HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just say no to the buyouts this year

Old
05-10-2011, 08:26 AM
94now

vCash: 500
Drury will easily find a job with other NHL team, I agree with that

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...ew-chris-drury

Hope he will go west. I think Rangers could use him. Just too expensive...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 09:06 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Drury will easily find a job with other NHL team, I agree with that

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...ew-chris-drury

Hope he will go west. I think Rangers could use him. Just too expensive...
I'm not so sure the guy is a lock to relocate his family to a different part of the country to play for what will likely be 1 more year of hockey. Not too sure how hands on he is (or plans to be) with his restaurant venture either but that may be a factor as well.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 05-10-2011 at 12:50 PM.
wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:43 AM
haveandare

Drury needs to get bought out IMO. This team isn't going to win or get close to winning while that much cap space is taken up by a player who contributes the way that Drury is currently capable of. Meanwhile, the rest of the team deserves a shot every year. The whole "give this year up" idea is deeply flawed because the team deserves better than that. Lundqvist is getting older and not getting closer to a cup - he is also aware of that and has expressed that sentiment himself. Gaborik is going to be trying to have a big comeback year to remind himself and everyone else that he is an elite talent. Dubi, Callahan, Staal, Prust and Boyle and looking to improve at the same pace and establish themselves as a certain caliber of player. MDZ is going to be trying to show that he fits in the NHL and guys like Stepan, McD and Sauer are looking to make the next big step and really start playing their games in the league. Why handicap all these guys again by having less talent around than every other team gets to enjoy? If Richards' terms are acceptable, bring him in with that money. If they're not - start shopping around some players that the organization has depth behind and try to put together a package for a proven player who brings the skills that these team lacks. Nothing is going to even start to happen until the effects of Drury's contract are minimized and all the players deserve a shot to win by playing on a team that is up to par talent wise.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Drury is the only guy that deserves to be bought out of his contract.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:00 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I'm not so sure the guy is a lock to relocate his family to a different part of his country to play for what will likely be 1 more year of hockey. Not too sure how hands on he is (or plans to be) with his restaurant venture either but that may be a factor as well.
He is 34. He would have the money. Carbon copy of Prospal's situation only more $$ in. He is a proud man, he would do everything to prove people like here wrong... Family should understand. If family and other factors would outweigh the pride, he could always go to HFD instead of buyout, play the game he likes for the same one year and take care of his business.

Old
05-10-2011, 12:57 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
He is 34. He would have the money. Carbon copy of Prospal's situation only more $$ in. He is a proud man, he would do everything to prove people like here wrong...Family should understand.
But it's not just about how Drury feels about his career. When you have a wife and children, your families feelings/input play a large role in the decisions you make. If his wife doesn't want to sell their home and pull the kids from their schools where they've been the last 4 years, they're not likely to pick-up and move across the country.

How much salary do you think teams would be willing to offer a guy who's 34, coming off of a injury riddled season, and looks out of place in the playoffs on lines 1-3? I'd say at best he would get a $2 mil offer to be a role player on another team. At around $2 mil in salary, between taxes & escrow and the cost of relocating, you have to ask if the reward is worth the cost.

I would not be shocked if he retired after the Rangers buy him out.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:35 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Why does everyone want to give up on Wolski? I understand the basis of the argument but I guess I just don't really agree. I know these are two extremly different circumstances (Boyle + Wolski) but look what a little patience did with this guy. If most of us were 'GM for the day' Boyle would have put up 20+ goals getting 3rd line minutes on a different team... Let's give the guy some time to get acclimated with the team... I'm interested to see how he looks after another off-season under torts.
Wolski doesn't fit that work ethic of the other players, so fans don't like him. IMO- there is always room for one skilled, enigmatic player on any squad. How well he played with Step and MZA... as well as the shootout goals cannot be just ignored. Is it worth his cap hit? No, but I don't think they will buy him out. If he stinks, then send him down.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 01:41 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post

How much salary do you think teams would be willing to offer a guy who's 34, coming off of a injury riddled season, and looks out of place in the playoffs on lines 1-3? I'd say at best he would get a $2 mil offer to be a role player on another team. At around $2 mil in salary, between taxes & escrow and the cost of relocating, you have to ask if the reward is worth the cost.

I would not be shocked if he retired after the Rangers buy him out.
What? 2,000,000.00 is not enough to move? How much does the TV job pay? Or Assistant Coach makes (no one offers)? After retirement he will never make more than 100K anywhere. This is no Canada, this is USA, taxes are miniscule here compare to other world. With 10K one can relocate anywhere w/o moving a pinkie. That leaves him with what? 1.6 million? That is 15 years of the salary of 140K a year if you reverse tax withholdings.

Last edited by 94now: 05-10-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old
05-10-2011, 01:44 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
Wolski doesn't fit that work ethic of the other players, so fans don't like him. IMO- there is always room for one skilled, enigmatic player on any squad. How well he played with Step and MZA... as well as the shootout goals cannot be just ignored. Is it worth his cap hit? No, but I don't think they will buy him out. If he stinks, then send him down.
The problem with planning on sending Wolski down is that Redden is already eating our summer cap overage. If you want to pursue Richards + another UFA, then you need to get Wolski off the summer cap -- the in-season cap isn't the problem, so waiving him won't provide help in pursuing UFAs.

The reason buying out Wolski should be strongly considered is that he has a favorable (1/3rd) buyout formula. Saving $3.2m by buying him out with only $400k in dead space (plus 600k in dead space in 2012-2013) is a lot more favorable than $3.7m and $1.7m respectively for each year of Drury's buyout. Personally, I still think both should be bought out to free up room for Richards + a UFA wing/dman on a short term deal.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 01:49 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
What? 2,000,000.00 is not enough to move? How much does the TV job pay? Or Assistant Coach makes (no one offers)? After retirement he will never make more than 100K anywhere. This is no Canada, this is USA, taxes are miniscule here compare to other world. With for 10K one can relocate anywhere w/o moving a pinkie. That leaves him with what? 1.6 million? That is 15 years of the salary of 140K a year if you reverse tax withholdings.
-How much does his restaurant business pull in?
-Does he plan on working in hockey in another facet?
-How financially secure is his family already, to the extent that uprooting their kids and relocating again is worth the compensation for another year of a modest salary?

Depending on what teams are interested in his limited services, Drury continuing his hockey career is not as much of a "sure thing" as you might think.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
What? 2,000,000.00 is not enough to move? How much does the TV job pay? Or Assistant Coach makes (no one offers)? After retirement he will never make more than 100K anywhere. This is no Canada, this is USA, taxes are miniscule here compare to other world. With for 10K one can relocate anywhere w/o moving a pinkie. That leaves him with what? 1.6 million? That is 15 years of the salary of 140K a year if you reverse tax withholdings.

That's not what he is saying.

There are more factors than just money, especially when he has made over $30 million in the past five years. His family might be more important to him then $2 million dollars to relocate to play for another year or two. That's not that much money to a guy like that anyways, he's already loaded.

Section 409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 02:06 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
That's not what he is saying.

There are more factors than just money, especially when he has made over $30 million in the past five years. His family might be more important to him then $2 million dollars to relocate to play for another year or two. That's not that much money to a guy like that anyways, he's already loaded.
Lots of money for living may not be enough as a capital. I wonder how many successful restaurant businesses 1.5 million can buy. I'd say more than two easily. 1.5 million will pay 70K a year forever. No one will leave such amount on the table. There is a joy of playing the game as well. Plus many other things. Players retire when thier agents can't find an adequate contract for them. No way anyone would do it sooner.

Last edited by 94now: 05-10-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old
05-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Lots of money for living may not be enough as a capital. I wonder how many successful restaurant businesses 1.5 million can buy. I'd say more than two easily. 1.5 million will pay 70K a year forever. No one will leave such amount on the table. There is a joy of playing the game as well. Plus many other things. Players retire when thier agents can't find an adequate contract for them. No way anyone would do it sooner.
No, you don't just buy a successful restaurant. You buy a business then work to make it successful.

Players retire when they feel like it. Ever hear of a guy named Barry Sanders? How about Tiki Barber?

Section 409 is offline   Reply With Quote