HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin close to signing 1-year deal with Habs

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2011, 01:27 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
Gill in the top 4 is far from perfect to me ...

How big is emelin ?
6"2, 210

Old
05-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Overall I like the way you think with a bit of tinkering/adjusting(see above)

Full 23-man roster-depending on $$
doubt that Emelin will play 1st pairing minutes coming out of camp
Also Spacek is not going anywhere, possible that Emelin is eased in at #7
And not convinced that we will overpay for Laich, so pouls inserted as a space filler until a better solution is found
Webber will be you're 8th Dman as well as your forward insert a la streit
Darche your 500K ins policy
MacIntyre may be a possibility for a cheaper backup than Auld if they like what they've seen with the dogs playoff drive

Now that I consider it, Jagr at 2 million could look pretty good with Cammy and Pleks next to him. I know one game does not a season make, and I was not on the bandwagon to begin with. If Jagr has the fire/desire to come back and make a point what do we really have to lose if he plays like this?
So, i'm inserting him as an option on Plek's line
Not many teams go with a 23 man roster...i only see us doing that if we maybe carry 8 d to start the season (if there is some question as to how the guys coming off surgery will hold up).

I put Emelin with Markov as i think its got the makings of a good pairing. In terms of overall ice time i suspect Emelin would be behind Subban, Markov and Gorges so its not really true #1 pairing ice time.

I agree Spacek isn't going anywhere, but he will have to earn a top 6 spot. IMO he will be battling Weber for that #6.

Pouliot is a goner. I don't think there is any doubt there.

I'd take Jagr for sure at a reasonable contract.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
6"2, 210
His teams website has him at 101kg, so thats about 223lbs.

IIHF website has the same:

http://www.iihf.com/channels-11/iihf...teams/rus.html

Old
05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
JMcLeaf

vCash: 3290
Do you guys think he will get powerplay time? I read he has a great slapshot and he had a decent season offensively in the KHL this season (11 g 15 a)

Old
05-11-2011, 01:36 PM
RC51

concerning Spacek, Habs will try to pkg him out in a trade but even if they just cant he will be gone at the trade deadline

Old
05-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
concerning Spacek, Habs will try to pkg him out in a trade but even if they just cant he will be gone at the trade deadline
Unlikely.

At present nobody would want him. The only way he would have any value at the deadline is if he has a good season, and if that's the case we will keep him for the playoff push.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Bieber fever

Do you think it's a good idea to try emelin with Markov ?
Communication is an important part for defenseman...

Old
05-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Unlikely.

At present nobody would want him. The only way he would have any value at the deadline is if he has a good season, and if that's the case we will keep him for the playoff push.
I think it only takes a decent season up until the trade deadline. There will be teams out there, that are in the playoff race, but want a veteran on their blue-line and will take their chance with Spacek. It helps that this is his final year on his contract too, so hopefully they can unload him.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:59 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
Do you think it's a good idea to try emelin with Markov ?
Communication is an important part for defenseman...
Was actually thinking about that last night. I think their styles would work well together and Emelin knows little to no english.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:00 PM
habsrule22

Mike Cammalleri-Tomas Plekanec-Brooks Laich/Jagr
Max Pacioretty-Scott Gomez-Brian Gionta
David Desharnais-Lars Eller-Andrei Kostitsyn
Travis Moen-Talbot/Konopka/Rupp-Ryan White
ex. Darche

Andrei Markov (5.3m)-Wiz(4.1m)
Hal Gill (2m)-PK Subban(0.875m)
Jaroslav Spacek(3.833)-Josh Gorges(2.3m)
ex. Alexei Emelin (1m)-Yannick Weber(0.875)

Carey Price
Auld or similar back up

The cap hit for the 8 defensemen is 20.283m, which we can managed for a better part of the season. it will give the injured players time to fully recover. We would have depth in case of injuries and Weber can play as a forward from time to time. This would also give Emelin time to get up to speed to the NHL. When you consider that when last season started, Toronto cap hit for defense was well over 23m. As long as Wiz salary demand isn t crazy, they will sign him up. I think they learned enough from Souray and Streit to keep his shot (for the PP) around. At some point during the season, they will find someone to take Spacek.
Goaltenders cost 3.75m leaving about 37m for the forwards. Plenty to add a top 6 forward.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Estimated_Prophet

I wouldn't be surprised to see Weber traded and both of Hamrlik and Gill re-signed.

Markov - Gorges
Subban - Gill
Hamrlik - Emelin
Spacek

Old
05-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I think it only takes a decent season up until the trade deadline. There will be teams out there, that are in the playoff race, but want a veteran on their blue-line and will take their chance with Spacek. It helps that this is his final year on his contract too, so hopefully they can unload him.
Why would we then unload him in January ?
We are likely to be looking for depth anyway at this point of the year, he's gone at the end of the season, if we cant dump him now and find a better replacement, i dont see the point of doing it later.

Especially since as Patty said, his value is directly connected to his play on the ice.

@E = CH² : He's 25, he can only sign a 1-year deal because of that. I believe it is age-related.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:11 PM
walsy37

If you can't unload Spacek between now and draft - then PG needs to take his salary into account on July 1 when figuring out how much money he has to spend. While cap relief in-season is valuable, IMO, once they can't sign someone to begin the season, he will be with the team until at least February and maybe longer if the Habs need the depth. We can take advantage of his coming off the cap next summer.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Lucius

Quote:
The deadline is irrelevant though.

To start the season and consider long term commitments that Markov and Wiz would require... that means you have to assume he's on the books until the end.

If they move him at the deadline, it's likely only if the team itself has fallen into a pit or several other players have emerged, not to make room for someone else, because the cap savings at that point in the season are negligible (which is why a team would take him).

There is no chance in hell he gets moved prior to the deadline, and I'd guess not much better of one then unless the team has dove off a cliff.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:13 PM
habshound247

Has anyone heard how Markov and Gorges are coming along with their rehab? When are they expected to return; training camp, start of regular season or into the season?

Old
05-11-2011, 02:16 PM
JimmyDarmody

Would anyone be willing to trade a pick and/or a prospect along with Spacek just to get him off the books?

Someone like Carle, for example.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:22 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by habshound247 View Post
Has anyone heard how Markov and Gorges are coming along with their rehab? When are they expected to return; training camp, start of regular season or into the season?
Gorges' is going "exactly as expected". He will be back by training camp.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:23 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Mike Cammalleri-Tomas Plekanec-Brooks Laich/Jagr
Max Pacioretty-Scott Gomez-Brian Gionta
David Desharnais-Lars Eller-Andrei Kostitsyn
Travis Moen-Talbot/Konopka/Rupp-Ryan White
ex. Darche

Andrei Markov (5.3m)-Wiz(4.1m)
Hal Gill (2m)-PK Subban(0.875m)
Jaroslav Spacek(3.833)-Josh Gorges(2.3m)
ex. Alexei Emelin (1m)-Yannick Weber(0.875)

Carey Price
Auld or similar back up

The cap hit for the 8 defensemen is 20.283m, which we can managed for a better part of the season. it will give the injured players time to fully recover. We would have depth in case of injuries and Weber can play as a forward from time to time. This would also give Emelin time to get up to speed to the NHL. When you consider that when last season started, Toronto cap hit for defense was well over 23m. As long as Wiz salary demand isn t crazy, they will sign him up. I think they learned enough from Souray and Streit to keep his shot (for the PP) around. At some point during the season, they will find someone to take Spacek.
Goaltenders cost 3.75m leaving about 37m for the forwards. Plenty to add a top 6 forward.
So Tomas Jagr with Jaromir Jagr??

Old
05-11-2011, 02:28 PM
HabLance
Rookie User

He's big enough. Chelios wasn't the biggest guy either but he had a presence. Not saying this guy is gonna be Chris, just saying you can have an on ice presence without being 6'4" and 230 lbs

Old
05-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
Would anyone be willing to trade a pick and/or a prospect along with Spacek just to get him off the books?

Someone like Carle, for example.
I'm sure that's a possibility they'd explore, as long as it's not a top prospect or top pick.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:32 PM
De Montreal
help

Best case scenario is we trade Spacek and retains Hamrlik. If we can't trade Spacek, well, we have to let go Hamrlik which would be unfortunate cause I picture him as the perfect number four defenceman.

Scenario A (Spacek stays)
Gill - Subban
Emelin - Markov
Gorges - Spacek
Weber

Scenario B (which I'd prefer, some team pickup Spacek for an unknown prospect)
Gill - Subban
Emelin - Markov
Gorges - Hamrlik
Weber

In any case, Emelin's probable signing means no need for Mara/Sopel. We save a bit of money there.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
But if he's having a decent season, then doesn't it stand to reason that we would also want to keep the veteran depth for the playoff run?

Old
05-11-2011, 02:39 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'm sure that's a possibility they'd explore, as long as it's not a top prospect or top pick.
I'd be willing to even give up a 4th rounder to clear his salary.

We have a 3-year window with our current vet core (Cammy, Gionta, Markov, Pleks). Chances our 2011/2012 4th rounder would be able to contribute during that window are slim to none. Freeing up close to 4 million in cap-space, on the other hand, could bring in some scoring depth that we sorely lack.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Let's be fair, you're cherrypicking one fight where Emelin got his orbital bone (or whatever) broken by Alex Svitov, a pretty tough customer in his own right.

One punch doesn't mean he's not a good fighter, don't be ridiculous.
He isn't known for fighting period.

As for his hockey talents, Kasparaitis was a great stay-at-home defenseman. Emelin isn't. However I'm not saying he's bad, pretty good defensivly and with some offense.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:51 PM
googlymoogly

If they sign Emelin they probably won't bring back Wiz.

Markov should get a decent vet to take some pressure off of him. Spacek can't play the right very well so I expect Gorges will team up with Markov.

Next pair Should be
Spacek Subban

Then we have Gill(resigned) Emelin Weber

Markov Gorges
Spacek Subban
Gill Emelin/ Weber

Weber could also play on the wing and have a back up D in case of injuries like JM did in the Boston series. In two years Weber would replace Spacek coming off of his contract.

The best would be to trade Spacek and get a more solid top 4 just in case Subban gets Sophomore syndrome.

Closed Thread