HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brad Richards news thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
I'm calling it now.

You can refer back to this post when I am right.

At 2:35 on July 1st, 2011. Brad Richards will sign with the New York Rangers for 6 years at 6.5 mill per year.
Even I'll take that, and I've been vehemently against this from day one.

Old
05-09-2011, 07:02 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Even I'll take that, and I've been vehemently against this from day one.
But you're naturally angry so you're vehemently angry with everything

05-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
But you're naturally angry so you're vehemently angry with everything
How can I be angry when I see Rebecca Black's head on Ovechkin's body? You just gotta laugh

Old
05-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Im not sure why you want to compare a Center to a LW....id rather just look at Richards himself. Over the past 6 seasons Richards LOWEST Points per 82 games played was 69 points. His lowest number would have him at 11th in the NHL this season (again, over 82 games played). so barring injury, even at his worst statistical season, he'd be a top 10ish center.

the Average number for that time span is 78 points per 82 GP...which puts him as a top 3 center. and his peak was 93 Points per 82 games which puts him as a 2 center. Again, this is in part due to Crosby being injured, as well as Malkin, and im sure some other great centers were injured as well, still though, his low, high, and mean points to him being a top 10 player no matter how you slice it. his worst numbers occurred 4 seasons ago so its not like hes showing a steady decline.
Oh I know the stats.

I just don't think he will live up to those higher numbers in NY. I would bet on high 60's or low 70's.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:50 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I'm calling it now.

At 2:35 on July 1st, 2011. Brad Richards will sign with the New York Rangers for 6 years at 6.5 mill per year.
Have to say, I agree.

I think Richards will not only sign here, but do so for a discount. 5 or 6 years, with a cap hit in the 6.5-6.8 million range.

If he takes a discount, this team has the cap space and the assets to go after the big defenseman that the team would need to truly become an elite team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Oh I know the stats.

I just don't think he will live up to those higher numbers in NY. I would bet on high 60's or low 70's.

You must not think very much of this team, then. And I thought no one could top me.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:58 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
You must not think very much of this team, then. And I thought no one could top me.
I'd say his production here is a legitimate concern with those who are against signing him - will he get the kind of support he got from Eriksson and Neal, here? I think he definitely could, but it would not astonish me to see him put up just roughly 70 points, especially if we still cannot figure out the powerplay. Richards certainly helps the powerplay, but I think a lot of the problems we've had could be attributed to the coaching staff - the players aren't all-star talents, but they're not mentally handicapped either, which is a phrase that comes to mind when I'm watching a NYR powerplay. There's no movement, entry, or smart shots whatsoever. Hopefully, Richards can help with the zone entry issue, as well as help open up space for other players if we do decide he's the right fit for this squad, which I think he is.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
05-10-2011, 03:16 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
I'd say his production here is a legitimate concern with those who are against signing him - will he get the kind of support he got from Eriksson and Neal, here? I think he definitely could, but it would not astonish me to see him put up just roughly 70 points, especially if we still cannot figure out the powerplay. Richards certainly helps the powerplay, but I think a lot of the problems we've had could be attributed to the coaching staff - the players aren't all-star talents, but they're not mentally handicapped either, which is a phrase that comes to mind when I'm watching a NYR powerplay. There's no movement, entry, or smart shots whatsoever. Hopefully, Richards can help with the zone entry issue, as well as help open up space for other players if we do decide he's the right fit for this squad, which I think he is.
you need a PP QB and you need a shooter. we dont have either right now...at the end of the season we only had 1 of the 2. its a problem.

Old
05-10-2011, 06:47 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Have to say, I agree.

I think Richards will not only sign here, but do so for a discount. 5 or 6 years, with a cap hit in the 6.5-6.8 million range.

If he takes a discount, this team has the cap space and the assets to go after the big defenseman that the team would need to truly become an elite team.

Quote:
I'm calling it now.

6y, 6.5M has been the number I've been sticking with for the past couple weeks. Just have a gut feeling it'll be around there. Book it!

Old
05-10-2011, 07:52 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Number 1 C + PMD + Scoring winger (Only Gaborik isn't enough) = Elite team.

You hope that either Kreider or Thomas become that other elite winger.
Same with MDZ as the PMD.

We don't have a number 1 C in the system. So you buy one. Richards...

Point is this team isn't that far off from being a legit cup team.
They need a couple of pieces from the system to work out though.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:42 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Creating enough space to sign Richards AND add a skilled offensive D in the summer will require more than buying out Drury.

If the Rangers re-sign their 6 group IIs for about $14M,they will have $5M of summer cap space left. Christensen's $925k could be moved freeing up that money.

If the Rangers sign Richards on July 1 and most of the group IIs aren't signed,the Rangers can't do anything else until the group IIs are re-signed. Figure Gilroy re-signs for 2 years for less than his $2.1M QO. Anisimov is not arb eligible but the rest-Dubinsky,Callahan,Boyle and Sauer-are eligible. File on July 5. Hearings from July 21-early August.

The Rangers can have another buyout period in August because they should have more than 1 arbitration case.

Very tricky stuff.

Old
05-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Oh I know the stats.

This is a great point. If Sather finds a way to sign Richards to something like $6.5 million for 5-6 years, and he's going to put up inferior numbers that we're going to blame on the supporting cast we have here, perhaps we should go in a different direction.

Old
05-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Agree with those expecting a drop in production in NY, and at 6 years is it worth the risk? I know it isn't going to happen but a shorter deal would have my support.

Old
05-10-2011, 10:54 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Agree with those expecting a drop in production in NY, and at 6 years is it worth the risk? I know it isn't going to happen but a shorter deal would have my support.
As long as the end of the deal doesn't include a NMC, the risk is not that great.

Old
05-10-2011, 10:59 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
This is a great point. If Sather finds a way to sign Richards to something like $6.5 million for 5-6 years, and he's going to put up inferior numbers that we're going to blame on the supporting cast we have here, perhaps we should go in a different direction.
What is the different direction we can go in?

Not sure why we'd be inclined to expect inferior numbers when he would potentially be centering one of the better finishers in the game in Gaborik.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Not sure why we'd be inclined to expect inferior numbers when he would potentially be centering one of the better finishers in the game in Gaborik.
Highly debatable. Gaborik's second year here was not like his first, and the arrow is distinctly pointed South at the moment. Cannot guarantee anything from Gaborik next year...one person's guess is as good as the next person's.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:15 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Highly debatable. Gaborik's second year here was not like his first, and the arrow is distinctly pointed South at the moment. Cannot guarantee anything from Gaborik next year...one person's guess is as good as the next person's.
If we were talking about Del Zotto where he had 1 good year (at least offensively) and 1 crappy year to judge him on, I'd agree with that logic. But Gaborik has played several years in the league, as has been a productive forward when healthy minus a poor season this past year. So I'm not inclined to believe that this past season is the 'new standard' for Gaborik.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
If we were talking about Del Zotto where he had 1 good year (at least offensively) and 1 crappy year to judge him on, I'd agree with that logic. But Gaborik has played several years in the league, as has been a productive forward when healthy minus a poor season this past year. So I'm not inclined to believe that this past season is the 'new standard' for Gaborik.
I didn't say this is the new standard for Gaborik. I said his status as one of the best finishers in the game is highly debatable at the moment.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:19 AM
NYR Viper

Kreider is the exact type of player who Richards plays really well with. Straight-ahead, speedy, physical, power-forward.

I may be crazy, but the acquisition of Lindberg and the emergence of Boyle, I wouldnt be overly surprised if Anisimov + ______ was shopped around fora young top-4 puck mover or a top-6 LW.

I am in no way saying I would like to se Anisimov moved out......

(Player brought backin trade)-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Stepan-Callahan
Kreider-Boyle-MZA
Fedotenko-______-Prust

Or maybe they feel they can sign a 3rd line center for cheap on a 1-year deal?

Just saying its a feeling I get. They have a lot of centers on the way and already on the team.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:24 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I didn't say this is the new standard for Gaborik. I said his status as one of the best finishers in the game is highly debatable at the moment.
The implication is more or less that "until he proves otherwise" we can't say he'll return to his previous form.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
The implication is more or less that "until he proves otherwise" we can't say he'll return to his previous form.
Nobody can guarantee anything with Gaborik at this point. We'll see what happens...

Old
05-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
As long as the end of the deal doesn't include a NMC, the risk is not that great.
We're talking about a Sather signing of course there will be a NMC lol.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Kreider is the exact type of player who Richards plays really well with. Straight-ahead, speedy, physical, power-forward.

I may be crazy, but the acquisition of Lindberg and the emergence of Boyle, I wouldnt be overly surprised if Anisimov + ______ was shopped around fora young top-4 puck mover or a top-6 LW.

I am in no way saying I would like to se Anisimov moved out......

(Player brought backin trade)-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Stepan-Callahan
Kreider-Boyle-MZA
Fedotenko-______-Prust

Or maybe they feel they can sign a 3rd line center for cheap on a 1-year deal?

Just saying its a feeling I get. They have a lot of centers on the way and already on the team.
If you're going to move a center like you suggest it's Boyle over Anisimov every time. Boyle has had one productive season and his value is as high as it's ever been.

Anisimov is still improving but has put up two respectable seasons. He also has value but you risk trading him to have Boyle regress and score 4 goals next year. Especially after we saw him cool down the last half.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:27 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

NMC no.
Limited NTC ok.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:31 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
If you're going to move a center like you suggest it's Boyle over Anisimov every time. Boyle has had one productive season and his value is as high as it's ever been.

Anisimov is still improving but has put up two respectable seasons. He also has value but you risk trading him to have Boyle regress and score 4 goals next year. Especially after we saw him cool down the last half.
I agree about keeping Anisimov. Kid has very high upside. Once he gets stronger, he's going to be a very tough player to play against. Long reach, good hands, good wrist shot.

Lindberg looks like a promising 4th line center.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:39 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
We're talking about a Sather signing of course there will be a NMC lol.
Gomez didn't have a NMC. Neither did Redden. Nor Gaborik.

The only player that received a NMC was Drury, and I certainly think Sather learned his lesson from that one, so I'm going to have to disagree with your assessment here.

Closed Thread