HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jim Schoenfeld on NYR plans

Old
05-08-2011, 01:54 PM
NYRKING30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Stay away from Jokinen and Erhoff.. these two will be boo`d out of NY
Erhoff is a product of his environment. i think he would regress a bit playing for any other team besides vancouver. btw since most of the focus (in my mind too) is on the offense and improving that, what are the big ufa d-men available july 1st besides kaberle,mccabe,erhoff,brewer,markov,bieksa?

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:08 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
The Bruins gave up a ton for Kaberle so they will resign him even though he hasnt been great
i would not want this guy at all. disaster in the making frolov part deux. I feel like torts and probably other people between the staff and the front office feel like del zotto cannot fill our void for a puck moving dman. Torts has on a few different occasions talked about a puck moving defenseman and the need for one. to me it kind of feels like they are already counting him out or maybe still feel hes not mentally ready or mature enough to be trusted. it's just a thought, wondering if anybody feels the same to an extent. what we say and what goes on is 2 different things obviously, this offseason is probably our biggest and most important one yet prob since before the cup. I would love to know whose on our radar right now and what is being dangled. anybody have thoughts on del zotto?

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 04:47 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
i would not want this guy at all. disaster in the making frolov part deux. I feel like torts and probably other people between the staff and the front office feel like del zotto cannot fill our void for a puck moving dman. Torts has on a few different occasions talked about a puck moving defenseman and the need for one. to me it kind of feels like they are already counting him out or maybe still feel hes not mentally ready or mature enough to be trusted. it's just a thought, wondering if anybody feels the same to an extent. what we say and what goes on is 2 different things obviously, this offseason is probably our biggest and most important one yet prob since before the cup. I would love to know whose on our radar right now and what is being dangled. anybody have thoughts on del zotto?
I agree. This offseason is HUGE no doubt about it. Could potentially mean the difference between contending and not, or winning a Cup or not.

On MDZ...I think he makes the team next year. I can't see anyone else beating him out, even a guy like V-Tank. I think he enters camp confident with his head on straight, and let's face it, the team desperately needs his vision and passing. Hopefully last year was just a sophomore slump, and he progresses like we all want him to. Also, if he's being dangled in trade possibilities, we better be getting a damn good player in return. We have no one in the system with MDZ's skillset.

Like some others posters have said, I hope we are able to acquire a PMD to play with Staal in the top pairing. I'm not a fan of Staal-Girardi as there is absolutely no offensive threat, and not having that from your #1 pairing is unacceptable if you're trying to contend. Whether it's a signing or trade, I think it's necessary to acquire an offensively skilled d-man to play with Staal. Then you have something that looks like this.

Staal-???
McD-Sauer
MDZ-Girardi

Every pairing is balanced and defensively responsible. Might have a few bumps to deal with in the beginning, but overall this would be much improved.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 01:37 AM
Ace2008

how this for being a cup threat a little bit sooner maybe at least a threat for a top 3 playoff seeding

at the 2011 draft

Wolski+pick for Marco Scandella*good skating 6'3/222lb RightD 20yr

UFA option (think the KTimmonen/S.Hartnell deals w/ nash-Phila)

Prospal's UFA right+2012 1st rounder+Girardi+Boyle=S.Weber* he's due for a decent raise from 5mill which would be above the per player max that Nashville has ever paid for a player and they have Franson, Blum, superstar in waiting in Ryan Ellis, Klein and Suter + 23-26min a game for Girardi...they're happy since he blocks more shots that any other NHLer and "smashville"'s system is alot like NYR.

Fedotenko UFA option + Zuccarello-Aasen= S Della Rovere is like having a 2nd Prust, and StL. needs a good skill guy to replace Boyes who they shipped out to make room for Tarasenko who would be great alonside Fedotenko...HMMM>>>>

E.Gratchev+UFA rights to McCabe to Edm for MPS Paajarvi-Svensson

Line Combos and Rationale...the name of the game is speed and goals from all positions. Other than M.Sauer no slow skaters w/o a separation gear need apply.
14-16 mins for all forwards and yes guys can score 30 goals on just 14 mins avg ice time...remember Prucha!

in parenthesis is expected goals some guys have lower totals because they'll either A-get traded mid season or B- get demoted/inj/ into the Doghouse

MagnusPajaarviSvensson*28*-b.Richards*33*-Gaborik*31^

its a speed line designed to tire out the top pairing of defenders on most teams w/ slower defenders like the bulk of the Atlantic division teams

Avery*11*-Dubinsky*26*-UFA Ferriero/Joel Ward/Upshall *21*

a classic Grind line w/ Callahan freed up to boost either Anisimov or Stepan depending on who needs the boost more that night.
1 of the 3 between Ben Ferriro/ Joel Ward and S.Upshall should be available for about 1.75-2.5 mill.

Prust*11*-Anisimov*10*-Artukhin*18*(Artukhin replaces J.Shelley)
The new keepaway cycle line for killing time off the clock and drawing/killing Penalties.

Kopecky*17*-Stepan*22*-Callahan*25*

combination of board control, playmaking and speed this line causes problems on the PP or the even strength unit.

spares-

Kreider*might not be ready*--Della Rovere*prust 2.0*-Weise*really liked him in 2010*

Staal*11*--Gilroy*10* Gilroy briefly partnered w/ Staal and lookedok

McDonagh*11*-Weber*18*(Mobility and scoring on 2nd pairing

Sauer*4*--*8*Scandella/Eminger*6*whoever works harder gets the 6th spot

MDZ*pots 5 goals in filler duty*- Eminger/Scandella

the blueline plays about 20mins per guy like they did 3 seasons ago

and the forwards avg 14-16 each although pp heavy contests might see Gaborik play an extra 2 minutes.

basically 2 pK trios and 2 solid PP duos as well as 4 left and 4 right shooting blueline duos matched together for easy shots

Biron backs up LooooondQvvisT....!

thoughts...

Salary cap is expected at around 63 mill right?

MPS*1.2*-Richards*6.5*-Gaborik*7.5*

Avery*1.9*-Dubi*2.5*-UFA*2.5

Prust*1*-Anisimov*1*-Artukhin*1.6*

Kopecky*1.3*-Stepan*1*-Callahan*2.8*(1yr deal to max cap space

DellaRovere*550k*-Kreider*1*-Weise*900k*

Boogard*minors*-Drury*buyout*-Redden*Lost and Found bin*

Staal*3.9*--gilroy*1.4*

McD*1.2*-SheaWeber*5.75 x 2yrs*

Sauer*9ook*-Scandella*800k*

MDZ*1.2*-Eminger*1.4*

Lundqvist*6.75*--Biron 1*

In 2 yrs time Dylan McIlroy will be ready and Weber can be used for Trade bait etc...
obviously there will be a little bit more room than this cap wise since some big money player *cough...Gaborik* will miss the usual 8-13 games and save about 800,000 in cap space right there versus a fill in like Weise who jumps onto the 4th line.

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 01:43 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I'll confess to not being an Ian White expert but watching him play for San Jose, he could be a good value signing. Moves the puck well and could be a offensive pair partner for Del Zotto. Not a true PP QB but unless Sather has a lot of tricks up his sleeve, I can't see the Rangers being able to sign a premier defenseman (Pitkanen, Ehrhoff) and Richards.
I agree with this.

I don't think Sather will have the cap space this offseason to fill both of these pressing needs, but Ian White could turn out to be an excellent stop-gap. He's not big, but he's tough, a good skater, and has nice offensive instincts. He can pot 35 points, add a positive leadership presence, and play well in a 3rd pairing role defensively.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 01:54 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I'll confess to not being an Ian White expert but watching him play for San Jose, he could be a good value signing. Moves the puck well and could be a offensive pair partner for Del Zotto. Not a true PP QB but unless Sather has a lot of tricks up his sleeve, I can't see the Rangers being able to sign a premier defenseman (Pitkanen, Ehrhoff) and Richards.
Quote:
I love Erik Cole. Just love him. But he's a 3rd priority (skilled center, puck moving defenseman) and would almost certianly indicate a trade of some core assets to make cap room.
I couldn't agree more, on both counts. I think Ian White is a guy to consider IF the team signs a free agent defenseman, but not before they sign Richards, of course.

Love Cole, as well. Been one of my favorite players since 05. Terrific role player but we just don't need him right now. I also think he loves Carolina, and he fits them well.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 03:13 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
long ridiculous proposal
Where do you perform your comedy routine? I would love to see it some time.

Anyway, does anybody know how coveted Colaiacovo is over on St. Louis? He's not that top pairing PMD we need, but he's a good 2-way defenseman. Like Gilroy, only 10x better.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 03:19 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Edmonton is in rebuild mode...they arent going to trade MPS for pretty much anything short of a GROSS overpayment.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 06:18 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Edmonton is in rebuild mode...they arent going to trade MPS for pretty much anything short of a GROSS overpayment.
Oh come on I think that guy just offered every spare part we have, surely they can't turn down a package THAT big!

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 09:40 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Oh come on I think that guy just offered every spare part we have, surely they can't turn down a package THAT big!
the part i like the most is how after those trades the lineup still looks terrible...lol

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
the part i like the most is how after those trades the lineup still looks terrible...lol
I know right? Oh the joys of off season threads. Although I think the poster was trying to be funny (I hope). Ya never know!

Old
05-10-2011, 10:28 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Who is Dylan McIlroy?

Shea Weber for what now? Just to trade him in 2 seasons.

GraTchev + dogmeat for MPS? Edm fans =

And Callahan on the 4th line for the win! Way to dunk it home champ.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Joe Hallenback

Seems plausible that Hemsky could be a target considering how Sather thinks.

Grachev + Weise + 1st 2011

for

Hemsky + Conditional pick in 2012/13? Conditions based on games played etc..

Is that fair or too much?

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Seems plausible that Hemsky could be a target considering how Sather thinks.

Grachev + Weise + 1st 2011

for

Hemsky + Conditional pick in 2012/13? Conditions based on games played etc..

Is that fair or too much?
I would think Grachev and our 1st alond would be able to get Hemsky. No idea how Renney feels about Grachev though.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I would think Grachev and our 1st alond would be able to get Hemsky. No idea how Renney feels about Grachev though.
I think you are probably right

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 01:48 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
This board can't find a middle ground with Anisimov. There are those that think we should trade him because we can, and there are those that are in love with his game. I, for one, love his game. He's our best defensive forward at 22, and he chipped in with 44 points in his sophomore year, and we should trade him? Why can't we keep him, and have excellent center depth? He's not a superstar, but he's not chopped liver, either.

I love Boyle, but with his increased value, it would be a good time to capitalize on it and trade him in a bigger deal.
It isn't about trading AA because we can (well maybe for some), but more along the lines of the fact that he would be someone that is expendable in a deal for an elite talent. Stepan is clearly going to be a better player and Boyle looks like our long term 3rd line center, so if we can get an elite LW (or C if BR isn't signed) for AA+... you HAVE to do it. Otherwise you are promoting being stuck in the middle of the pack every year. AA won't get much better than he is now, because he just doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to do so. Too soft and he is doesn't tend to show up in big games.

Given that, if there is no elite player available or we can get that said player for something else other than AA that doesn't include anyone important to our core, then you have to keep him. He is a good player.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 01:51 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
But how much will White cost??? We already have our top 4, so Sather isn't going to spend more than $1-$2M on a bottom pair D. Scoring forwards are the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd priority this offseason.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:18 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
It isn't about trading AA because we can (well maybe for some), but more along the lines of the fact that he would be someone that is expendable in a deal for an elite talent. Stepan is clearly going to be a better player and Boyle looks like our long term 3rd line center, so if we can get an elite LW (or C if BR isn't signed) for AA+... you HAVE to do it. Otherwise you are promoting being stuck in the middle of the pack every year. AA won't get much better than he is now, because he just doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to do so. Too soft and he is doesn't tend to show up in big games.

Given that, if there is no elite player available or we can get that said player for something else other than AA that doesn't include anyone important to our core, then you have to keep him. He is a good player.
I don't know about all that. Seems pretty subjective to me.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 04:21 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I don't know about all that. Seems pretty subjective to me.
Let's see... Torts starts the season by not wanting to put too much responsibility on AA... implying that he is worried about his mental strength. Every time AA is on the ice, he is getting knocked over by players half his size. At the trade deadline, AA basically disappeared because he was worried about being traded. In the playoffs, he was a ghost when the Rangers needed him most. Ugh. Once again, AA is a solid player, but he doesn't have the intangibles that you want in a player that would make him untouchable as many think he should be.

Old
05-10-2011, 04:46 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Let's see... Torts starts the season by not wanting to put too much responsibility on AA... implying that he is worried about his mental strength. Every time AA is on the ice, he is getting knocked over by players half his size. At the trade deadline, AA basically disappeared because he was worried about being traded. In the playoffs, he was a ghost when the Rangers needed him most. Ugh. Once again, AA is a solid player, but he doesn't have the intangibles that you want in a player that would make him untouchable as many think he should be.
He's TWENTY TWO YEARS OLD.

The only person who showed up in the playoffs was Hank.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 05:15 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Let's see... Torts starts the season by not wanting to put too much responsibility on AA... implying that he is worried about his mental strength.
Or that, like just about any young player, it will take time for him to adjust to being relied upon as one of our top guys.

Quote:
Every time AA is on the ice, he is getting knocked over by players half his size.
Pretty sure the only hobbit in the league is on our team, and even he is bigger than 3'2". In previous years Anisimov did have a habit of getting caught with his head down, but he improved that a lot this year, and wasn't caught in vulnerable positions nearly as often.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
At the trade deadline, AA basically disappeared because he was worried about being traded.
And then when the team showed confidence in him, he had his most productive stretch of the season. He's a young player and he seems to like it here, so I don't find it surprising to hear that he was uncomfortable with the trade talk.

Quote:
In the playoffs, he was a ghost when the Rangers needed him most.
Be was also getting very little ice time, and he averaged 0:08/game on the PP. Check this out:

Stepan: 0 points, 0 PP points, 2:45/game on the PP
Boyle: 0 points, 0 PP points, 3:00/game on the PP
Dubinsky: 3 points, 0 PP points, 3:52/game on the PP

The list goes on. 14 players averaged more PPTOI/game than Anisimov, and only 3 produced a single point on the man-advantage. Should we trade all of them, too? Seems unfair to criticize Anisimov when he didn't even have the benefit of the man-advantage to get scoring chances. MEANWHILE, he was arguably our best defensive forward in the series.

Quote:
Ugh. Once again, AA is a solid player, but he doesn't have the intangibles that you want in a player that would make him untouchable as many think he should be.
Sorry he isn't Sidney Crosby and Chris Drury all rolled up into one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
He's TWENTY TWO YEARS OLD.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The only person who showed up in the playoffs was Hank.
Staal, Girardi, McD, and Sauer say hello.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:57 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I am fine if NY simply resigns the RFA, buy out Drury, send the WADE to the AHL and go with what they have.

I enjoyed watching the team play on most nights this past season and this fan doesn't HAVE to have brad richards or whomever is todays flavor

I am hoping that guys from the Whale have a shot at making the team, that Boogaard significantly improves his skating and that we can expect the young core player to improve for the most part across the board.

If I had to choose an asset to deal it would be Girardi because I feel he is most easily replaced. But I really like his game and would be sad to see him go elsewhere. Then again I felt that way a little about Tyutin

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 03:31 AM
Ola

Schoeney mentions Detroit Red Wings as a example of a successful team that didn't go through the last overall in the NHL for 5 straight years approch.

I want to comment that a bit. Everyone mentions Detroit Red Wings as a example, but there are still no "copy cats". Why? That's simple, "they had Yzerman and drafted Feds, Lidas, Z, Dats and co with late round picks, if you can do that, fine but its not something that you can copy".

You know, to a extent, fair enough.

But I do not think its that easy. To a big extent too, they are avoiding the copy cat's by making them believe that kind of like the hen came before the egg, while in fact they came hand in hand so to speak. Because they are doing a lot of things diffrent then other org's.

1. They are giving their kids more time then anyone else. Often not touching them before 3-4 years after they have been drafted.

2. They never bring up a kid before he is ready. Some talk about "giving a kid a shot", like the you never know-approch. Like you do now if a kid is ready or not. Its not the only way, you do not have to keep them in HFD/Europe untill they are ready, you can bring them up, tell everyone "look at our kids", and they can develop in the NHL too. But it's not Detroit's approch.

3. They keep their team intact to as big extent as possible. They do the absolute opposite thing of like Slats nickle & dime-approch were you can follow like a 3rd round pick from 2005 and see how that pick have been traded 5-6 times and how like Dom Moore after x amount of moves becomes Z player. I saw someone mention how a goalie we talked about aquiring as a back up/HFD guy were too old, since he was "28 y/o". I blew a fuse. Its 2011. If a player have 5 years left in his prime, he will be with us untill the end of the 2017 season. In the world we are living with, that's enough. Who keep their backups around longer then that? And never ever dump a vet who is good enough, but can be "replaced" with a kid who probably can do the same job. Dump the vet when you have a kid who like is on another planet then him. Do not bring in a ton of vets from the outside. But if you have a player that works, in like a 6th D role, you do not bring up a kid into that position because the kid possibly could grow and become a top 2 D. Play the kid when he is ready to be a top 4 D then.

I know that Pavel Datsyuk as like a 19/20 y/o were offered by a desperate agent to Malmö Red Hawks in Sweden. They took a short look at him and saw a weak, soft, small, not-very-effective "classic Russian", and say nope, we don't think so and basically laughed in the Agent's face. They were a team desperate to add players. You know, I wouldn't be suprised if in a parallel universe, if drafted by any other team, Pavel Datsyuk, maybe the best player in the game per today, wouldn't even have made it to the NHL.

What's my point? I think you can do a lot at the management level in the NHL. So many are going about business like they always have. You have the "Cherry's" and you have a lot of "truths".

Last edited by Ola: 05-11-2011 at 03:38 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

In regards to Anisimov he was labeled by the Rangers as a core player. Dubinsky even said that the pack line was successful because of AA. He has improved in every facet of his game. He is motivated to get better and wants to be the best Russian player. He's a keeper. Luckily the Rangers brass knows more about hockey and their players than the people around here.

Old
05-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Orr Nightmare

Free Agents I would have intrest in:

Konopka
Curtis Glencross
Rypien
Cody McCormick
Ryan Jones
Ben Eager
Leino
Tanner Glass
MacIntyre - If Boogie retires
Boulton - preferred over Mac, for Boogie
Rupp

All above should be cheap with maybe Leino looking to cash out.

Bieska
Wisniewski
Vandermeer
Shane O'Brien
Steve Montador
Jonathan Ericcson

Probably can't afford Bieska or Wisniewski and we might be able to promote someone from Hartford, but I am not sure I want Gilroy

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote