HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Timonen to meet with Homer - Why?

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2011, 09:51 PM
The Flin Flon Bomber

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
First you get dee sugar. Den you get dee power. Den you get dee women.

To the beemobile!
You mean your Chevy?

Yes...

Old
05-10-2011, 11:43 PM
BernieParent

Timonen probably offered to switch to goaltender.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:47 AM
dats81

Kimmo has been a leader on this team for a while and he was the key piece of the last rebuilding phase, which is why he has that contract and the NMC. He is well respected by his teammates and coaching staff.

Homer may have asked him to have this meeting in order to talk about what this team is lacking and what needs to be fixed and who on the current roster could provide such feedback better than Timonen?
I don't think he is a quitter and honestly I can't see why Homer would ask him to waive his NMC right now - trade talks have not yet started.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:13 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

****ing offeason ...

Old
05-11-2011, 03:39 AM
CptCannon

ITT: Carle fanboys trying to make Kimmo look bad so people would forget Matty's horribadness.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:54 AM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He was injured.
Isn't it that any Flyers player who played terribly in the post-season is now being linked to an injury?!

Nothing to do with just playing crap then? No?! None of them?!

Old
05-11-2011, 06:03 AM
mirimon

Timonen didn't have as good of a season as we've been used to seeing from him, but he was still our best defender imo. I know that Meszaros got that reward, but I don't agree with that. If Timonen does in fact decide to retire early (I don't believe he will) it does free up cap space but it also leaves one huge hole to fill. Ehrhoff or Wisniewski won't be sufficient to fill it. Wisniewski can make Coburn look like a smart hockey player at times and Ehrhoff isn't anywhere near good enough defensively on a consistent basis. He's closer to Carle territory in that regard really.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:16 AM
alx83*

Carle was by far the worst defenseman on the team. By far. If anything, he needs to go. Meszaros can take over his spot in the lineup. Then sign a more reliable guy that will make probably half the salary of Carle (Montador, Sopel, hell... Paul Mara [trust me, he'd be a great bottom pairing guy ]). And if O'Donnell's not retiring, I'd resign him too. He's a good guy to have around in the playoffs.

Old
05-11-2011, 07:15 AM
dmcdougall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
Isn't it that any Flyers player who played terribly in the post-season is now being linked to an injury?!

Certainly not all of them were injured..but, a lot of them were.

Richards is having wrist surgery
Betts - finger
Meszaros - wrist
Versteeg - Stomach muscle
Leighton - who cares

With Hartnell and Carter possibly needing hip surgery and Pronger hurt as well. While I admit Kimmo isn't on that list, that isn't to say he wasn't hurt. Regardless, yes, a lot of Flyers were playing hurt. Briere, JVR and Giroux don't make this list, and they played well in the play-offs.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=365300

Old
05-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Like I said, "if we are able to," meaning if he waives the NMC. He's old and approaching retirement(which he has stated). He has a huge cap hit, too.

Jeff Carter is 25, our tallest center, our perennial leading goalscorer, and our best faceoff guy. But yeah, let's trade him because he's valuable
Maybe sometimes the best players for a team are not always the ones who show up on the stat sheet but actually LEAD teams through the value they bring on the ice every night?

Hmmmmm, this is where the disconnect with the fan loyalty to Richards and Carter is so skewed. Yes, Jeff Carter and Mike Richards are very talented players, certainly top 100 players in the NHL. But the question needs to be asked does talent and skill win or does a combination of skill, effort, and guys who can raise their compete level on a TEAM have more success?

As much talent and skill as this team has they got abused by a less skilled team who outskated, outhit, outmuscled, outworked, and basically wanted it more than the Flyers. Sometimes having guys who just want it more rubs off on the team as a whole, see Pronger and Timonen. And as we can see by the recent petulant behavior of the Captain there is a divide between guys who are professional and really want it(see Timonen) and guys who want to blame everyone else for their problems(see Richards).

So the question is asked. Do you keep guys who have all the talent but compete half as hard at times, or do you want to keep the guys who you know are going to show up every night even if they are not contributing on the scoring sheet?

Old
05-11-2011, 07:57 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdougall View Post
Certainly not all of them were injured..but, a lot of them were.

Richards is having wrist surgery
Betts - finger
Meszaros - wrist
Versteeg - Stomach muscle
Leighton - who cares

With Hartnell and Carter possibly needing hip surgery and Pronger hurt as well. While I admit Kimmo isn't on that list, that isn't to say he wasn't hurt. Regardless, yes, a lot of Flyers were playing hurt. Briere, JVR and Giroux don't make this list, and they played well in the play-offs.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=365300
Leighton, I believe, tore his left and right puck-stopping muscles (PSMs), and has a severe strain in his rebound-control ligament (RCL). He is expected to make a complete recovery in Adirondack.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:02 AM
BernieParent

What's with the hip issue for Carter? Sorry if I completely missed this, but I thought it was his knee. Is hip the new concussion for Flyer fan miseries?

Old
05-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Plus/minus? Really???

Timonen was okay this year.

It's a shame for him that he works his tail off and takes a pounding like all small guys do and then he has to watch the young "nucleus" traipse it all away.

Maybe they can lure Kukes back out from Europe...
No kidding, Timonen gets pounded into the boards while our fwds peel off and do not finish hits. It is a mentality that has been lacking for awhile, and it has nothing to do with the coach not wanting the players to take stupid penalties and it has everything about some players on this roster feeling they do not need to finish hits to be an NHL player.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
What's with the hip issue for Carter? Sorry if I completely missed this, but I thought it was his knee. Is hip the new concussion for Flyer fan miseries?
Was wondering that too. Thought it was a misprint?

Old
05-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You know who had a horrific postseason? Matt Carle. THAT was horrific.
Agreed 1000%.
i didn't curse anyone's name more than his this post season.
Blown coverages, failed clearings all over the place and can someone please teach this guy how to take a slapshot for ****'s sake!

Old
05-11-2011, 12:52 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Leighton, I believe, tore his left and right puck-stopping muscles (PSMs), and has a severe strain in his rebound-control ligament (RCL). He is expected to make a complete recovery in Adirondack.

Fantastic post!

Old
05-11-2011, 01:05 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
So the question is asked. Do you keep guys who have all the talent but compete half as hard at times, or do you want to keep the guys who you know are going to show up every night even if they are not contributing on the scoring sheet?
Are we saying that the Bruins didn't really want it last year? Or are we saying that injuries may have hampered their ability to play up to their potential, and a healthier team put them out of the playoffs?

Old
05-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Are we saying that the Bruins didn't really want it last year? Or are we saying that injuries may have hampered their ability to play up to their potential, and a healthier team put them out of the playoffs?
Nope, thought the Bruins were too soft to win. Even when the Flyers were down 3-0 I told my Bruins friends that this series was not over, the Flyers were not healthier. The loss of Krejci was big but overall they were a softer team and the biggest difference.....the Flyers were outskating them, outworking them, outhustling them.

Additions: Peverly, Marchand, Kelly, Campbell

Out: Satan, Wheeler, Sobotka, Begin.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:38 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Nope, thought the Bruins were too soft to win. Even when the Flyers were down 3-0 I told my Bruins friends that this series was not over, the Flyers were not healthier. The loss of Krejci was big but overall they were a softer team and the biggest difference.....the Flyers were outskating them, outworking them, outhustling them.

Additions: Peverly, Marchand, Kelly, Campbell

Out: Satan, Wheeler, Sobotka, Begin.
Added Kaberle and traded Mark Stuart as well.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Added Kaberle and traded Mark Stuart as well.
Kaberle has sucked, getting Seidenberg back was a big help to them. This guy has turned into the steady, reliable, top 3 d-man.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:47 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Nope, thought the Bruins were too soft to win.
But of course. Having a skilled player or two go down with an injury had nothing to do with it.

But while we're on the topic, do you think perhaps losing Lappy and Asham and having them replaced by Zherdev and no one might have had more to do with the Flyers' playoff run this year than Carter's performance?

The Bruins improved their team significantly over the summer and at the deadline. The Flyers went the opposite way. Luckily, they weren't stupid enough to trade Carter and further send the team into the dumper.

Old
05-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post

Carle isn't injured, he was just bad apparently.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Bryz4shiz

Word on the street in South Philly is that Timonen is going to tell Homer that he (Homer) is being handed a restraining order and is no longer allowed within 2000 feet of a managerial decision. I heard it from two reliable sources

Old
05-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

This thread is not for discussing whether or not Carter should be traded. There is another thread for that.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=912746

Keep it on topic.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:47 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Good Timonen read.

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...s-running-out/

Quote:
As the season wore on, Timonen’s desire for the Cup became clearer and clearer. His position on the Flyers’ roster next season is secure — but he may be paying closer attention to Holmgren’s offseason moves than any other veteran to see what pieces are added to the Flyers’ puzzle.

After all, there is no sand being added to his hourglass. It continues to slowly fade away the longer he goes without winning a Stanley Cup.
Shotscore will be pissed, but one more year of Timonen should be beneficial. Doesnt seem like he is going anywhere.

Closed Thread