HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Puck Never Seems To Stop In Philly

Old
05-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
This thread should win an award for the least interesting Jester-fest yet.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:47 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
You just proved him right. Football is so micromanaged and each team has not one, but something like 10+ coaches. How is coaching not more important in football? Just because a head coach divides up the responsibilities does not mean that coaching in football is less important. If anything, it should point to the opposite being true.
It doesn't.

In american football the offense is run by the offensive coordinator not the head coach.

The defense is run by the defensive coordinator not the head coach.

In college basketball the head coach alone is responsible for everything.

Bill Belichick, as great as he is, couldn't turn the Browns around when he was their head coach.

He couldn't turn the Jets around when he was their assistant head coach.

He couldn't turn New England around the first time he was there as assistant head coach.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Uh...all that shows, is that the job of coaching in football is so large and important that it can't be managed by one person.

The military doesn't have just one guy in charge...there's a chain of command. Does that mean officers are less important?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:53 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Uh...all that shows, is that the job of coaching in football is so large and important that it can't be managed by one person.

The military doesn't have just one guy in charge...there's a chain of command. Does that mean officers are less important?
OK so explain how a guy who can't manage everything is more important than a guy who does?

Old
05-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
OK so explain how a guy who can't manage everything is more important than a guy who does?
Was Eisenhower less important than a first sergeant?

There's a WORLD of difference between coaching 15-20 guys and coaching over 50, as well as coordinating the support staff and lesser coaches who handle different aspects.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:01 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Was Eisenhower less important than a first sergeant?

There's a WORLD of difference between coaching 15-20 guys and coaching over 50, as well as coordinating the support staff and lesser coaches who handle different aspects.
Hypothetically speaking, as far as decisions made in an office and then being carried out, eisenhower is more important.

In combat with the troops on the battlefield, the first sergeant is.

It's like asking if Hitler is more important than Rommel. Decision-making yes. On a North African battlefield, no way.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Hypothetically speaking, as far as decisions made in an office and then being carried out, eisenhower is more important.

In combat with the troops on the battlefield, the first sergeant is.

It's like asking if Hitler is more important than Rommel. Decision-making yes. On a North African battlefield, no way.
So, overall, in the grand scheme of coaching, the head coach is most important. Why do you hold it against him that he delegates the small tasks to others? It's impossible for one man to micromanage every single aspect of a football team....because coaching is just that big and important in football.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:03 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
It doesn't.

In american football the offense is run by the offensive coordinator not the head coach.

Bill Belichick, as great as he is, couldn't turn the Browns around when he was their head coach.

He couldn't turn New England around the first time he was there as assistant head coach.

I really hope you aren't implying that the head coach and the offensive and defensive coordinators do not work together to get a game plan....

And why the hell are we talking about football?

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 02:06 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
It doesn't.

The original quote by Jester was:

Quote:
You know what else is true of football? In no sport is coaching as important as it is in football. Every single coach from 15-20 years ago would be at tremendous disadvantage.
You then started talking about 'the coach.' These are two different things. Coaching/systems/strategy is most important in football for all of the reasons that have been listed above. You took it and ran in a different direction talking about the guy at the top. So yea, a college basketball coach may have more of a direct impact on the game because he's only overseeing five guys at a time, but in terms of overall coaching, it's a little different.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
I really hope you aren't implying that the head coach and the offensive and defensive coordinators do not work together to get a game plan....

And why the hell are we talking about football?
I'm not sure. It seems to be a few people debating, and they seem to be having fun, so I figured I'd leave it going, instead of moving it to the Eagles thread and derailing discussion in there.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:07 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
So, overall, in the grand scheme of coaching, the head coach is most important. Why do you hold it against him that he delegates the small tasks to others? It's impossible for one man to micromanage every single aspect of a football team....because coaching is just that big and important in football.
Beef, I don't hold it against him.

I absolutely understand the importance of a head coach in football.

If you go back and look at the original argument put forth by Jester, he clearly feels that the head coach in american football is the most important.

Where I disagree with him is that I feel the college basketball head coach is just as important.

I never said more important mind you. Only just as.

If you think I don't appreciate the head coach in football, brother think again.

I was so happy the day the Raiders hired Jon Gruden I felt like crying tears of joy.

I almost did.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:41 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
I'm not sure. It seems to be a few people debating, and they seem to be having fun, so I figured I'd leave it going, instead of moving it to the Eagles thread and derailing discussion in there.
I think it began when the importance of the position of goalie was compared to the position of quarterback. Then it turned into how dominant the Dallas Cowboys were in the 90s, then turned into how important coaching is.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote