HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laviolette still building trust with captain Richards

Old
05-11-2011, 12:58 AM
Ghost of Downie*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
I guess you missed the post I quoted in mine. I'll put in in this post so you don't have to go back and read it again. See below.

What I was saying was that not EVERY TEAM does the exact same thing. The Bruins are only one example. Understand now?
Oh ok, sorry, I should've said a VAST MAJORITY of teams do this. Is that better? Or should I term it some other way?

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:58 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Your head is in the sand if you really believe that locker room isn't divided between old guys/young guys, Pronger followers/Richards followers, or whatever you want to call it.
This is true.

You basically have the guys whose clocks are ticking and want to work at it and those guys for whom an AHL championship is enough.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:59 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
This is true.

You basically have the guys whose clocks are ticking and want to work at it and those guys for whom an AHL championship is enough.
Link?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 08:06 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
People dont mind just and fair criticism....
Heck, there are people here who will go so far as to claim that Jeff Carter is "one of the best backcheckers in the game".

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-11-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Trolling.
Old
05-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Gibbs18

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...-mike-richards

Richards and Lavi say that article was a bunch of ****. lol

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 08:12 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Heck, there are people here who will go so far as to claim that Jeff Carter is "one of the best backcheckers in the game".
Bullpoop. Team, yes, game, no. Thanks for coming out.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-11-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: cleanin up
MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:11 AM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
LMFAO

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-11-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Cleaning up.
35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
This is true.

As far as I can tell you're just some guy who watches the games just like us, right? So how the hell can you possibly claim to know that this is the dynamic in the locker room. That's not even the type of thing you can pick up from casual contact with the team.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:42 AM
lancer247

Quote:
Craig Carton was called a liar too with his reporting on the Lindros hangover incident. Too bad it took four years for Clarke to admit it was TRUE, and six years for Uncle Ed to do the same.......
WHAT???!!!!

Carton accused Lindros of missing games because he was hung over/drunk which was total BS.

Clarke and Snider admitted years later that there were issues with HIS PARENTS BEING HIS MANAGEMENT not that he really was a drunk. BIG DIFFERENCE!!

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:52 AM
lancer247

Quote:
This is true.

I love people like you that think they know what is going on in a players head or heart. What did you see a guy smile on the bench and decided he didn't care about losing? Or, you saw a picture of a player on the beach in the off season and decided he was working out enough to get ready for the season?

The lockerroom is full of young guys, old guys, single guys, married guys so of course their are groups but it doesn't mean they don't have a common goal.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:56 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs18 View Post
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...-mike-richards

Richards and Lavi say that article was a bunch of ****. lol
Well of course management would want to circle the wagons about any dirty laundry..duh!

Here is Meltzer's take..I agree that Richards' tweet as much as people liked it was not prudent and made the issue fair game...also grade school crap as I've said. Again not the end of the world as this stuff between player and coach is not exactly abnormal but it does need to be ironed out nonetheless. Everybody claiming it is a non-issue is being shortsighted...

Quote:
I have been asked by numerous readers for my opinion of Mike Richards' tweet about CSN Philly/HockeyBuzz writer Tim Panaccio. I do not like commenting on media stories, because I do not believe that particular players' or coaches' relations with the media members should be a story. This is a situation in which social media were used to air grievances, meaning that the parties involved made the situation fair game for public discourse.

From a reporting standpoint, I don't see where Panaccio was in the wrong here. He did not report anything on CSN Philly that had not been widely rumored -- and originated from people who would know and would not have a motive to make things up. People in the national media also had the same tip from the same source.

Also, it was WIP -- not Panaccio -- that went public first with the story about Richards not speaking to Laviolette, and Tim included Laviolette's refutation in his own article. There was nothing the least bit irresponsible about the way he reported the story. The only thing beyond straight reporting he added was his own opinion that Richards can be "moody and withdrawn", which is what Richards jumped on in his Twitter comment.

Regarding the rumor about Richards and Laviolette not speaking, I had heard the same thing second-hand during the Buffalo series, checked into it with a different source and heard that things were "strained" between the captain and coach. Precisely what was said to me was that the story about Richards not talking to Laviolette was "not exactly true" -- meaning they communicated as absolutely necessary between a coach and captain even if there wasn't a strong trusting bond.

Since the same exact thing could be said about a lot of players on the team, the real story here to me wasn't so much Laviolette vs. Richards as that Laviolette and the team leaders as a whole need to communicate better next season. Laviolette himself said that his relationship with Richards is something "we're working on".

I will also say this. Knowing the Flyers, I suspect that management is likely seething in private that Richards would choose to air this out on Twitter. Yesterday, Paul Holmgren, in a much more professional way, responded on behalf of the player and coach. Homer could not have been more direct in denying that there was some sort of Real Housewives of Philly sort of feud that only involved Richards and the coach.

This week, Kimmo Timonen has said that he has pointed things to tell Holmgren when they have their meeting, saying "we won't be having coffee and cake" or words to that effect. Yesterday, Homer acknowledged Timonen's frustrations with the handling of things late in the season and especially during the playoffs. It's not that the level-headed Timonen wants out (at least I would doubt it) and not that the situation cannot be bettered.

It's that a major opportunity to win the Stanley Cup this season was blown in spectacular fashion. The series with Boston should have been pretty evenly matched, with an edge to the Bruins because of their goaltending but the Flyers with a tad more scoring depth. Instead, the series was a slaughter.

The people who care the most -- and Timonen is definitely one of those people, as I'm sure is Richards -- are angry and want answers. So, too, do the GM and coach.

Guess what? There is room for common ground after all. The challenge now is to root out the problems as best as possible, mend some fences and move forward.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-Grit/45/35791

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:44 PM
FlyersMania2

Funny bc when I brought this up the ppl on this board accused me of speculating, etc... if its explained in this manner, it means it is actually worse/more negative (typical flyers fashion).

My issue is - who is Richards? He's not the best player in the whole league so who is he to have to "build trust" in a coach, especially one that is good and has won a cup. You don't even hear this stuff about Crosby and he is at least the best player in the league. Richards, clearly, can only thrive when he has control - which is why he clicked with Stevens. This is dumb and it ruins a team bc it forces them to play in conditions in which the captain and the coach dont see eye to eye. Be a real captain, suck it up and trust that the coach is a coach for a reason, and you are a player, and a young one at that. RIDICULOUS.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Ghost of Downie*

It's not like this is the first time Lavi and a captain haven't gotten along. IIRC a Cup came soon after that...

Old
05-11-2011, 01:02 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
It's not like this is the first time Lavi and a captain haven't gotten along. IIRC a Cup came soon after that...
Nor is it the first time Richards and a coach haven't gotten along...leadership isnt out-muscling your coach. His immaturity and inability to take criticism is pretty well into the spotlight now since his unnecessary tweet at Timmy P. A reporter doing his job...just like a coach trying to do his, is there some issue with Richards and criticism as well

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
And that is up to Richards to grow up, Brind'Amour took his lumps and came out better for it. Maybe Richie should sit with Brind'Amour to learn a lesson or two on how to act like a captain instead of sulking for being asked to grind out some bag sprints? Or telling the coaching staf via the media on how to run the PP. How about just executing what they tell you to do?

If Richards comes out fired up with a new attitude, yes. If he continues to be buddies with the core and not step back and realize he has a job to do it will be groundhog day all over again.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Nor is it the first time Richards and a coach haven't gotten along...leadership isnt out-muscling your coach. His immaturity and inability to take criticism is pretty well into the spotlight now since his unnecessary tweet at Timmy P. A reporter doing his job...just like a coach trying to do his, is there some issue with Richards and criticism as well
If you're talking about Hitchcock, there were more players than Richards that weren't getting along with him. You don't go 1-6-1 to start the year because one player doesn't like one coach.

Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
And that is up to Richards to grow up, Brind'Amour took his lumps and came out better for it. Maybe Richie should sit with Brind'Amour to learn a lesson or two on how to act like a captain instead of sulking for being asked to grind out some bag sprints? Or telling the coaching staf via the media on how to run the PP. How about just executing what they tell you to do?

If Richards comes out fired up with a new attitude, yes. If he continues to be buddies with the core and not step back and realize he has a job to do it will be groundhog day all over again.
You mean he'll lead the team to the Finals? Some people around here have the memory of a goldfish.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You mean he'll lead the team to the Finals? Some people around here have the memory of a goldfish.
Gee, I don't think he can step his game up enough to lead this team to within two games of a Cup.

Oh wait.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Gee, I don't think he can step his game up enough to lead this team to within two games of a Cup.

Oh wait.
He also wouldn't be able to step up his game to play on the best line of Team Canada on a gold medal winning team in the Olympics.

Oh wait.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
He also wouldn't be able to step up his game to play on the best line of Team Canada on a gold medal winning team in the Olympics.

Oh wait.
But let's be real, he's never been the captain to lead a team to a high profile championship. Or two for that matter.

Oh wait.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
But let's be real, he's never been the captain to lead a team to a high profile championship. Or two for that matter.

Oh wait.
Yeah, and he definitely is too selfish, shallow and petty to play a season with an injured wrist.

Oh wait.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Yeah, and he definitely is too selfish, shallow and petty to play a season with an injured wrist.

Oh wait.
But we just overrate him because he plays in Philadelphia. It's not like he's garnered more first place votes for a major trophy than the perennial recipient.

Oh wait.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:24 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

To be fair to Richards he isn't some bonehead about hockey and Lavi this year was boneheaded in a lot of ways so have to give Richards some slack in that regard. Just that yeah he needs to be more mature about it and not use the media as a conduit whether it's to rip his coach about the PP decisions or to then get hissy with the media when the message is directed against him. Works both ways. He especially should not air his differences with the media using twitter like Justin Bieber..seriously the guy needs to mature. Again I have no problems with the guy on the ice ..he's not my favorite off the ice and unfortunately off ice antics do reflect on the organization and the team so he has to temper them....

Look Holmgren last year said Richards still has to develop as a Captain.....he called him a "good" Captain not a great one...he's still learning but for the vets like Timonen that kind of stuff irritates them b/c they don't have much time hence why he vented with Holmgren

Again...this is not something that can't be mended. They just have to reassess the leadership roles. Richards never really wanted to be Captain anyway. I kind of understand where he's coming from on that but at the same time he has a responsibility to grow into his role a bit more. If he cant handle it and it's best for the chemistry of the team they maybe should take the pressure off him (remove the C) and let him be Richards on the ice..one of the best two way players in the league. Nobody can take that away from him but yes he's open to criticism in the other aspects especially given this latest situation which again is an issue no matter how many people try to deny it.

This team has had locker room problems before...winning mends it for a while but then when people stray and losing and inconsistency creep in ..that's when it snowballs. Best check this now otherwise yeah Lavi is toast and maybe some of it will be warranted but if you think Richards is catching heat now wait until Lavi is possibly canned b/c not everybody is on the same page as him. This incident will be nothing.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
But we just overrate him because he plays in Philadelphia. It's not like he's garnered more first place votes for a major trophy than the perennial recipient.

Oh wait.
Yeah. It'd be good to trade him. He surely doesn't have anybody's respect, and it's not like everybody who has played with him or coached him has nothing but glowing praise.

Oh wait.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:28 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
And that is up to Richards to grow up, Brind'Amour took his lumps and came out better for it. Maybe Richie should sit with Brind'Amour to learn a lesson or two on how to act like a captain instead of sulking for being asked to grind out some bag sprints?
Or maybe Brind'Amour could sit and listen to Richards explain leadership to him. Them maybe Rod could win a Cup.

Oh wait.