass the Puck : Another question you may want to direct at the owners : How do they respond to those that say the reason the franchise hasn't been successful because the owners have been "too hands on" over the years ? It'd be interesting to see how they would respond. This is the kind of question the local media should be asking.
I really want to do a sit down interview with a lot of the sting people and ask them the hard questions. I think even more so after that article in the observer came out, basically saying the fans didn't support the team and they needed more butts in the seats. I know the "Letters to the Editor" feedback was just a terrible backlash for them, and it upset a lot of people who support the team after countless rebuilds.

I don't want to labelled a "basher" of the team. If you watch TSN or follow anything Damien Cox says, that guy is a basher of the leafs. I joke they could win 10-0 and he would still find fault in their game. Rather I want to be more anayltical about the game they play and the decisions they make. I look at this signing and the first thing that comes to my mind is "where are you now in the rebuild? With the draft picks and this coach are the Sting a playoff team in 2012?" But I also want to know what the owners are going to do. More/less hands-on, give more power to the coach/gm.

*side note, I do not work for the newspaper or the sting for those wondering.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Pass the Puck
@sarniasports

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum View Post
Listening to the "pipeline show", they were saying how the Stings staff could lure youngsters with the "promise of plenty of scouts being in attendance throughout the season"
lol..
I am sure it was slightly "toungue in cheek", but I guess true.

I do hope DeAngelo comes to play~gosh this team could really benifit from having a good puck moving D-man.
The 2011-12 season could be a really interesting season.
Actually this is true and was talked about a lot at the draft. With Nail being the big star he was, scouts will be in Sarnia and by obvious reason, why they come to watch Nail, they will also watch the rest of the product on the ice. So it does "lure" players to Sarnia because they know at least for this season, the scouts will be there watching.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:39 AM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass the Puck View Post
Actually this is true and was talked about a lot at the draft. With Nail being the big star he was, scouts will be in Sarnia and by obvious reason, why they come to watch Nail, they will also watch the rest of the product on the ice. So it does "lure" players to Sarnia because they know at least for this season, the scouts will be there watching.
You could ask about their marketing technique and what kind of business model they follow since the Marketing Director suns in Tampa and snuggles with the Lightning during our season when he could be doing something to put butts in the arena.
While i find it nice he organized a trip to Florida for a few dozen people, and honored himself when he returned, what about the thousands who stayed behind through the bad times...What did he do to attract bodies here? Obviously the car thing was a flash in the pan cuz he did squat the rest of the time.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:47 AM
krauss72

That is a little abrasive and over the top. He is a part time employee doing his part time job. Make it a full time job if that is what is required.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Pass the Puck
@sarniasports

Just got back from the press conference (with a quick stop to track and field) and I did manage to ask ownership the questions posted here. I need to write my article, but I'll post the quotes after I am finished. Some of them should be fairly interesting to say the least.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:11 PM
king sirus

Let me guess,,,,,,,,,, they have a three year plan

Old
05-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Pass the Puck
@sarniasports

Quote:
Originally Posted by king sirus View Post
Let me guess,,,,,,,,,, they have a three year plan
Beaulieu said he has no plan except a day to day plan. Not a three-two-one year plan, but a day to day.

Old
05-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Pass the Puck
@sarniasports

So I managed to ask Larry Ciccarelli the questions posted here, and here are the answers I got.

Where is the team in the rebuild
He echoed Beaulieu's comments about there being no plan or timeline for it. Said he was impressed of the attention to detail Beaulieu brings. First thing he said to me though was that this was a question for the new coach. I found it odd because there is no possible way he would be able to answer that question right now, as he just got in and hasn't had a chance to look.

What type of control does Beaulieu have?
He said like GM's and coaches in the past, he has the freedom of an operating budget that is top 5 in the league, and that from the Sting ownership group there has been no trades that have ever been denied by the owners, and that no player was signed by ownership. He has basically full control to sign or trade who he wants.

Ownership involvement
He said "contrary to what people think we are not involved." That about sums that up.

Hope that gives answers to those that asked questions. Just to note, I give no sides on this post, just presenting the info I got.

Old
05-10-2011, 03:51 PM
torontosports10

Beaulieu had his up and downs here in Saint John.

He did make good deals in his last season to set the team up for future success. But he wasn't responsible for Huberdeau or Phillips coming here. That happened after he left and former NHL coaches took over.

He does work hard, but some players didnt like him, and there was a divide in the room (French players hung out, English players hung out) but that wont be a problem in the O.

Old
05-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Herman the German

P.t.P by saying this you are? I want to be nominated as the third coach! The 3.c.c. Stay thirsty my friends,hello Johnny.

I don't want to be labelled a "basher" of the team.

Old
05-10-2011, 04:47 PM
hardoil3232

jockal

best move sting ever made jockal got lots of advice in dealing with sting owners at the stag and doe in oilsprings last sat nite from dickie

Old
05-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Herman the German

Now that is inside. Do you think he listened? Stay thirsty my friends.

Old
05-10-2011, 05:10 PM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
That is a little abrasive and over the top. He is a part time employee doing his part time job. Make it a full time job if that is what is required.
My assumption is that your reply is to my comment about the Director of Marketing.

School teachers take vacation when school is out, so I would think "director" or manager or whatever Mr. Burr's title is related to hockey, would imply that he does his schtick during hockey season.
Your response that he is part time answers a whole bunch. It shows in the marketing product. They gotta think outside the proverbial box...and they have done nothing to entice me to attend. BTW, i have season's tickets because i like hockey, but just saying, if i was a fairweather fan, i need a draw.

Hey hardoiler...dickie is quite the character. The kids are sliver off the old block. He is old school.

Old
05-10-2011, 06:09 PM
CoyotesHFNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass the Puck View Post
It's true, and should be used. You can only watch so much of Nail before you have a good opinion of him, it would be crazy to send a scout to Sarnia to watch only one or two players. Brandon Hope, Garrett Hooey, Nick Latta, Jack Kuzmyk, and whoever else join the 2011-2012 Sarnia Sting will be the right location for players wanting to get picked. Unlike this past season where there was 5 or 6 teams to watch who had very similar to offer, Kitchener was probably the best, Sarnia has an overwhelmingly larger number of quality 2012 NHL Entry Draft prospects than any other team out there. That could change, but they're so far ahead in terms of prospects for this draft. You look at players who get overlooked, and a lot of the timethey're on a team that didn't get viewed too much. This might not be something the players realize, but it is somehting the agents realize when discussion of a trade to a team comes up. Sarnia will not see too many guys turn down a trade to Sarnia who want to get drafted in next year's draft OR would like a contract from the NHL team who drafted him, becasue Sarnia could be in for a long run, and will be a popular destination for scouts.

Same reason Joe Rogalski turning down an Owen Sound trade makes no sense. He's playing for a contract from Pittsburgh, Owen Sound would have given him the necessarry exposure to potentially get that contract, instaead Jay Gilbert is benefitting, and now Rogalski will need to excel this year to get a contract, rather than being showcased on a big stage. I can't imagine what could compel someone to turn down that opportunity, but some people like to do things the hard way, give themselves a challenge, and thats what Joe will face next year, who knows maybe he thrives under that kind of pressure? Must speak highly of his opinion of Sarnia.

Last edited by CoyotesHFNHL: 05-10-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old
05-10-2011, 06:25 PM
krauss72

Bang on Coyotes.

This old man is not certain what you are saying here.
"Sarnia will not see too many guys who want to get drafted in next year's draft OR would like a contract from the NHL team who drafted him, becasue Sarnia could be in for a long run, and will be a popular destination for scouts."

I do agree with a popular destination for scouts. We began to see that last year.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:25 PM
hardoil3232

sting

stingfire i think jockal will trade n yaki at the trade deadline in jan would make sence as he will be nhl after this year

Old
05-10-2011, 11:05 PM
CoyotesHFNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
Bang on Coyotes.

This old man is not certain what you are saying here.
"Sarnia will not see too many guys who want to get drafted in next year's draft OR would like a contract from the NHL team who drafted him, becasue Sarnia could be in for a long run, and will be a popular destination for scouts."

I do agree with a popular destination for scouts. We began to see that last year.
Sorry meant to say...
"Sarnia will not see too many guys turn down a trade to Sarnia who want to get drafted in next year's draft OR would like a contract from the NHL team who drafted him, becasue Sarnia could be in for a long run, and will be a popular destination for scouts."

Old
05-11-2011, 04:22 AM
johnnydrum

Wow, what a week for the Sting!

A great "steal" at the draft with DeAngelo, and a new GM and coach with some quality experiance.

I have tuned into the SeadDogs during the Q playoffs, to keep tabs on Capitals prospect Stan Galiev, and can not belive how strong the team is from top to bottom.

Although he left in bad circumstances, am I right in thinking Beaulieu was the GM that drafted/aquired core veteran players like the Horse Depresse, Mike Thomas, Stephen Anthony etc (and Im presuming he drafted his own son, the impressive Nathan.?)
I understand that the Seadogs THEN were pretty much as the Sting are....and I like to think Beaulieu was responsible for at least laying down some good foundations, of what the Dogs now have (lol...hope that makes sense?)

I think the previous management of the Sting should be applauded for putting out a very exciting product (last year), but perhaps didnt have the "know how" of also making it a "solid" team.
I still cringe at those botched late leads we blew, and the apparrent confusuion at the deadline, but it was a very intersting year.
Hopefully, this step will give the Sting a coach with perhaps a little more "hands on" experiance.

Great post by PTP and Coyotes....and hello Hermann, glad you are well!

Last edited by johnnydrum: 05-11-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old
05-11-2011, 05:12 AM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

Can someone post what they expect to be Sarnia's lineup next season?

Old
05-11-2011, 06:37 AM
johnnydrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitsFan18 View Post
Can someone post what they expect to be Sarnia's lineup next season?
Well, I am following from afar, so could be "way off" especailly with the older returnees, but because of the time difference, (Sarnia will be sleeping right now) I would be delighted to offer my thoughts, and I would wager something like....

Goal
Brandon Hope (Youngster who displayed some great skills, was a little shell shocked at times, but in the storm, gained some valuable experiance last year, and even dropped the gloves! In my opinion he lost too many games to veterans, who didnt fare any better)
Defence
Jack Kuzmyk (came over in a trade from Owen Sound-dependable D man)
Joe Rogalski (Pens prospect, who refused a trade at deadline-other members dont rate him, but he was the Stings top scoring blueliner-7 goals!)
Joshua Chapman (a youngster who once brought me out of my seat with a hit so hard, that i heard in the UK!)
Kyle Flemington (Big stay at home Dman, who plays a mean game)
Nathan Chiarlitti (Team captain)
Ryan Zupancic (Played a very quiet 40 odd games--quiet i guess in a good way)
Daniel Broussard (Showed some Offence-in flashes, but not enough to help the forwards-i think the Stings entire D chipped in for something like 15 goals TOTAL)
Anthony DeAngelo (2011 Ryan Murphy clone-read he has great Offensive swagger--Gosh he could be a great help straight away on the PP)
Forwards
Brandon Alderson (Has some size and started off quite well, Apparentley somewhat "gentile" though..)
Brandon Francisco (Flashy under achiever who could really put up the points, if he had a little gumption)
Alex Galchenyuk (Superb youngster who could be a dominant Centreman with a little bulk--cant wait to see how he does this year: "mint!")
Nail Yakupov (Just so much fun, worth staying up in the midnight hours just to listen to!)
Brett Ritchie (Big Power forward, who with a little luck-finally put his name on the OHL map this year--ask Barries Alex Lepkowski)
Garrett Hooey (Seemingly does everything!-Charachter guy, great shot blocker, from what i heard)
Nick Latta (German import, who displayed some flash, but in a limited role. Maybe will be given more ice time this year-hoping he will develop into something like your German guy, Tomas Khunackhl)
Ryan Kujawinsk (2011 draft pick-power forward--looks like he plays a Brett Ritchie game-already has size)

lol..I have probabley made a right "pigs ear of this", and perhaps miles out-as I can only listen to the games via the net, and keep up via the posters here..lol
Im sure the other guys and gals will add in any that I have missed.

I am hoping that the returning youngsters, who took some licks last year, will have gained some experiance.
Despite the Stings record, they played from Sept-December, with a "never say die" attitude, and were very much still in the running up until the trade deadline...It seemed to me that it wasnt the kids that stunk out the joint late on, but several of the veterans, which was alarming--so the team of 2011-12 should have at least "some vinegar"

Would you be so kind to let me know about the Spits returnees perhaps? (PM me perhaps with the key guys who will be back?)

Last edited by johnnydrum: 05-11-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old
05-11-2011, 06:47 AM
SarniaSting101

[
Goal
Brandon Hope in the nets (Youngster who displayed some great skills, but was a little shell shocked at times, but in the storm, gained some experiance last year, and even dropped the gloves!)

Wow, your line-up forecast looks pretty good! Who do you see coming in to back-up Hope? Just wondering as Sarnia only picked one goalie in last week's draft, and in the bottom half.

Old
05-11-2011, 07:11 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Update on DeAngelo http://easterniowasportsandrec.com/2...keep-deangelo/

Last edited by SPORTSMANIAC: 05-11-2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Link didnt work...should work now
Closed Thread