HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Emelin close to signing 1-year deal with Habs

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2011, 05:07 PM
katatoniak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Could he be our Enforcer as well ?
No, he doesn't fight a lot.

Old
05-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Enforcers are dumb anyway.

He's a tough, hard hitter. That's way more effective than an enforcer. He'll make our defense a lot less soft, which was the issue. No one fights in the playoffs anyway.

Old
05-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
No... Not at all.

Old
05-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Enforcers are dumb anyway.

He's a tough, hard hitter. That's way more effective than an enforcer. He'll make our defense a lot less soft, which was the issue. No one fights in the playoffs anyway.

To be fair, he wasn't really ready, but he's far from tough in the fighting sense.

Old
05-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Roxor

Send a message via MSN to Roxor
Can't believe this could actually be happenning. Year after year, we've been here talking about him possibly coming over, and then getting pissed at him for staying over in russia (i felt the same thing with korneev, a while back).

Now, for the 1st time, i'm actually optimistic about him signing here. I'm pretty sure he'll be a reliable d-man for us next year. Just hope he'll be able to bring some much needed toughness in our back end.

And like someone else said here, i think it confirms that markov is back too.

great news!

Old
05-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxor View Post
Can't believe this could actually be happenning. Year after year, we've been here talking about him possibly coming over, and then getting pissed at him for staying over in russia (i felt the same thing with korneev, a while back).

Now, for the 1st time, i'm actually optimistic about him signing here. I'm pretty sure he'll be a reliable d-man for us next year. Just hope he'll be able to bring some much needed toughness in our back end.

And like someone else said here, i think it confirms that markov is back too.

great news!
Sadly it means that the Wiz is out unless we can unload spacegoat

Old
05-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

but... but... MAG made an offhand tweet that Gauthier is too lazy to sign Russians...

Old
05-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

He isn't signed yet.

I might be mistaken, but I believe Yemelin doesn't speak English, so they'll need a russian to translate. Could mean Marky will be back too.

Old
05-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He isn't signed yet.

I might be mistaken, but I believe Yemelin doesn't speak English, so they'll need a russian to translate. Could mean Marky will be back too.
Everything that PG has done in the Media make's it pretty clear that Markov will be back next year. As well as Markov wanting to play in Montreal and live in Canada. I think that he could take a 3-4 year deal at a discount to stay in Montreal.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Roxor

Send a message via MSN to Roxor
Quote:
Everything that PG has done in the Media make's it pretty clear that Markov will be back next year. As well as Markov wanting to play in Montreal and live in Canada. I think that he could take a 3-4 year deal at a discount to stay in Montreal.
Everything around 5m and under would be amazing, a great discount

Old
05-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Andros777

Quote:
His contract is already a "discount".

Old
05-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Sadly it means that the Wiz is out unless we can unload spacegoat
It does suck, but maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Maybe this means that Weber ends up sticking with the team as the 6th/7th d-man. It may take another year of seasoning but i really think Weber can be a big shot PP guy. Subban improved leaps and bounds over the year, and though I think he has the ability to learn quicker than Weber, I think it's only a matter of time before Weber becomes a real threat out there. He'll probably not be as physical as Wizniewski, but lets face it, the Wiz was never a real force to begin with. Here's what i could envision come game 1:

Markov-Emelin
Subban-Weber
Gill-Gorges
Spacek

First Pair: The easiest way to learn Emelin to the ways of the NHL is to pair him with another Russian. eventually they could split up omce he gets comfortable, but this seems like a good idea to me.

Second Pair: Subban is going to be a Norris Trophy candidate, i don't care what anyone says. I'd rather put him with Gill here, but i think he's capable of taking the role of defensive d-man in this pairing, thus taking a bit of pressure off of Weber.

Third pairing: This could easily be the best defensive third pairing in the league next year. Nuff' said.

Ideally this defense would be perfect if say Weber were bigger and more physical, but no team has a perfect D. What I love about this D though is that it will be much faster than last year and a lot cheaper. For those who think it will be lacking offense with the loss of Hammer and Wiz, i wouldn't worry much. A full year of Subban and Markov will more than make up for it, along with a more seasoned Weber and the addition of Emelin. And with the money we save here, we'll able to lock up a guy like Laich or Joel Ward as well, which would really solidify our top 9.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:21 PM
DJ Breadman

If we sign this guy we are def going to need a fighter, PK is one of the most hated players in the league and this guy with his dirty hits will quickly become one, now personally I love it, but it just means more games like that boston game when they were jumping habs players who were non fighters and beating them up. Def gonna need a scrapper, Rupp, Konopka, Eager are all fighters who can take a regular shift, I would take either one in a heart beat

Old
05-11-2011, 06:23 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Pierre Mcguire just said that the deal is as good as done. Said he'd be a solid #3 d-man for the habs.
Wow thats awesome! Can't wait to see how good he actually is...

But I don't want to set my expectations on him being a no3 right away (or ever). Even a 5th or 6th defensemen needs to be pretty damn good, I don't think he'll be able to replace Hamrlik unless we're extremely lucky.

Markov-Emelin
Gill-Subban
Gorges-Wisniewski

Weber-Spacek

?

Or maybe take away Gill.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Andros777

I just hope he ends up being an exciting player who will run Brad Marchand a lot.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:27 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
I just hope he ends up being an exciting player who will run Brad Marchand a lot.
Emelin is going to Ulf Samuelsson Lucic.

Book it.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Bieber fever

I still don't get why everyone wants to trade spacegoat ? Yes he sucks , but he can still do the job as a 5th D.......it's a high price for a 5th D , but since it's his last years, he's the insurance we will have enough money next year to keep Subban and Price.

Markov-Emelin (communication)
Gorges-Subban
Spacek-Wizz
Webber

3 good lines

Old
05-11-2011, 06:30 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Forget Marchand if Lucic keeps skating with his head down it's going to be lights out Lucy if Emelin catches him.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Honestly, i think just the threat of his big hitting style will keep teams more in check against us. One issue i have with our team is not that we have no enforcer, but that we're too gentlemanly. I could care less if we lose every fight we get into, as long as the other team's smaller players are at least worried that they might get run over from time to time. I think Emelin brings that dimension. The fact that he's also a solid puck mover and a decent shot (better than Hammer, Gill and Gorges anyway) is just icing on the cake.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:48 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Book it.
Lmao

It's a fact Emelin will piss the Bruins off, just for that, the habs should sign him.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Dean Ambrose
I AM A MERCENARY

vCash: 133
Year after year this always comes up, but I'm actually feeling it happening this time! All of this news is great, and it's really getting my excited for next season! Our defense will be a lot less softer with Emelin on the squad.

Old
05-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

If he signs with the Habs and is here only for the NHL, this means one of Spacek or Gorges will be traded. Too many dmen who are 6'0 or under. Markov, Subban, Gorges, Weber, Spacek.

Wiz and Emelin are both 6 or under.

We'll need to get bigger on D. With Emelin added, I expect only Markov and Subban being safe at staying, and one or two of Spacek, Gorges and Weber to be traded.

Old
05-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Book it.
Maybe not to that extent but the guy is nasty and plays dirty enough that for once the opponents may have to worry about the sore loser cheap shot or at least think about a revenge possibility. I mean right now if you take out Cammalleri with a late hit resulting in injury the worst you have to worry about is the Habs powerplay. If Emelin signs and manages to adapt to the point he can play Martin D, the opponent will have the fear of a revenge cheapshot.

Old
05-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
I still don't get why everyone wants to trade spacegoat ? Yes he sucks , but he can still do the job as a 5th D.......it's a high price for a 5th D , but since it's his last years, he's the insurance we will have enough money next year to keep Subban and Price.

Markov-Emelin (communication)
Gorges-Subban
Spacek-Wizz
Webber

3 good lines
Markov 6'0
Subban 6'0
Gorges 6'0
Emelin 6'0
Spacek 5'11
Wiz 5'11
Weber 5'11

You don't see a problem here?

Old
05-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

from the international tourneys I've seen, he reminds me alot of kasparitis, which cant be a bad thing.

You gotta go into training camp with the mindset that emelin is on a tryout, because there's no guarantee that he will stick. The picture on D just got a bit cloudier imo, stay tuned.

Closed Thread