HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Laviolette still building trust with captain Richards

Old
05-10-2011, 02:11 PM
bney7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Haha good, Pannachio is an ass. Don't understand why the media can't just focus on Mike Richards the hockey player.
Not for nothing, but Mike Richards the hockey player wasn't much to write home about this year. His play was terrible for the better part of the entire season.

bney7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 02:12 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
Well then what's the problem with them saying he has a lower body injury if you already know what it is?
This is funny..everybody all of the sudden now is defending management in how they deal with injuries..how ironic.

Let's face it it's pure PR and the headgames that the Flyers played for years with Lindros and even Pronger this year actually can actually work against you.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
This is funny..everybody all of the sudden now is defending management in how they deal with injuries..how ironic.

Let's face it it's pure PR and the headgames that the Flyers played for years with Lindros and even Pronger this year actually can actually work against you.
I'm not defending how they handle injuries, I'm defending how they talk about them to the media. Every team does the exact same thing, barring a season-ending injury like Pominville's.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 02:18 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
It was all supposed to change when Laviolette was swapped in for Stevens. They were supposed to be better conditioned. Their breakouts were to be better. Special teams were going to get better. They were supposed to be more consistent. They were supposed to give better effort. The SYSTEM would cut down on mistakes and breakdowns.

The result?

Ultrafail.

Personally, I don't blame the coach. But it is clear that many here deify the "core" players and will rail at any criticism of them. Those jerseys in the stands are real expensive, and no one buys a coach's jersey...
People dont mind just and fair criticism.... Ignoring all the positive and jumping off the deepend based solely on the negative is ridiculous. I have my problems with Carter, and Richards has fallen short sometimes, but it is because I place an unrealistic expectation on them. Well, more so with Richards. He is only human, and he has never shown me that he doesnt care..... The guy is a leader on the ice, he was hurt the second half of this year, **** happens.

If you traded 17 and 18, who can you bring in that is going to give you what they give for around 10 million (cap hit) per year for another 8 years? I just dont understand wanting those two gone. Someone could probably sway me to trade Carter, but the pieces to bring in (decent forward and well above average goalie) would cost this team 7.5 or more per year in cap space....... Id rather keep Carter even though he frustrates the hell out of me in the post season.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 02:24 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I'm not defending how they handle injuries, I'm defending how they talk about them to the media. Every team does the exact same thing, barring a season-ending injury like Pominville's.
yes but there is a lot of valid criticism about the whole practice. I for one think it's crap but maybe I'm more old school. I had no problem when injuries were more out in the open and I don't recall any negative ramifications with the transparency. Kerr used to get his bionic shoulder smashed regardless...Howe would get checked with his bad back as well and worse at the time since the rules were't as favorable to D men like they are now.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:24 PM

vCash: 50
Whilst that response is good to see, Richie has got to learn how to talk to the media. Like it or not, he's got to have a working relationship with them.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 02:44 PM
phillyfanatic

The only time Richie has been pissed is when his coach was fired, his teammates were traded, his teammates were made to be partying every night. He was quick to hit the media to get behind "his team".

The media talk **** about Richie all the time, he doesn't say squat. Now that Tim is writing articles about the Lavy and Richie relationship.....he is blasting him.

I love it. Tim should not be able to "create problems". Everyone is saying "no problem with coach and player. Normal relationship, not perfect, but good". Everyone is saying "Pronger and Richie get along just fine". Everyone is saying "Richie is the captain, quiet and reserved, but well respected by team and organization".

Tim P writes......the opposite. How is that journalism? It is B.S.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
yes but there is a lot of valid criticism about the whole practice. I for one think it's crap but maybe I'm more old school. I had no problem when injuries were more out in the open and I don't recall any negative ramifications with the transparency. Kerr used to get his bionic shoulder smashed regardless...Howe would get checked with his bad back as well and worse at the time since the rules were't as favorable to D men like they are now.
It's stupid, but it's SOP. I don't really have a problem with it.

Old
05-10-2011, 02:54 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
But it seems like half the Flyers board here listens, immediately panics, and starts dropping the names of various heads that need to be severed from bodies...

And I look at this nonsense and all I'm thinking is, "Wow. Panaccio got them all better than Pronger usually gets him. What a brilliant troll."

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 03:00 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
The only time Richie has been pissed is when his coach was fired, his teammates were traded, his teammates were made to be partying every night. He was quick to hit the media to get behind "his team".

The media talk **** about Richie all the time, he doesn't say squat. Now that Tim is writing articles about the Lavy and Richie relationship.....he is blasting him.

I love it. Tim should not be able to "create problems". Everyone is saying "no problem with coach and player. Normal relationship, not perfect, but good". Everyone is saying "Pronger and Richie get along just fine". Everyone is saying "Richie is the captain, quiet and reserved, but well respected by team and organization".

Maybe Richie then should just kill it by silence rather than get worked up over it. Like they say..you know you are reaching your target sometimes by the amount of flak you receive.

Tim P obviously has his integrity issues but I don't mind him prodding. He should interview Richards to get the other side so he doesn't look like he's engaging in yellow journalism but like Zherdev who thinks Panaccio looks like he's from the Russian mafia...Richards wants no part of him.

This is all about taking things personal....I think it's best to read between the lines of the interviews and draw your own conclusions rather than pass judgement solely on some personal dislike for the guy or emotional reaction. Then again just human nature..not like Panaccio hasn't irritated me..but actually it's more when he does just tow the management line. Personally I like journalists who muckrake....not sure Panaccio epitomizes that but again I'm more interested in the actual quotes he gets not so much his slant which yeah nobody should take at face value. Just need critical thinking skills. What would irritate me more is if we only heard management's side only and didn't have the other side to challenge the company line. Checks and balances...and personal critical thinking skills help your separate the wheat from the chaff...

Old
05-10-2011, 03:18 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Maybe Richie then should just kill it by silence rather than get worked up over it. Like they say..you know you are reaching your target sometimes by the amount of flak you receive.

Tim P obviously has his integrity issues but I don't mind him prodding. He should interview Richards to get the other side so he doesn't look like he's engaging in yellow journalism but like Zherdev who thinks Panaccio looks like he's from the Russian mafia...Richards wants no part of him.

This is all about taking things personal....I think it's best to read between the lines of the interviews and draw your own conclusions rather than pass judgement solely on some personal dislike for the guy or emotional reaction. Then again just human nature..not like Panaccio hasn't irritated me..but actually it's more when he does just tow the management line. Personally I like journalists who muckrake....not sure Panaccio epitomizes that but again I'm more interested in the actual quotes he gets not so much his slant which yeah nobody should take at face value. Just need critical thinking skills. What would irritate me more is if we only heard management's side only and didn't have the other side to challenge the company line. Checks and balances...and personal critical thinking skills help your separate the wheat from the chaff...
If Timmeh is allowed to stir the pot, Richards, even as the Flyers Captain, has every right to ignore him completely.

Pronger does, and he flat out insults Timmeh. It's hilarious.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 03:23 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
If Timmeh is allowed to stir the pot, Richards, even as the Flyers Captain, has every right to ignore him completely.

Pronger does, and he flat out insults Timmeh. It's hilarious.
He has a right but he still learning to handle the media a bit more diplomatically. Pronger to me may be funny but he does come off like too much of an ahole sometimes..I think he is far too extreme. Personally, I like Timonen's approach the best b/c he just tells it like it is....

Old
05-10-2011, 03:27 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
He has a right but he still learning to handle the media a bit more diplomatically. Pronger to me may be funny but he does come off like too much of an ahole sometimes..I think he is far too extreme. Personally, I like Timonen's approach the best b/c he just tells it like it is....
I like Pronger's approach personally. It's more entertaining.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 03:32 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I like Pronger's approach personally. It's more entertaining.

Ahh so you like to be entertained..then you should have no problem with Panaccio ..especially in his dealings with Pronger and Richards

I like cutting through the BS and 3rd grade stuff and hearing somebody like Timonen being amenable to the press and just speaking his mind with no axe to grind...

Old
05-10-2011, 05:52 PM
MsWoof

What Richards did today was absolutely brilliant. Panaccio has been getting it from Pronger for over a year now but Twitter is a whole new realm. The media feel like they'll always have the last word and can say what they want. Guys with twitter can change that. This should make those clowns more accountable and from now on, every word TIM writes is going to be scrutinized because he's been called a liar, for all intents and purposes. If he takes a shot at Richards or speculates but acts like it's fact, people are going to comment on his blog or write to his twitter feed. It's great, it keeps him honest and should wake up the rest of the Philly media, too.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 10:50 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The supposed division of the lockerroom between the Pronger followers and the Richards followers was also highly touted by the media when things weren't going right last season. Then it disappeared.

This is what they (the media) do. Instead of trying to find valid reasons why the team struggled, they decide to go the sensational, dramatic route.

I don't trust it in the least.
Your head is in the sand if you really believe that locker room isn't divided between old guys/young guys, Pronger followers/Richards followers, or whatever you want to call it.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Your head is in the sand if you really believe that locker room isn't divided between old guys/young guys, Pronger followers/Richards followers, or whatever you want to call it.
Why exactly should I believe that? I'm not on the team. I have no idea. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Nobody here, and really, nobody in the media truly knows. All they or we can do is speculate.

edit: I find it terribly convenient that the media only speculates on this stuff when they're losing. It's like they're too lazy to do in-depth analysis about what might be troubling the team, and instead just begins proclaiming that there's tons of locker room drama and infighting, everyone hates everyone else, everyone is defiling everyone else's wife, etc, etc. Why do real sports writing when you can just spew some speculation about Real World style drama? It's sad that DCs coverage of the Caps is better than this sort of crap.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-10-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

I have nothing against the "media" as people are putting it, I'm actually studying to become a member of it (was covering Flyers practice last week). But people like Tim Pannacio just give everyone a bad name. They poke around for stories that are not there, ask questions that lead players and coaches to say things they can manipulate into a story they already had in their head before they set foot in the lockeroom. Good for Richie for speaking out and at least getting his side of the story out there.

People act like feuds between Players and media are a new things. They've happened in every sport, since press were allowed in the lockerrooms. What makes it so prevalent now is:

A) there's never been so much coverage of teams from so many different outlets both local and nation
B) Up until now, players had no way of responding openly to the media. With Twitter, players can vent their anger openly

Also, most members of the media have the class to try and put their personal views aside and look at players without bias. Timmy clearly has let his feelings towards certain players effect how he covers the team. IMO, he is using his articles to further his own agenda.

Quote:
Yeah... Its not.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:19 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Did ya read Briere's (old guy) comments today about Richards? Seems he thinks very highly of him.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:19 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
So the Bruins came out and called Bergerons concussion an "upper body injury?"

FAIL

They called it what it was, a concussion.

Every team DOESN'T do the exact same thing.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Did ya read Briere's (old guy) comments today about Richards? Seems he thinks very highly of him.
That guy also invited one of those young whippersnappers to live with him and his family.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:26 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
What Richards did today was absolutely brilliant. Panaccio has been getting it from Pronger for over a year now but Twitter is a whole new realm. The media feel like they'll always have the last word and can say what they want. Guys with twitter can change that. This should make those clowns more accountable and from now on, every word TIM writes is going to be scrutinized because he's been called a liar, for all intents and purposes. If he takes a shot at Richards or speculates but acts like it's fact, people are going to comment on his blog or write to his twitter feed. It's great, it keeps him honest and should wake up the rest of the Philly media, too.
Craig Carton was called a liar too with his reporting on the Lindros hangover incident. Too bad it took four years for Clarke to admit it was TRUE, and six years for Uncle Ed to do the same.......

Old
05-10-2011, 11:36 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
I have nothing against the "media" as people are putting it, I'm actually studying to become a member of it (was covering Flyers practice last week). But people like Tim Pannacio just give everyone a bad name. They poke around for stories that are not there, ask questions that lead players and coaches to say things they can manipulate into a story they already had in their head before they set foot in the lockeroom. Good for Richie for speaking out and at least getting his side of the story out there.

People act like feuds between Players and media are a new things. They've happened in every sport, since press were allowed in the lockerrooms. What makes it so prevalent now is:

A) there's never been so much coverage of teams from so many different outlets both local and nation
B) Up until now, players had no way of responding openly to the media. With Twitter, players can vent their anger openly

Also, most members of the media have the class to try and put their personal views aside and look at players without bias. Timmy clearly has let his feelings towards certain players effect how he covers the team. IMO, he is using his articles to further his own agenda.

Yeah... Its not.
Well if you've "covered" the Flyers like you claim, you wouldn't even be questioning the locker room rift. We've only known about it for a year and a half now.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
So the Bruins came out and called Bergerons concussion an "upper body injury?"

FAIL

They called it what it was, a concussion.

Every team DOESN'T do the exact same thing.
So are you saying that the Flyers are one of the only teams to be vague on injuries?

Old
05-10-2011, 11:53 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
So are you saying that the Flyers are one of the only teams to be vague on injuries?
I guess you missed the post I quoted in mine. I'll put in in this post so you don't have to go back and read it again. See below.

Quote:

What I was saying was that not EVERY TEAM does the exact same thing. The Bruins are only one example. Understand now?