HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Nashville Predators 2011 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2011, 06:58 AM
Suter x 20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacklegJack View Post
I liked it up until this point. For the love of god, Preds management; please do not re-sign SOB. I'd take Franson over him any day of the week. There's simply not enough room on the defense for a penalty-magnet like him. He was certainly trying to make things as difficult as possible against the Ducks, we don't need that hassle.
I thought SOB played really well...when he wasn't in the box. He was mean, he was physical and he did make smart plays. You need a defensemen to be mean...to show the opposition that going to the "dirty areas" are not welcomed. The only d on our team to do something was SOB...Weber last night and once or twice to perry...and klien like a half (I always seem him jump in when he knows its safe ).

To each his own, I suppose. Oh, and totally forgot about Bouillion...

Old
05-10-2011, 07:58 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I need some time to think about this.
Too raw today. Maybe later in the week. I need a hockey break.

Old
05-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

So Sullivan's departure gives ample salary room to replace Weber's raise and potentially SK's raise. As I have stated many times, I think you give Weber a long-term deal to the tune of 6-7 million per. I would offer Suter the same contract on June 1. I would then give Rinne a 5-6 year deal and 5-6 million per. This would essentially eat up most of the Sullivan/Dumont salary cushion, but it is necessary.

Does Ward honestly justify more than 1.5 million? I don't see it. He was pretty awful until January. I mean AWFUL. He played excellent hockey down the stretch and was a playoff warrior. With that said, he still has major holes in his game. He turns the puck over like a madman, and he makes countless little mistakes in the offensive zone. He is an enigma to me. I guess you have to take the good with the bad. I would bring him back on anything less than 2/3.5. Otherwise, we have to step away IMO.

Dumont - You explore a trade IMO. I think it is possible he can be moved without a buyout. Maybe we can take a 1 year contract on the blueline that isn't as desirable to ship Dumont out. I guess this is a situation to monitor closer to free agency and the draft. However, I think it is clear that he is gone. Either we are buying him out, trading him, or trading him for a similar bad contract. I am fine with all three options.

Lombardi - we need a second line scoring center. His speed and tenacity fit our system like a glove. How good would he be coming off a year long concussion? Will he have anything in the tank? Will he even be able to play. This situation hurt us big time this year. I think a player like Lombardi would have pushed us past the Canucks this year.

Which brings me to:

Marcel Goc: I think he is a bit overrated offensively by us fans, but man he plays with our team so well. I would love love love to have him back at a similar contract (or up to 1.25-1.5 million). If Lombardi doesn't appear to be improving, he has to be considered to be one of the potential replacements. Still, I do not think there is room for him on this roster. Cal O'Reilly should have the shot at 2nd line center. If Lombardi is healthy, then even Cal O is displaced at the 2nd line center spot. Unless you shift Lombardi or Legwand to wing, there is nowhere for him to play.

Kostitsyn: He was abysmal in the 2nd round of the playoffs. I still think he is an important part of this offense, but a 2 year 3.5 million deal, no more than 4 million total, is likely the way to go.

O'Brien: I think you let this guy walk. He had his moments. He is a useful player. With our assets being defense, defense, and defense, you have to think that he doesn't have a roster spot. Also consider that Bouilon is under contract next year, and is a better defensive player. I wouldn't mind seeing the guy back at his current contract rate, but if this occurs, then you have to trade Franson or Boulion.

Patric Hornqvist: What a disappearing act by this guy this year. I was disappointed with him all year long. He was tenacious, but he did not earn his pay-check in the playoffs. He absolutely has to score goals, and he has to crash the net every play. I expect a rebound year next year, and the Predators absolutely need it. He is too important to this offense to trade.

Erat: If their is an offensive forward to be traded, it is probably Erat. He is a good hockey player. He should have value. He is also due 6 million next year (which hurts) with a cap hit of 4.5 million. I'm not sure what to do with him. I have always had a love/hate with Marty. His work down the stretch was phenomenal. We needed that in round 2, and it was lacking, but I am hoping it was more due to the Canucks suffocating defensive game. Should we trade him? I don't know. Do we need to trade him? Again, I don't know. I think we can win with Erat. My point is only that of the offensive players - he is the easiest to move to acquire a different type of offensive player. I would at least consider this option internally.

I think our roster lacks a true goal-scorer. I would love to find one via trade. Jeff Carter would look amazing in Predator blue. His career contract might not. Are there any similar players out there that could be available? Maybe a one year deal for Simon Gagne? His defensive game and speed should thrive in Nashville.

05-10-2011, 09:10 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Enoch, i agree with pretty much all of what you said.

correct me if Im wrong but Erat and Legwand had "reciprocal" contracts didnt they? meaning Leggys was frontloaded and Erats backloaded, with each year totaling 9 mil for the two?

so Erats 6 mil should be balanced by Leggy making only 3 mil? right?

I cant imagine anyone trading for dumont but then again I couldnt see anyone trading for Mason and it happened. But I still believe a buyout is most likely.

I like the idea of Gagne for one year but I dont know if we can make it happen.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Rink Rage

I don't think you guys really need big time scorer. I think you guys would do just fine if you were to snatch a guy like Teddy Purcell who will get you guys 50 points at a cheap price.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:31 AM
JacklegJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I cant imagine anyone trading for dumont but then again I couldnt see anyone trading for Mason and it happened. But I still believe a buyout is most likely.
...Maybe giving him away for a 7th round pick or future considerations could generate some interest from some clubs. Are there any teams out there that owe us for anything, maybe we can cash in on a favor. It would be nice to get all of his salary off the books; I never liked the prospect of paying someone NOT to play, but paying someone multi-millions to ride the pine isn't much better. Damn, what happened to the '07/'08 Dumont..?

Old
05-10-2011, 09:49 AM
SavageSteve

Enoch, I pretty much agree w/ everything I you wrote w/ the exception of Erat. If Trotz could present another highly skilled forward to force the opposing defense to account for, Erat would seriously flourish provided he played w/ an edge and shot the puck on net. When I renewed my season tickets on St. Patty's, they had Lombardi signing autographs at the end of the table and I was struck by his eyes having that 'two black holes in the sky' look. Not sure if we'll ever see him again till his contract year...

Heck the way the current roster distributes the puck and remembering so many passes into the slot w/out someone there to pick up the pass, an early-90's 'Brett Hull'-style forward (Blues days and NOT the Hull you saw w/ Dallas and Detroit) would be a serious difference maker and I believe could feasibly score (or directly account for) 50 from the slot area. As someone who distinctly remembers the Blues picking Hull out of obscurity in Calgary w/ the scouting report of him being 'a fat kid w/ a great slap shot' and becoming the first real superstar that transcended the StL market for hockey, I feel that that is a direction worth seriously evaluating in the off-season. Not sure if that guy is in the system or what... but I see Poile adding someone like that on the cheap.

Also feel we'll see Ryan Ellis sooner than later on the 3rd pair to QB the power play next year.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:49 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

I personally will need a while before I even read through posts in here, let alone make my own in regards to the off-season.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:57 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i was a little concerned to hear Trotz say the power play "wasn't a problem" in the Vancouver series.

1/21, including 0/3 in the first period yesterday. If that power play goes even 4 or 5/21, a reasonable rate, we're likely looking at game 7, if not an outright series win. Our PP absolutely did play a major role in the series loss. We counted too much on Tootoo\Smithson\Halischuk\Spaling to continue contributing offensively. That's nice when you get it, but it's not something you should build your team counting on.

Maybe a healthy Lombardi, if such a thing exists, answers the question...but...with a career high of 52 points, is that the case?

Will be interesting to see what happens. Even with raises to Weber and Kostitsyn, between the extra playoff revenue, our cut of the TV deal, and the midpoint going up to around 55 or 56 million, we should have *more* than enough room to add, if so inclined.

Old
05-10-2011, 10:07 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacklegJack View Post
...Maybe giving him away for a 7th round pick or future considerations could generate some interest from some clubs. Are there any teams out there that owe us for anything, maybe we can cash in on a favor. It would be nice to get all of his salary off the books; I never liked the prospect of paying someone NOT to play, but paying someone multi-millions to ride the pine isn't much better. Damn, what happened to the '07/'08 Dumont..?
three words... Alex effing Burrows... which is why despite all the post series love-fest I will not be rooting for the canucks.

the problem with a give-away trade of JP is his NTC. I think he would rather be bought out and be free to choose his next destination than getting dumped somewhere he has no desire to be

Old
05-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Webersmashpuck

What a terrible crop of free agent forwards. I would like Richards and I do think if he would sign here we could get him.
Other than that there is really nothing but old and broken players and no one good. I see a few guys that would fit but would probably cost quite a bit in Glencross, Bergenheim, and Leino. A healthy Goc looks to be about the best we could do.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
i was a little concerned to hear Trotz say the power play "wasn't a problem" in the Vancouver series.

1/21, including 0/3 in the first period yesterday. If that power play goes even 4 or 5/21, a reasonable rate, we're likely looking at game 7, if not an outright series win. Our PP absolutely did play a major role in the series loss. We counted too much on Tootoo\Smithson\Halischuk\Spaling to continue contributing offensively. That's nice when you get it, but it's not something you should build your team counting on.

Maybe a healthy Lombardi, if such a thing exists, answers the question...but...with a career high of 52 points, is that the case?

Will be interesting to see what happens. Even with raises to Weber and Kostitsyn, between the extra playoff revenue, our cut of the TV deal, and the midpoint going up to around 55 or 56 million, we should have *more* than enough room to add, if so inclined.
nope, and that was a total waste of a signing from the get go, no insurance and no cap relief if he got hurt ... another one of Poile's genius moves

Old
05-10-2011, 11:19 AM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
The one thing we don't have is a quarterback to run the pp. It's either SK or Erat on the sideboard and they won't shoot and as good as Weber's shot is I like Franson on the pp better because he actually gets the shot on net. Suter is not pp material as good a defenseman as he is his decision for passing are mostly weak.
+

We need at least four guy on PP who can pass and score. We usually have one. That is the main problem.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Top 6 Spaling

It's very tough to tell what we're going to do without knowing whether Trotz and Co thing Josi and Ellis are ready. Personally, I hope we go with

Weber-Suter
Josi-Blum
Ellis-Klein
Laakso

I would trade Franson for a scorer. If they really want to keep him around, run 7 D (it's not like Trotz plays our 4th line much anyways). Keep Franson with Klein and use Ellis on the PP only. I would love to keep SOB, but only if Klein is bought out/traded.

Letting SOB go frees up cap to resign Ward, SK, and others. As we discovered this year, depth is always good. If we can keep (almost) all of our UFA forwards, I will be happy.

Personally, I hope we get the entire big 3 locked up this off-season. With Weber, Suter, and Rinne all tied down, we know where we stand if we want to reel in a huge forward from the UFA crop next off-season (2012).

Old
05-10-2011, 11:38 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
nope, and that was a total waste of a signing from the get go, no insurance and no cap relief if he got hurt ... another one of Poile's genius moves
How was it Poile's fault he had a concussion? His last concussion before this seasons was before the lockout!

On Erat, the only way I would be alright with trading him is if the money saved on Erat was used to upgrade a top six position. I don't mean another 40 point two way forward. I mean a legit offensive guy. People quickly forgot Erat was the best forward we had during the regular season. He didn't have a great series against VAN but I have it on good authority that when he went out during the Anaheim series from that Ruutu hit that the Preds initially feared he would be out for 2-4 weeks. But with good work from the trainers and Marty's willingness to battle through he obviously came back much quicker than that. He was one of those guys who was playing far less than 100 percent.

Old
05-10-2011, 12:00 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Working out teaches me this about hockey. When you experience pain, you rip the ****ing bandaid off and bleed it out.

Now, it also doesn't hurt that I like this off-season ****.

During the regular season to qualify for "top line status" (Top 90 forwards)you have to score the following.

21g 51pts

Only two players on the Preds qualify for this: SK at 23 goals and 50 pts, and Hornqvist with 21 goals 48 pts. What this equation is missing is Lombardi who could have matched these numbers giving the Preds three wings that are first liners.

To qualify as a second line player (top 180)you have to get:

14g 39pts

Erat 17/50 Legwand 17/41 Wilson 16/34 Fisher 19/36. What's missing from this is Cal O'Reilly.

Injuries were the story of this year. injuries specifically to the center corp.

As for the 3rd line Nashville is losing their 3rd line of scoring: Ward 10/29 Sully 10/22 and Dumont 10/19

4th line was beautiful: Smithson, Halischuk, Spaling, Tootoo, Geoffrion at times.

Defensively, do what you want.

We hear the word 'Concussion' and we become scared ****less. I know I do. I personally think Lombardi is done. Boullion not so much but I will wait for more information.

Weber pay the man. If he asks for 8 million do it. The question is 'Is the 4 1st rder tender enough for Weber'?

It all depends on where the tender goes up to. Just pay the guy.

Weber-Suter

What does the the second pairing look like. As much as the hater gonna hate, Klein is a #3 so is Blum. Franson could be interesting. If Weber goes, then I would not be too adverse to seeing a Franson-Suter pairing. here's what I want to see.

Weber-Suter
Klein-Blum
Franson-Boullion
Laakso

Ellis-Josi in Milwaukee.

Mid-Season post trade deadline

Weber-Suter
Klein-Blum
Ellis-Josi
Laakso (or Boullion if you'd like to keep a vet on the roster)

When the trade deadline comes along my question is this, 'Will Boullion and Franson be trade deadline chips?"

Would you be comfortable with Josi and Ellis coming up mid-season with Boullion and Franson traded for a potential forward?

And speaking of forwards, on the roster right now.

Erat-Legwand-Kostitsyn (RFA)
Dumont-Lombardi-Hornqvist
Wilson-Fisher-Geoffrion
Spaling (RFA)-Smithson-Halischuk(RFA)
Tootoo-O'Reilly (RFA)

Full roster it you look at the numbers. Buuuut. Dumont is doomed. I hate saying it but the guy has lost a step or six. In the playoffs he was the worse +/-60 on the ice by a long shot -2.94 with Colin Wilson second with -1.80. In the Barry Trotz system both are square logs in round holes. If David Poile can trade them for a scoring forward it would be on par with moving Arnott. A Miracle. Do you wait one more year for Wilson to grasp Trotz's defensive first mentality or move him with Dumont to make roster space and cash/cap space?

As for UFA forwards to sign, Leino is the one screaming out to fit. 19g .99 +/-60 highest amongst UFAs. Richards would be a peace pipedream but not a bad fit.

Ward will be back. He was the second best defensive forward, statistically, on the ice in the playoffs and stepped the hell up.

Lombardi is the one guy who fascinates me. If he can come back, he's the big UFA signing. If not, the cheap solution would be sign both O'Reilly and Goc, bump down Geoffrion to Milwaukee. the swing for the fences move would be to try and sign Richards. No, I'm not joking.

So many possible moves to be made.

Cash/Cap wise the Cash is this

Tootoo: 100,000
Fisher: -200,000
Erat: +1,500,000
Rinne: +600,000

Total: 2,000,000 over cap numbers

Old
05-10-2011, 12:04 PM
ChicagoBlues

Blues fan here! Love the Preds too. Very good post season. Not bad at all.

Good luck next season!!

--------------------------------

Jared Diamond is a really smart dood -- Me

Old
05-10-2011, 01:46 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Flyers fan here. Wanted to say that I loved they way your team played in the playoffs. I loved watching the effort they give. Wish the flyers would play the same way. But with a top notch scorer i think you could have won the stanley cup this year.

I was just wonderin what you opinion on anders lindback is? Also how do you think he would fit on the flyers. And what return would probably be expected for him.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
What a terrible crop of free agent forwards. I would like Richards and I do think if he would sign here we could get him.
Other than that there is really nothing but old and broken players and no one good. I see a few guys that would fit but would probably cost quite a bit in Glencross, Bergenheim, and Leino. A healthy Goc looks to be about the best we could do.
But Richards might be all it takes to contend.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:03 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Flyers fan here. Wanted to say that I loved they way your team played in the playoffs. I loved watching the effort they give. Wish the flyers would play the same way. But with a top notch scorer i think you could have won the stanley cup this year.

I was just wonderin what you opinion on anders lindback is? Also how do you think he would fit on the flyers. And what return would probably be expected for him.
If Leino had a year or two left, I'd probably swap Lindy for him.

Of course, I'd always love to Harts back...

Old
05-10-2011, 02:06 PM
BloatedGuppy

You guys need a PP quarterback who can run the PP from the half-wall. Weber has the big shot but he's not a natural QB from what I've seen of his play, and Franson is too raw still.

Richards seems obvious due to the UFA status, but I'd look around at other 60-80 point playmaking, shifty centermen. Might be you can peddle some defensive depth and give yourselves a more potent PP and more dangerous offense overall.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Tennman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveTheTeamAlready View Post
Preds need a bonafide scorer...we're not getting one, for this next year, at least.

So what can we do to get better? How about an NHL-caliber powerplay? Just think if we had a PP that could actually shoot pucks, let alone score goals.

It has been estimated (by me, and my numbers may be off) that with a PP scoring at a measly 12%-15%, we would have scored 800 more goals in the reguar season, and 94 more goals in the playoffs.

I wonder what the scores in round two would have been with an extra one lousy PP goal per game, or just one every-other-game. Hmmmm.

So, forget spending money we don't have on a scorer (who Trotz will turn into a 3-way non-scorer anyway).

Instead fill the asst. coach opening with an effective PP coach with the authority to override Trotz and force the team to practice only PP as long as the PP conversion rate is below, say, 12%.
Not sure what formula you used to get your numbers but I think you slightly miscalculated. We scored only 219 goals in the regular season and the NHL leader scored 262(Vancouver). So with 800 more regular season and 94 more playoff goals I think we would win the cup. Maybe you missed a decimal point.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:33 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
If Leino had a year or two left, I'd probably swap Lindy for him.

Of course, I'd always love to Harts back...
Yea, I don't know if the flyers would do hartnell for lindback straight up. Maybe if they were going to use the extra cap space to sign a couple players.

What do you think lindbacks potential is?

Also id bet versteeg would be available. But that's in my eyes I dont know about holmgren's. And i dont know that you would want him. I dont like him on the flyers at all

Old
05-10-2011, 02:47 PM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm18 View Post
I thought SOB played really well...when he wasn't in the box. He was mean, he was physical and he did make smart plays. You need a defensemen to be mean...to show the opposition that going to the "dirty areas" are not welcomed. The only d on our team to do something was SOB...Weber last night and once or twice to perry...and klien like a half (I always seem him jump in when he knows its safe ).

To each his own, I suppose. Oh, and totally forgot about Bouillion...
+1 on SOB. Only D man who would clean out the crease and about the only Pred who would come to the defense of his teammates. He did take stupid penalties at times, but showed at the last of the Anaheim series that he could play disciplined when he put his mind to it.

Old
05-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I'll give you your first back and our second for Colin Wilson...

Closed Thread