HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you Support a Team in Hamilton, ON?

View Poll Results: ........................
Yes 11 15.28%
No. 61 84.72%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-11-2011, 03:32 PM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I'm fine with Hamilton as long as they pay a $300 million indemnification for territorial rights.
Yes.

though I should clarify my answer. I don't "not" support it. I think it could happen, and not be a bad thing. don't think the league should expand because of finances + rising cap.

Don't really buy this argument of "dilution." I think in terms of talent, the league could probably be 36-40 and still have a high level of competition. There's a lot of talent in Europe, and there's a lot of veterans out of work or in the AHL that could still play 3rd/4th line roles in the NHL if teams chose to rather than developing kids. and there's plenty of kids languishing in the AHL who might develop if they had an NHL chance.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Weird Fish

Send a message via AIM to Weird Fish
Why put a team in an area if it would be a threat to the long term health of a healthy franchise?

Weird Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:08 PM
FoSotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Fish View Post
Why put a team in an area if it would be a threat to the long term health of a healthy franchise?
A team in Hamilton is guaranteed to be healthy and would bring in lots of cash for the league. If the Sabres have to move as a result due to lack of fan support, the league would probably relocate us to a large(r) market.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Weird Fish

Send a message via AIM to Weird Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedus View Post
A team in Hamilton is guaranteed to be healthy and would bring in lots of cash for the league. If the Sabres have to move as a result due to lack of fan support, the league would probably relocate us to a large(r) market.
Firstly, I think it's debatable that a team in Hamilton is guaranteed to do well.

Hamilton is very, very small. Their metropolitan area is only 700 thousand people; which is about 60-65% of the small market Buffalo Sabres. "But they'll draw the Toronto crowd." Lots of people thought that about the Islanders too. The Islanders play only an hour and a half from MSG, home of the second most valuable team in the NHL, yet they don't draw any of the Rangers fanbase. The same could very well happen in Hamilton.

Secondly, even if Hamilton does assert itself as a viable franchise, it would just be a threat to another viable franchise.

The Sabres have new, very stable ownership; and as much as people complain, BTG and Quinn put our finances on solid ground. That puts us in better shape than a lot of teams in the league. A team in Hamilton however would slowly but surely draw fans away from us, putting our long-term health in danger.

Other than "It's Canada's game!" or because a billionaire wants to, I can't think of any reasons why the NHL would put a team in Hamilton, threatening one of its healthy franchises.

Weird Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:35 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Firstly, I think it's debatable that a team in Hamilton is guaranteed to do well.

Hamilton is very, very small. Their metropolitan area is only 700 thousand people; which is about 60-65% of the small market Buffalo Sabres. "But they'll draw the Toronto crowd." Lots of people thought that about the Islanders too. The Islanders play only an hour and a half from MSG, home of the second most valuable team in the NHL, yet they don't draw any of the Rangers fanbase. The same could very well happen in Hamilton.

Secondly, even if Hamilton does assert itself as a viable franchise, it would just be a threat to another viable franchise.

The Sabres have new, very stable ownership; and as much as people complain, BTG and Quinn put our finances on solid ground. That puts us in better shape than a lot of teams in the league. A team in Hamilton however would slowly but surely draw fans away from us, putting our long-term health in danger.

Other than "It's Canada's game!" or because a billionaire wants to, I can't think of any reasons why the NHL would put a team in Hamilton, threatening one of its healthy franchises.
The Sabres also get better local TV ratings than any almost any other American team, enough so to make an impact on national ratings. I believe that Buffalo-Philly Game 6 is NBC's highest-rated game of the playoffs so far.

The NHL is not going to add another Canadian team in a saturated Canadian TV market, if it costs them one of their strongest (albeit small) American TV markets.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:37 PM
MayDay

What should happen is that the Sabres should do a better job of asserting their territorial rights in the Niagara Peninsula of Ontario. Do more marketing, have more of a presence. Work on getting some games on TV there.

If there's such a pent-up demand for NHL hockey in Hamilton, as some claim, the Sabres should capitalize on that and work on turning those people into Sabres fans.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Clock

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 06:14 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

No sir .... I don't like it.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 06:20 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Ya sure now that we have a filthy rich owner, then maybe ill have two teams to root for !!

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Freezerburn

Absolutely, without question.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I wouldn't say a team that is for sale and chronically on the bottom of the league as "healthy".

Oh. Wait. Nevermind.

05-11-2011, 10:27 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
What should happen is that the Sabres should do a better job of asserting their territorial rights in the Niagara Peninsula of Ontario. Do more marketing, have more of a presence. Work on getting some games on TV there.

If there's such a pent-up demand for NHL hockey in Hamilton, as some claim, the Sabres should capitalize on that and work on turning those people into Sabres fans.
Ted Black is on record that he wants to do something to get games broadcast into Southern Ontario again. This can be nothing but good.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Megaera

Quote:
"But they'll draw the Toronto crowd." Lots of people thought that about the Islanders too. The Islanders play only an hour and a half from MSG, home of the second most valuable team in the NHL, yet they don't draw any of the Rangers fanbase. The same could very well happen in Hamilton.
It's not really all that comparable. There are way more hockey fans in the Toronto area than in the New York area. There may be more people down here but the Rangers popularity is nowhere near that of the Leafs.

And the Islanders would draw more people if their arena wasn't so damn hard to get to. It's really inconveniently located.

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:52 PM
goldstandard333

WHAT?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7_LreuSY3Y

goldstandard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
I'm not opposed to a second team in southern Ontario, but i don't think I'd want it to be in Hamilton. If anything I'd rather it be in Toronto metro or Kitchener/Waterloo. Hamilton is just to close for comfort to Buffalo. It would only make both smaller market teams struggle as they'd both be fighting over the same fans in the Niagara region of Ontario.

Buffalo would definitely come out on the short end of the stick because of border crossing issues when it comes to attending games.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote