HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Official Nashville Predators 2011 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2011, 03:17 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Stupid penalties come with a guy who will clear the crease and defend teammates. I had no problem with O'Brien at all. It comes with the territory. Also, when Trotz asked him to stop with the dumb penalties against Anaheim, he did. Trotz can get thru to him. That is his natural instinct too, to stick up for his teammates. Not so sure Franson has those instincts, to play d or read the play better. He's good offensively but I am nervous when he's on the ice. Not a good feeling to have. Maybe he grows, maybe he doesn't. I'd rather have O'Brien than Franson. O'Brien on the PK>Franson on the PP.

Old
05-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Working out teaches me this about hockey. When you experience pain, you rip the ****ing bandaid off and bleed it out.

Now, it also doesn't hurt that I like this off-season ****.

During the regular season to qualify for "top line status" (Top 90 forwards)you have to score the following.

21g 51pts

Only two players on the Preds qualify for this: SK at 23 goals and 50 pts, and Hornqvist with 21 goals 48 pts. What this equation is missing is Lombardi who could have matched these numbers giving the Preds three wings that are first liners.

To qualify as a second line player (top 180)you have to get:

14g 39pts

Erat 17/50 Legwand 17/41 Wilson 16/34 Fisher 19/36. What's missing from this is Cal O'Reilly.

Injuries were the story of this year. injuries specifically to the center corp.

As for the 3rd line Nashville is losing their 3rd line of scoring: Ward 10/29 Sully 10/22 and Dumont 10/19

4th line was beautiful: Smithson, Halischuk, Spaling, Tootoo, Geoffrion at times.

Defensively, do what you want.

We hear the word 'Concussion' and we become scared ****less. I know I do. I personally think Lombardi is done. Boullion not so much but I will wait for more information.

Weber pay the man. If he asks for 8 million do it. The question is 'Is the 4 1st rder tender enough for Weber'?

It all depends on where the tender goes up to. Just pay the guy.

Weber-Suter

What does the the second pairing look like. As much as the hater gonna hate, Klein is a #3 so is Blum. Franson could be interesting. If Weber goes, then I would not be too adverse to seeing a Franson-Suter pairing. here's what I want to see.

Weber-Suter
Klein-Blum
Franson-Boullion
Laakso

Ellis-Josi in Milwaukee.

Mid-Season post trade deadline

Weber-Suter
Klein-Blum
Ellis-Josi
Laakso (or Boullion if you'd like to keep a vet on the roster)

When the trade deadline comes along my question is this, 'Will Boullion and Franson be trade deadline chips?"

Would you be comfortable with Josi and Ellis coming up mid-season with Boullion and Franson traded for a potential forward?

And speaking of forwards, on the roster right now.

Erat-Legwand-Kostitsyn (RFA)
Dumont-Lombardi-Hornqvist
Wilson-Fisher-Geoffrion
Spaling (RFA)-Smithson-Halischuk(RFA)
Tootoo-O'Reilly (RFA)

Full roster it you look at the numbers. Buuuut. Dumont is doomed. I hate saying it but the guy has lost a step or six. In the playoffs he was the worse +/-60 on the ice by a long shot -2.94 with Colin Wilson second with -1.80. In the Barry Trotz system both are square logs in round holes. If David Poile can trade them for a scoring forward it would be on par with moving Arnott. A Miracle. Do you wait one more year for Wilson to grasp Trotz's defensive first mentality or move him with Dumont to make roster space and cash/cap space?

As for UFA forwards to sign, Leino is the one screaming out to fit. 19g .99 +/-60 highest amongst UFAs. Richards would be a peace pipedream but not a bad fit.

Ward will be back. He was the second best defensive forward, statistically, on the ice in the playoffs and stepped the hell up.

Lombardi is the one guy who fascinates me. If he can come back, he's the big UFA signing. If not, the cheap solution would be sign both O'Reilly and Goc, bump down Geoffrion to Milwaukee. the swing for the fences move would be to try and sign Richards. No, I'm not joking.

So many possible moves to be made.

Cash/Cap wise the Cash is this

Tootoo: 100,000
Fisher: -200,000
Erat: +1,500,000
Rinne: +600,000

Total: 2,000,000 over cap numbers
Wilson was -1 in his 3 games played in playoffs.......it was an ENG. Defensively he played solidly. If you are going to state plus/minus as something of importance, then look at the regular season. He was +9.
Dumont was not truly given any chance the last half of the season. Playing 7-9 minutes per game is hard to get anything going or have any confidence.
How about your Fisher, SK, Erat, Hornqvist stats in the playoffs (averaging about 17 or more minutes per game).........this may have been a problem?
Tootoo, Ward and Legwand stepped up for you guys, and thank God they did! And, PEKKA RINNE, SUTER AND WEBER

Old
05-10-2011, 03:32 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I am refering to CORSI numbers from behindthenet.ca which states the +/- of a player on the ice vs. off.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...24+25+26+27+28

Old
05-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Any chance Mattias Ekholm makes the team next year? I know you guys have a ridiculous amount of young d-men in the organisation, but this guy is quite something. 6'3", SEL rookie of the year, 33 points (10 goals) in 55 games.. really quite extraordinary.

Old
05-10-2011, 03:54 PM
jd22

vCash: 705
Send a message via MSN to jd22
What kind of contract will Joel Ward be looking at? After seeing this series, I would guess 1.8 per/3 years?

Old
05-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
I am refering to CORSI numbers from behindthenet.ca which states the +/- of a player on the ice vs. off.

Well, I apologize, did not know you were referring to Corsi numbers. Still, I felt Wilson played great in the defensive zone during his 3 games. Numbers aside, he was strong on the boards getting the puck out of the zone, helped D gain possession behing the net and had some blocked shots. If corsi numbers say he wasn't good defensively, that's the way it goes.

Old
05-10-2011, 04:00 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Wilson has a long future with the Predators, Trotz is just doing his young guy thing with him for now.

Old
05-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
Any chance Mattias Ekholm makes the team next year? I know you guys have a ridiculous amount of young d-men in the organisation, but this guy is quite something. 6'3", SEL rookie of the year, 33 points (10 goals) in 55 games.. really quite extraordinary.
I wouldn't count on it with Josi and Ellis in the system, but stranger things have happened. Maybe he'll blow away competition in camp ala Lindback.

Old
05-10-2011, 04:09 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I wouldn't count on it with Josi and Ellis in the system, but stranger things have happened. Maybe he'll blow away competition in camp ala Lindback.
From what I've read, he has no intention of coming over next season into a situation where he feels he has no real shot at playing anywhere but milwaukee. a while back, there was a swedish interview in which he said he'd be back there for at least next season, possibly the one after as well.

Old
05-10-2011, 04:57 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Stupid penalties come with a guy who will clear the crease and defend teammates. I had no problem with O'Brien at all. It comes with the territory. Also, when Trotz asked him to stop with the dumb penalties against Anaheim, he did. Trotz can get thru to him. That is his natural instinct too, to stick up for his teammates. Not so sure Franson has those instincts, to play d or read the play better. He's good offensively but I am nervous when he's on the ice. Not a good feeling to have. Maybe he grows, maybe he doesn't. I'd rather have O'Brien than Franson. O'Brien on the PK>Franson on the PP.
agreed dude... agreed.

Old
05-10-2011, 06:05 PM
dulzhok

Some thoughts in random order...

The same glaring weakness is still glaring at us-- no true 1st line players.

We have a couple of OK 2nd line players, several 2nd/3rd line 'twenners, and the rest.

Scoring 4 goals a game vs the Ducks in the playoffs is the anomaly. The stars had to align for that one (i.e. Tootoo becoming a scoring machine). We will continue to have to scrape out wins, which can only get us so far...

Resigning Suter, Weber, Rinne would be great and all, but that just maintains the status quo.

Getting to the 2nd rd of playoffs was key to growing the game in Nashville. The 'excitement' is in the air, tickets are selling easily, and the Preds have a chance to become a staple. We need front line talent to make the next step, and there is no easy answer to that.

We have to find out what the deal is with Suter and Weber. If either of them looks they may bolt (for money or other reasons), we have to deal them for offense. We can not afford another Hamhuisian lost asset situation. It would be a major step back.

If we can not find front line talent, I feel our offense would be better servered to get a left-handed blast to Weber, as opposed to another make-shift front-line player (Fisher, Lombardi, etc). Someone who can truly impact the PP-- like a Christian Erhoff. This would also give us flexibility if one of Suter/Weber has to be traded.

How are we going to take the next step?

Old
05-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Some thoughts in random order...

The same glaring weakness is still glaring at us-- no true 1st line players.

We have a couple of OK 2nd line players, several 2nd/3rd line 'twenners, and the rest.

Scoring 4 goals a game vs the Ducks in the playoffs is the anomaly. The stars had to align for that one (i.e. Tootoo becoming a scoring machine). We will continue to have to scrape out wins, which can only get us so far...

Resigning Suter, Weber, Rinne would be great and all, but that just maintains the status quo.

Getting to the 2nd rd of playoffs was key to growing the game in Nashville. The 'excitement' is in the air, tickets are selling easily, and the Preds have a chance to become a staple. We need front line talent to make the next step, and there is no easy answer to that.

We have to find out what the deal is with Suter and Weber. If either of them looks they may bolt (for money or other reasons), we have to deal them for offense. We can not afford another Hamhuisian lost asset situation. It would be a major step back.

If we can not find front line talent, I feel our offense would be better servered to get a left-handed blast to Weber, as opposed to another make-shift front-line player (Fisher, Lombardi, etc). Someone who can truly impact the PP-- like a Christian Erhoff. This would also give us flexibility if one of Suter/Weber has to be traded.

How are we going to take the next step?
I agree with everything you said except the bolded. The current situation is nothing like it was with Hamhuis. We consciously let Hamhuis walk.

I think we need to obtain another "Kariya." A proven, seasoned vet who may be on the downside of his career, but has been a proven scorer in recent years. I'm tempted to say Hejduk, but he is too old.

Old
05-10-2011, 06:48 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I agree with everything you said except the bolded. The current situation is nothing like it was with Hamhuis. We consciously let Hamhuis walk.
I agree that we had a pretty good idea that Hamhuis was gone. But with that decision also came decision to miss out on getting significant return for Hamhuis.

If Poile thinks Weber or Suter may walk, we cannot let them go for nothing like Hamhuis (when the return/loss will be even greater). That's what we can't afford.

Old
05-10-2011, 06:50 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I agree that we had a pretty good idea that Hamhuis was gone. But with that decision also came decision to miss out on getting significant return for Hamhuis.

If Poile thinks Weber or Suter may walk, we cannot let them go for nothing like Hamhuis (when the return/loss will be even greater!). That's what we can't afford.
I think it's a different situation now. Back when Hamhuis was in UFA year, there weren't a lot of other D options available. Now, we could trade one of the two (hope we don't) and still have good D men.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:13 PM
PredsFanFromla

i read somewhere that shea weber has repeatedly turned down contract extensions from the preds,does anybody if this just a rumor or is it true.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFanFromla View Post
i read somewhere that shea weber has repeatedly turned down contract extensions from the preds,does anybody if this just a rumor or is it true.
Can you provide links or a source to this rumor? I have never heard it.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:27 PM
JacklegJack

Speaking of money, does anyone know what the latest word on W Brett Wilson's investment situation with the Preds is? It's taking an awful long time to work him into the ownership (last I read was an article from 2010 saying that the Boots issue was slowing things down), has there been any progress? Always nice to get some new faces (with deep pockets) into the organization.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:29 PM
predsblog

Quote:

What you've linked to isn't Corsi. It's not even for individual player--that's TEAM +/- when the player is on the ice, prorated to 60 minutes, FOR the playoffs. That's a two game sample size for Wilson...

Last edited by golfmade: 05-10-2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Bad link.
Old
05-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Suter x 20

I sincerely believe Weber is staying, Suter too.

I'm usually a negative-nelly, but I don't think the pair will be going anywhere any time soon.

Old
05-10-2011, 08:31 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

As far as rumors go - Links to other bulletin boards will not be accepted as a legitimate source.

And especially if you notice when you post a website and it's ******.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:04 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
There is also two problems:

Who can offer him such money (6.5m). Looks like all big markets are tight.

And if some do, will that be the one he go play for?

Old
05-10-2011, 09:04 PM
PredsFanFromla

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
As far as rumors go - Links to other bulletin boards will not be accepted as a legitimate source.

And especially if you notice when you post a website and it's ******.

sorry that i posted the website,i didn't mean any harm by it

Old
05-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Reviled
Partisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennman View Post
Not sure what formula you used to get your numbers but I think you slightly miscalculated. We scored only 219 goals in the regular season and the NHL leader scored 262(Vancouver). So with 800 more regular season and 94 more playoff goals I think we would win the cup. Maybe you missed a decimal point.
Naah,

Just making the numbers silly to counterpoint those from the next paragraph: Specifically, one more PP goal per game or per two games would have made a WORLD of difference in round 2. Just getting the powerplay to convert at a reasonable clip may alleviate or eliminate the need for expensive new talent.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Reviled
Partisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Yea, I don't know if the flyers would do hartnell for lindback straight up. Maybe if they were going to use the extra cap space to sign a couple players.

What do you think lindbacks potential is?

Also id bet versteeg would be available. But that's in my eyes I dont know about holmgren's. And i dont know that you would want him. I dont like him on the flyers at all
Hartnell and Trotz are like matter and anti-matter...If hartness is traded back to NSH, I can easily see Trotz sitting Hartnell right next to Dumont in the pressbox all year.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:29 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
sorry that i posted the website,i didn't mean any harm by it
No harm no foul. Just letting people know.

Closed Thread