HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2011, 07:57 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
jensen is a guy i believe is on our radar.

hes a euro, so that will work against him to some extent, but i like his skill set and hes been given a long look im sure.

if theres a list, and im sure there is, i have to believe hes on it.

i still believe gordie will want to stick to that same formula. busorcbpa

best us or canadian born player available

as an aside, i am hearing big things about this kid. played for sarnia last year. he was sick with mono and missed a bunch of games but his numbers are very good considering games played.

http://www.sarniasting.com/roster/show/id/1527

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=yo5w5ZqAivo

i expect he will rise as we approach the combine. his measurables are off the charts. dude is a monster and can play with the puck. hes a scorer and with his size would be a matchup nightmare. 6'3 200 lbs at 17 yrs old. and he can really throw em. this kid is nasty and plays with snarl.

from what i was told, hes a great character kid too and wore an A at the recent world juniors in germany.

kid is a very nice power forward prospect- fits the bill for a gordie clark selection and would be someone to consider with one of our seconds.

this is the kind of player we need to be looking at with one of our 2nd rounders. skill and size player with heart. whom ever grabs this young man early 2nd round will be getting a nice power prospect.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
jensen is a guy i believe is on our radar.

hes a euro, so that will work against him to some extent, but i like his skill set and hes been given a long look im sure.

if theres a list, and im sure there is, i have to believe hes on it.

i still believe gordie will want to stick to that same formula. busorcbpa

best us or canadian born player available

as an aside, i am hearing big things about this kid. played for sarnia last year. he was sick with mono and missed a bunch of games but his numbers are very good considering games played.

http://www.sarniasting.com/roster/show/id/1527

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=yo5w5ZqAivo

i expect he will rise as we approach the combine. his measurables are off the charts. dude is a monster and can play with the puck. hes a scorer and with his size would be a matchup nightmare. 6'3 200 lbs at 17 yrs old. and he can really throw em. this kid is nasty and plays with snarl.

from what i was told, hes a great character kid too and wore an A at the recent world juniors in germany.

kid is a very nice power forward prospect- fits the bill for a gordie clark selection and would be someone to consider with one of our seconds.

this is the kind of player we need to be looking at with one of our 2nd rounders. skill and size player with heart. whom ever grabs this young man early 2nd round will be getting a nice power prospect.
Me like...the bigger, meaner da better...

Old
05-11-2011, 08:38 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Not enamored with Jensen. The upside is there, but I have doubts.

Skating (especially technically, not so much in terms of first step quickness and stop/start) is great, hands are slick and shot is good to very good.

Not impressed with his motor/hockey IQ. Takes shifts off, can be a "disappearing act".

05-11-2011, 12:01 PM
NaturalIce

NYR draft preview is up

http://thehockeywriters.com/new-york...draft-preview/

Old
05-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalIce View Post
Mcneil, Kohkhlachev, Scheifele.

IMO, Mcneil will be gone, Kohk is not a Ranger pick, Scheiflele is a good bet to go around our pick.

my mock top 15:

1-EDM Nugent-Hopkins
2-COL Landeskog
3-FLA Couturier
4-NJD Larsson
5-NYI Hamilton
6-Ott HUberdeau
7-ATL Strome
8-CBJ Bartschi
9-BOS Murphy
10-MIN Siemens
11-COL Zibanejad
12-CAR Beaulieu
13-CAL McNeil
14-DAL Armia
15-NYR Biggs

Old
05-11-2011, 01:00 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

not a fan of biggs. to me, wasted first round pick. there is value in round 2 if we want to go power forward project. as i mentioned today, richie is just that kinda player.

prefer someone with waaaayyyy more offensive talent and hockey smarts than biggs with pick 1 this year. we gotta go for some high end offense here. skater/playmaker/shooter- not a power forward project.

as i said before, to me, biggs is this years forward equivalent of dylan mcilrath.

not a huge fan of mcneil either to be honest. i can live with that pick but prefer more offense upside.

talent and skill trumps size and physicality when that size doesnt have pure offensive hockey and goal scoring ability.

stay away from biggs please.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:05 PM
NaturalIce

I'm admittedly very high on khokhlachev, but he is definately not a gordie clark type pick. I really see scheifele being our pick to be honest

Old
05-11-2011, 01:08 PM
NYR Viper

McNeil and Scheifele intrigue me in round 1 for sure. Still want Grimaldi in round 2.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:15 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
If we are picking at 15, I want Khoklachev in the first round, but McNeill is definitely my number 2.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:18 PM
TrollololBoyle

I am wondering if Clark and co. will actually pick a non NA skater this year, for one reason: the Werek-Lindberg trade. Of course, we don't know the true reason the trade happened, but the Rangers replaced a North American with a European. Of course one factor could have been that Lindberg played with Fasth, but that can't be the only reason.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:18 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
I'm admittedly very high on khokhlachev, but he is definately not a gordie clark type pick. I really see scheifele being our pick to be honest
i could live with him. kyle woodlief loves the kid and feels hes on a fast track to being special. so im good with that kinda props from kyle.

he will play at 6'2 -6'3 and 200 plus and thats the size we lack at the pivot position.

with his skills, hes got both size and offensive ability. i like that combo. skating is the only concern for me.

he sounds alot like this years ryan johansen.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Still hoping for Armia/Puempel. I actually think we'll be able to trade down for Puempel. Armia should go right in our range.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
not a fan of biggs. to me, wasted first round pick. there is value in round 2 if we want to go power forward project. as i mentioned today, richie is just that kinda player.

prefer someone with waaaayyyy more offensive talent and hockey smarts than biggs with pick 1 this year. we gotta go for some high end offense here. skater/playmaker/shooter- not a power forward project.

as i said before, to me, biggs is this years forward equivalent of dylan mcilrath.

not a huge fan of mcneil either to be honest. i can live with that pick but prefer more offense upside.

talent and skill trumps size and physicality when that size doesnt have pure offensive hockey and goal scoring ability.

stay away from biggs please.
Yeah, after last year I thought, 'which pick would be typical Ranger and piss me off? Biggs !'

Get ready for it "Rangers get BIGGer at the draft !"

I like McNeil, reminds me a bit of Dubinsky at that age. He looked pretty good on both ends of the puck with really no help on that Prince Albert team. I think you're wrong if you're saying he doesn't have good offensive upside.

Quote:
I just can't see Gordie making that pick.

If anything I'd have Namestnikov above Kohkhlachev, I'm in the camp that Names will be a better pro than Kohk.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:22 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Still hoping for Armia/Puempel. I actually think we'll be able to trade down for Puempel. Armia should go right in our range.
matt puempel will be there. hes the shooter we lack in this organization. he can rip it and he can finish. like his pp abilities and nose for net.

another guy who might drop and be available late 1st.

someone will get one of these kids early 2nd round. there will be reaches and need picks that will likely cause kids to fall.

should be fun.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:28 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
McNeil and Scheifele intrigue me in round 1 for sure. Still want Grimaldi in round 2.
don't think he lasts that long.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
i could live with him. kyle woodlief loves the kid and feels hes on a fast track to being special. so im good with that kinda props from kyle.

he will play at 6'2 -6'3 and 200 plus and thats the size we lack at the pivot position.

with his skills, hes got both size and offensive ability. i like that combo. skating is the only concern for me.

he sounds alot like this years ryan johansen.
I like Scheifele as well. Not worried about his skating, very similar to Stepan, but he has bigger strides, taller, gets to where he needs to in good time.

I doubt he goes from middle to late first to #4 overall like Johansen did. Only really really great talent evaluators had Johansen that high this time last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like no Sather or Clark run draft has traded DOWN in the first round. I'm going back 20 years and have no evidence that either have traded down in round one, only up.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:29 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah, after last year I thought, 'which pick would be typical Ranger and piss me off? Biggs !'

Get ready for it "Rangers get BIGGer at the draft !"

I like McNeil, reminds me a bit of Dubinsky at that age. He looked pretty good on both ends of the puck with really no help on that Prince Albert team. I think you're wrong if you're saying he doesn't have good offensive upside.

I just can't see Gordie making that pick.

If anything I'd have Namestnikov above Kohkhlachev, I'm in the camp that Names will be a better pro than Kohk.
BIG mistake taking biggs at 15.

mcneil has a good 2 way game but lacks top 6 skills imo. i like the dubi comparison. we shall see but i see limited scoring upside and so-so hands. 3rd line centerman with some talent to play a more offensive role perhaps.

disagree on names. hes lightening fast and shifty but his shot is weak. hes too small to work down low in the pros. he may be safer but he wont be nearly as productive. everyone i spoke to pretty much agrees that hell have a tougher time being productive in the pros due to lack of size and strength. passer first kind player who needs alot of space to operate.

he didnt do anything for me this year at all.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

ODC, I by no means want Biggs either, just a prediction. Hope its wrong, but after last year I have no idea what this team will do, they march by the beat of their own drum.

I've heard the opposite with Names and Kohk. Names has a reputation of going into traffic and doing well, though he still has a skinny frame. He also speaks english fluently, has good bloodlines, and no attitude problems.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

As I've said before, I'd be very happy with Scheifele as our pick. Especially at #15. I think there's tremendous offensive upside there given his ability to win battles along the boards and thread tape-to-tape passes. By all accounts he has excellent character and drive to succeed.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
BIG mistake taking biggs at 15.

mcneil has a good 2 way game but lacks top 6 skills imo. i like the dubi comparison. we shall see but i see limited scoring upside and so-so hands. 3rd line centerman with some talent to play a more offensive role perhaps.

disagree on names. hes lightening fast and shifty but his shot is weak. hes too small to work down low in the pros. he may be safer but he wont be nearly as productive. everyone i spoke to pretty much agrees that hell have a tougher time being productive in the pros due to lack of size and strength. passer first kind player who needs alot of space to operate.

he didnt do anything for me this year at all.
Would you say Biggs is similar to Zach Kassian?

Old
05-11-2011, 02:41 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
As I've said before, I'd be very happy with Scheifele as our pick. Especially at #15. I think there's tremendous offensive upside there given his ability to win battles along the boards and thread tape-to-tape passes. By all accounts he has excellent character and drive to succeed.
I'm liking everything I've read about Scheifele...he fits the current Ranger profile, and his offense seems to be on the upswing. Ideally I'd like to move up for Strome or Zibanejad, but, I'd be content taking Scheifele at #15.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:45 PM
broadwayblue

Mark Scheifele

Born: Kitchener, ON

DOB: March, 1993
Height: 6’3”
Weight: 175
Position: Centre
Shoots: Right

NHL Draft Eligibility: 2011

One-Timer:

A premium is set on big offensive centers, and Scheifele holds that in spades. An otherwise bright spot on an awful Barrie season.

Schiefele possesses that which most scouts look for in a center– size, skating, vision, hands and hockey intelligence.

Seen as somewhat of a ‘safe’ pick by scouts, as he has all the tools needed to be an NHL’er, it’s just unknown in what capacity that may be. His playmaking and vision are his bread and butter, and he uses them in Joe Thorton-like fashion, always looking for the open man.

In a time where teams are so heavily looking for center depth, especially those playmaking pivots, Schiefele has seen his stock rise and could be a surprise pick to move into 15th or so.

With added strength to his frame, he could be all that much better, and a real gem for the team that brings him into the player development fold.

Top Prospects Game: Was held pointless, and saw little ice time. When he did hit the ice, he looked for the pass and played a two-way game.

Statistics: 66 GP – 22 G – 53 A

Scout’s Honor:

“He has to play against everybody’s best players every night,” the scout told NHL.com, “where you might have a player on a real good team that doesn’t have to play against the top defensive pair or maybe they’re playing against the third line every night. There’s a big difference. You have to take that into consideration.”
“Mark protects the puck very well and will take it to the net while fighting through checks,” Central Scouting’s Chris Edwards told NHL.com. “He’s got a great work ethic. His Barrie Colts have struggled this season and he has been relied upon to provide offense. He sees the ice very well and his playmaking ability is very good. He gets back quickly and works hard defensively.” (NHL.com)

“He’s done better than most people thought,” Hawerchuk told NHL.com. “I never like to pencil a guy or pigeonhole a guy — this is what I expect from him. The opportunity was there for him and he ran with it.”
“He’s going to be so much further ahead this time next year for having to play against top lines and 19- and 20-year-olds night in and night out,” Hawerchuk said. (NHL.com)
Bio/Interview(s)/Link(s):

Hockey’s Future – Interview on Going OHL Route
Schiefeke’s Draft Blog at NHL.com
International Tournaments

ETA = 2 yrs

Risk-Reward Analysis:

Risk = 1.5/5 Reward = 4.0/5

NHL Potential:

Top 6 offensive playmaking center, who is reliable defensively.

Strengths:

*See “One Timer” section above.

High end vision
Tremendous stickhandler
Big body
High Hockey IQ
Quick shot
Flaws/Aspects He Needs To Work On:

Core Strength- needs to bulk up on his lanky frame to use his size more effectively along boards/corners, and to endure rigors of the NHL
Shoot more!
Fantasy Hockey Potential: Offensive =8 /10 Defensive = 7/10

NHL Player(s) Comparison:

- At his best:

Paul Statsny
Brad Richards
Mike Ribeiro
Anze Kopitar
Video(s): Scheifele Shows his Lacrosse Background

Off The Iron (Interesting Notes):

Lists Daystuk at his favorite player- idolizes the two-way game
Also listed Detroit as his favorite team
Left a scholarship with Cornell to go OHL Route when he noticed he had a good chance at getting icetime with Barrie, following a trade from Saginaw

Old
05-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Would you say Biggs is similar to Zach Kassian?
Quote:
USA Hockey's Jim Johannson says Biggs reminds him of a much bigger version of retired NHL player Mike Keane, who enjoyed a long pro career of being a pest.

"Biggs is going to be a player who will really be hard to play against and will contribute offensively," Johannson said.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...rospects_N.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I'm liking everything I've read about Scheifele...he fits the current Ranger profile, and his offense seems to be on the upswing. Ideally I'd like to move up for Strome or Zibanejad, but, I'd be content taking Scheifele at #15.
Moving up for a top ten pick means a player going the other way. Which player are you ready to trade to go from 15 to say 8, 9 or 10?

Old
05-11-2011, 03:16 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...rospects_N.htm

Moving up for a top ten pick means a player going the other way. Which player are you ready to trade to go from 15 to say 8, 9 or 10?
Already been discussed...adding one of the 2nd rounders gets you to 10/11...both 2nd rounders gets you to 7 with a 3rd likely coming back. RB already laid out the scenario.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
l

Already been discussed...adding one of the 2nd rounders gets you to 10/11...both 2nd rounders gets you to 7 with a 3rd likely coming back. RB already laid out the scenario.
I don't buy it. Teams in that range need help now, and most of those teams 5-10 have deep prospect pools, adding high end picks/NHL ready players makes more sense than gaining an extra 2nd rounder in a draft not too many seem to be too keen on.

Closed Thread