HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Do You Think Of GMGM Now?

Old
05-11-2011, 03:44 PM
BamaCapsFan

vCash: 500
Here's what I think GMGM is doing. He was much less committal this year when queried about Boudreau's job. He's going to keep him on this summer, because honestly "does it really change anything?" - He's going to wait for what the team looks like next year. If there's continued struggle to pick up the system. If things go south for nearly 10 games like this did this year. If there's injuries to key people like goalies, and we lose because of it, he'll be gone. I would hope that if we don't bring the offense like we're capable of, that he'll be gone.

BamaCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 03:52 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCapsFan View Post
Here's what I think GMGM is doing. He was much less committal this year when queried about Boudreau's job. He's going to keep him on this summer, because honestly "does it really change anything?" - He's going to wait for what the team looks like next year. If there's continued struggle to pick up the system. If things go south for nearly 10 games like this did this year. If there's injuries to key people like goalies, and we lose because of it, he'll be gone. I would hope that if we don't bring the offense like we're capable of, that he'll be gone.

If McPhee lets Boudreau go, he'll be on his fifth coach during his tenure as GM. Sooner or later, it becomes comical. One may surmise that Boudreau's future with the Capitals is now tied to McPhee's.

dpj0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:06 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj0122 View Post
If McPhee lets Boudreau go, he'll be on his fifth coach during his tenure as GM. Sooner or later, it becomes comical. One may surmise that Boudreau's future with the Capitals is now tied to McPhee's.
Geez... you may be right.

Of course, that's only if the "current" overpowers the "collective"... eh?

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:34 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Fun fact: since their last Stanley Cup, Lou Lamoriello has hired 5 (soon to be 6) different head coaches. And that's in the last 6 years.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:47 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Fun fact: since their last Stanley Cup, Lou Lamoriello has hired 5 (soon to be 6) different head coaches. And that's in the last 6 years.
Fun fact. Lamoriello has won three Cups, including two since McPhee took over as GM of the Caps. And McPhee?

Old
05-11-2011, 05:50 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Fun fact. Lamoriello has won three Cups, including two since McPhee took over as GM of the Caps. And McPhee?
And you're proving my point for me: the number of coaches hired really has nothing to do with the quality of a GM.

Old
05-11-2011, 05:53 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
And you're proving my point for me: the number of coaches hired really has nothing to do with the quality of a GM.
Ah, no. The winning of a Stanley Cup by a gm (or coach for that matter) provides a certain level of confidence that one can get there again. McPHee has done zilch to earn such confidence...........And some of the coaches in New Jersey left of their own accord. Nice try though.

Old
05-11-2011, 05:58 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Ah, no. The winning of a Stanley Cup by a gm (or coach for that matter) provides a certain level of confidence that one can get there again. McPHee has done zilch to earn such confidence...........
So your point is what? If a GM hires new coaches at a high frequency, it's an indication that he's a bad GM. Unless, of course, that GM has won Cups in the past. In that case, it doesn't show anything?

Old
05-11-2011, 06:02 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
So your point is what? If a GM hires new coaches at a high frequency, it's an indication that he's a bad GM. Unless, of course, that GM has won Cups in the past. In that case, it doesn't show anything?
First of all, the issue isn't hiring coaches. It is hiring coaches that don't succeed. McPhee has yet to win anything with his hires. Lamorello has.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:07 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
First of all, the issue isn't hiring coaches. It is hiring coaches that don't succeed. McPhee has yet to win anything with his hires. Lamorello has.
Lamoriello's hired more unsuccessful coaches in the last 6 years than McPhee has in his entire tenure. So what's your point?

Old
05-11-2011, 06:10 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Lamoriello's hired more unsuccessful coaches in the last 6 years than McPhee has in his entire tenure. So what's your point?
Lameriello has won three Cups. He has hired coaches that have won Cups. McPhee hasn't hired any coaches that have won Cups and his next one would be his fifth strike. I think you really get the point, don't you?

Old
05-11-2011, 06:13 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Lameriello has won three Cups. He has hired coaches that have won Cups. McPhee hasn't hired any coaches that have won Cups and his next one would be his fifth strike. I think you really get the point, don't you?
I get the point that you think Lamoriello's failures in his last 5 coaching hires should be ignored because he previously won Cups. Just don't see how that relates to anything in this thread.

GMGM hired the 2 most successful coaches in the history of the franchise.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:18 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
I get the point that you think Lamoriello's failures in his last 5 coaching hires should be ignored because he previously won Cups. Just don't see how that relates to anything in this thread.

given that the Caps have never won a Cup, picking the "most successful" coaches of the Caps is kind of like asking Mrs. Lincoln to pick the best parts of the play..............But putting that aside, I find your claim to be ludicrous.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:41 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

How many Caps coaches have won an Eastern Conference title?

How many have won a Jack Adams and a Presidents trophy?

Right, my claim is ludicrous. Sure.

Old
05-11-2011, 07:15 PM
txpd

Quote:
given that the Caps have never won a Cup, picking the "most successful" coaches of the Caps is kind of like asking Mrs. Lincoln to pick the best parts of the play..............But putting that aside, I find your claim to be ludicrous.
so, here are the new rules. fire mcphee and boudreau. hire a gm who hires a coach. fail to win the cup, flush them both and try again. is that better?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:

LOL!
BB our mighty leader, best winning percentage of any Caps coach ever, it doesn't matter that he can't make it past the second round, he's awesome in the regular season.

Even you really can't even believe what you write anymore.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:57 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

It's not a lie if you believe....

George Costanza, 1990

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Capsman

Quote:
So every GM the Caps have ever had sucked. Poile never won a SC. He must have sucked, although he did pull off the Langway trade and make the Caps a perennial top team.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 08:47 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
LOL!
BB our mighty leader, best winning percentage of any Caps coach ever, it doesn't matter that he can't make it past the second round, he's awesome in the regular season.

Even you really can't even believe what you write anymore.
who would you name as the caps two most successful coaches if not wilson and boudreau?

Old
05-12-2011, 07:54 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Wow Lou has moved a lot of coaches. I guess holding onto coaches on through good times and bad is just the Capitals way of doing things. Its in our GM handbook. Like, we like right handed right D's - some things just get passed down through the years.

I remember Bryan Murray was here for a LONG time. Finally change! Then... oops its his brother Terry with basically the same DNA. Terry had a long run. It was like they were the same coach to me. So I am used to a coach being retained and try to be patient. Watching Hanlon was painful.

It doesn't always mean its best for the team no matter how good a guy they are.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 08:15 AM
txpd

lou has his way. coaching that team is a meat grinder for coaches and i'd suggest that is part of lou's make up he is as hard on coaches as tortorella is on goaltenders. almost as many as lou has unceramoniously canned have quit on him. the devils coaching job is not one of the better jobs in the league.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:10 AM
dpj0122

Quote:
How many Caps coaches have won an Eastern Conference title?

How many have won a Jack Adams and a Presidents trophy?

Right, my claim is ludicrous. Sure.
Yeah, ludicrous is the word. And don't talk to me about regular season and individual awards. Means nothing.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:11 AM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
So every GM the Caps have ever had sucked. Poile never won a SC. He must have sucked, although he did pull off the Langway trade and make the Caps a perennial top team.

Talk to me about Stanley Cups. All of the rest is B S.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:13 AM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
so, here are the new rules. fire mcphee and boudreau. hire a gm who hires a coach. fail to win the cup, flush them both and try again. is that better?
It is better than sticking with something that clearly isn't going to work.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:28 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Yeah, ludicrous is the word. And don't talk to me about regular season and individual awards. Means nothing.
If it's so ludicrous, come up with a counter-argument. Who are the two most successful coaches in the history of the Caps' franchise?