HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jaromir Jagr

View Poll Results: Do you think Jaromir will be back with the NYR (after retiring) in some capacity?
Yes, as a representative of the organization 11 8.66%
Yes, as a guest at special Ranger events 57 44.88%
No, Sather has permanently burned that bridge 68 53.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Not only Pittsburgh.

Tampa Bay could swing it. They pretty much have everything Jagr could want, especially if they signed Brad Richards too.

Imagine what that would be like around here, Jagr and Richards going to Tampa and NOT NY?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 03:31 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Guys, let's be honest here. I love Jags as much as anyone but that time has definitely come and go. Different team, different players, different coaching. His biggest ally in Renney is gone and the complete opposite of Renney in Torts is here. It's just not happening. If he does come back, it's to the Pens though I doubt if that even happens. I do hope the guy gets a standing ovation if he ever does come back to the NHL and plays a game at MSG.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 03:46 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I think you've only hit on half of the problem. On the flip side, Tampa has a young promising coach that has all his team singing praises upon, right now, late in the season, including Vinny who loves playing for him.
Well, I have tons of respect to TB guys. They fired the coach who tried play Torts with them again. His name was Barry.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 01:20 AM
hockeyman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Does Teemu "Mr Knee surgery after surgery" Selanne ring a bell?

Selanne is a year older than Jagr and had 80 Pts in 73 games to finish 8th in scoring. Over an 82 game schedule that's 90 Pts. Let's not forget that before Selanne's PPG seaon in 2010-11, he had 3 sub-par, injury ladden seasons in which he had only 125 Pts in 145 game (2007-08, 2008-09 and 2009-10). Jagr is healthy.

Selanne is a great player but Jagr is on level above him and I think people don't realize really how dominant Jagr was and how much of a physical freak he was.

Jagr is stronger, bigger, more skilled than Selanne.
Before I say this, let me just add so that we are clear that even with everything I've said about what I think is a realistic points expectation for Jagr next year should he come back to the NHL, I am still in favor of adding him to the Rangers if it can be done (provided Brad Richards gets signed first). I just don't see it happening with cap, although it could be possible depending on what RFA's get and would require extra players (13th and 14th forwards and 7th dman) coming in at the NHL minimum and definitely not keeping Gilroy unless he takes a sizeable pay cut (and waiving/demoting Boogaard and buying out Wolski and Drury).

But that said...

Selanne sure does ring a bell...but he scores a lot of his points on the powerplay, which helps pad his totals. You have Visnovsky and Fowler QBing a darn good powerplay over there, and Selanne basically plays right in front of the net in their system looking for space, blown coverages, deflections, and tap ins. He's not counted on to be the setup man. In an NYR powerplay, Jagr would be the main setup guy from his customary spot along the RW boards. Also no point threats to draw coverage away from him. I don't see him putting up Selanne like numbers on the PP.

Also Selanne wasn't a PPG player from 2006-07 until this year. He's been close, but I'd put him at a 70 point pace. I put Jagr in a similar class as Selanne, different skill sets but same kinds of total overall skill. Selanne is better at getting to scoring areas without the puck. Jagr is better as a playmaker, with puck possession, and has a deadly shot when he can get open enough to use it.

65 points from an FA winger is still a hell of a lot better than we're going to get from anyone else...(like those calling for Gagne...NO)...plus the most important part is he'll make everyone on the team better, increase team time in the offensive zone, and also therefore logically help cut down the number of shots on Lundqvist. I don't see a problem b/w him and Tortorella. Guy comes to play.

Last edited by hockeyman001: 05-12-2011 at 01:36 AM.
hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 01:33 AM
hockeyman001

Just for fun (*click the image to view full size):

A wishful thinking "possibility"

View full size

Old
05-12-2011, 01:41 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

drury just magically disappeared aye?

btw, anyone know how to do buyouts on that screen he has posted there? ive never been able to figure out how to make it work...theres a buyout section, but i cant drag names into it like i would assume you could.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 01:42 AM
hockeyman001

Tortorella is not a "disciplinarian" and given the success the two had in TB I don't see why Richards would "not want to come here."

Tortorella cares only that his players play smart and make a full effort, and if they do that win or lose he will stand up for them...as maligned as Redden was, the few times Redden did make an effort and the media made fun of him for it, Torts stuck up for Redden.

Torts stuck up for Redden last training camp when he played well, despite the fact it was near certain he'd get sent down to clear cap space...refusing to declare Redden out of the team picture (at least publicly and officially) until training camp had ended and Sauer got his job.

If his players make an effort and play smart, he'll defend them...and he never criticizes them publicly when they don't, he just yells at them privately. I don't think players like Richards would mind that...play hard and smart and everything will be fine. He's been doing that his whole career, so there's nothing to worry about.

Old
05-12-2011, 01:43 AM
hockeyman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
drury just magically disappeared aye?

btw, anyone know how to do buyouts on that screen he has posted there? ive never been able to figure out how to make it work...theres a buyout section, but i cant drag names into it like i would assume you could.
Look closely. I can't get the buyouts to work either so I just created "buyout players" with the cap hit figures of players I advocate buying out as if they actual salaries.

Because I am not actually advocating the Rangers sign a 5th line center named "CD23 buyout" or a third extra forward named "WW86 buyout", ya know? (Heard those guys were sick in juniors....buh dum tsshh)

Old
05-12-2011, 01:48 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman001 View Post
Look closely. I can't get the buyouts to work either so I just created "buyout players" with the cap hit figures of players I advocate buying out as if they actual salaries.

Because I am not actually advocating the Rangers sign a 5th line center named "CD23 buyout" or a third extra forward named "WW86 buyout", ya know? (Heard those guys were sick in juniors....buh dum tsshh)
ahh, just skimmed it, shoulda read it proper...

Old
05-12-2011, 01:49 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww jason strudwick

Old
05-12-2011, 01:51 AM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Quote:

The only way I'd want Strudwick here is if he retired and became a motivational coach. He's in the running for worst player in the NHL.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 02:01 AM
hockeyman001

Quote:
He's pretty awful, but...got any better ideas for a 7th dman that would come at the NHL minimum and wouldn't require much playing time (ie not a developing kid)?? hah

Old
05-12-2011, 03:28 AM
dank

Quote:
He's pretty awful, but...got any better ideas for a 7th dman that would come at the NHL minimum and wouldn't require much playing time (ie not a developing kid)?? hah
dude.. he was meh max 2 years ago!

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 04:34 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Just for fun (*click the image to view full size):

A wishful thinking "possibility"

View full size
FIXED IT FOR YA ... lol

FORWARDS
Vinny Prospal ($1.800m- 1 year) / Brad Richards ($7.000m - 5 years) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.800m - 4 years) / Artem Anisimov ($1.800m - 2 years) / Ryan Callahan ($3.300m -4 years)
Evgeny Grachev or Carl Hagelin /Kreider?/ (MAX $0.816m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Jaromir Jagr ($6.000m - 1 year)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brian Boyle ($1.000m - 2 years) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Anton Babchuk ($1.600m - 2 years)
Michael Del Zotto or Pavel Valentenko (MAX $1.087m) / Mike Sauer ($1.300m - 2 years)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS
Drury ($3.716m)
Wolski ($0.416m)

TRADES
MZA at draft for Detroit 3rd rounder - best for him actually
Christ at draft for FLA 5th (or 6th) rounder
Dealing Wolski (without salary back) at the draft would save an additional 416.667 dollars

RETIREMENT/DEMOTION
Boogeyman

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,150,000; BONUSES: $800,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $1,300,000

Still a little space for a 7th D and/or a 13th FW (maybe Mitchell/Newbury/Weise/goon + ev Gilroy/Eminger)
(Grachev, Hagelin, MDZ, Valentenko and ev Kreider are all waiver exempt)
Wait until training camp to "officially" sign Prospal + Jagr after waiving Redden
Voila --- summer cap is fixed...

NEVER GONNA HAPPEN THOUGH.... drool

Last edited by BBKers: 05-12-2011 at 05:11 AM.
BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 06:24 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Obviously signing Gomez was a massive blunder for a variety of reasons, but the fact that Gomez was supposedly brought in to set up Jagr so he could score more goals was just poor judgment on Sather's part. At that point in his career, Jagr was starting to rely more on his playmaking ability than scoring goals. Jagr didn't need a playmaker on his line because he WAS the playmaker (and a far superior one to Gomez at that).. he would have been better served playing with a center like Drury or a scoring winger that could finish his passes.

If Jagr had been on the Rangers the past few seasons, he would have been our best playmaker by far. His vision and ability to anticipate the play is so much better than anyone on our team currently. And he would still be able to dominate and take over games from time to time like he did today. He's really an extraordinary talent.
A lot of misstakes have been made in the front-office of the NYR.

But that was one of the most obvious ones that you could see coming for a really long time, and it hit us really hard.

For some -- insane -- reason people/media/brass got the impression that JJ + and this sounds like a joke now but it true, players that "just would shoot the puck" = contender.

After the lockout we were soft as hell (anyone remember those Philly games when we got run over shift after shift after ****?). We had a horrible blueline. We were really small. But we were talented and could for long stretches litterary dominate very good teams. I got a game between us and Ottawa from 05', and remember that this is a Ottawa team with Alfie, Spezza, Heatly, Havlat, Chara, Hasek, Redden, Philips, Volchenko and co, and they could basically not even get over the redline for 90% of the time. We pwned them.

Look, if anyone wants, they can argue that players walked out on us. That Slats had no options. That the vets might have been good in 05' but wouldn't have been good in 08' anyway, they were too old -- etc. etc. etc.

But facts are that long before they left, we replaced them. Facts are that -- no doubt -- Nyls, Rucinsky and Straka's impact on the team was very underrated. In no way was it their fault that we weren't contenders, the players around them were too small and not good enough. That's fact. Like imagine that team with our blueline of today and like Dubi-AA-Cally as the 2nd line.

The bottome line is that that misstake definitely did not cost us the cup or something like that. At least that's very unlikely. But, we should of course have rebuilt the team around Straka, Nyls and JJ instead of Gomez, Drury and Redden. Nyls were hurt in Washington playing thirdline grinding hockey with guys like Clarke on his wings, he wouldn't have been hurt playing with JJ. Straka is the type who can skate until he is 40 y/o.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 07:41 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I know better than the author of that article. You have just two months before starting eat the crows. Or I do. We'll see.
Not really - it can also come down to another team with a better offer than the NYR (hello, Toronto) or the Rangers just not being able to come up with the cap space to sign Richards after they extend Callahan, Dubinsky, & AA. We might never know.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 09:19 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Not really - it can also come down to another team with a better offer than the NYR (hello, Toronto) or the Rangers just not being able to come up with the cap space to sign Richards after they extend Callahan, Dubinsky, & AA. We might never know.
Sure we will. What you posted will be an exact explanation of Rangers propaganda when Richards signs elsewhere.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:31 AM
94now

Quote:
Tortorella is not a "disciplinarian" .
If he isn't, who is? I didn't call him a-whole anything similar to what you apparently replied. Disciplinarians wins as much player's coaches. Keenan, Hitchcock, Burns as well as Tortorella are just a few of many. I don't think Richards needs that at this point of his carrer. he wants to have good partners to have fun playing. For that he needs some stars signed along. Thus, he wants a club w/o penny counting owner, something Stars have become of late. Rangers are going in different direction, due to long term implication of Sather mishandling the cap AKA Drury-Gomez-Redden disaster. They will not spend for a different reason. Plus they have Torts.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:42 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

So you'll just take any reason to bash this club, huh? Yeah, I'm sure the organization will have to release propaganda if Richards doesn't sign here. Pathetic. And let's ignore the fact that Torts and Schony have said that the organization will go after the guy they need. Please, let me know when you can make an argument that's not blinded by ridiculous assumption and hate for the organization, because right now you're talking out of your ass and ignoring the few facts relevant in this entire situation.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 09:56 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Yeah Jagr had 3 goals at 39 but he's not good enough to resign. Thanks Sather. Thanks for signing Chris Drury, Gaborik, and Redden.

But you let Jagr go? The ONLY reason this team was even relevant in the past 12 years?

Sather is a joke and so is this team. If anyone thinks this team is going anywhere...I, or Glen Sather and Dolan, have a bridge to sell you.

Most of you have already purchased that bridge, though.

Watching other teams in the playoffs makes me realize how much talent we don't have. It's pathetic.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 10:06 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Yeah Jagr had 3 goals at 39 but he's not good enough to resign. Thanks Sather. Thanks for signing Chris Drury, Gaborik, and Redden.

But you let Jagr go? The ONLY reason this team was even relevant in the past 12 years?

Sather is a joke and so is this team. If anyone thinks this team is going anywhere...I, or Glen Sather and Dolan, have a bridge to sell you.

Most of you have already purchased that bridge, though.

Watching other teams in the playoffs makes me realize how much talent we don't have. It's pathetic.
Same here. We should be talking about letting Jagr go this summer, instead of considering his return in any form.

Old
05-12-2011, 10:09 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
So you'll just take any reason to bash this club, huh? Yeah, I'm sure the organization will have to release propaganda if Richards doesn't sign here. Pathetic. And let's ignore the fact that Torts and Schony have said that the organization will go after the guy they need. Please, let me know when you can make an argument that's not blinded by ridiculous assumption and hate for the organization, because right now you're talking out of your ass and ignoring the few facts relevant in this entire situation.
I bash it's management, not the club. I bash people who think that it's important not to step on logo, yet were okay to made carpet with it.

Old
05-12-2011, 10:52 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Sure we will. What you posted will be an exact explanation of Rangers propaganda when Richards signs elsewhere.
That's just asinine. If Toronto offers Richards $8+ million/season and he accepts it, then he signed there because of the MONEY not because of TORTORELLA.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:20 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Jagr THRIVED in New York..

Gaborik FOLDED like a paper airplane....

We are stuck with all of these mistakes, and we won't be getting out of the first round in the foreseeable future.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:31 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
That's just asinine. If Toronto offers Richards $8+ million/season and he accepts it, then he signed there because of the MONEY not because of TORTORELLA.
So you think. How about he signs there for same amount sans canadian taxes difference?