HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ilya Bryzgalov

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2011, 02:19 PM
  #26
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
well now that the yotes are staying in phoenix for at least one more year, wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a one-year deal there.
NO CHANCE!!! All reports say he is looking to cash in on this contract. In all honesty, if he doesn't get 5 million + in the NHL, I think he ends up in Russia. He has always said he loves Russia and doesn't want to go anywhere that does not have a strong Russian culture. Either way, he isn't going to sign long term in Phoenix as he doesn't want to go to Winnipeg and he is not signing for one year.

phillyfanatic is offline  
Old
05-11-2011, 02:54 PM
  #27
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
NO CHANCE!!! All reports say he is looking to cash in on this contract. In all honesty, if he doesn't get 5 million + in the NHL, I think he ends up in Russia. He has always said he loves Russia and doesn't want to go anywhere that does not have a strong Russian culture. Either way, he isn't going to sign long term in Phoenix as he doesn't want to go to Winnipeg and he is not signing for one year.
Philly has a strong Russian culture, the Russian mafia has taken over certain parts of the region.

Cartsiephan* is offline  
Old
05-11-2011, 04:51 PM
  #28
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
NO CHANCE!!! All reports say he is looking to cash in on this contract. In all honesty, if he doesn't get 5 million + in the NHL, I think he ends up in Russia. He has always said he loves Russia and doesn't want to go anywhere that does not have a strong Russian culture. Either way, he isn't going to sign long term in Phoenix as he doesn't want to go to Winnipeg and he is not signing for one year.
he loves the russian weather


RJ8812 is offline  
Old
05-11-2011, 05:03 PM
  #29
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Philly has a strong Russian culture, the Russian mafia has taken over certain parts of the region.



yea just ask Zherdev..

he thinks Timmy P. was in the russian mafia..


that interview at the beginning of the season was AWESOME...

Flyerfan4life is offline  
Old
05-11-2011, 08:22 PM
  #30
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP
 
GirouxCouturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Do not want. He's going to want too much money for too many years. Vokoun would cost less money and fewer years which is important if this franchise expects Bob to be their #1 goalie in a few years. Hell, I'd even take Emery over Bryzgalov
wut

GirouxCouturier is offline  
Old
05-11-2011, 09:08 PM
  #31
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Do not want. He's going to want too much money for too many years. Vokoun would cost less money and fewer years which is important if this franchise expects Bob to be their #1 goalie in a few years. Hell, I'd even take Emery over Bryzgalov
oh my. ra ra re tards. no wonder our fan base sits and claps like seals at every move our team makes. good or bad. we need bryzgalov. NOW. im so not worried about what Bob MIGHT do in 2017. Bryzgalov is Cujo. Vokoun is Beezer. Theres a right one and a wrong one. the end.

funghoul is offline  
Old
05-11-2011, 09:13 PM
  #32
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
oh my. ra ra re tards. no wonder our fan base sits and claps like seals at every move our team makes. good or bad. we need bryzgalov. NOW. im so not worried about what Bob MIGHT do in 2017. Bryzgalov is Cujo. Vokoun is Beezer. Theres a right one and a wrong one. the end.
Analogy fails on the matter of salary cap.

BernieParent is online now  
Old
05-11-2011, 11:02 PM
  #33
Gibbs18
Registered User
 
Gibbs18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Elmer, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by girouxrichards View Post
wut
Please Homer, for the love of god do not bring Emery here as a #1

Gibbs18 is offline  
Old
05-11-2011, 11:13 PM
  #34
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,822
vCash: 500
From Snider.."we'll see how it plays out...." "Who knows"

Don't want Emery, Scabokov, or any other retread...Vokoun concerns me a bit and I've said he may be a Beezer situation but willing to take the risk for a couple of years and the right cost. Bryzgalov obviously is the cream of the crop. Meltzer has mentioned Anders Lindback as an intriguing option....said he's a Rinne clone of sorts. Bernier I wouldn't mind....

Having said all this I'm sure they'll screw it up somehow and we'll get some second hand article of clothing off the rack.


Quote:
Snider’s tone suggested the Flyers are prepared to either deal for a goalie (Los Angeles’ Jonathan Bernier? The Islanders’ Evgeni Nabokov?), or sign a free-agent, such as Ilya Bryzgalov of Phoenix.

Signing a marquee free-agent goalie will be difficult because the Flyers have little cap space.

Snider didn’t see that as a problem.

“If we trade or go for a goalie (through free-agency), we’ll make it work,” he said. “We can make anything work, even with the cap.”


On the importance of having a bonafide #1

Quote:
"We were beaten by a totally better team," he said. "The extremes in the goaltending, from their goalie (Tim Thomas) to ours, had an effect on our team. I don't look at it as why this guy only had one goal or this guy played that way. The bottom line is, when you have a goalie playing out of his mind (like Thomas), that confidence spreads to the whole team; the whole team becomes confident. And when your goalie is not playing well...."
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...oalie-too.html

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
05-11-2011, 11:34 PM
  #35
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
oh my. ra ra re tards. no wonder our fan base sits and claps like seals at every move our team makes. good or bad. we need bryzgalov. NOW. im so not worried about what Bob MIGHT do in 2017. Bryzgalov is Cujo. Vokoun is Beezer. Theres a right one and a wrong one. the end.
Bryzgalov has accomplished nothing in the playoffs. He looked awful vs DET and couldnt even make routine saves (don't give me that "he team was outplayed" ********). If we sign him and he falters, I'll bump this thread

RJ8812 is offline  
Old
05-12-2011, 12:57 AM
  #36
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Bryzgalov has accomplished nothing in the playoffs. He looked awful vs DET and couldnt even make routine saves (don't give me that "he team was outplayed" ********). If we sign him and he falters, I'll bump this thread

decadentia is offline  
Old
05-12-2011, 10:08 AM
  #37
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Bryzgalov has accomplished nothing in the playoffs. He looked awful vs DET and couldnt even make routine saves (don't give me that "he team was outplayed" ********). If we sign him and he falters, I'll bump this thread
first of all thank god your not our gen. manager. He was obviously disinterested. He's never been a starter on a contender. Ever hear of motivation? remember our teams lack of it in the 2nd round? he was in the same situation. he's the peanut butter, were the chocolate. You'd rather shove a square piece in a round hole? He's the best goalie out there. were the best team out there in need of a goalie. done deal. and yeah, we need to clear some cap room. I'm all in for movin a forward or defenseman. No team can play with confidence in front of an empty net. were so scared to trade one of these albatross contracts we had the nads to sign in the first place yet we wont grow a pair to get a quality contract for what i consider the most impotant position in sports? This guys age, ability, personality, and motivation (yea, its an assumption but what isnt?) is perfect for our needs.


Last edited by funghoul: 05-12-2011 at 10:17 AM.
funghoul is offline  
Old
05-12-2011, 10:28 AM
  #38
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
first of all thank god your not our gen. manager. He was obviously disinterested. He's never been a starter on a contender. Ever hear of motivation? remember our teams lack of it in the 2nd round? he was in the same situation. he's the peanut butter, were the chocolate. You'd rather shove a square piece in a round hole? He's the best goalie out there. were the best team out there in need of a goalie. done deal. and yeah, we need to clear some cap room. I'm all in for movin a forward or defenseman. No team can play with confidence in front of an empty net. were so scared to trade one of these albatross contracts we had the nads to sign in the first place yet we wont grow a pair to get a quality contract for what i consider the most impotant position in sports? This guys age, ability, personality, and motivation (yea, its an assumption but what isnt?) is perfect for our needs.
so you want to sign him and "hope" he becomes interested and gets motivated?

I'd rather have a goalie who was already interested & motivated

we've been hoping that jeff carter becomes interested & motivated out there every year and it hasnt happened. and guess what...it never will. you can't teach interest and motivation. if a player hasnt shown it on a consistent basis for so many years, he isnt just going to turn the corner

IMO giving Bryz that kind of money for so many years, just gives him more reason to not show interest and motivation

RJ8812 is offline  
Old
05-12-2011, 10:40 AM
  #39
JABEE
Registered User
 
JABEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,611
vCash: 500
Eklund Hockey Buzz Eklund
Text from a Source: Flyers wont wait until July 1. look for them to trade for the rights of a ufa goalie. Heard Versteeg to Phoenix.

Eklund posted this on Twitter today.

JABEE is offline  
Old
05-12-2011, 10:45 AM
  #40
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,768
vCash: 500
^^ HAHAHA

EKtard..... pfft. I also heard unicorns **** in the clouds.

dingbathero is offline  
Old
05-12-2011, 10:46 AM
  #41
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 39,261
vCash: 500
Versteeg for rights would be insanely stupid.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
05-12-2011, 10:53 AM
  #42
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,822
vCash: 500
Well not like there isn't a precedence with the Flyers doing things before free agency so not sure how one can totally discount Eklund on that point despite his rep.....I bet if 90% of us made the same prediction 89.9% of us would be ultimately proven to be correct...everybody can look like Nostradamus with this predictable management

Also as far as Holmgren..not like there isn't a precedence with him doing insanely stupid things...

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
05-12-2011, 10:54 AM
  #43
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Bryzgalov has accomplished nothing in the playoffs. He looked awful vs DET and couldnt even make routine saves (don't give me that "he team was outplayed" ********). If we sign him and he falters, I'll bump this thread

so who do you want then? Emery? Giguere? Theodore? all sieves. pass on all of em. All those goalies would leave us right where we are now. with question marks in goal. The stacked roster with cheap in goal does not work.
I am not Bryzgalov's biggest fan but hes better then anything we have put out there in the last 20 years. Same with Vokoun. Are there guarantees? of course not. nothing is guaranteed but it would sure get us in much better shape going into next season instead of nickle and diming the goaltending position year after year.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
05-12-2011, 12:08 PM
  #44
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
so you want to sign him and "hope" he becomes interested and gets motivated?

I'd rather have a goalie who was already interested & motivated

we've been hoping that jeff carter becomes interested & motivated out there every year and it hasnt happened. and guess what...it never will. you can't teach interest and motivation. if a player hasnt shown it on a consistent basis for so many years, he isnt just going to turn the corner

IMO giving Bryz that kind of money for so many years, just gives him more reason to not show interest and motivation
i agree with you about carter. im one of those trade carter guys. i think the perception the league has of him is more valuable to us then the actual production he gives us. (example , a hat trick against the panthers in november) but dont pretend like you dont know bryzgalov is awesome. you watch hockey. you know that team of spare parts in phoenix wouldnt sniff the playoffs without a guy in net that gives them the confidence to sacrifice and perform above their capabilities. Now put him on our team. the best team we've had assembled in 30 years. i garantee (as worthless as that is) we perform better in the playoffs even this year with the rediculous amount of injuries to top players.

funghoul is offline  
Old
05-12-2011, 12:28 PM
  #45
ShotScore*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Country: Italy
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Bryzgalov has accomplished nothing in the playoffs. He looked awful vs DET and couldnt even make routine saves (don't give me that "he team was outplayed" ********). If we sign him and he falters, I'll bump this thread
Is this before or after he won the Stanley Cup?

ShotScore* is offline  
Old
05-12-2011, 01:01 PM
  #46
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
Is this before or after he won the Stanley Cup?
Zing. Nice one.

OriginJM is offline  
Old
05-12-2011, 01:30 PM
  #47
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
Is this before or after he won the Stanley Cup?
Who's yer fadder!?!

dingbathero is offline  
Old
05-12-2011, 02:20 PM
  #48
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
i agree with you about carter. im one of those trade carter guys. i think the perception the league has of him is more valuable to us then the actual production he gives us. (example , a hat trick against the panthers in november) but dont pretend like you dont know bryzgalov is awesome. you watch hockey. you know that team of spare parts in phoenix wouldnt sniff the playoffs without a guy in net that gives them the confidence to sacrifice and perform above their capabilities. Now put him on our team. the best team we've had assembled in 30 years. i garantee (as worthless as that is) we perform better in the playoffs even this year with the rediculous amount of injuries to top players.
awesome? no. i would never say Bryzgalov is awesome. Is he good? yes, he is. however, I don't see the benefits of giving him over $5m over 5 years to hope he performs well behind our team. Even if he was in net for us this year, this team would not have made it any further in the playoffs because, while goaltending was a problem, it was one of many

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
Is this before or after he won the Stanley Cup?
as Giguere's back-up

RJ8812 is offline  
Old
05-12-2011, 02:27 PM
  #49
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
awesome? no. i would never say Bryzgalov is awesome. Is he good? yes, he is. however, I don't see the benefits of giving him over $5m over 5 years to hope he performs well behind our team. Even if he was in net for us this year, this team would not have made it any further in the playoffs because, while goaltending was a problem, it was one of many
I don't know. I still believe that poor goaltending, while wasn't the only problem, made everything else that much worse. On top of the fact that the team was apparently overworked, they had to make up for the difficiency in net. That will take a toll eventually.

Then in the playoffs, the "play out of a 0-2 or 0-3 1st period" was just too much for them to handle night after night. Having a goalie to steal a few of those games would have been real confidence and motivational boosters.

Would we have gone on to win the Stanley Cup? Not really sure, but we definitely would have beaten the the Sabres in 5 or 6 games and probably have beaten the Bruins.

El Emperor is offline  
Old
05-12-2011, 02:39 PM
  #50
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.
 
COMCASTMONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PHI in PGH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
I don't think Bryz is the only answer, but he's a pretty good answer, and those of you concerned about overpaying by 800k or a million really should go play Monopoly or something. If it means we have to load Scott Hartnell onto a rocket and fire it into the sun, so be it.

COMCASTMONEY is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.