HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2011, 02:26 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I'm liking everything I've read about Scheifele...he fits the current Ranger profile, and his offense seems to be on the upswing. Ideally I'd like to move up for Strome or Zibanejad, but, I'd be content taking Scheifele at #15.
That's pretty much me too. I'll add Puempel as a wild card if he's there at 15 given the injury.

In the unlikely event that we move back instead of forward, I like Jensen.

Don't like Biggs and only want McNeill if we stay where we are and all of Strome, Zibanejad, Scheifele and Puempel are gone in a 2010-like run on forwards.

EDIT: I like Khokhlachev at 15 as well, but I just don't see it given the team's stated interest in "western Canadian types" at last year's draft.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 05-11-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old
05-11-2011, 02:28 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I don't buy it. Teams in that range need help now, and most of those teams 5-10 have deep prospect pools, adding high end picks/NHL ready players makes more sense than gaining an extra 2nd rounder in a draft not too many seem to be too keen on.
I'm inclined to agree. The only way I see a team trading back is if they get the team paying up to seriously overpay. So I think the draft value chart goes out the window...particularly in a weak draft.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:40 PM
broadwayblue

The hockey writers have us taking McNeill or Scheifele with Khokhlachev as a wildcard. then Rask or Grimaldi in the 2nd. I'd love Grimaldi in the 2nd...but I don't see him being there.

Rangers Draft Preview

Old
05-11-2011, 02:59 PM
corydd7

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2011
If you click the name of the player you get a pretty good short scouting report.
They have the rangers taking Rask and Nieto in the second. I see alot of people dont really want McNeill but he would bring something the Rangers dont have, a NA power center which in the Atlantic division is something that is very usefull. I think AA is great in his own zone but he's not a grinder or a physical presence which McNeill could be. The question is do you take a guy who's ceiling may only be a 20-25 guy in the first round. In this draft I would...........I love his grit, thats how you win in the playoffs and he fits the Torts mold to a T.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

How do I put a stop to this talk about Mark Mcneil not having the greatest offensive abilities?

I'll just say this - 24 points his last 13 games of the season. The most important time of year too, right?

Old
05-11-2011, 03:34 PM
SomE

Quote:
How do I put a stop to this talk about Mark Mcneil not having the greatest offensive abilities?

I'll just say this - 24 points his last 13 games of the season. The most important time of year too, right?
There's more to offensive abilities than good junior numbers.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
It still proves during the playoff stretch he was counted on and came through like a champ on a team full of chumps. Points are part of that, it means something, I didn't say it meant everything.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:42 PM
corydd7

Quote:

Well.......what do you project out of him? I have only watched a little of him but from most scouts and what ive seen he is a Jordan Staal type which ill take all day but not a PPG player. Also you are the guy who smashed me for wanting Forbort last year and said there was no chance we would go defence. Where is my apology? Kidding of course and I enjoy all the post from you regulars on the draft. Hopefully I can chime in a little more this year. Also Sting did a bunch of player profiles for the draft last year is that going to happen again? I really enjoyed that as well as others im sure.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:47 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post

There is also more to offensive ability than flashy dangles and cross-ice passes. McNeill has a nose for the net, quick hands in tight, and a hard accurate shot.

He's a well rounded player. I've been saying Backes-light for a while now. Sure he may never hit 90 points but I would take a potential 30 goal 60-70pt physical player every day of the week.

05-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydd7 View Post
Well.......what do you project out of him? I have only watched a little of him but from most scouts and what ive seen he is a Jordan Staal type which ill take all day but not a PPG player. Also you are the guy who smashed me for wanting Forbort last year and said there was no chance we would go defence. Where is my apology? Kidding of course and I enjoy all the post from you regulars on the draft. Hopefully I can chime in a little more this year. Also Sting did a bunch of player profiles for the draft last year is that going to happen again? I really enjoyed that as well as others im sure.
First lets address Jordan Staal. 23 yrs old, he was averaging out to be a 60 point player, at 23 yrs old. For perspective - Getzlaf at 23: 58 points. Kesler at 23: 37 points.

Though I didnt say "No" chance, I apologize for last year, Mcilrath I never saw coming, frankly cause it was a terrible top ten pick, but thats opinion....

The NYR organization spent countless hours scouting 4 forwards in the CHL, I figured they could have a shot at one of them.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:58 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
There is also more to offensive ability than flashy dangles and cross-ice passes. McNeill has a nose for the net, quick hands in tight, and a hard accurate shot.

He's a well rounded player. I've been saying Backes-light for a while now. Sure he may never hit 90 points but I would take a potential 30 goal 60-70pt physical player every day of the week.
There is also more to offensive ability than having a nose for the net, quick hands in tight, and a hard accurate shot.

u c wat i did thar?

Old
05-11-2011, 04:24 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
There is also more to offensive ability than having a nose for the net, quick hands in tight, and a hard accurate shot.

u c wat i did thar?
Not really, what's your point?

I'm only arguing that you don't have to look "pretty" to be an offensive contributor in the NHL.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:25 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Not really, what's your point?

I'm only arguing that you don't have to look "pretty" to be an offensive contributor in the NHL.
And he's saying that you need more than just to be able to drive the net and shoot good to be able to score in the NHL. If so Brian Boyle would be a 30g scorer consistently.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

I don't think half of these people know or understand what Backes is/does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
And he's saying that you need more than just to be able to drive the net and shoot good to be able to score in the NHL. If so Brian Boyle would be a 30g scorer consistently.
But in the end our objective should be to get the best hockey player, not the best scorer, which is NYRfan444's point.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:32 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Please, quote where I said anything close to that...and thanks for the insight.

McNeill is not extremely flashy, but he still potted 32 + 49 in the WHL, the most physical and defensive part of the CHL. He did it on a team where he was the offensive driver...he wasnt cashing in on rebounds and perfect passes non-stop. He is a David Backes / Dustin Brown style PF, players who were similarly dismissed in their draft years.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

THN compared McNeil to Bobby Ryan.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:40 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'm not disagreeing with you buddy, calm down, all i'm saying is that being able to drive the net and shoot doesn't necessarily mean you'll be successful in the majors. Especially for a big boy.

I'd take David Backes any day of the week. However, with the way this team is right now i'd personally take the dangler who scores more points if we had the choice. However, with this draft we really don't so I have no problem with McNeill, besides it giving us too many "Mc's" in the system.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with you buddy, calm down, all i'm saying is that being able to drive the net and shoot doesn't necessarily mean you'll be successful in the majors. Especially for a big boy.

I'd take David Backes any day of the week. However, with the way this team is right now i'd personally take the dangler who scores more points if we had the choice. However, with this draft we really don't so I have no problem with McNeill, besides it giving us too many "Mc's" in the system.
That's a problem. If you think this June's pick will matter to this team now, you're already making a mistake.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:48 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
That's a problem. If you think this June's pick will matter to this team now, you're already making a mistake.
I doubt our team changes its entire identity over the course of a few years considering many of our prospects are also in the tough guy role. When I say the team I also mean our prospect pool. The only guy who may be projected to a top 6 position who's not a big mean guy is Thomas. We lack players who play the "european" style.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I doubt our team changes its entire identity over the course of a few years considering many of our prospects are also in the tough guy role. When I say the team I also mean our prospect pool. The only guy who may be projected to a top 6 position who's not a big mean guy is Thomas. We lack players who play the "european" style.
You're right, what could possibly happen in 3 years ?

Ask any Ranger fan who has seen more than 10 or 12 Ranger teams and get back to me

Old
05-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
THN compared McNeil to Bobby Ryan.
I don't see it. I'm still sticking with my Kesler comparison. I think Ryan is supremely talented offensively, but doesn't have the grit that McNeil can bring to the table.

I like McNeil ahead of Scheifele, but it's pretty close for me. However, I think a team ahead of us will gamble on McNeil, so a decision may very well be moot in the end.

Old
05-11-2011, 07:36 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
First lets address Jordan Staal. 23 yrs old, he was averaging out to be a 60 point player, at 23 yrs old. For perspective - Getzlaf at 23: 58 points. Kesler at 23: 37 points.

Though I didnt say "No" chance, I apologize for last year, Mcilrath I never saw coming, frankly cause it was a terrible top ten pick, but thats opinion....

The NYR organization spent countless hours scouting 4 forwards in the CHL, I figured they could have a shot at one of them.
Out of curiosity, who were the 4 forwards?

Old
05-11-2011, 07:37 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't see it. I'm still sticking with my Kesler comparison. I think Ryan is supremely talented offensively, but doesn't have the grit that McNeil can bring to the table.

I like McNeil ahead of Scheifele, but it's pretty close for me. However, I think a team ahead of us will gamble on McNeil, so a decision may very well be moot in the end.
They both definately sound intriguing.

Old
05-11-2011, 07:39 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Why do we need guys to play the European style? We need guys that can score, regardless of how they do it.

Old
05-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
Why do we need guys to play the European style? We need guys that can score, regardless of how they do it.
Agreed. We need a Getzlaf-esque power forward. We don't do well trying to play a "cute" offensive style. We need to stick it to teams with force.

I'm not advocating drafting by size either, but a mix of size and skill would be nice.

Closed Thread