HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ilya Bryzgalov

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2011, 02:19 PM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
well now that the yotes are staying in phoenix for at least one more year, wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a one-year deal there.
NO CHANCE!!! All reports say he is looking to cash in on this contract. In all honesty, if he doesn't get 5 million + in the NHL, I think he ends up in Russia. He has always said he loves Russia and doesn't want to go anywhere that does not have a strong Russian culture. Either way, he isn't going to sign long term in Phoenix as he doesn't want to go to Winnipeg and he is not signing for one year.

Old
05-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
NO CHANCE!!! All reports say he is looking to cash in on this contract. In all honesty, if he doesn't get 5 million + in the NHL, I think he ends up in Russia. He has always said he loves Russia and doesn't want to go anywhere that does not have a strong Russian culture. Either way, he isn't going to sign long term in Phoenix as he doesn't want to go to Winnipeg and he is not signing for one year.
Philly has a strong Russian culture, the Russian mafia has taken over certain parts of the region.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:51 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
he loves the russian weather

Old
05-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Philly has a strong Russian culture, the Russian mafia has taken over certain parts of the region.

yea just ask Zherdev..

he thinks Timmy P. was in the russian mafia..

that interview at the beginning of the season was AWESOME...

Old
05-11-2011, 08:22 PM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Do not want. He's going to want too much money for too many years. Vokoun would cost less money and fewer years which is important if this franchise expects Bob to be their #1 goalie in a few years. Hell, I'd even take Emery over Bryzgalov
wut

Old
05-11-2011, 09:08 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Do not want. He's going to want too much money for too many years. Vokoun would cost less money and fewer years which is important if this franchise expects Bob to be their #1 goalie in a few years. Hell, I'd even take Emery over Bryzgalov
oh my. ra ra re tards. no wonder our fan base sits and claps like seals at every move our team makes. good or bad. we need bryzgalov. NOW. im so not worried about what Bob MIGHT do in 2017. Bryzgalov is Cujo. Vokoun is Beezer. Theres a right one and a wrong one. the end.

Old
05-11-2011, 09:13 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
oh my. ra ra re tards. no wonder our fan base sits and claps like seals at every move our team makes. good or bad. we need bryzgalov. NOW. im so not worried about what Bob MIGHT do in 2017. Bryzgalov is Cujo. Vokoun is Beezer. Theres a right one and a wrong one. the end.
Analogy fails on the matter of salary cap.

Old
05-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Gibbs18

Quote:
Originally Posted by girouxrichards View Post
wut
Please Homer, for the love of god do not bring Emery here as a #1

Old
05-11-2011, 11:13 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

From Snider.."we'll see how it plays out...." "Who knows"

Don't want Emery, Scabokov, or any other retread...Vokoun concerns me a bit and I've said he may be a Beezer situation but willing to take the risk for a couple of years and the right cost. Bryzgalov obviously is the cream of the crop. Meltzer has mentioned Anders Lindback as an intriguing option....said he's a Rinne clone of sorts. Bernier I wouldn't mind....

Having said all this I'm sure they'll screw it up somehow and we'll get some second hand article of clothing off the rack.

Quote:
Snider’s tone suggested the Flyers are prepared to either deal for a goalie (Los Angeles’ Jonathan Bernier? The Islanders’ Evgeni Nabokov?), or sign a free-agent, such as Ilya Bryzgalov of Phoenix.

Signing a marquee free-agent goalie will be difficult because the Flyers have little cap space.

Snider didn’t see that as a problem.

“If we trade or go for a goalie (through free-agency), we’ll make it work,” he said. “We can make anything work, even with the cap.”

On the importance of having a bonafide #1

Quote:
"We were beaten by a totally better team," he said. "The extremes in the goaltending, from their goalie (Tim Thomas) to ours, had an effect on our team. I don't look at it as why this guy only had one goal or this guy played that way. The bottom line is, when you have a goalie playing out of his mind (like Thomas), that confidence spreads to the whole team; the whole team becomes confident. And when your goalie is not playing well...."
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...oalie-too.html

Old
05-11-2011, 11:34 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Bryzgalov has accomplished nothing in the playoffs. He looked awful vs DET and couldnt even make routine saves (don't give me that "he team was outplayed" ********). If we sign him and he falters, I'll bump this thread

Old
05-12-2011, 12:57 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Bryzgalov has accomplished nothing in the playoffs. He looked awful vs DET and couldnt even make routine saves (don't give me that "he team was outplayed" ********). If we sign him and he falters, I'll bump this thread

Old
05-12-2011, 10:08 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
first of all thank god your not our gen. manager. He was obviously disinterested. He's never been a starter on a contender. Ever hear of motivation? remember our teams lack of it in the 2nd round? he was in the same situation. he's the peanut butter, were the chocolate. You'd rather shove a square piece in a round hole? He's the best goalie out there. were the best team out there in need of a goalie. done deal. and yeah, we need to clear some cap room. I'm all in for movin a forward or defenseman. No team can play with confidence in front of an empty net. were so scared to trade one of these albatross contracts we had the nads to sign in the first place yet we wont grow a pair to get a quality contract for what i consider the most impotant position in sports? This guys age, ability, personality, and motivation (yea, its an assumption but what isnt?) is perfect for our needs.

Last edited by funghoul: 05-12-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old
05-12-2011, 10:28 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
first of all thank god your not our gen. manager. He was obviously disinterested. He's never been a starter on a contender. Ever hear of motivation? remember our teams lack of it in the 2nd round? he was in the same situation. he's the peanut butter, were the chocolate. You'd rather shove a square piece in a round hole? He's the best goalie out there. were the best team out there in need of a goalie. done deal. and yeah, we need to clear some cap room. I'm all in for movin a forward or defenseman. No team can play with confidence in front of an empty net. were so scared to trade one of these albatross contracts we had the nads to sign in the first place yet we wont grow a pair to get a quality contract for what i consider the most impotant position in sports? This guys age, ability, personality, and motivation (yea, its an assumption but what isnt?) is perfect for our needs.
so you want to sign him and "hope" he becomes interested and gets motivated?

I'd rather have a goalie who was already interested & motivated

we've been hoping that jeff carter becomes interested & motivated out there every year and it hasnt happened. and guess what...it never will. you can't teach interest and motivation. if a player hasnt shown it on a consistent basis for so many years, he isnt just going to turn the corner

IMO giving Bryz that kind of money for so many years, just gives him more reason to not show interest and motivation

Old
05-12-2011, 10:40 AM
JABEE

Eklund Hockey Buzz Eklund
Text from a Source: Flyers wont wait until July 1. look for them to trade for the rights of a ufa goalie. Heard Versteeg to Phoenix.

Eklund posted this on Twitter today.

Old
05-12-2011, 10:45 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

^^ HAHAHA

EKtard..... pfft. I also heard unicorns **** in the clouds.

Old
05-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Versteeg for rights would be insanely stupid.

Old
05-12-2011, 10:53 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Well not like there isn't a precedence with the Flyers doing things before free agency so not sure how one can totally discount Eklund on that point despite his rep.....I bet if 90% of us made the same prediction 89.9% of us would be ultimately proven to be correct...everybody can look like Nostradamus with this predictable management

Also as far as Holmgren..not like there isn't a precedence with him doing insanely stupid things...

Old
05-12-2011, 10:54 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:

so who do you want then? Emery? Giguere? Theodore? all sieves. pass on all of em. All those goalies would leave us right where we are now. with question marks in goal. The stacked roster with cheap in goal does not work.
I am not Bryzgalov's biggest fan but hes better then anything we have put out there in the last 20 years. Same with Vokoun. Are there guarantees? of course not. nothing is guaranteed but it would sure get us in much better shape going into next season instead of nickle and diming the goaltending position year after year.

Old
05-12-2011, 12:08 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
so you want to sign him and "hope" he becomes interested and gets motivated?

I'd rather have a goalie who was already interested & motivated

we've been hoping that jeff carter becomes interested & motivated out there every year and it hasnt happened. and guess what...it never will. you can't teach interest and motivation. if a player hasnt shown it on a consistent basis for so many years, he isnt just going to turn the corner

IMO giving Bryz that kind of money for so many years, just gives him more reason to not show interest and motivation
i agree with you about carter. im one of those trade carter guys. i think the perception the league has of him is more valuable to us then the actual production he gives us. (example , a hat trick against the panthers in november) but dont pretend like you dont know bryzgalov is awesome. you watch hockey. you know that team of spare parts in phoenix wouldnt sniff the playoffs without a guy in net that gives them the confidence to sacrifice and perform above their capabilities. Now put him on our team. the best team we've had assembled in 30 years. i garantee (as worthless as that is) we perform better in the playoffs even this year with the rediculous amount of injuries to top players.

Old
05-12-2011, 12:28 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Is this before or after he won the Stanley Cup?

Old
05-12-2011, 01:01 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
Zing. Nice one.

Old
05-12-2011, 01:30 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Who's yer fadder!?!

Old
05-12-2011, 02:20 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
i agree with you about carter. im one of those trade carter guys. i think the perception the league has of him is more valuable to us then the actual production he gives us. (example , a hat trick against the panthers in november) but dont pretend like you dont know bryzgalov is awesome. you watch hockey. you know that team of spare parts in phoenix wouldnt sniff the playoffs without a guy in net that gives them the confidence to sacrifice and perform above their capabilities. Now put him on our team. the best team we've had assembled in 30 years. i garantee (as worthless as that is) we perform better in the playoffs even this year with the rediculous amount of injuries to top players.
awesome? no. i would never say Bryzgalov is awesome. Is he good? yes, he is. however, I don't see the benefits of giving him over $5m over 5 years to hope he performs well behind our team. Even if he was in net for us this year, this team would not have made it any further in the playoffs because, while goaltending was a problem, it was one of many

Quote:
as Giguere's back-up

Old
05-12-2011, 02:27 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
awesome? no. i would never say Bryzgalov is awesome. Is he good? yes, he is. however, I don't see the benefits of giving him over $5m over 5 years to hope he performs well behind our team. Even if he was in net for us this year, this team would not have made it any further in the playoffs because, while goaltending was a problem, it was one of many
I don't know. I still believe that poor goaltending, while wasn't the only problem, made everything else that much worse. On top of the fact that the team was apparently overworked, they had to make up for the difficiency in net. That will take a toll eventually.

Then in the playoffs, the "play out of a 0-2 or 0-3 1st period" was just too much for them to handle night after night. Having a goalie to steal a few of those games would have been real confidence and motivational boosters.

Would we have gone on to win the Stanley Cup? Not really sure, but we definitely would have beaten the the Sabres in 5 or 6 games and probably have beaten the Bruins.

Old
05-12-2011, 02:39 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

I don't think Bryz is the only answer, but he's a pretty good answer, and those of you concerned about overpaying by 800k or a million really should go play Monopoly or something. If it means we have to load Scott Hartnell onto a rocket and fire it into the sun, so be it.

Closed Thread