HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Agreed. We need a Getzlaf-esque power forward. We don't do well trying to play a "cute" offensive style. We need to stick it to teams with force.
Getzlaf can get pretty damn "cute" at times, and not in a good way.

05-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you buddy, calm down, all i'm saying is that being able to drive the net and shoot doesn't necessarily mean you'll be successful in the majors. Especially for a big boy.

I'd take David Backes any day of the week. However, with the way this team is right now i'd personally take the dangler who scores more points if we had the choice. However, with this draft we really don't so I have no problem with McNeill, besides it giving us too many "Mc's" in the system.
id love Backes or that type as a first round draft pick. rangers need size with grit and skill. other than dubinsky they dont have much of that. in fact i dealt Gaborik for Backes in NHL 11

Old
05-11-2011, 08:14 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

McNeill interests me.

He wouldn't be my personal first pick. But if the Rangers are targeting him, I wouldn't be disappointed.

Still, Khokhlachev is probably more high-end. The THN piece mentions his work ethic, grit, and character as strengths.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
Out of curiosity, who were the 4 forwards?
Johansen, Nino, Skinner, Burmistrov.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:26 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Johansen, Nino, Skinner, Burmistrov.
Damn, eh? lol

Old
05-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

I like Khokhlachev but I cant see us choosing him. With drafting at 15 we have so many options.

Sven Bartschi is climbing up many peoples rankings with his impressive playoff performance too. Surprised there hasn`t been much talk about him on this board.

My Picks:

Zia
Scheifiele
McNeil
Bartschi
Armia
Biggs

Puempel is interesting. Hes probably the best scorer of the draft, and you must consider him too.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:30 PM
NYR Viper

McNeil is definitely intriguing. He would totally fit the type of team the Rangers have. If the Rangers are serious about identifying and solidifying the type of organization will be it would make sense that McNeil would be the pick.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:35 PM
TheRedViper

Out of all the options/names that are getting thrown out, I think Biggs would be the only selection that I would be disappointed with.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:42 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Out of all the options/names that are getting thrown out, I think Biggs would be the only selection that I would be disappointed with.
Hahahaha. Yeah, Biggs - or someone completely off the radar like, ya know, McIlrath.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:48 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Kohklachev
Schiefiele
Puempel

Brodin
Ritchie
Catenacci

Gimme 3 of these 6 and I'm good.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Getzlaf can get pretty damn "cute" at times, and not in a good way.
I think all players do, but you know his game or a similar one would look very good on the Rangers.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:53 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
McNeill interests me.

He wouldn't be my personal first pick. But if the Rangers are targeting him, I wouldn't be disappointed.

Still, Khokhlachev is probably more high-end. The THN piece mentions his work ethic, grit, and character as strengths.
Anyone questioning kokos compete level, willingness to play the middle of the ice, and ability to play a north American style hasn't watched him play.

He's not your typical Russian perimeter player. Quite the opposite.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:59 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
You're right, what could possibly happen in 3 years ?

Ask any Ranger fan who has seen more than 10 or 12 Ranger teams and get back to me
Look at our entire prospect pool. It's filled with "grinders." and tough guys.

All I said was if it was between a power forward and a sniper who deked and dangled i'd take the sniper all things considered.

Especially in a draft where there's no noticeable drop off in talent between the non- top picks.

Quote:
Why do we need guys to play the European style? We need guys that can score, regardless of how they do it.
I'm agreeing with this. But this team past Gaborik is the drive the net and shoot kind of team. We have nobody who can take the puck up the ice like a Datsyuk and hold it. We also need somebody who can just set up near the circles, say peace, and let loose a nasty wrist shot. I'd like to see some variety in our team, my ideal line is power forward-playmaker-sniper.

I guess you can say i'd take a "sniper" over a power forward right now. And that doesn't change even if we get rid of our entire prospect pool in the next 3 years, which you're grossly exaggerating Bluenote. I'll personally buy you tickets to a game if we're still not a mostly "tough guy" team in the next few years, even with a Richards anchored top line.

Like I said, I have no problem with David Backes. I think we need some more snipers ala Christian Thomas to mix in with our Dubinsky's, Callahan's, Boyle's and Prust's, though. Just my opinion.

Old
05-11-2011, 09:06 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Look at our entire prospect pool. It's filled with "grinders." and tough guys.

All I said was if it was between a power forward and a sniper who deked and dangled i'd take the sniper all things considered.

Especially in a draft where there's no noticeable drop off in talent between the non- top picks.

I'm agreeing with this. But this team past Gaborik is the drive the net and shoot kind of team. We have nobody who can take the puck up the ice like a Datsyuk and hold it. We also need somebody who can just set up near the circles, say peace, and let loose a nasty wrist shot. I'd like to see some variety in our team, my ideal line is power forward-playmaker-sniper.

I guess you can say i'd take a "sniper" over a power forward right now. And that doesn't change even if we get rid of our entire prospect pool in the next 3 years, which you're grossly exaggerating Bluenote. I'll personally buy you tickets to a game if we're still not a mostly "tough guy" team in the next few years, even with a Richards anchored top line.

Like I said, I have no problem with David Backes. I think we need some more snipers ala Christian Thomas to mix in with our Dubinsky's, Callahan's, Boyle's and Prust's, though. Just my opinion.
Kreider, Thomas, Horak, Zucca, and Fasth aren't grinders, and when it comes to tough grinders in our system in the same mould as a McNeill type prospect, you can maybe put Grachev in that type of category and that's really all.

All I want is someone that KNOWS how to put the puck in the net. Though, I definately agree with you about the puck carrier issues.

Old
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
Kohklachev
Schiefiele
Puempel

Brodin
Ritchie
Catenacci

Sounds good, but do you realistically think that 1 of the bottom three are available at 57??

Old
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

ODC, what % of a chance do you give NYR calling Kohk's name on draft day?

You think we can get Brodin or Catenacci with 2nd rounders?

Ritchie is interesting, should play at 6'4, nice wrister, parks himself in front of the net, no doubt a wildcard.

Old
05-11-2011, 09:11 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Kreider, Thomas, Horak, Zucca, and Fasth aren't grinders, and when it comes to tough grinders in our system in the same mould as a McNeill type prospect, you can maybe put Grachev in that type of category and that's really all.

All I want is someone that KNOWS how to put the puck in the net. Though, I definately agree with you about the puck carrier issues.
That's what we all want, but Kreider plays a drive the net kind of game (who has shown flashes of being able to carry the puck and dangle because of his raw speed), Hagelin is a guy who also uses his speed to his advantage and scores goals around the net, Horak and MZA you're right, but they're also both playmakers I believe, and Fasth it's too hard to figure what his game will be- the little i've seen of him he plays a pretty gritty game. I'd liken McNeill to a Dubi/Cally on our club.

I have no problem with McNeill, and i'd be very happy if we drafted him. I just think we need somebody with raw sniper skills to sprinkle throughout the lineup because we've seen what happens when all we do is crash the net. Just some variety to keep teams modest, you know?

Old
05-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Gardner McKay
What a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
Kohklachev
Schiefiele
Puempel

Brodin
Ritchie
Catenacci

Ive heard alot of things about Catenacci. One of them I remember reading something about him having a piss poor attitude. Can't remember where I saw it. Any truth to that?

Old
05-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Gardner McKay
What a time

Quote:
Sounds good, but do you realistically think that 1 of the bottom three are available at 57??
No but its a good thing we have 45 to make sure we pick one of them up.

Old
05-11-2011, 10:37 PM
TheRedViper

What are some realistic names @ 57?

Old
05-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:

Ritchie is interesting, should play at 6'4, nice wrister, parks himself in front of the net, no doubt a wildcard.
I also like Jurco, Morrow and possibly Brodin with our 2nd rounders. Stay away from Ambroz.

Old
05-12-2011, 12:12 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I like McNeil because he plays a very hard nosed game and is not afraid to fight. Toughness plus scoring is always a good thing especially in the Atlantic Division. He has some offense.

I'd love to get Nieto because his work ethic is great and I'd take a whirl on Grimaldi if he's available in round 2 because he has skill and a bit of Fleury in him.

Biggs could be good but he's gonna take 3-4 years to even be closed to AHL ready.

Koko sounds cool as does Bartschi. Honestly like I said before, they're very familiar with the Generals because of Thomas and Graves so I assume Gordie has a favorite or series of prospects.

I wouldn't be surprised though if one of the second rounders goes in a deal for a Setoguchi (Sharks have cap issues) or Hemsky (Oilers want to get something for him....please stay away but I can see them going after him )

Old
05-12-2011, 06:50 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

tough to say.

i know for sure that we had people- like pretty much every organization- at the spits series with owen sound as the better stajcer played, the more attention he was getting. they got a good look at him and a few other guys that are on our list.

were i a betting man- and i am , i would say the odds arent very good for us to call his name at 15. if he some how falls, i could see many teams moving up to grab him. although he does not play like burmistrov at all, teams took notice of what alex did as a rook this year in the atl, so believe me, there will be interest in this kid even if no one will admit it.

with the whole russian thing, no gm wants to be that guy who burns a 1 on this kid, only to come up empty- even though i do not subscribe to that paranoia. he would be the first pick in round 2 though, believe that.

i always put alot of stock in what happens at the combine. ive attended a few before when i was more active with the stars organization. as you know very well, thats where you really see these kids perform up close and those interviews can make or break a draft pick.

brodin will go late 1st. hell be gone by 2nd round but ya never know.

the cat will probably be 2nd rounder but hes a guy i could see a team reaching for in round 1. anytime after pick 20. one thing is for sure, someone will be getting one heck of a player. any one who can skate like that will have a job in the nhl. this kid is my darkhorse to become a bonafide nhl player. i really like his makeup, hands, love his motor and his skating takes your breath away.

as for ritchie, havent seen much of him to be honest. i was told last weekend to watch this kid rise and i expect he will. this kid is a gem. ifirst off, hes a heady player. natural feel for the game. and if you are right and he gets to 6'4- and i believe that looking at his freekin shoulders already, he will be an absolute monster.

some people love biggs, i like this kid better. hes got more goin on between the ears from what i was told.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:09 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

If a team like Florida or Edmonton is looking for another 1st round pick, would anyone consider trading our 1st this year for their 1st next year (plus a conditional pick if their pick ends up being worse).

We could get lucky, a la Boston with Seguin, or at the very least, we'd have two 1st round picks that we could use to trade up and get a real impact player.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
If a team like Florida or Edmonton is looking for another 1st round pick, would anyone consider trading our 1st this year for their 1st next year (plus a conditional pick if their pick ends up being worse).

We could get lucky, a la Boston with Seguin, or at the very least, we'd have two 1st round picks that we could use to trade up and get a real impact player.
I'd certainly consider it depending on the team, but I doubt we'll have any offers on the table like that. Maybe a deal like we had last June of Rundblad for the 16th overall (Tarasenko), but doubt it's pick for pick next year.

Closed Thread