HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

F Alexander Khokhlachev (2011, 40th overall, Boston)

Old
05-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
I like Khokhlachev as a prospect and think he has alot of the same traits of Dave Bolland offensively and grit. Needs work on his defensive game of course

I hope he is available when Hawks pick in 1st ,, I would be very happy if Hawks get him at draft

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:24 PM
rocketdan9

vCash: 500
Is Vladislav Namestnikov really better?

How did he only score 68 points in the regular season??

Khokhlachev from a few games i saw looks like another Ty Rattie. Lots of energy in his game and a nose for the net.

Namestnikov looks a little bit more relaxed but not as dynamic.

Khoklachev on some mocks is as high as 9th now. Namestnikov is anywhere between 17 -25

rocketdan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Raptactics29

The 2 are definitely close in terms of talent. I obviously an biased towards the London Knights and Vladislav but even if I wasn't I'd still like Namestnikov better. He put up solid numbers while playing on a very young and inconsistent London team. But I'm definitely a fan of both guys.

Raptactics29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:29 PM
rocketdan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptactics29 View Post
The 2 are definitely close in terms of talent. I obviously an biased towards the London Knights and Vladislav but even if I wasn't I'd still like Namestnikov better. He put up solid numbers while playing on a very young and inconsistent London team. But I'm definitely a fan of both guys.
whose game does he compare with in the nhl?? What is his weakness?

Old
05-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdan9 View Post
Ferrero Rocher. But who can blame him?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Raptactics29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdan9 View Post
Namestnikov's? To me I see a lot of Jordan Eberle in Namestnikov. Vlads 2 way game is very underrated, he's surprisingly gritty and isn't afraid to lean on you, he will not back away from a bigger opponent.. as a matter of fact he's more than likely to skate right at them. Namestnikov also has tremendous acceleration, balance in and out of traffic, and a great shot. His compete level shift to shift is pretty good too! In my opinion the biggest knock on him though is his consistency and his bonehead plays he makes once and a while. He's known for making a horrendous turnover here and there or tries to do way to much from time to time.. but his biggest flaws are all coachable and can be improved.

Raptactics29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
So is it a silent kh like Khudobin or Coke-la-chev? The latter is how the announcers in the video of the 4 goal game were saying his name.
Coke-la-chev is how everyone in Windsor was saying it all last season and his nickname in Windsor is Koko so I would assume it's not a silent Kh unless he just hasn't bothered to correct anyone.

Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:26 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Coke-la-chev is how everyone in Windsor was saying it all last season and his nickname in Windsor is Koko so I would assume it's not a silent Kh unless he just hasn't bothered to correct anyone.
LOL, Coke-la-chev

He sounds like a coke-head.

Great, a junkie!...

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:44 AM
SlickM32

Alex Khokhlachev - Windsor Spitfires

What's the scouting report on this kid. A young birthday, he seemed to score a high rate in the OHL. Is he one of the first Russians off the board this draft? Just curious as to his ceiling.

SlickM32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Mr Lahey*

I only saw him twice. He was amongst the better offensive players on the ice. Seemed to skate betetr than most, and could really handle the puck. Very slick.

Both games Windsor dominated the Soo so he didn't really need to show defensive effort I would say its a very good pick where you go him.

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 05:21 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
This kid is going to be a sick sniper for the Bruins.

bruinswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 06:27 PM
KrugLife
Registered Champion

Didn't know much about him. Very pleased with the pick after reading this thread though

KrugLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:33 PM
rocketdan9

With kassian plus ellis gone, whats kokos point production for this year? Anyone who has watched both koko and yakupov, compare and differentiate.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:38 PM
PBergeron37

Alex Khokhlachev, Windsor Spitfires - Projection if 2012 draft eligible?

If recent Bruins draft pick Alexander Khokhlachev (40th overall in 2011 draft) were only 1 week younger, he would have been 2012 draft eligible. The inquiry here is, if Koko were 2012 draft eligible, where would you project him for the 2012 draft.

Koko was 3rd among rookies and 30th overall in OHL scoring this season, with a 34-42-76 line in 67 games played. He was also first in rookie scoring in the playoffs with a 9-11-20 line in 18 games.

Additionally, Redline ranked him in the top 10 overall 3 months this season and The Hockey News ranked him as the 13th overall player for the 2011 draft at year end.

He's not a big kid and probably wouldn't benefit all that much from an extra year of development in terms of growth (at least in terms of height), but he certainly would improve his familiarity with the North American game and overall confidence with another year of OHL experience.

Given that Koko is very, very close to being 2012 draft eligible, where would you guys project him in next year's draft? Is this a kid who could have challenged for the #1 overall pick in 2012 (or maybe 2nd only to Nail Yakupov)? Thanks in advance.

PBergeron37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:43 PM
tmg

Not sure I follow.

If he was #40 in a weak draft year, why would he be top-2 in a stronger draft year?

tmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Zeroknowledge*

He would have went in the 2nd 50th-60th overall. Top is is such a stretch wow!!

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:51 PM
NiKrejci

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg View Post
Not sure I follow.

If he was #40 in a weak draft year, why would he be top-2 in a stronger draft year?
Most scouts believed he had top 10 talent in this draft, but the Russian factor made him drop. Also, he's a russian who was able to translate his game rather effortlessly coming to the CHL, which isn't usually the case. If he plays in the CHL instead of the Bruins next year he'll probably put up +100 pts. That would put him in the top 10 easily next year, but as the OP said he was born 6 days too early.

NiKrejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:57 PM
PBergeron37

Because he put up over a point per game as a rookie in the OHL and as one of the youngest draft eligible players.

His developmental curve likely indicates that he will have an even stronger year in the OHL this upcoming season as he further familiarizes himself with the North American game, becomes more comfortable with the English language, and gains more confidence and plays bigger minutes. Not to mention he will have another offseason to pack on more muscle to his frame.

He scored 96 points in 85 games (including playoffs) and likely will put up even better numbers next year. Usually the highest drafted kids coming out of the OHL are not rookies. They have the added benefit of being practically a year older with an extra year of OHL experience under their belt than Koko had.

There is always the chance Koko will slightly regresses next year, but it is more likely he has another season in which he puts up more than a point per game and will do so as a player who is almost the same age as those who are drafted in 2012. I can't imagine that he would be the 40th overall pick in 2012 if, statistically, he puts up another season like this next year.

Old
07-04-2011, 02:07 PM
tmg

So, you're making a supposition about his production next year that... 29 NHL clubs didn't make?

All clubs that passed on him know his age and what he might do next year. He hasn't done anything since the draft yet to change his likely production next year. I don't see what anyone posting in this thread knows about what he might do next year that all the scouts in the NHL don't know that caused them to let him slip to the second round. They're not adverse to projects. They're not fearful of taking a player who will take a year longer to develop.

NHL scouts aren't dumb robots. You don't know anything about koko they don't already know. If Yakupov was draft eligible this year he'd have been taken early - probably #1. They wouldn't have pushed him off to the early second round because he's not proven anything yet.

tmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:12 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

He reminds me a lot of Mikhail Grabovski, both very tenacious. I think his game will translate well into the NHL but I don't see a limitless top-end potential and I don't expect him to post 100+ points in the CHL. He could have played his way into the first round if he were a few weeks younger and drafted next year but not into the top-10.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:25 PM
PBergeron37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg View Post
So, you're making a supposition about his production next year that... 29 NHL clubs didn't make?

All clubs that passed on him know his age and what he might do next year. He hasn't done anything since the draft yet to change his likely production next year. I don't see what anyone posting in this thread knows about what he might do next year that all the scouts in the NHL don't know that caused them to let him slip to the second round. They're not adverse to projects. They're not fearful of taking a player who will take a year longer to develop.

NHL scouts aren't dumb robots. You don't know anything about koko they don't already know. If Yakupov was draft eligible this year he'd have been taken early - probably #1. They wouldn't have pushed him off to the early second round because he's not proven anything yet.
I guess scouts are infallible then and never make mistakes or overlook players. I guess the Bruins drafting Bergeron, Lucic and Krecji all in the 2nd round of their respective drafts was just because other teams wanted the Bruins a competitive advantage. Sure scouts know more than the majority of laymen posting on this board, but this was supposed to be a fun exercise that you apparently just aren't getting.

Every year guys rise from being considered a second round player at the beginning of the season to being a top pick by year's end because they are physically immature or just getting acclimated to a higher level of play against tougher competition (Ryan Strome, Tyler Seguin, etc.).

When talking about the NFL draft, you always here experts saying, "I think this guy is making a mistake by coming out of school a year early and entering the draft. He should have stayed and improved his stock." Similar concept here which I think is even more applicable because you are talking about kids who are even younger then NFL draft eligible players and many of whom whose progression can vary much more wildly.

I understand your point and it is a fair one, but you clearly aren't getting mine.

Old
07-04-2011, 04:45 PM
playthetrap*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKrejci View Post
Most scouts believed he had top 10 talent in this draft, but the Russian factor made him drop. Also, he's a russian who was able to translate his game rather effortlessly coming to the CHL, which isn't usually the case. If he plays in the CHL instead of the Bruins next year he'll probably put up +100 pts. That would put him in the top 10 easily next year, but as the OP said he was born 6 days too early.
What Russian factor made him drop?

If you're talking about him possibly not coming over to play, then that's absolutely false. He came over to Canada quite early for most Russians and he stated it's the fastest way to get to the NHL. If he dropped, it could be his age, his weight, etc.

Maybe there's a different Russian factor that I'm missing here.

playthetrap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Mr Lahey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBergeron37 View Post
If recent Bruins draft pick Alexander Khokhlachev (40th overall in 2011 draft) were only 1 week younger, he would have been 2012 draft eligible. The inquiry here is, if Koko were 2012 draft eligible, where would you project him for the 2012 draft.

Koko was 3rd among rookies and 30th overall in OHL scoring this season, with a 34-42-76 line in 67 games played. He was also first in rookie scoring in the playoffs with a 9-11-20 line in 18 games.

Additionally, Redline ranked him in the top 10 overall 3 months this season and The Hockey News ranked him as the 13th overall player for the 2011 draft at year end.

He's not a big kid and probably wouldn't benefit all that much from an extra year of development in terms of growth (at least in terms of height), but he certainly would improve his familiarity with the North American game and overall confidence with another year of OHL experience.

Given that Koko is very, very close to being 2012 draft eligible, where would you guys project him in next year's draft? Is this a kid who could have challenged for the #1 overall pick in 2012 (or maybe 2nd only to Nail Yakupov)? Thanks in advance.
Top 2? in next year's draft?

I think he would've went deeper to be honest. I love the depth in this draft, 1st round talents in the 40s imo.

Old
07-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Mr Lahey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by playthetrap View Post
What Russian factor made him drop?

If you're talking about him possibly not coming over to play, then that's absolutely false. He came over to Canada quite early for most Russians and he stated it's the fastest way to get to the NHL. If he dropped, it could be his age, his weight, etc.

Maybe there's a different Russian factor that I'm missing here.
There's no Russian factor, I have no idea what this guy is referring to. I believe he was ranked 10th in potential for this coming out of the 2011 draftees, in the OHL. So no, he wasn't a top 10 talent, and no there isn't much of a Russian factor.

Old
07-04-2011, 06:38 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Probably around the same spot, maybe even later. The top talent in 2012 is better, but it might not be as deep as 2011 though.

I don't get what the point is starting a thread like this? It's pure speculation. Seems like you want people to acknowledge the Bruins for making a good selection. His skill level is good, but he has a few question-marks (like size, defensive play, the Russia factor). And there are plenty of good reasons why he didn't go higher in a "weak" draft.

He also had a lot of support around him in Windsor, that might have helped his numbers a bit. I didn't really like him a hole lot when I saw him this season, maybe too many mistakes (going offside three times in five-ten minutes, and it was like close offsides.. he was miles a head. That tells me that he lacks hockey-sense imo).

Challenge for the 1st overall or 2nd overall? Not even close. I'd say around 40, maybe even 40+. We'll see how the 2012 draft develops through the season. There will as every other year come some player out of nowhere like Johansen and Huberdeau in previous draft years.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote