HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin close to signing 1-year deal with Habs

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
1. Hejda isn't automatically coming to Montreal.

2. Hamrlik at 2 mil would save dough for a top six forward.

3. Hamrlik knows JM's system.

4. Hamrlik scored more points and blocked more shots. LOL
Good points, and maybe Brendan Nash replaces the big, left-handed Dman in our lineup in 2 years, but If we're drawing up a defence we'd like to see, I'd rather see Hejda.

For point 4, Hamrlik is way ahead of anyone else for blocked shots among UFA defencemen and he played way too many minutes this season but he just looked old and slow in the playoffs. It doesn't look like he has another good year left in him, and I'm not sure he'd sign for 2 million either.

Hejda has more hits and less PIM, is 5 years younger also. Oh and he has a perfect face-off %

Old
05-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Stephaaane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
great news...

i hope the habs re-sign Hamrlik and use him with Emelin on the 3rd pairing.

Markov- Subban
Gorges- Wiz
Hamrlik- Emelin
Weber

all we need to do now is dump spacek
Who do you put on your pk units?

I don't think this D-corp is good enough defensively

Depending how Emelin will be doing, if he comes, this is the way I see it

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Gill-Weber
Carle/Spacek

Play Gill with the minutes he's suppose to play, 14-15 min max on the first pk unit and will see a better Gill. So we can have another year with awesome pk.

This would allow us to get another Powerforward upfront

Old
05-11-2011, 11:07 AM
HomaridII

More tweets:

renhockey renaud lavoie
Don Meehan said that talks for Alexander Yemelin contract should start next week.

Old
05-11-2011, 11:08 AM
FrankMTL

The issue I have with Hamrlik is obviously age. I wouldn't sign him for more than 1 year..maybe 2 at the MAX. 1 year 3.5 million or 2 years 5.5 million. At that age, they're liable to get hurt more and their level of play can drop very quickly. But besides that, he had a great year.

Old
05-11-2011, 11:10 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Markov - Wiz
Gorges - Subban
Emelin - Weber

I could live with that without re-signing anyone at all.

Old
05-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Bieber fever

IMO he's gonna take weber's spot...

Markov-subban
Gorges-wiz
Spacek -emelin

Old
05-11-2011, 11:15 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Good points, and maybe Brendan Nash replaces the big, left-handed Dman in our lineup in 2 years, but If we're drawing up a defence we'd like to see, I'd rather see Hejda.

For point 4, Hamrlik is way ahead of anyone else for blocked shots among UFA defencemen and he played way too many minutes this season but he just looked old and slow in the playoffs. It doesn't look like he has another good year left in him, and I'm not sure he'd sign for 2 million either.

Hejda has more hits and less PIM, is 5 years younger also. Oh and he has a perfect face-off %
LOL at the bold.

He looked old and slow because he's been filling in for Markov. I'd expect Hamrlik would be playing as a 4th or 5th d-man chewing up ES minutes while lending some offence. He'd be fine in that role and a safety net for injuries.

I understand the age factor but he's held up remarkably well for the workload he's carried for not just one year but the two years previous with all of the D injuries.

Hejda signs elsewhere and so does Hamrlik then what's plan C? Overpay for another disappointment like Spacek?

Old
05-11-2011, 11:16 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Markov - Wiz
Gorges - Subban
Emelin - Weber

50% of the players you listed would need to be re-signed though....

Old
05-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Ginu

The question is, if we sign Yemelin to an ELC, we'll have 4 defensemen under very reasonable contracts next season (Yemelin ~ $2.5m, Subban $0.875m, Gill ~ $2m and Gorges ~ $2.5m). Does that leave space to keep both Markov, Wisniewski and Spacek? That's under $22m on your D-core assuming Yemelin's contract is $2.5m including bonuses. That'll leave over $40m for the forwards and goaltenders.

Old
05-11-2011, 11:20 AM
David_99

Between Subban and Yemelin we'll definitely need Gill back for killing penalties.

But seriously, if only we can somehow get rid of Spacek and keep both Markov and the Wiz...

Old
05-11-2011, 11:25 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
The question is, if we sign Yemelin to an ELC, we'll have 4 defensemen under very reasonable contracts next season (Yemelin ~ $2.5m, Subban $0.875m, Gill ~ $2m and Gorges ~ $2.5m). Does that leave space to keep both Markov, Wisniewski and Spacek? That's under $22m on your D-core assuming Yemelin's contract is $2.5m including bonuses. That'll leave over $40m for the forwards and goaltenders.
Are you just assuming Gill will be signed to this amount?

Old
05-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Markov - Wiz
Gorges - Subban
Emelin - Weber

Right on!..except for Gorges, Wiz and Markov...

Although, I would opt for Ehrhoff over Wiz.

Old
05-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
This spells the end of Hamrlik. Thanks for all of our years of service
And some of the darkest days in Habs history. Thank You Roman!!

Old
05-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Will there still be a bonus cushion for the cap next season? I recall something that suggested there wouldn't but I'm not really sure.

Old
05-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Between Subban and Yemelin we'll definitely need Gill back for killing penalties.

But seriously, if only we can somehow get rid of Spacek and keep both Markov and the Wiz...
I don't know why but I really never liked Hall Gill until we signed him, I have a hard time letting him go especially considering the guy is a good teammate and has great chemistry with Gorges. Tough one

Old
05-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

I believe Bobby Mac can't wait to see what he can do next year.

He wear 74 so all of you who have a Sergei jersey can change the name plate next year

Old
05-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
People need to understand that Wisniewski is going to want length on his deal. Yes, you can fit him for 2011-12 under a possible 62 M cap, but what about 2012-13? What if the new CBA changes the way the cap is calculated and it goes down?

Even if it doesn't...

Price and Subban are going to be signed long-term and for a ton of money starting in 2012-13. They are the franchise cornerstones. They are the faces of the franchise. They are priorities. They could easily combine for 10 M on the cap.

Pacioretty is also going to get quite a bit of money at some point if he does for a full season what he was doing before the injury. And we are all hoping for him to return to that level because we need him to be a top 6 PF so badly. If he signs a 1 year deal this summer, you can expect him to be a 3 M cap hit for 2012-13.

Then there's Eller and Weber as well, who could breakout in 2011-12. They showed their strong upsides at various points this past season. And Emelin will need a new contract too as this one will be a 1 year deal AND he will only be a year away from UFA status next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Will there still be a bonus cushion for the cap next season? I recall something that suggested there wouldn't but I'm not really sure.
No bonus cushion as it is the last year of the CBA. Only affects us with Eller.

Old
05-11-2011, 11:35 AM
ThaDevilGirl

I'll believe it when I'll see an official statement from the Habs organization. For now, he is not coming over.

Old
05-11-2011, 11:36 AM
neofury*

Yeah I still find it quite comical that people keep posting our line up with sometimes even a #7d with Spacek no where to be found.

I understand it's just one season at 3.8 million but it isn't 2012-13 just yet guys. Plus nobody will take Spacek even for free or on waivers even more doubtful, and he can't be bought out.

Quite hilarious that the same people keep pretending the guy doesn't exist or something with no explanation as to why he isn't in the line up.

At this point if Emelin comes it isn't even a question of if we can fit Wiz into the cap instead of a top 6 forward or vice versa. Spacek is eating 3.8 million of the cap away and Wiz will want at least 4.5 million. Wiz is as good as gone the minute Markov/Emelin are signed.

I'm starting to think this is a very risky move that could pay off ten fold. Meaning we don't sign Wiz, he gets 5m per else where, he's happy, habs are happy they didn't pay that even though he'll be missed, but we still have Weber developing into a potential Streit anyways and Emelin now who adds to our D for cheap.

This is what would allow us to sign a top 6 forward but again, Spacek's contract will either make that harder to do or a different D we want will have to not be signed this way Spacek has a spot.

Our best bet is Emelin because he won't cost what Wiz will cost, even though I'd love to keep Wiz it just doesn't make sense:

Subban, Spacek, already under contract
Markov/Wiz (doubtful they choose Wiz over Markov)
Gill, Hammer, one of the two likely to come back
Gorges, Weber, RFA who is likely coming back

Right there that's 8 D, below there are two who are for sure not coming back. My guess is that Markov/Gill are the two they choose to keep and Hammer and Wiz are the ones they let go. Gill I'm almost positive about, Markov/Wiz depends on negotiations imo. So that leaves you with: Markov, Subban, Spacek, Gill, Gorges, Emelin, Weber, I think this seems like the most realistic option.

Mara/Sopel gone imo. Very slim chance Sopel gets taken as a depth guy. He'd rather not be a #7-8, maybe if Emelin falls through though.

So that being said:

Markov, Weber (add offense, hm of course to Subban)
Subban, Emelin (add physical)
Gorges, Gill (add shutdown)
Spacek (hated on here but better than the board leads on, still, a complete waste of cap space and no defined role on the team.)

I just don't see how with any other line up we could afford a top 6 winger, especially with Spacek eating up cap and very little probability of him being moved

Dump Spacek, you can grab Wiz and a top 6 forward. Keep Spacek, it comes down to Wiz vs Top 6 winger. I think we all know, that means Wiz is as good as gone.

Old
05-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
If Gauthier can get this done, I'll gain a new respect for him. To the point that I'll have some hope Trunev might come over one day too.
I'd settle for Korneev too.

Old
05-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Yes he's getting older. I can see him taking a 1 year $2m deal.

Old
05-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
LOL at the bold.

He looked old and slow because he's been filling in for Markov. I'd expect Hamrlik would be playing as a 4th or 5th d-man chewing up ES minutes while lending some offence. He'd be fine in that role and a safety net for injuries.

I understand the age factor but he's held up remarkably well for the workload he's carried for not just one year but the two years previous with all of the D injuries.

Hejda signs elsewhere and so does Hamrlik then what's plan C? Overpay for another disappointment like Spacek?
Then we're left with a hole in our lineup missing a big guy who can clear the front of the net(unless we re-sign Gill), but I don't think our D would look horrible.

Old
05-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Well he signed at 2.250 for 2 years so it should be around that 2 million IMO as well

Old
05-11-2011, 11:43 AM
7th Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
People need to understand that Wisniewski is going to want length on his deal. Yes, you can fit him for 2011-12 under a possible 62 M cap, but what about 2012-13? What if the new CBA changes the way the cap is calculated and it goes down?

Even if it doesn't...

Price and Subban are going to be signed long-term and for a ton of money starting in 2012-13. They are the franchise cornerstones. They are the faces of the franchise. They are priorities. They could easily combine for 10 M on the cap.

Pacioretty is also going to get quite a bit of money at some point if he does for a full season what he was doing before the injury. And we are all hoping for him to return to that level because we need him to be a top 6 PF so badly. If he signs a 1 year deal this summer, you can expect him to be a 3 M cap hit for 2012-13.

Then there's Eller and Weber as well, who could breakout in 2011-12. They showed their strong upsides at various points this past season. And Emelin will need a new contract too as this one will be a 1 year deal AND he will only be a year away from UFA status next summer.

No bonus cushion as it is the last year of the CBA. Only affects us with Eller.

What you say is true but I bolded the most important part.

There is uncertainty regarding the next CBA and teams are taking advantage of this. Elliotte Friedman mentioned this. Apparently, owners might decide on a buyback for certain contracts that teams want to get rid of (i.e. Gomez).

We can fit Wiz next year for sure, then things can go either way with the CBA.

Also regarding Price and Subban. Yes they are corner stones and yes they should be signed long term. But when was the last time the Habs signed 22 and 24 y.o to long year contracts?
Imo, they will sign them to 2-3 year deals each which shouldn't bring the cap hit that high.

Old
05-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Player View Post
What you say is true but I bolded the most important part.

There is uncertainty regarding the next CBA and teams are taking advantage of this. Elliotte Friedman mentioned this. Apparently, owners might decide on a buyback for certain contracts that teams want to get rid of (i.e. Gomez).

We can fit Wiz next year for sure, then things can go either way with the CBA.

Also regarding Price and Subban. Yes they are corner stones and yes they should be signed long term. But when was the last time the Habs signed 22 and 24 y.o to long year contracts?
Imo, they will sign them to 2-3 year deals each which shouldn't bring the cap hit that high.
Maybe Gauthier wants to sign key players to long term deals unlike Gainey. Though AK got a 3 year deal after his breakout season.

Closed Thread