HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Is McLellan doing a good job?

View Poll Results: Is Todd McLellan doing a good job as a coach?
Yes, he's great. 33 47.14%
No, he is being out-coached. 14 20.00%
He's average 23 32.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-11-2011, 05:26 PM
dwood16

vCash: 500
Is McLellan doing a good job?

Just curious to what fans think of his coaching performance thus far.

Here's some of the criteria I think should be used in judging him.

1. Matchups: Especially in the playoffs, is he getting the right guys out there at the right time... is he exploiting the other coaches at home? Should Wallin be on the ice at the same time as Datsyuk?

2. Strategy/system: This one is huge. Is the breakout strategy working for the group he has? The power-play? Penalty kill? Defensive system? Maybe you think the team should go to a trap.. or execute more points from the slot..idk.

3. Motivation: Is getting his all from the players? I know he can only do so much with this group but this is still something people talk about when it comes to coaching.

4. Lines: This one is pretty important imo.

..and whatever else you'd like to add.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:32 PM
GCM
Stork

McLellan is doing a fantastic job from my outside perspective.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:36 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Grübermeister

I don't think anyone other than Babcock, Trotz or Bylsma could do more with this team's up-and-down play style. Perhaps my field of view is narrow because I do not pay attention to the other leagues or assistant coaches, but that's my take.

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:36 PM
hockeyball

Let's put this in perspective here.

He's being out-coached, no doubt about it.

I've had my issues with him, and been very vocal about that.

However, let's remember, he's being out-coached BY THE BEST COACH IN HOCKEY.

That's not really something to be ashamed of.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:37 PM
WTFetus

Matt Shaw and Trent Yawney suck.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:37 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
He hasn't been amazing but he isn't the reason we've lost games. I'd say if he had Detroit's team he would be winning, so the blame falls more on the players on the ice. And yeah, Babcock is kind of a good coach too.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:40 PM
SJeasy

Scale of 1-10, 6. He is being outcoached by Babcock. McLellan is stubborn and it may be necessary with this team, but he has taken it to extremes (eg 1-1-2 PK). Being outcoached by Babcock is not a huge black mark. Babcock is one of the top 3 strategist/motivators in the NHL. I highly doubt that DW could replace McLellan with a better coach for the task at hand. IMO, the biggest failing on McLellan's side is strategy but at least he is willing to experiment which is a good sign. He remade the Sharks style of play in one season, but it may not be as finely tuned as it should be. Depending on his input into personnel decisions, there may be some issue there.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:41 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
i think he's doing a great job. he's just matched up against a better coach.

he has to play Wallin, and the 4th line sucks so he barely plays them. as he should.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:41 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
He's being out-coached, but a lot of people get out-coached by Babcock. I am more annoyed that for another playoff season we've watched a highly ranked powerplay absolutely disappear. I feel like this has happened every year post-lockout, and I keep hoping someday a coach will fix it. Maybe it's the players fault...

Also, Yawney sucks.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:43 PM
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn

he's doing well, but I think he could be doing better.

I did not like the 1-2-2 forecheck last night, and his line combos last night were a little weird. His insistence on rolling 2 and maybe 3 lines is irritating beyond belief.

However, he's a good coach...I just wish he had a better support staff to push him a little more and challenge him if need be when things are not working (like the PK all year)

Old
05-11-2011, 05:47 PM
dwood16

Yeah I'm on the fence. I like him a lot as far as how he deals with this team and how he tells it like it is for the most part... but I hate how long it takes him to make adjustments!

For example, the penalty kill! I did like when he (at one this year while the team was playing bad) said there was only so much he could do to motivate this team, the players have to go out and play. I felt kinda bad for him for a sec there.

..but let's not forget, he's not being outcoached by Babcock only. It's happened before too. I still can't ever understand why he puts bad matchups on the ice consistently.

Old
05-11-2011, 05:50 PM
gonegonegone*

babcock is one of the best coaches in the league. babcock also has two guys named dats and liddy that are better than any player the sharks have ever had ever. babcock does not have a guy named marleau, who tries very hard to float and take shifts off while no one is looking. if u gave marleau to babcock, and we took dats (dats gets paid the SAME as marleau), this series would have been a sweep in our favor.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:51 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
He's being out-coached, but a lot of people get out-coached by Babcock. I am more annoyed that for another playoff season we've watched a highly ranked powerplay absolutely disappear. I feel like this has happened every year post-lockout, and I keep hoping someday a coach will fix it. Maybe it's the players fault...

Also, Yawney sucks.

For others, top notch offensive guys who are good with PP and probably should not be HC's: Francis (Carolina), Ramsay (Atlanta) and Richards (Minnesota).

NHL top coaches and that means strategists:
Carlyle - King of matchups
Babcock - motivator, strategy and matchups
Bylsma - strategy and motivator
Tippett - phenomenal trap and transition system
Trotz - strategist, developer of goalies and dmen, phenomenal trap and transition system
Lemaire - motivator, king of the trap (outmoded)

Old
05-11-2011, 05:52 PM
dwood16

BTW, can anyone explain to me why we are playing the oldest defence core ever and refuse to hit them? I mean seriously, do you think Detroit would have tied the series up if we were finishing checks and punishing them consistently?

Old
05-11-2011, 05:57 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Grübermeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
BTW, can anyone explain to me why we are playing the oldest defence core ever and refuse to hit them? I mean seriously, do you think Detroit would have tied the series up if we were finishing checks and punishing them consistently?
I'd like to know as well. At least Douglas was doing his best to punish Cleary for his speed. I commend him for that

Old
05-11-2011, 06:01 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Grübermeister

Man, if Trotz came on board, can you even imagine the amount of blinking going on between Patty, Boyle and him? I would go bonkers

Old
05-11-2011, 06:01 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
That is the issue of playing the 4th line. That is what they are there for. AV has been doing that to a tee with the Nucks. It is also because he uses the 3rd line for the same role. The Sharks don't have those type of players on their 3rd line with only Mitchell being a little along those lines.

Last edited by SJeasy: 05-11-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old
05-11-2011, 06:02 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Matt Shaw and Trent Yawney suck.
Bingo!

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 06:05 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
That is the issue of playing the 4th line. That is what they are there for. AV has been doing that to a tee with the Nucks.
Is there any particular reason he has no faith in our fourth line and it's performing so poorly? I don't remember our fourth line looking this bad in the reg season, you could always count on Nichol to throw hits and forecheck hard.

Haven't heard Drew say "You gotta love Scott Nichol," in what seems like an eternity.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 06:14 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
The non calling of timeouts in game 5 really pissed me off.

when it was 3-3 he should've called a time out.. especially after blowing a 2 goal lead.

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 06:14 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Is there any particular reason he has no faith in our fourth line and it's performing so poorly? I don't remember our fourth line looking this bad in the reg season, you could always count on Nichol to throw hits and forecheck hard.

Haven't heard Drew say "You gotta love Scott Nichol," in what seems like an eternity.
He need to match them with a top shutdown d pairing on the Sharks and they don't really have that with Murray/Boyle also being the top offensive pairing. They aren't truly shutdown. That is part one. Part two is that they are an afterthought for him. He gets hammered by his skilled guys for TOI and the easiest way to do that is cut the 4th line. He has been doing it all year. Then he gets to trying to give the 4th line guys the easiest matchups and from what I can see the opposition waits for it and pops their top guys on the ice. The 4th then scrambles to get to the bench or gets trapped in their zone. Because of this, they come on the ice ill-prepared. He needs to use them right after the top guys from the other team exit the ice. They have huge minus numbers because they are barely on the ice and the top guys from the other team score. It is being exacerbated in the playoffs as all teams raise their game.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:16 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
NHL top coaches and that means strategists:
Carlyle - King of matchups
Babcock - motivator, strategy and matchups
Bylsma - strategy and motivator
Tippett - phenomenal trap and transition system
Trotz - strategist, developer of goalies and dmen, phenomenal trap and transition system
Lemaire - motivator, king of the trap (outmoded)
If he keeps this up, I wouldn't hesitate putting Boucher up there as a strategist/motivator either. The Penguins/Lightning series was pretty darn good on a coaching level.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Fire Yawney.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 06:24 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
If he keeps this up, I wouldn't hesitate putting Boucher up there as a strategist/motivator either. The Penguins/Lightning series was pretty darn good on a coaching level.
I always wait on ratings until they show what they have at the NHL level. One year isn't really enough time. I am not sure that Boucher isn't using a tried and true system due to his defensive personnel. I am very open to his joining the ranks of top guys. Using tried and true usually gets exposed in the playoffs. The ability to adapt comes to the fore.

I also forgot about Lavi who is also very good as a manager. Lavi requires a strong leader on the team for success.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:34 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Lavi requires a strong leader on the team for success.
And good goaltending.

Laviolette and Bylsma's playoff runs do say a lot about their coaching though. Taking over a lottery team mid-season and taking them all the way to the Cup Finals (and in Bylsma's case actually winning) is pretty amazing. Not to mention Laviolette already won a cup with Carolina.