HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jaromir Jagr

View Poll Results: Do you think Jaromir will be back with the NYR (after retiring) in some capacity?
Yes, as a representative of the organization 11 8.66%
Yes, as a guest at special Ranger events 57 44.88%
No, Sather has permanently burned that bridge 68 53.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-10-2011, 11:42 PM
hockeyman001

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
You guys think Gaborik without an elite center is a problem? Jagr at this stage would be 1000 times worse.
Jagr is a playmaker and just needs linemates who can cycle with him and play physical to take some of the defensive pressure off him.

Gaborik is a finisher who needs players to set him up on breakaways, or at least get him the puck in a shooting position in scoring areas of the offensive zone. He is not a puck carrier nor is he an effective cycler/grinder.

Apples and oranges.

I still don't think Jagr's coming back, but if he surprises and is willing to take the money that people are suggesting we throw at Gagne (or even that and a little more), then I say hell yeah we'll take Jagr back. But I'd split him up from Gaborik, makes more sense to have those guys on two separate lines and only sniff the ice at the same time on 5-on-3's.

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:19 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman001 View Post
I still hold to my 60 point prediction if he were to comeback and my reasons are this (and they have nothing to do with KHL stats since as we all know the case of Marcel Hossa proves them pointless):

1) he's older. he needs more recovery time. he can't play 25 minutes a night consistently in an NHL schedule anymore, that's just not smart. less minutes = less points

2) he'd still be a dominant player but a lot of dominant players are not PPG players. Marian Hossa is a dominant player in the same mold as Jagr (puck possession, good balance, great wrist shot, big but not overly physical, and a magical passer/stickhandler), but he rarely is a PPG player...Hossa hasn't been PPG since the last time Jagr was PPG in the NHL as a matter of fact...2006-07.

3) his last season in the NHL, he was a 70 point player. OK that was under Tom Renney and playing with poor linemates but it was also 3 seasons ago and Jagr's skills are bound to have declined proportionally with age. I bet he could still dangle and look like his old self, but I just don't see the results being there night in and night out if he were to come back. So still holding to 60-65 points.
Does Teemu "Mr Knee surgery after surgery" Selanne ring a bell?

Selanne is a year older than Jagr and had 80 Pts in 73 games to finish 8th in scoring. Over an 82 game schedule that's 90 Pts. Let's not forget that before Selanne's PPG seaon in 2010-11, he had 3 sub-par, injury ladden seasons in which he had only 125 Pts in 145 game (2007-08, 2008-09 and 2009-10). Jagr is healthy.

Selanne is a great player but Jagr is on level above him and I think people don't realize really how dominant Jagr was and how much of a physical freak he was.

Jagr is stronger, bigger, more skilled than Selanne.

Last edited by livewell68: 05-11-2011 at 09:29 AM.
livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:24 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

We are not the only guys who think about getting him back

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:52 AM
NYRCC

JJ was my favorite player for a long time.
that said, the boat has sailed. he's not coming back to the nyr in any capacity.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:24 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Jagr is still an NHL/NHL elite talent. No question about it.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Jagr is still an NHL/NHL elite talent. No question about it.
No question in my mind that he can still be an elite talent in the NHL. I'm not about to put limits on the production of a motivated Jagr, if he decided to come back.

1. He's not that old.
2. He's been relatively healthy his entire career.
3. He's a physical beast of a player and his game is not/has not been entirely based around speed...though I think he still has a good amount left.
4. If there's ever an example of a player that's young at heart, it's Jagr.
5. 4 years of his career have now been spent playing overseas. Being away from the rigors of the NHL for that time has to mean something in preserving a player.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:56 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

If the contract were reasonable and short, I'd take him back in second and I don't give a crap about the "youth movement". We need to score some goals.

Old
05-11-2011, 10:12 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Jagr, again, for anyone who has doubts. Basically, team USA is an NHL squad.

Old
05-11-2011, 10:57 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
that is debatable...derek stepan is the highest scoring forward on the team in the nhl last year. its not exactly a usa superteam

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:58 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
If the contract were reasonable and short, I'd take him back in second and I don't give a crap about the "youth movement". We need to score some goals.
and it doesn't really hurt the 'youth movement' if jagr came in and help stepan and maybe mza become better players playing on a line with them

Old
05-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
and it doesn't really hurt the 'youth movement' if jagr came in and help stepan and maybe mza become better players playing on a line with them
Funny, our management thought he was not a good mentor and went with Drury, Gomez and Redden instead.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:34 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Prospal - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Avery/Hagelin - Stepan - Jagr
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

That's top 5 seed cup contender.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:53 AM
NHLsnipers

Jagr just dominated Team USA with a hatty to send the Czech's to the Semi's. I want him back.

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:58 AM
OverTheCap

Obviously signing Gomez was a massive blunder for a variety of reasons, but the fact that Gomez was supposedly brought in to set up Jagr so he could score more goals was just poor judgment on Sather's part. At that point in his career, Jagr was starting to rely more on his playmaking ability than scoring goals. Jagr didn't need a playmaker on his line because he WAS the playmaker (and a far superior one to Gomez at that).. he would have been better served playing with a center like Drury or a scoring winger that could finish his passes.

If Jagr had been on the Rangers the past few seasons, he would have been our best playmaker by far. His vision and ability to anticipate the play is so much better than anyone on our team currently. And he would still be able to dominate and take over games from time to time like he did today. He's really an extraordinary talent.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
A really crappy NHL squad, maybe.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:44 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Even crappy NHL squads have enough talent to make it hard on a player to score.

It's not like Ovechkin is scoring hattricks at the World Championships.

We all know Ovechkin is a top 5 talent in the NHL.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Anyone have video of Jagr's goals? thanks

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 02:21 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Prospal - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Avery/Hagelin - Stepan - Jagr
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

That's top 5 seed cup contender.
As I posted elsewhere Richards will not sign in here. Coach is a problem. Disciplinarians are tolerated by young players that hope to get somewhere. Richards was that guy back in TB. Once the player is looking for the last big contract of his career as well established performer, last thing he wants to be kicked around, benched or sat by someone like Torts when season is not unfolding as expected. That's Richards. Jagr is absolutely out of question. No way.

Last edited by 94now: 05-11-2011 at 02:27 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 02:27 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
As posted elsewhere Richards will not sign in here. Coach is a problem. Disciplinarians are tolerated by young players that hope to get somewhere. Richards was that guy back in TB. Once the player is looking for the last big contract of his career as well established performer, last thing he wants to be kicked around, benched or sat by someone like Torts when season is not unfolding as expected. That's Richards. Jagr is absolutely out of question. No way.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-york-rangers/

Sorry, but your criticism of Sather not signing Jagr to a 35+ contract of 30+ million dollars is off the mark and so is your ASSumption that Richards wouldn't want to play for Tortorella.

Money might be an/the issue for Richards and the NYR. It won't be an issue where Richards doesn't want to play for Tortorella. Nothing I've read anywhere insinuates that Richards has any problems with JT.

"The main target of the Rangers’ come July 1, will be centerman, Brad Richards. Richards will be the most sought-after free agent of the off-season, as the top-line pivot has yet to pick a certain destination of his liking. Richards has hinted that he would like to play in New York as a Ranger, and the organization has a lot of bait to bring the 30-year-old to Broadway. Coach John Tortorella is one of the main attractions for Richards, as Tortorella coached Brad when he was just beginning his NHL career in Tampa Bay—where the two won a Stanley Cup in 2003-04."

Old
05-11-2011, 02:48 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
As I posted elsewhere Richards will not sign in here. Coach is a problem. Disciplinarians are tolerated by young players that hope to get somewhere. Richards was that guy back in TB. Once the player is looking for the last big contract of his career as well established performer, last thing he wants to be kicked around, benched or sat by someone like Torts when season is not unfolding as expected. That's Richards. Jagr is absolutely out of question. No way.
you are joking right? Richards LOVES torts...in fact the #1 reason torts' job was never in risk was probably because he is the #1 reason we have a chance to sign richards.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:49 PM
94now

Quote:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-york-rangers/

Sorry, but your criticism of Sather not signing Jagr to a 35+ contract of 30+ million dollars is off the mark and so is your ASSumption that Richards wouldn't want to play for Tortorella.

Money might be an/the issue for Richards and the NYR. It won't be an issue where Richards doesn't want to play for Tortorella. Nothing I've read anywhere insinuates that Richards has any problems with JT.

"The main target of the Rangers’ come July 1, will be centerman, Brad Richards. Richards will be the most sought-after free agent of the off-season, as the top-line pivot has yet to pick a certain destination of his liking. Richards has hinted that he would like to play in New York as a Ranger, and the organization has a lot of bait to bring the 30-year-old to Broadway. Coach John Tortorella is one of the main attractions for Richards, as Tortorella coached Brad when he was just beginning his NHL career in Tampa Bay—where the two won a Stanley Cup in 2003-04."
I know better than the author of that article. You have just two months before starting eat the crows. Or I do. We'll see.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Bring in another '11 version of Gaborik!

Seriously, I'd bring him back for one year and one year only. My ship hasn't sailed yet. lol

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 03:07 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
you are joking right? Richards LOVES torts...in fact the #1 reason torts' job was never in risk was probably because he is the #1 reason we have a chance to sign richards.
I am not joking. He will pass. Rangers will say he would want too much. Old scheme. Only the players who want to stay in NHL at any cost (like Prospal or Feds, for instance) would put up with JT.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I am not joking. He will pass. Rangers will say he would want too much. Old scheme. Only the players who want to stay in NHL at any cost (like Prospal or Feds, for instance) would put up with JT.
I think you've only hit on half of the problem. On the flip side, Tampa has a young promising coach that has all his team singing praises upon, right now, late in the season, including Vinny who loves playing for him.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 03:30 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I think you've only hit on half of the problem. On the flip side, Tampa has a young promising coach that has all his team singing praises upon, right now, late in the season, including Vinny who loves playing for him.
Except that's the ONLY problem regarding coaching. Some of you overstate how many people dislike Torts. It's, frankly, ****ing ridiculous.

I guess coaches should just be sunshine and rainbows, nevermind the fact Torts has been great with the players this year.

Continue thinking Richards won't sign here because he doesn't want to get his feelings hurt .

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote