HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards News Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2011, 06:48 PM
TreeSapLlama

vCash: 500
It is tough. On the one hand, Rangers haven't had a skater of Richards caliber since Jagr (I consider his package better then Gaborik, by 1 tier) He is a legitimate talent. On the other hand, Rangers fans saw what giving a contract like what he deserves to Drury. Granted Richards is better then Drury ever was, but Drury wasn't bad at the time he signed either.

As long as there is NO NMC, I would give him the length he wants, as long as he takes a smaller cap hit to do it. 6 years, 36 million would be my ideal. I realize he probably will get more.

Old
05-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Four years and $6.5 MAX.

Don't think it's going to happen. Anything more, Rangers should walk.

Anyone reading what I've written knows I'm against signing Brad, but if we can get him for $26, I'm all on board. I just can't see it happening unless Brad so loves the Rangers and/or Torts that he's willing to take significantly less money and years than what others offer him.

Let's just say that this won't be anywhere near the highest offer he'll receive. It makes a lot more sense for several other teams that are closer to contending for the Cup to overpay him, so they I expect at least a couple contenders to go crazy trying to sign him.

The contract you are proposing is about what he'd get as an RFA, not UFA.

Old
05-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Don't know that there are any specific rumors really.

The speculation is that Dallas would be his first choice, but he's leery of their uncertain ownership situation. Also speculated that Toronto would be interested, but he might not want to go there, and that he would be amenable to signing a contract to come play here.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Dallas may or may not be his first chance. If you are a player, you always say that your present home is where you want to be to show "good character."

It's like saying that you think you wife is the most beautiful woman in the world. It doesn't matter if you think so, you just say it to prove your character.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:00 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
IMO this is the type of player you risk a big contract on. I know we've been burnt by Gomez and Drury, but this guy is a 90 point player if he has a good line. Gomez and Drury never came close to those numbers. I see people here saying $6.5 mil/year maximum. It'd be foolish to not go higher to get Richards. I don't want to put too many eggs into one basket obviously. I think Malkin's contract hurts Pittsburgh, and he's an elite talent. Then again, Pittsburgh's also won a cup recently.

I also have no problem with a LIMITED no movement clause. One where he can select 6 teams he doesn't want to be traded to or something like that. I don't care if the no movement clause stipulates he can't be sent to the AHL either. He's not Drury. He's not Redden. People need to distance these players in their head.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
IMO this is the type of player you risk a big contract on. I know we've been burnt by Gomez and Drury, but this guy is a 90 point player if he has a good line. Gomez and Drury never came close to those numbers. I see people here saying $6.5 mil/year maximum. It'd be foolish to not go higher to get Richards. I don't want to put too many eggs into one basket obviously. I think Malkin's contract hurts Pittsburgh, and he's an elite talent. Then again, Pittsburgh's also won a cup recently.

I also have no problem with a LIMITED no movement clause. One where he can select 6 teams he doesn't want to be traded to or something like that. I don't care if the no movement clause stipulates he can't be sent to the AHL either. He's not Drury. He's not Redden. People need to distance these players in their head.
Mr. Consistency on RW and God only knows on the left. This is a problem.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
I'm not worried about the 31 year old Richards.

I'm worried about the 35, 36, 37 year old Richards.

That's just me.
There we go.

My guess is that he's be a first liner another 2 seasons and a good second liner the following 2 seasons. By the time he's in the second half of his 30s, he'll just be massive cap hit.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
I'm not worried about the 31 year old Richards.

I'm worried about the 35, 36, 37 year old Richards.

That's just me.
If 31-34 year old Richards were to bring us a Cup and 35-37 year old Richards sucked I'd take that deal.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
It is tough. On the one hand, Rangers haven't had a skater of Richards caliber since Jagr (I consider his package better then Gaborik, by 1 tier) He is a legitimate talent. On the other hand, Rangers fans saw what giving a contract like what he deserves to Drury. Granted Richards is better then Drury ever was, but Drury wasn't bad at the time he signed either.

As long as there is NO NMC, I would give him the length he wants, as long as he takes a smaller cap hit to do it. 6 years, 36 million would be my ideal. I realize he probably will get more.

Can you name one player of similar caliber his age who was a UFA who got this little?

Far worse players got more than $6 a year when they became UFAs. If he signs a contract like this, him and Torts will get married in Vermont. To sacrifice that much money means love.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:13 PM
NYR Viper

The only problem I am seeing is that people want to give Richards 7+ million/season or a long-term deal and then following that up by saying "if he has players to play with". The only players worth that much money are players that can carry a line and change a series alone. I worry that Richards will come in and only put up 70 points a year while carrying such a high price-tag.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
If 31-34 year old Richards were to bring us a Cup and 35-37 year old Richards sucked I'd take that deal.
Same here. But will he bring us the Cup? Doubt it. We are not one piece away. We will need another scoring winger and an offensive defenseman. The only way he brings us the Cup is if MDZ becomes a 55-point producer and either Kreider or Thomas develop into 65-point producers.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:31 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The only problem I am seeing is that people want to give Richards 7+ million/season or a long-term deal and then following that up by saying "if he has players to play with". The only players worth that much money are players that can carry a line and change a series alone. I worry that Richards will come in and only put up 70 points a year while carrying such a high price-tag.
If the cap keeps going up as the league revenues stay strong, and we have inexpensive young talent coming up through the ranks to fill out our roster, is there really much merit to squabbling over $1-1.5 mil in salary? I'd argue that amount will be pretty negligible. Our #1 D pairing has a combined cap hit of just $7.4 mil, and will for the next 3 full seasons, our strong 2nd pairing will have a low cap for the next several years... Whether Richards gets $6.5 mil or $7.5 mil cap hit is not going to be a difference maker in the bigger scheme of things.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Same here. But will he bring us the Cup? Doubt it. We are not one piece away. We will need another scoring winger and an offensive defenseman. The only way he brings us the Cup is if MDZ becomes a 55-point producer and either Kreider or Thomas develop into 65-point producers.
Where do you come up with this stuff? Check out Carolina's roster the season they won the Cup... You don't know what will happen in the post-season so don't act like you can look at a roster and say exactly what will happen.... Philly had some of the best depth in the league this season and couldn't win a single game in Round 2.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:37 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
If the cap keeps going up as the league revenues stay strong, and we have inexpensive young talent coming up through the ranks to fill out our roster, is there really much merit to squabbling over $1-1.5 mil in salary? I'd argue that amount will be pretty negligible. Our #1 D pairing has a combined cap hit of just $7.4 mil, and will for the next 3 full seasons, our strong 2nd pairing will have a low cap for the next several years... Whether Richards gets $6.5 mil or $7.5 mil cap hit is not going to be a difference maker in the bigger scheme of things.
The CBA expires September 15,2012. NHL wants to lower the players % which is currently 57% which means a lower upper limit. We discussed this topic in the salary cap thread a few weeks ago.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:39 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
There we go.

My guess is that he's be a first liner another 2 seasons and a good second liner the following 2 seasons. By the time he's in the second half of his 30s, he'll just be massive cap hit.
I'm still on the fence on Richards, but nobody knows what he'll be like in 3 years...but good set up guys can play for a long time...pretty sure Adam Oates has some productive seasons beyond his 35th birthday.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:40 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The CBA expires September 15,2012. NHL wants to lower the players % which is currently 57% which means a lower upper limit. We discussed this topic in the salary cap thread a few weeks ago.
I would ask:

1) What are the prospects for that happening given the NHLPA's interests in the matter?

2) How would player contracts based on the current CBA be impacted. Teams who structured their contracts based on the current salary cap upper limit would surely be at a big disadvantage.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 05-10-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old
05-10-2011, 07:43 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Mr. 84 points and possibly Brandon Dubinsky *coughjamesnealcough*. I'll take it.

Old
05-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
Where do you come up with this stuff? Check out Carolina's roster the season they won the Cup... You don't know what will happen in the post-season so don't act like you can look at a roster and say exactly what will happen.... Philly had some of the best depth in the league this season and couldn't win a single game in Round 2.
Carolina was 3rd in goals scored that year.

Old
05-10-2011, 08:15 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Mr. Consistency on RW and God only knows on the left. This is a problem.
Except Richards is the type of player that turns someone like Gabroik into a more consistent player.

"God only knows"...when in reality the worst case scenario is Dubinsky, Prospal or Wolski. I have no problem breaking up Dubi-Anisimov-Callahan to create this:
Dubinsky-Ricahrds-Gaborik
Wolski/UFA-Stepan-Callahan
Fedotenko-Anisimov-MZA
Avery-Boyle-Prust
Christensen

Staal-Girardi
Sauer-McD
???-??? (MDZ, Eminger, Gilroy, Valentenko, UFAs)

Old
05-10-2011, 08:17 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Mr. 84 points and possibly Brandon Dubinsky *coughjamesnealcough*. I'll take it.
Seriously. Or should we go with another year of Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik....

Old
05-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Seriously. Or should we go with another year of Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik....
This. I think Erik Christensen being a first liner speaks volumes about our offense. We need legitimate first line talent. I say we snag Richards. Unlike Gomez or Drury, his best seasons are 90 pointers.

Old
05-10-2011, 08:50 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Thats all good and great to say because we are hoping that by the end of his contract the cap will go up 5-7 million, but tell me this, are Gomez and Drury still not albatrosses? They were the day they were signed and they are still 4 years into their contracts and the cap has increased every season. Just food for thought.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:32 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Thats all good and great to say because we are hoping that by the end of his contract the cap will go up 5-7 million, but tell me this, are Gomez and Drury still not albatrosses? They were the day they were signed and they are still 4 years into their contracts and the cap has increased every season. Just food for thought.
Drury and Gomez were signed one year prior to the one of the biggest recessions in U.S. history. Even worse, Redden was signed literally a few months before the market tanked. Had the cap kept increasing like it had been prior to the crash, those contracts would be much easier to swallow today.

The 2005-2006 NHL salary cap was $39m. Three years later, when Redden was signed and right before the economy tanked, the cap had already risen to $56.7m! If the salary cap had continued going up at that rate (~6m per year), the Gomez, Drury, and Redden contracts would be much easier to swallow today (we'd be looking at about $70m in cap space for next season).

One can claim that Sather should've foreseen economic trouble prior to handing out those big time contracts, but let's not ignore the many more qualified, professional economists who also dropped the ball.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:34 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Well firstly, I believe in judging players independent of one another and with a clean slate. So by no means do I look at Gomez & Drury and draw inferences about what Brad Richards will or won't do.

Also, you don't even need the cap to go up 5-7 million to feel comfortable at the end of the contract. You just don't give out any NMC's in the latter years. Dolan's piggybank runs deep, I don't mind if a veteran player has to be well compensated to play in the minors if his play warrants it. Plus there' nothing saying there won't be some degree of cap-exempt buyouts stipulated in the next CBA agreement. If you look at how the Rangers are constructed, and the age of key young players, we will not be spending the bulk of our cap space on contracts for several of our key younger players; not in comparison to other teams with a bigger veteran presence, more players acquired via FA, and or elite younger talent that commands high end salaries. Our most experienced/developed young players are not at a level where they will command high end contracts, some are already signed to favorable contracts (most notably Staal). Stepan & McDonagh will come on the cheap for the next several years, both will be key players. Sauer will not be a highly paid defensemen for the near future and some of our most promising young prospects outside the NHL (Thomas, Kreider), will not likely see any time for at least another year or so, and they will be retained for minimal cap space in the following years. Rangers lack of reliance on multiple veteran players at this stage of the organization, bodes extremely well for cap space & management in the coming years. For all these years we've been operating with these inefficient veteran contracts, I don't think people stop to think about how much cap flexibility we're going to have when the dead weight cap hits finally absolve themselves; and how much more production we will get on the ice for a comparable amount of cap spending. Rangers depth on the ice is growing very quickly, and our cap distribution in the coming years will allow for more depth and team competitiveness than we've seen in a long time.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 05-10-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old
05-10-2011, 09:36 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Drury and Gomez were signed one year prior to the one of the biggest recessions in U.S. history. Even worse, Redden was signed literally a few months before the market tanked. Had the cap kept increasing like it had been prior to the crash, those contracts would be much easier to swallow today.

The 2005-2006 NHL salary cap was $39m. Three years later, when Redden was signed and right before the economy tanked, the cap had already risen to $56.7m! If the salary cap had continued going up at that rate (~6m per year), the Gomez, Drury, and Redden contracts would be much easier to swallow today (we'd be looking at about $70m in cap space for next season).

One can claim that Sather should've foreseen economic trouble prior to handing out those big time contracts, but let's not ignore the many more qualified, professional economists who also dropped the ball.
Even if the economy hadn't tanked, there was NO way the cap was going to continue to increase at that same percentage every year. Everyone knew that after the lockout the cap would rise. The strong Canadian dollar helped during the recession as well as the 6 Canadian teams account for a pretty significant portion of the leagues revenue.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
True, true.

And this is another reason that puts me in the middle with Richards. He obviously he has a few good years in front of him. Taking a completely unbiased view contenders in two-four years. If we sign Richards, we'll obviously be a lot better. A great center makes everyone on the team better. And I'm one of those that fully believe anything's possible in the playoffs which

Closed Thread