HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Patrick Roy - GM or Coach?

Old
05-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

vCash: 500
Some people are a little harsh on Patty, yes he's emotional and hes had some interesting situations in the minors but this guy wanted to win.

Definitely coach not GM, but I would try to see if hes willing to coach the dogs first and see how that goes.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:23 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Bring him in full control and throw that Gauthier wimp out the door.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 03:41 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
lol

he'd be the worst person to be coach or gm. the. worst.

an emotional, tantrum throwing diva? yeah, that's gonna go over well...

like it or not, martin is the best kind of person to coach this team: a coolness approaching that of the fonz, smarts, and the ability to not let anything rattle him.

the carbo experiment failed, not sure why some of you want to go back to that. or maybe you're just closet drama lamas

or at worst, try him in hamilton, see how it goes

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 06:35 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
lol

he'd be the worst person to be coach or gm. the. worst.

or at worst, try him in hamilton, see how it goes
lol

How can he be the worst, so worst that you felt you needed to say it twice but then you would put him in Hamilton? That makes absolutely no sense, if he is the worse like you claim, you shouldn't want him anywhere near the organization. Why would you want the worse near the organization?

Suggesting that you'd think its acceptable for him to be in Hamilton, to me means that he isn't the worst.

Would you want David Frost in Hamilton coaching our young players? If people, are truly the worst, you don't want them near your organization.

He probably isn't right for our organization but he would be far from the worst.

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:17 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
lol

How can he be the worst, so worst that you felt you needed to say it twice but then you would put him in Hamilton? That makes absolutely no sense, if he is the worse like you claim, you shouldn't want him anywhere near the organization. Why would you want the worse near the organization?

Suggesting that you'd think its acceptable for him to be in Hamilton, to me means that he isn't the worst.

Would you want David Frost in Hamilton coaching our young players? If people, are truly the worst, you don't want them near your organization.

He probably isn't right for our organization but he would be far from the worst.
because im willing to admit that im not omniscient and sometimes (rarely ) im wrong.

and i said: "at worst, try him in hamilton". at worst... say, the entire coaching staff in hamilton spontaneously combusts, or say, the 'dogs go on a 35 game-long losing streak and omgtheskyisfalling everybody but the bagman gets canned. or he lands, dressed in a superman outfit with goalie pads and by the power of his words, makes boyd a 150 goal-scorer. then yeah i guess, i mean the man can fly, hire him ffs!

if he was hired in hamilton tomorrow, i'd giggle, facepalm myself, brace for the incoming drama and be otherwise unmoved. he sucks, he gets fired, i give myself a gold star. he rocks, awesome, i admit im wrong and i move on.

now if he got a job in montreal, then i'd freak out, burn effigies and make angry posts!

i think he is the worst for the canadiens, yes, by a huge loltastic margin. but hamilton =/= montreal.

Old
05-11-2011, 07:21 AM
Protest the Hero

By the way, can anyone provide a record for his coaching career so far and a list of moves he's made as a GM, his coaching style etc.?

I agree with the person above, I'm not sure a guy yelling on the bench is what we want, but Martin's calm presence doesn't seem to get us any favours with the refs anyways.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post

...any particular reason?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:26 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Gilmour replacing Muller as assistant I could see, I think they'd share similar styles in communication and coaching.
And Muller coached at Queen's which is in Kingston, before coming to Montreal funny enough.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:53 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
By the way, can anyone provide a record for his coaching career so far and a list of moves he's made as a GM, his coaching style etc.?

I agree with the person above, I'm not sure a guy yelling on the bench is what we want, but Martin's calm presence doesn't seem to get us any favours with the refs anyways.
If you don't know his coaching style, what makes you assume he yells on the bench?

2005-06 Quebec Remparts QMJHL Head 65 51 12 0 2 0.8
2006-07 Quebec Remparts QMJHL Head 70 37 28 0 5 0.56
2007-08 Quebec Remparts QMJHL Head 70 38 28 0 4 0.57
2008-09 Quebec Remparts QMJHL Head 68 49 16 0 3 0.74
2009-10 Quebec Remparts QMJHL Head 68 41 20 0 7 0.65

Total GP 341 W 216 0.63 winning %

Old
05-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
If you don't know his coaching style, what makes you assume he yells on the bench?
An assumption based on his personality. It was more about having a coach showing his emotions on the bench in general as opposed to Martin's style. I laugh when i see Boudreau getting upset during games.

Quote:
2005-06 Quebec Remparts QMJHL Head 65 51 12 0 2 0.8
2006-07 Quebec Remparts QMJHL Head 70 37 28 0 5 0.56
2007-08 Quebec Remparts QMJHL Head 70 38 28 0 4 0.57
2008-09 Quebec Remparts QMJHL Head 68 49 16 0 3 0.74
2009-10 Quebec Remparts QMJHL Head 68 41 20 0 7 0.65

Total GP 341 W 216 0.63 winning %
Thanks, any opinion on his coaching style, offensive/defensive?

Old
05-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

...any particular reason?
My post was pretty clear. If I feel Gauthier is a wimp, that would mean Roy would be the opposite of that, right?

I would like Roy come in and clean up the stench of wusses this team has become in the last 15 years. We need to bring that fire back to this once great organization.

Old
05-11-2011, 09:22 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
My post was pretty clear. If I feel Gauthier is a wimp, that would mean Roy would be the opposite of that, right?

I would like Roy come in and clean up the stench of wusses this team has become in the last 15 years. We need to bring that fire back to this once great organization.
I totally agree that the clean up is needed.Don't know if Roy is the person to do it. PG and Jm aren't,that's for sure.

Quote:
Why did PG trade for Sopel,when he could have gotten Brewer for a 3rd and marginal prospect,like Tampa did. Oh yeah,we got Dawes,also

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:31 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Why did PG trade for Sopel,when he could have gotten Brewer for a 3rd and marginal prospect,like Tampa did. Oh yeah,we got Dawes,also
i mean, if you can bring that 20/20 hindsight you're always so proud of, then **** it, i'd hire you!

Old
05-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
I totally agree that the clean up is needed.Don't know if Roy is the person to do it. PG and Jm aren't,that's for sure.

Or someone cheap and physical like Sutton out in Anaheim.

Old
05-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Yeah because a "wimp" would trade his "playoff hero" and keep another goalie as #1 despite what most fans and the media were clamoring...good call!

Old
05-13-2011, 11:14 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Yeah because a "wimp" would trade his "playoff hero" and keep another goalie as #1 despite what most fans and the media were clamoring...good call!
One could argue that he's merely BG's patsy and we knew how highly BG thinks of Carey Price so he just did what he had to do to keep his superior happy.

Old
05-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
One could argue that he's merely BG's patsy and we knew how highly BG thinks of Carey Price so he just did what he had to do to keep his superior happy.
Or maybe he made the decision on his own, guess we'll never know.

Old
05-13-2011, 11:53 AM
juve

I would love to have Roy or anyone else as a coach. Martin reminds me too much like the former Italian coach Giovanni Trapattoni.They both have the same mind set, score one goal in the first 5 minutes and try to defend it for the rest of the game. Martin's system is Price, Price is the system...which is scary. If Price has an off game we lose.

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:36 PM
J Sawyer
Beamer Hearts VCR

Although my post got deleted, I am sticking with my answer of neither position.
The theatrics of it all would lead away from the on ice product. He'd be the French Brian Burke without the law degree and the experience.

J Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
...ok, don't let me get in the way of your conspiracy theories.

Old
05-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
This thread is really quite funny, because it was just a couple days ago I was thinking the EXACT same thing as Kimota does now. I was going to write this post explaining my rationale... So as easily as poosible... this is MY stance as to why it's time.

Gauthier is part of the same management core that hearkens back to the days of Andre Savard.
We have been on the same direction for about a decade now. Small, soft forwards, who are seemingly inept at scoring (espescially against bigger competition)...

Ask yourself this question... WHEN have the habs EVER not been the underdogs during Savard's tenure to now?

Other than that one miraculous season... when have we been a dynamite team to play against?
We rely on goaltending WAYYY to much, and it saves these goofs necks far too often for me to care for.

Now there is even reports saying that the one FANTASTIC first round selection we've had in nearly 25 years, wasn't even our first target... It was the flaky guy we got for Latendresse.
Granted, we've done OK at the draft table, and it has to be said we are awesome at finding later round gems...

IT is time for a NEW Philosophy in Montreal though... The one thing that can be said, is we are good at drafting Bottom 9 players (with special emphasis on BOTTOM 6),
But needs that clearly should have been addressed by now, are still being ignored. Big players @ forward of defence.
It has been made abundantly clear that Timmins CANNOT see a player's footspeed improving and where that will take said player's game.
He always goes for near ready made talent, that has skill, just needs to bulk up (of course they do! esp. when the habit is drafting consistently undersized players!)

I can respect the job that the management has done, our club is a long ways from the tail-end of the houle era... But we have never went as far to say that we have really done that era justice.

Teams have won cups, been dismantled, and reassembled, and are STILL icing better teams than we are (SHAME!) .

Not ONE GM tackled the big quality center we are looking for, not ONE GM properly assessed the size issue, heck... We more or less told Laraque that he was useless (I still dont think so), granted his code was BS, but failure to light a fire under that arse falls under a Management fail as well... So do the plethora of youngsters that have since made new destinations in the NHL & SUCCEEDED!
Something is rotten in the state of Hab-land... and it aint the cheese. It's the damn company.

Bid them adieu, and get St. Patrick on board. Truth be told, I would welcome him with open arms. He's had a very good run with the Remparts developing a tonne of talent there (in a league deemed the weakest of the 3 CHL leagues). He isnt for the soft at heart... (for gawdsakes, he sent HIS own SON to kick the piss out of the opposition! )
The thing that made Patrick the best, is the fact that he is slightly off kilt, like Charlie Sheen. I mean his autobiography, written by his father, is titled: "Winning. Nothing Else". (Great read btw)

The man understands hockey, and was proffessed as a spare COACH while he was here! Demers all the time mentions how Patrick would walk in and command a room. A coach needs that ability.
They HAVE to be fire-heads.

Gaut's and crew (all of them) should have been put to pasture after that whole Gainey taking over from Carbonneau then summer UFA debacle.
That was, to me their desperation move. They freakin' signed 2 of everybody! (am I the only one who sees this? )

2 diminutive snipers for wings,
trade for a solid 2 way threat, replacing the cheaper, slightly older but way loyal version we had in Koivu.
the defence was re-tooled HORRIFICALLY. We signed ALL Left handed defencemen, and left many defencemen trying to play their unnatural side (sometimes numbers being so far skewed as 5-1 LD - RD, or even the hated 6-0). This has been stupidly unnaceeptable to myself. Overpaying for MULTIPLE LHD is flat out, retarded.

So...
Asset Management ... Fail
Drafting for needs... Fail
Trading to fulfill needs... Fail.

Again... In no way am I saying they are the worst ever assembled... They DID have a good track record. However with any management crew, sometimes, they get so close to scenarios, that they can no longer see the issues.

We do need a ball-busting crew that is going to make people attempt to be the best they can be. No more nice-ties... no more Mr. Chara, or 'respectfully declines to answer for fear of answering to the NHL authority...'

Patrick would never have taken the Patches hit like Gaut's and crew did, and he would have been right to do so.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Here are the choices I have (for the short term, though):

1. Let him coach the Bulldogs
2. Have him coach the Habs goalies (even if it means Carey Price and his backup becoming butterfly goalies)

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
He enjoys wimp hockey.

Old
05-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyers View Post
Although my post got deleted, I am sticking with my answer of neither position.
The theatrics of it all would lead away from the on ice product. He'd be the French Brian Burke without the law degree and the experience.
He's been doing a stellar job as GM and coach with the Quebec Remparts slowly grooming these kids, selecting them and developing them. That's more than Serge Savard ever had for experience when he took over as Habs GM.

There's much more to Patrick than what people percieve.

Old
05-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Protest the Hero

Question for those that want him involved with the Habs;

Would you rather have him coach or GM?