HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread, Part I

Old
05-07-2011, 01:31 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I'm on board with that, except for maybe the Commodore deal. What benefit is it really to the Rangers over buying out Drury? Redden's already eating up the 10% extra on the summer cap, so we can't spend Commodore's money until he's sent down at the end of camp.

The only advantage over buying out Drury is that we'll have a lot of money to work with at the trade deadline, but the disadvantage is that the full 3.75 mil will be on the books again next offseason, rather than Drury's 1.67 mil. Sure, we could buy out Commodore's final year, but his cap hit will still be $1,516,667, only 150k savings, and the following year when Drury would be off the books entirely, Commodore would have a cap hit of $1,116,667.

Are you expecting that there will be compliance buyouts in the next CBA that won't count against the cap? If we are sending Boogaard to Hartford, we can use his money at the deadline. If we're sending both him and Commodore down, we'd be operating at least 5.375 mil below the cap. That's like 20 million or more at the trade deadline. I can't imagine why we'd need that much cap space.

Is there a limit to the number of players that can be bought out? Is that why you are suggesting the trade?
It's a $2M difference between Commodore's 12-13 cap hit and the 2nd year of Drury's cap hit. It's not going to make or break the Rangers.

The CBA isn't going to remain status quo. It expires on September 15,2012. The NHL wants to lower the players %. NHL teams will want some mechanism in place to be compliant IF the NHL is successful. Compliance buyouts were part of the current CBA. Why wouldn't they be part of the next CBA? A players gets bought out and he gets his money over the same term. Not twice the term.

If the 11-12 upper limit is $63M,is it going to decrease for 12-13 with the new NBC money kicking in next season and the Canadian dollar trading comfortably over $1? It could increase by another $2-$3M IF the summer of 2012 begins with the current CBA unless there is a new CBA.

The NHLPA has never voted against exercising their 5% increase.

The Rangers have six group II's they want to re-sign and want to sign Brad Richards. Torts kept mentioning adding a skilled D in his interview with Michael Kay. Where is that money coming from?The Rangers will take a cap penalty for performance bonuses from 10-11. There is no bonus cushion for next season.

If the Rangers re-sign all of their group II's for more than 1 year(which they will),MDZ,Prust and Biron are their free agents for 2012. None of them are breaking the bank. Keep the commitments for 12-13 reasonable. Add $13-$14M for the six group II's. Add $6.5-$7M for Richards. $46M. The Rangers have $25M committed for that season so far. If the CBA doesn't change by July 2012 and the summer cap is $70M,the Rangers are fine. If the CBA changes and the upper limit is lowered,compliance buyout period.

Redden could breach his contract by not reporting in September and make this topic mute. Or there could be another lockout where no one gets paid.

I hate the 2/3 buyouts. Drury cost $3.7M next season and another $1.66M in 12-13.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 02:53 PM
OleOleOleOleBureBure

Nyr/edm

i remember reading when we signed boogard that EDM was about to sign him and thats why slats had to go with the deal that he gave him. So, IF that was really the case, what return would a Boogard/Wolski package yield us from EDM. I am not saying EDM wants these players but if they did......

OleOleOleOleBureBure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 02:54 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Peckham & a pick if they are feeling generous.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Souray's hair and a 5th. I'll take it.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post
Peckham & a pick if they are feeling generous.
Il take Peckham the guy is an absolute tank

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 02:58 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Any albatrosses they have.

Souray?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 02:58 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Given Boogaard's concussion issues this season, any interest Edmonton had in him during the summer has likely dissipated.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 04:15 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
I certainly wouldn't want to trade Anisimov, but:

1.Sign Richards
2.Trade AA+ for Weiss
3.Have Richards/Weiss/Stepan as 1-2-3.
4.??????
5. Winning
Dude... I am okay with moving AA to get a better player, but Weiss isn't that guy. Weiss is at best a #2 center... which is pretty much AA's upside. That kind of deal makes no sense. You need to up your expectations of what we could get for AA+ ... which is a more elite talent.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 04:17 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
Dude... I am okay with moving AA to get a better player, but Weiss isn't that guy. Weiss is at best a #2 center... which is pretty much AA's upside. That kind of deal makes no sense.
I wasn't being serious.

And Weiss is a 1B center. He's an ideal 2nd line center, but he can play in the #1 slot if need be.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman001 View Post
Weiss is one of the most overrated players in the league and I've never understood why.
Who's overrating Weiss?

Quote:
And Weiss is a 1B center. He's an ideal 2nd line center, but he can play in the #1 slot if need be.
I've also asked whether this team is better served by looking at a player like Weiss instead of Richards or in the event he doesn't sign here. I wouldn't swap Anisimov for him, nor do I think it would take that much to pry him away.

$3.1M cap hit on a backloaded contract that pays him $8.1M in his final 2 years. The real payroll is of bigger concern to the Cats than the cap, vice versa for the Rangers. I see an opportunity to open a dialogue at very least and maybe find a guy who fits nicely with Gabby at a discount.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Chalfdiggity3

If not Brad Richards...?

If we dont get our hands on Brad Richards and since there are no other top 1st line players available in the Free Agency, i could see us making a trade. Here is a hot rumor that i think we should take into consideration of what could happen.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi110510.html

"As Flyers GM Paul Holmgren looks to retool his roster for the 2011-12 season, with goaltending being at the top of his priority list, various reports have suggested the future of captain Mike Richards might be in jeopardy.
Richards, 26, does not see eye-to-eye with head coach Peter Laviolette and has been at odds with star defenseman Chris Pronger."

"All relationships are built," Laviolette told the Philadelphia Daily News. "You don't come in and put your hand on someone's hip and say, 'You and I are best friends.' Mike and I continue to work on our relationship. I respect him as a person and we continue to work on that."
Reports out of Philadelphia suggest Holmgren has not ruled out the possibility of dealing Richards, who has a no-movement clause that kicks in next summer.

However, teammate Jeff Carter has also been the subject of various trade rumors and it appears he would be more likely to be moved if the Flyers decide to shake up the roster.

Holmgren is expected to take the next two weeks re-evaluating his roster with his staff. Any major roster moves aren't expected until closer to the NHL Entry Draft in late-June."

I know its the Flyers but if either could be had for the right price, it is another option to Richards..

Or could we go crazy, sign richards and our other RFA's then make the trade for either of them.. have a top line of M. Richards/Carter - B. Richards - Gaborik

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:30 PM
FOXHOUND*

In division? Thats not happening.
Rather have Brad anyways to be honest.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:32 PM
NYR Viper

I would love to have Mike Richards. But there is NO way they trade him within the division. I would expect a team like CLB to have a LOT of interest in either one.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattrick Swayze View Post
In division? Thats not happening.
Rather have Brad anyways to be honest.
So would i, but i was thinking if we DONT get Brad Richards.. or even if we do get Brad Richards, we could trade for mike richards/Jeff Carter and have a ridiculous top line..

Rangers Trade:
Kundratek
15th overall
Anisimov
Girardi

Flyers Trade:
Mike Richards
Timmo?

Old
05-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
So would i, but i was thinking if we DONT get Brad Richards.. or even if we do get Brad Richards, we could trade for mike richards/Jeff Carter and have a ridiculous top line..

Rangers Trade:
Kundratek
15th overall
Anisimov
Girardi

Flyers Trade:
Mike Richards
Timmo?
I'd take Jeff Carter over Mike Richards.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
beat me to it.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
true but either one of them combined with Brad Richards and Gaborik would be a ridiculous 1st line, while still having the pack line.

Richards/Carter B.Richards Gaborik
Dubi Anisimov Cally
X - Stepan - X
X - X - X

Staal X
Mcd Sauer
X X

Old
05-10-2011, 09:03 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:

Rangers Trade:
Kundratek
15th overall
Anisimov
Girardi

Flyers Trade:
Mike Richards
Timmo?
I get you totally. I wouldn't mind Mike Richards on our team at all.
But beyond the whole in division thing making the trade less than possible, M. Richards wouldn't even be my first choice in a trade for a top line center guy. He's a great player, just don't know if he's a guy who can carry the weight of a team on his shoulders (anymore).
That's just me though.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
true but either one of them combined with Brad Richards and Gaborik would be a ridiculous 1st line, while still having the pack line.

Richards/Carter B.Richards Gaborik
Dubi Anisimov Cally
X - Stepan - X
X - X - X

Staal X
Mcd Sauer
X X
No doubt, but I think Anisimov or Stepan would be sent along in a package for either Richards or Carter, especially if it's for Richards considering he's a center.

I wouldn't want Mike Richards or Jeff Carter anyway. No way am I touching their contracts.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
No doubt, but I think Anisimov or Stepan would be sent along in a package for either Richards or Carter, especially if it's for Richards considering he's a center.

I wouldn't want Mike Richards or Jeff Carter anyway. No way am I touching their contracts.
You think Stepan or Anisimov would have to be added to the deal, with the main part of the deal being centered around Boyle, Girardi, and our 15th overall pick?

Old
05-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
You think Stepan or Anisimov would have to be added to the deal, with the main part of the deal being centered around Boyle, Girardi, and our 15th overall pick?
Boyle's a 3rd/4th liner.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:49 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Eh, really? Richards is clearly the better player.

But I'd rather have Brad Richards over both, and he's available for simply cash, so the discussion is pretty moot IMO.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
But I'd rather have Brad Richards over both, and he's available for simply cash, so the discussion is pretty moot IMO.
Obviously.

Old
05-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Why not both Richards'?

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Not me. Not in a million years.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote