HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

im done with this team if we lose in 7

Old
05-11-2011, 09:17 AM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

vCash: 608
Here's hoping you guys pull it off in game 7

AMDZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Phu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
Bruins fan here...

I'll tell you how this will go for you guys if you lose game 7.

1) Hfboards and Detroit fans in general will troll you really hard for several weeks
2) Next year any time you make any reference to a choke of any kind, people will remind you of yours

Then a bit of time will pass, and that will decrease a little

3) You'll make the playoffs again, and life will go on. But during the playoffs the announcers will constantly remind you of the choke via clips and such.

It's annoying for probably 2 years I'd guess. If you eliminate the Wings next year, it could speed that up.

The first 2 months after really suck though. That was hellish.
Ironically, it happening last year means that if it happens again this year, the question will be whether it's a rare choke or a new trend. That makes 3 series where a team has rallied from 0-3 to at least tie in the last 2 years alone.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:40 AM
MtlPenFan

I'll be praying for your team on Thursday, and I never pray for anything.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:15 AM
5H4RK5

win or lose you can always build your dream team on NHL11. You can get a ton of puck movers and elite defensmen on every line.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:15 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
After reading all the pages and shaking my head at some of them here is my story (ha ha)

Been a Sharks fan since I found out about the inception of them so yes the last 20 years. For the last 15 I've been living in Orange County like a few of you and have been donning Shark jerseys at the both King and Duck games everytime the Sharks roll into town. We have also found a good fanbase down here as well and seems to keep growing each year!

I will always be a fan no matter what. I've been negative of this team the whole year! I've even traveled to Boston and DC to watch them play. Was surprised they won both times but was happy they did.

You always have the choker label until the day comes where SJ raises the dang cup!

It took the Giants 54 years for another title (not sure I can wait that long). Sharks have been at it for 20. The LA Kings have been at it for 47 years. The Canucks have been at it for 40. The point is the time will come (hopefully sooner than later). But no matter what yell, taunt, call us chokers if you will or the fact that you were the first California team to win a cup, I don't care. I will always support my team and be frustrated with them till no end until the right formula is found!

As far as if we lose tomorrow I'll still watch the playoffs but I'll be doing other things in the background. I'd like to say go East but even that leaves a weird taste in my mouth.

No Retreat! No Surrender Sharks and Shark Fans!

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Flik
Canucks fan for life

You guys have such a likable team, and a great fanbase. So even though I'm actually a fan of the Red Wings too, I'm going to be cheering hard for you guys on Thursday.

This fanbase has been kicked around enough, and as a Canucks fan I can relate all too well. Go Sharks!

Win, and let the battle of the West be waged in Vancouver and San Jose! Keep the faith, no matter how hard it may be!

Flik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Markus
Registered Lurker

Morning all! Head's a little clearer now which means, of course, I feel like a damn idiot. Okay, going back to lurk mode.

Markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:49 AM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

Jumping ship just isn't an option for me. Been here too long to just up and quit. But I think Markus put it best. Is it really worth the strain? I could definitely see myself taking it down a notch with the support though. Maybe not obsessively make sure to catch every game. Maybe not spend all day reading HFboards. That's the stuff that gets your blood boiling.

sharksohnoes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:56 AM
eastbayjoker

You're not REALLY looking at this as a financial investment, are you? Emotional investment? I totally get that.

You'd be better off watching the Senior A league at Logitech for free.

eastbayjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:59 AM
D1az

Anyone here who's been a diehard fan of the Sharks since '91?

D1az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:02 AM
AzNightmare

Come on guys, don't write this team off just yet.
There's one more game left to go.

I've been a Canucks fans for 17 years and I was ready to write them off
this season... and I was one goal away from just doing that.
Canucks still managed to win game 7 in OT.

You guys can do it too

AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:09 AM
DintedGarageDoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCShark View Post
i think we will win i really do but im done if we lose. long story short after being a sharks fan for around 9 years you gotta realize a bad investment when youve made one. choking for the last 5 years is more than a sign that this core cant do it, another big game and the big boys dont show up. same ol blah blah crap coach who cant adjust, offensive stars disappear in big games, late game collapses always losing in the same fashion.
8 years if you count the lockout....it's never as bad as it seems.

DintedGarageDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:19 AM
KzooShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1az View Post
92-93 for me. Wasn't into hockey until that year.

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Legion
Lord of Winterfell

Like Brokeback style, I can't ever quit this team.

I don't know, maybe I like the abuse... the worst, the absolute worst thing about being a Sharks fan is all the inherent pessimism with regards to expectations. Sometimes it's just true, which is why yesterday I just replied to everyone I knew: "It is what it is", such a horrible cliche.

But I know there will be that day where it was all worth it, when all the pessimists look at the guy who took the abuse and said "man you gotta be happy about that cup!" - and even then I don't think they'll exactly know.

My first game was when I was 8 in their inaugural year across the bay, and I grew up with this team. My first hockey memories were of the old guard, and now I punch my couch constantly with the new guard. I've puked on the streets of San Pedro and Santa Clara (from nerves and booze), and I've went with random strangers dishing out deals on single tickets to games. I've taken my girlfriends, best friends, parents to their first games. The team is a lot more than just a cup to me.

In the end the only thing leaving me truly dissatisfied with this season is if we don't go out with a bang in game 7. Losing after being up 3-0 would be heartbreaking, but it's to the Detroit Red Wings, and they've been 1 goal games. These two teams could be Stanley Cup Finalists by merit, and most people wouldn't argue. Only one team can win this series, and one team the cup each year. But we always have unreasonably high expectations because of the fortunate personnel we've acquired over the year regardless of their ability to get it done in the post season.

Going forward if this series is it for us this year, then next year looks better as it is. Hardly anybody expected us to be as bad as we were the first half of the year, and hardly anybody expected us to be as good as we were the second half. This year was about changing to a new goalie, a new defense, and our forward depth growing. Next year looks to be better with a couple of the lesser awesome contracts coming off the books. The ultimate question will still be: do we need to adjust the core, even albeit one member?

... I don't know, maybe. Might have to begin with expectations in the post season, and who hasn't lived up to them.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:23 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Because contrary to what you're saying, you're not really a fan if your allegiance is to the wins column or the # of trophies on the mantle.
Of course I said I'm not exactly jumping ship, but what if your allegiance is to the amount of effort the team puts up?

I've always said, win or lose, I don't care, I just want my team to put it all on the line each and every night, especially playoffs. EVERY pre-lockout Sharks run I thought the Sharks did that, even when the results were heart-breaking, like the 01-02 playoffs with a 3-2 lead on the Avs only to lose 6 at home 2-1 in OT and then lose 1-0 when Selanne couldn't score on an open net.

I can live with the Sharks losing if they bring their best effort for the full 60 minutes, but still get beat. No shame in that. But the third period of Game 5 and all of Game 6, IMHO, we didn't see that effort. That's very troubling and I could see how that lack of effort could make some people, even long time fans, want to jump ship.

I suspect the people thinking about jumping ship are doing so because they don't want to be a fan of a team that doesn't give 100% effort rather than amt of wins/trophies, that's my point.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Adam Jones

I bet my life savings on Detroit to win Game 7. If the Sharks win, it will be money well spent. If they lose, I'll have enough money to drink myself into oblivion.

Adam Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:24 AM
hockeyball

I think they'll win for whatever reason. I was almost positive they'd lose last night, and they did. My gut is telling me they will win game 7. I'm not really feeling optimistic, but for some reason I just don't feel like they are going to lose.

Sharks know that they will be seen as the biggest chokers in history if they lose the next game. We know they are sick and tired of that, and i suspect they are going to play angry. Unless someone totally blows it I think they'll barely pull out a win.

I won't get to watch the next round regardless of them winning or losing, so at least I won't feel like I missed anything if they do lose!

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Sleepy

To all those "jumping ship"... cya.

We're lucky enough to be in a non-hockey market and have a team that perennially makes the 2nd round of the playoffs, spends to the cap, and overall runs a clean, classy organization with players that take discounts to play here.

It'd sure be nice to win a cup, but losing every year in the 2nd round isn't terrible. Look at Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, NYR, NYI, Calgary, Buffalo. They'd love to switch places with us, and are arguably much better hockey markets.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:45 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1az View Post
Yo! Right here, even before they broke ground on HP.

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:53 AM
irregardless
Registered Dummy

I woke up today feeling pretty down, but to come into this terribly titled thread and see at least some positivity from our own board and other teams' fans is kind of awesome. <3 You guys are great.

irregardless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Felys

I'm still mad at the amount of effort that they've been stinking on the ice, and probably won't be such a die-hard in the future, if that's the only lesson I've learned from this series. I can't quit this drug, but I sure as hell can scale back. What a disappointment

Felys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:00 PM
MetropolisPt31

I've rooted for this team since 1995, when I was 14. I was hooked when Flaherty made his 56 saves in game 7, but have suffered through:
  • The tennis match Red Wings sweep
  • A 20-win season so awful that Geoff Sarjeant started in net
  • Ed Belfour
  • Losing to Ed Belfour's Stars in the playoffs
  • Upsetting St. Louis only to lose to Ed Belfour's Stars in the playoffs
  • Selanne. Wraparound.
  • 28-win season after Selanne. Wraparound.
  • Clawing back to a 2-2 Conference Finals, taking back home ice advantage and ultimately blowing it.
  • Being minutes away from a 3-0 series lead, ultimately losing in 6.
  • Being minutes away from a 3-1 series lead, ultimately losing in 6.
  • Barely beating Calgary in 7 before dropping the first 3 to Dallas, ultimately losing in 6.
  • Barely showing up against a #8 seed, ultimately losing in 6.
  • Getting swept in the Conference finals.

If they lose tomorrow, I'll be back. I'll drag myself back somehow.

MetropolisPt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

I dunno how any real fan could be done with hockey. I understand maybe taking a year off from obsession, but thats still not me. I love the game too much. I love this team. But if this ain't the year, then we need to move some pieces.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

If SJ loses tomorrow the least Marleau can do is to personally give every fan in the building a full refund.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Naki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolisPt31 View Post
I've rooted for this team since 1995, when I was 14. I was hooked when Flaherty made his 56 saves in game 7, but have suffered through:
  • The tennis match Red Wings sweep
  • A 20-win season so awful that Geoff Sarjeant started in net
  • Ed Belfour
  • Losing to Ed Belfour's Stars in the playoffs
  • Upsetting St. Louis only to lose to Ed Belfour's Stars in the playoffs
  • Selanne. Wraparound.
  • 28-win season after Selanne. Wraparound.
  • Clawing back to a 2-2 Conference Finals, taking back home ice advantage and ultimately blowing it.
  • Being minutes away from a 3-0 series lead, ultimately losing in 6.
  • Being minutes away from a 3-1 series lead, ultimately losing in 6.
  • Barely beating Calgary in 7 before dropping the first 3 to Dallas, ultimately losing in 6.
  • Barely showing up against a #8 seed, ultimately losing in 6.
  • Getting swept in the Conference finals.

If they lose tomorrow, I'll be back. I'll drag myself back somehow.
When you list it out like that it baffles me as to how we are not all callous to the losing.
Losing a 3-0 lead and the series by losing 4 straight just fills one more check box on the lovable losers bingo card.

Naki is offline   Reply With Quote