HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin close to signing 1-year deal with Habs

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Markov 6'0
Subban 6'0
Gorges 6'0
Emelin 6'0
Spacek 5'11
Wiz 5'11
Weber 5'11

You don't see a problem here?
Is the problem that Emelin is not actually 6'0''?

Most recent listings have him at 6'2'' 220+lbs.

Old
05-11-2011, 07:30 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Markov 6'0
Subban 6'0
Gorges 6'0
Emelin 6'0
Spacek 5'11
Wiz 5'11
Weber 5'11

Yes, clearly..

Emelin is 6'2 223lbs
http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/player11WM...2504198601.php
and
Gorges 6'1

Seriously though, do you really think Gorges is gone?
And if we find someone to take Spacek off our hands, I'll run naked in the streets

Old
05-11-2011, 07:32 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Markov 6'0
Subban 6'0
Gorges 6'0
Emelin 6'0
Spacek 5'11
Wiz 5'11
Weber 5'11

Yes I see an issue. They are too big the forwards are much smaller

Old
05-11-2011, 08:03 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Markov 6'0
Subban 6'0
Emelin 6'2
Gorges 6'1
Gill 6'6
Spacek 5'11
Weber 5'11

I really dont see a problem?

Old
05-11-2011, 08:06 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespy View Post
Yes, clearly..

Emelin is 6'2 223lbs
http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/player11WM...2504198601.php
and
Gorges 6'1

Seriously though, do you really think Gorges is gone?
And if we find someone to take Spacek off our hands, I'll run naked in the streets
Thanks for the link, up until that I was under the impression that Emelin was 6' 187lbs. I feel alot more comfortable with him knowing he's actually a big boy...

Old
05-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Tuggy

Patrick Traverse - 6'4.

Being tall makes you a good player.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Markov 6'0
Subban 6'0
Gorges 6'0
Emelin 6'0
Spacek 5'11
Wiz 5'11
Weber 5'11

do you think 1 or 2 inches really matters?

If Subban, Gorges, Emelin were 6'2 instead of 6'0...and Spacek, Wiz and Weber were 6'1 instead of 5'11, you really think it would make a difference?

The only place that matters is on paper, when people can compare player vs. player...but on the ice, two inches don't matter.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:41 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Markov 6'0
Subban 6'0
Gorges 6'0
Emelin 6'0
Spacek 5'11
Wiz 5'11
Weber 5'11

When did size=success? Where were you in the 90s when Habs management thought the same way you did?

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 05-11-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Took out unnecessary flaming.
Old
05-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
do you think 1 or 2 inches really matters?

If Subban, Gorges, Emelin were 6'2 instead of 6'0...and Spacek, Wiz and Weber were 6'1 instead of 5'11, you really think it would make a difference?

The only place that matters is on paper, when people can compare player vs. player...but on the ice, two inches don't matter.
Yes, because I did mention wanting them to be just 1-2 inch higher.

Thanks for concluding my thoughts for me.

You need dmen who can push players around the net, in front of the net. Especially when playing against bigger forwards. 2 or 3 big Dmen are needed. And when I say big, it's at least 6'2 and preferably taller, like Gill, Sopel, Mara, ect.

As for your question, yes, 2 inches can make a difference for handling players who are on average 6'1 league-wide.

I've never been one to proclaim we need size, and I usually don't mind when it comes to forwards, but for defense. You need at least 2-3 big guys.

I corrected the wiki page now....

Old
05-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
When did size=success? Where were you in the 90s when Habs management thought the same way you did?
When did I say size=success???

Everything needs a balance, and having that many small players IS gonna create problems.

Instead of attacking me, why don't you try to actually use arguments to prove otherwise. Especially since two posts before the one you quoted, I mentioned WHY I think we need size.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 05-11-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Took out unnecessary flaming.
Old
05-11-2011, 08:46 PM
le_sean

Quote:

You need dmen who can push players around the net, in front of the net. Especially when playing against bigger forwards. 2 or 3 big Dmen are needed. And when I say big, it's at least 6'2 and preferably taller, like Gill, Sopel, Mara, ect.

As for your question, yes, 2 inches can make a difference for handling players who are on average 6'1 league-wide.

I've never been one to proclaim we need size, and I usually don't mind when it comes to forwards, but for defense. You need at least 2-3 big guys.
Pretty sure Subban did a fine job taking care of Lucic in the series. Big size difference there. It's not about size, it's about desire to win battles and being good with your stick. Hamrlik is big and he looked like a clown out there. Sopel was pretty much a non factor with his size too.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Patrick Traverse - 6'4.

Thanks for the simplistic and pendatic reactionary post.

How do you think Chara would be playing at 5'9 ?

Better luck next time

Old
05-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Picaroon

Quote:

Size is irrelevant. What you really want is strength. Pouliot is what? 6'2"? But he can barely stand up straight.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Pretty sure Subban did a fine job taking care of Lucic in the series. Big size difference there. It's not about size, it's about desire to win battles and being good with your stick. Hamrlik is big and he looked like a clown out there. Sopel was pretty much a non factor with his size too.
You do realize you're talking about one of the league's next best defenseman.

You can't have 6 Lidstroms on your squad.

It's funny how everyone reacts, yet don't realize that out of the 3 defensemen the Habs got through trades this year, 2 of the 3 were really big Ds, Sopel and Mara.

Guess Gauthier manages like the 90s Habs....

Old
05-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonhab View Post
Size is irrelevant. What you really want is strength. Pouliot is what? 6'2"? But he can barely stand up straight.
Size is irrelevant on case per case basis.

It becomes relevant on average, as you need different types of players to do different things. It's a question of balance. I don't want big guys all around, as much as I don't want small guys all around, but contrarily to others, I do understand the need for a couple of big bodies around the net, for many reasons.

BTW, Pouliot is a forward, stick to Ds if you want to give examples, as forwards don't need to use their size as much, and league average is taller for Ds, smaller for forwards.

Why don't you talk of Sopel, Gill and Mara, and the reason why the Habs use them despite their seeming lack of offensive talent?

Old
05-11-2011, 08:57 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I really, really don't understand why people bring up the size of guys like Gill or Sopel, who probably threw about 2 hits between them all year with us. Do you guys even watch the players play, or just look at the height charts? I mean seriously. You don't win hockey games by being the tallest team.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:58 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Patrick Traverse - 6'4.

Who was worse? Laflamme or Traverse?

Old
05-11-2011, 08:59 PM
le_sean

Quote:
You do realize you're talking about one of the league's next best defenseman.

You can't have 6 Lidstroms on your squad.

It's funny how everyone reacts, yet don't realize that out of the 3 defensemen the Habs got through trades this year, 2 of the 3 were really big Ds, Sopel and Mara.

Guess Gauthier manages like the 90s Habs....
And look where it got the team.

One of the league best upcoming defenceman has nothing to do with the fact he's 6'0, which you mentioned as a negative earlier.

Two seasons ago on the run, the Habs had exactly 0 physical defencemen on the team. Unless you count Ryan O'Byrne, though he barely played. And don't say "well that's why they lost to the Flyers", because preventing goals was not the issue in that series, it was scoring goals.

The biggest issue on the backend is endurance and speed. They need to be able to get pucks first.

Old
05-11-2011, 09:06 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:

....NM

Old
05-11-2011, 09:06 PM
LastRide

This guy shgould be a solid D-Man for us. The only thing I don't like about Emelin is the enormous penalties he takes, and that he can't back up with his fists. He starts hitting guys from behind someone's going to knock him out like the video. This guy looks like he likes plowing people face first into the glass. Thats all we need is too add another 120 minutes in penalties. If it wasn't bad enough this year. Here's hoping the Habs score lots short handed.

Old
05-11-2011, 09:11 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

One of the league best upcoming defenceman has nothing to do with the fact he's 6'0, which you mentioned as a negative earlier.

Two seasons ago on the run, the Habs had exactly 0 physical defencemen on the team. Unless you count Ryan O'Byrne, though he barely played. And don't say "well that's why they lost to the Flyers", because preventing goals was not the issue in that series, it was scoring goals.

The biggest issue on the backend is endurance and speed. They need to be able to get pucks first.

yup...

and this year B have ONE D under 6'1, TB has one under 6'0, and VAN like the B have one D under 6'1... and look where it got them

unless you think our 6 D will be as good as PK, size will help... (usually) bigger players are stronger meaning they hit harder, they have a longer reach and arent as easily fatigued by the physical play... so yeah, PK's doing well at 6'0 but dont be naive enough to think it wouldnt help to have a slightly bigger D...

Old
05-11-2011, 09:12 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Thanks for the simplistic and pendatic reactionary post.

How do you think Chara would be playing at 5'9 ?

Better luck next time
This post=

Old
05-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I really, really don't understand why people bring up the size of guys like Gill or Sopel, who probably threw about 2 hits between them all year with us. Do you guys even watch the players play, or just look at the height charts? I mean seriously. You don't win hockey games by being the tallest team.
If you read my previous post, I has NOTHING to do with hitting players.

Seriously, you don't win without balance either. Reply when you get a bit more common sense, instead of using an exageration as an pathetic argument (tallest team in the league), especially since I already mention something called BALANCE, and yes teams that win have often the most balance of everything....

Quote:
Lame argument. They lost 3 games in OT. Won 3 in regulation. Sometimes the puck just doesn't bounce your way... oh, and no Markov doesn't help either But yeah, it was due to Mara, Sopel and Gill.... wasn't it because we had too many small forwards ?

Quote:
Where did I say it was a negative? Stop debating like a teenager and get a grip. Subban can handle what he can handle because he has talent. Wiz, Weber, Gorges and Spacek can't handle players like Subban does. So yes, it has everything to do with that. Your example is bad. I saw Wiz and Weber and Spacek get beaten one-on-one around the net and around the boards because the opposing players were much bigger.

Quote:
Two seasons ago on the run, the Habs had exactly 0 physical defencemen on the team. Unless you count Ryan O'Byrne, though he barely played.
Hamrlik does handle players around the net, so did Komi, so did OB. But again, doesn't mean it was the right players with the right balance of size.

Quote:
And don't say "well that's why they lost to the Flyers", because preventing goals was not the issue in that series, it was scoring goals.
Instead of trying to predict my reactions (far-off btw), why don't you go look at teams around the league, and come back to me when you find ONE team, just ONE team, that has JUST ONE player over 6'0 on defense and the rest are all 6'0 or under. PLease stick to this request, pleeeeaaase

Quote:
You need EVERYTHING when it comes to Ds. Hence the word balance.

Old
05-11-2011, 09:13 PM
habshound247

It is not about size, it's about how he uses it...

Old
05-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonhab View Post
See I disagree somewhat. You can have small dmen, if you they are complimented with some size on the other end. With nobody to hold up the rushing forwards these days, the smaller guys are taking a beating.

I'm not sure why everyone is jumping on Ozy so much on this, we have a small blueline.

Closed Thread