HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Emelin close to signing 1-year deal with Habs

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLance View Post
He's big enough. Chelios wasn't the biggest guy either but he had a presence. Not saying this guy is gonna be Chris, just saying you can have an on ice presence without being 6'4" and 230 lbs
He's listed at 6'2" 223lbs on the IIHF website, that puts him well above average size.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:09 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He's listed at 6'2" 223lbs on the IIHF website, that puts him well above average size.
Well above average size on this team. I think the average NHLer is 6'1" or something.

Anyway, this is exciting news.. though I think I've heard the same "news" before and here we are...

Old
05-11-2011, 03:10 PM
7th Player

There needs to be a "shot" presence on the PP for the Habs PP to work (Souray, Schneider, Streit, MAB, Wiz). We all saw last year before the arrival of MAB how the PP was going nowhere.

Subban isn't a shot presence although he can shoot. Weber neither.

Habs need to sign Wiz. That's good asset management (reminds me of Pierre McGuire lol). They have to stop letting go of talented players for nothing.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:15 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Player View Post
There needs to be a "shot" presence on the PP for the Habs PP to work (Souray, Schneider, Streit, MAB, Wiz). We all saw last year before the arrival of MAB how the PP was going nowhere.

Habs need to sign Wiz. That's good asset management (reminds me of Pierre McGuire lol). They have to stop letting go of talented players for nothing.

I don't think I really agree with that, Subban scored what 14 goals in his rookie year, he was also clocked at 99mph during the habs skills comp, also Weber isn't there yet but once he learns how to get his shots off faster and thru traffic he will be, he was clocked at 99 as well. that being said i still want to keep wiz

Old
05-11-2011, 03:18 PM
MarkovsKnee

About freakin' time. I hope he's as good as everyone says he is. We need size and nastiness on our blueline.

Good move by Gauthier. Good-bye Hamerlik.

Old
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
I don't think I really agree with that, Subban scored what 14 goals in his rookie year, he was also clocked at 99mph during the habs skills comp, also Weber isn't there yet but once he learns how to get his shots off faster and thru traffic he will be, he was clocked at 99 as well. that being said i still want to keep wiz
But PK didn't start scoring until later in the year when he was paired with Wiz on the PP.

Old
shiram

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
You have to recall just how much Subban improved on his shot this year as well, how he used to telegraph his shot so much, and did not pick his time right. I think if you have Markov feeding him crisp passes, Subban can put the mustard on them quite handily.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:30 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:

Emelin, actually, has a great shot and he's left-handed... he could do well with Markov.

But what we need more than a good shot, is a good physical stay-at-home defenceman to play with Markov... Wiz doesn't fill this need.

I hope we'll have Emelin and Markov signed to new contracts next week.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:30 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

Subban isn't a shot presence? He scored more goals than Streit did in his best year with us, and Streit scored a bunch of those goals playing at forward. Subban scored more freakin goals than Wisniewski has in his past TWO seasons!

Subban 2010-2011: 9 PP goals
Streit 2007-2008: 7 PP goals
Wisniewski 2010-2011: 7 PP goals (4 with Habs)
MAB 2009-2010: 7 PP goals (pro-rated to 77 games like Subban played, 9 PP goals).

Anyways, that's neither here nor there this is a thread about Emelin. I'm excited to see what he can bring to the table, I think if his game can translate well to the NHL we are going to benefit from his ability to make the game tougher for the opposition with his heavy hits and aggressive style of play. He seems to have a bit of offense ability too, might be an option for the PP.

To me the timing is perfect to try and bring him over. Nothing to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
But PK didn't start scoring until later in the year when he was paired with Wiz on the PP.
Was it because of the Wiz or was it just natural progression in his game? Maybe both. We don't know for sure. What I do know for sure is everytime we tried Wisniewski-Plekanec or Wisniewski-Hamrlik as a PP pairing it was absolutely garbage and everytime Subban played with Wisniewski all of a sudden they we're one of the best D PP pairings in the league. I realise that Wisniewski shot is a deterrant to over commit to Subban, but let's also not forget Markov is no slouch in this situation either. He did have more goals than Streit in 07-08. Of course Markov would have to adapt to playing the right point, which would take away that diagonal one-timer option to Cammalleri. But he is a very savvy player, he can adapt to that, and it's not difficult to switch sides on the fly to open up the diagonal pass either.

So let me ask you again, was it because of Wisniewski or because of progression in his game?

(for the record, I want Wisniewski re-signed even with Markov&Emelin in the line up. So don't take this as a hate post)

Old
05-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:

Subban is rapidly becoming an outstanding "shot presence." Weber has the potential to be one too. Neither of them are Souray or Chara quality but both can launch it in the 98-100 MPH range. Subban's already comparable to Wiz as a shooter, IMO>

Old
05-11-2011, 03:39 PM
7th Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Subban isn't a shot presence? He scored more goals than Streit did in his best year with us, and Streit scored a bunch of those goals playing at forward. Subban scored more freakin goals than Wisniewski has in his past TWO seasons!

Subban 2010-2011: 9 PP goals
Streit 2007-2008: 7 PP goals
Wisniewski 2010-2011: 7 PP goals (4 with Habs)
MAB 2009-2010: 7 PP goals (pro-rated to 77 games like Subban played, 9 PP goals).

Anyways, that's neither here nor there this is a thread about Emelin. I'm excited to see what he can bring to the table, I think if his game can translate well to the NHL we are going to benefit from his ability to make the game tougher for the opposition with his heavy hits and aggressive style of play. He seems to have a bit of offense ability too, might be an option for the PP.

To me the timing is perfect to try and bring him over. Nothing to lose.
Agree

Thing with Subban is he's much more than JUST a shot presence. Yes he can shoot, which technically makes him a shot presence but he could also move the puck really well. What made him so dangerous with Wiz was that both could shoot and both could move the puck. Great asset to have imo.

Maybe, I just don't want to see Wiz go. lol

Old
05-11-2011, 03:43 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

1. Is it Yemelin or Emelin?
2. Is it 6'0 like it say's on wikipeidia, or 6'2 like it says on IIHF?
3. Where would this guy be ranked on our current Defence. I doubt he's better than Markov or PK. Is he better than Wiz?

Old
05-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
1. Is it Yemelin or Emelin?
2. Is it 6'0 like it say's on wikipeidia, or 6'2 like it says on IIHF?
3. Where would this guy be ranked on our current Defence. I doubt he's better than Markov or PK. Is he better than Wiz?
Emelin in French and Russian, Yemelin in English

6'0, 187 lbs is his draft height and weight. It's been what, 7 years? He's 6'1.5 223lbs now

Old
05-11-2011, 03:54 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
and sign Jagr for 2 millions

Gionta-Richards-Pacioretty
Jagr-Plekanec-Cammalleri
Desharnais-Eller-Kostitsyn
Pyatt-White-Darche

Markov-Wiz
Subban-Gorges
Emelin-Gill

Weber

dream world I love you
love at first sight does exist!

Old
05-11-2011, 03:56 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Agree

Thing with Subban is he's much more than JUST a shot presence. Yes he can shoot, which technically makes him a shot presence but he could also move the puck really well. What made him so dangerous with Wiz was that both could shoot and both could move the puck. Great asset to have imo.

Maybe, I just don't want to see Wiz go. lol
Your right, maybe I mis-interpreted your original post.

The fact they both carry heavy shots has kept the other team's penalty killing honest. Alone they we're alright, but it was evident as soon as one of the two was placed with one of Hamrlik/Plekanec/Spacek/Picard and to a lesser extent Weber that they we're being seriously comitted to. There was no shot presence from those guys at all. It's one of the reasons Kaberle's career is almost falling apart and we shut down the Bruins PP so well, the guy just never shoots (which is sad because he's got a very accurate, albeit not hard, shot).

Subban-Wisniewski
Markov-Emelin/Weber

Subban-Markov
Wisniewski-Emelin/Weber

Either way.. I am comfortable with this.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:07 PM
The Right Price

Great news, hopefully it's for real this time.

That'll leave us with
- Markov
- Subban
- Gill
- Gorges
- Spacek
- Weber
- Emelin

Lets trade Spacegoat and our D is cheap and excellent at the same time.

Then go get Laich atleast.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:29 PM
NewHabsEra*

Personally I think Spacek is tradable, last year contract, respected vet in the league.. I think he is movable but if ever he isnt, I think Gauthier will buy him out, he just doesnt fit in the picture anymore..

I think our 7 defensemen are gonna be: Markov Wiz Subban Emelin Gorges Weber Gill

Markov Emelin/Weber

Wiz Subban

Gorges Gill

Old
05-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Ross MacLochness

Love it if we bring him over. No downside.

Never expected him to come over so it feels good to gain a promising asset/ prospect on defense for free. Eases the pain of the McDonagh ****-up.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:41 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Personally I think Spacek is tradable, last year contract, respected vet in the league.. I think he is movable but if ever he isnt, I think Gauthier will buy him out, he just doesnt fit in the picture anymore..

I think our 7 defensemen are gonna be: Markov Wiz Subban Emelin Gorges Weber Gill

Markov Emelin/Weber

Wiz Subban

Gorges Gill
He signed after he was 35. You cannot buy him out to create cap space. You only save real dollars, but not anything against the cap. Its there unless hes traded. Thats the only way.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:45 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Pierre Mcguire just said that the deal is as good as done. Said he'd be a solid #3 d-man for the habs.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
05-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Pierre Mcguire just said that the deal is as good as done. Said he'd be a solid #3 d-man for the habs.
Still not gonna believe it until he wears the habs jersey.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:51 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Where did he say this?

Old
05-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Papa Bear

Quote:

No shot presence?
Subban game 7 goal

Old
05-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Ironic that this happens now that the Habs have enough D depth that they don't desperately need him.

Still -- every indication is that he's a good one and anything that keeps us from seeing Mara or Sopel on the roster is a good thing.
Depth at D? I'd compare it to having a closet full of men's suits with frayed cuffs. Besides a nasty disposition (I'm sure the Bruins fans will love him for it) he'll bring much needed youth.

Old
05-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Could he be our Enforcer as well ?

Closed Thread