HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For Flyers, top goalie a priority (Also, Philly.com article in post #23)

Old
05-11-2011, 07:32 PM
decadentia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I just get the horrible feeling that we will be going into the next season with the same goaltenders we have now, and it will make me sad.
Have no fear, i'm sure we'll take a gamble on Theodore or Nabokov.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:08 PM
BernieParent

Simple solution, really: Snider buys the Coyotes, resigns Bryzgalov, then trades him to the Flyers for Carle, Shelley and Leighton.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 09:47 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Simple solution, really: Snider buys the Coyotes, resigns Bryzgalov, then trades him to the Flyers for Carle, Shelley and Leighton.
If only...

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:22 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

See this is the caveat to Snider's "for public consumption statement" about the goaltending situation.

Quote:
Told that the fan base was lamenting about needing a true No. 1 goalie for a few decades, Snider fired back: “I want one, too.”

He paused.

“So either one of the goalies we have has to step up in training camp, or we have to make improvements to make sure it happens. But we are NEVER going to go through the goalie issues we’ve gone through in the last couple of years again.”
We shall see but right now this is more PR than anything. Holmgren hasn't the best of options with the goaltending market without giving up more than he has to from the cap strapped roster. Last year was a different situation....he could have addressed it much more effectively and cheaper but he chose to blow his load on Leighton, Shelley, Walker, and to an extent Carcillo and Zherdev.

Even last season during the Dec timeframe Halak was on the block but he chose to pass for whatever reason which is still inconclusive to this day. Apparently Halak was offered to the Flyers but no counteroffer was made. Rumors are that they wanted Carter but never confirmed..publicly Habs GM said he had to be realistic and not accept too much.

Here is the story...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=302443

Obviously that year Roloson was an option as well and same this year as we all know.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:26 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Even last season during the Dec timeframe Halak was on the block but he chose to pass for whatever reason which is still inconclusive to this day. Apparently Halak was offered to the Flyers but no counteroffer was made. Rumors are that they wanted Carter but never confirmed..publicly Habs GM said he had to be realistic and not accept too much.
Quick question...

Would you rather have James vanRiemsdyk or Giroux or Carter or Halak?

You get three of four...

And if you say Halak, I'm not above slapping you.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:30 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Quick question...

You get three of four...

Please cite where Montreal wanted those players and then I will answer your hypothetical question....

Old
05-11-2011, 10:31 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Quick question...

You get three of four...

How about two prospects? You know, like what he was traded for? Hell, ill go beyond that since arguably Maroon wasn't as good a prospect as Eller...two prospects and Carle. That covers most of his salary, and likely would be a better package.

Old
05-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Breeze 44

It really doesn't matter who we get because this fanbase ( also known as clowns and hypocrites) will dissect EVERY goal given up and tear that guy down just like they always do. ***% Leighton had 3 shut-outs in one series and all the credit went to the D..............you'll never be happy and I'll say it again, eventually you would have booed and whined about Pelle.....(RIP)

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:55 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 44 View Post
It really doesn't matter who we get because this fanbase ( also known as clowns and hypocrites) will dissect EVERY goal given up and tear that guy down just like they always do. ***% Leighton had 3 shut-outs in one series and all the credit went to the D..............you'll never be happy and I'll say it again, eventually you would have booed and whined about Pelle.....(RIP)
Cool, which group are you in? I'm just asking so I can give you the appropriate attire for our tea parties.

Admittedly you are right bout the dissecting part, but defending Leighton for past accomplishments is irrelevant. Leighton is a good first save goalie who lets off horrible rebounds, and must be coddled by defensemen. It'has been quite some time since we've actually had a good goalie. Leighton is waiver wire, he's not Vokoun/Bryzgalov.

Old
05-11-2011, 10:58 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

LOL-eighton! Guy is like a hemaroid....

Old
05-11-2011, 11:18 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Irritating on the back end, you get embarrassed if he's scratched, and is responsible for seeing too much red?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:20 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Irritating on the back end, you get embarrassed if he's scratched, and is responsible for seeing too much red?
He needs to be neutralized once and for all with some Prep H or better yet complete removal by the butt doctor....

Old
05-11-2011, 11:29 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
LO(L - 8 - Ton [of goals against])

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 12:19 AM
lefty2time*

Ive been saying that Philly needs either a proven no.1 or a top end G prospect for like 7 or 8 years on this board. Some of the Philly fans on here were not agreeing with me....i remember some were defending the Emery move LOL.
Good to see that you all finally agree.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
Ive been saying that Philly needs either a proven no.1 or a top end G prospect for like 7 or 8 years on this board. Some of the Philly fans on here were not agreeing with me....i remember some were defending the Emery move LOL.
Good to see that you all finally agree.
August 2010 and 7-8 years do not compute... Who are you?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 12:30 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
August 2010 and 7-8 years do not compute... Who are you?
Maybe he's come through some kind of black hole/vortex...the same one Holmgren originated and travels back into via his worm hole...

Old
05-12-2011, 01:34 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 44 View Post
Leighton sucks.
Boucher blows.

This team hasnt hasnt had a game changing goalie in 25 years. A goalie that can steal a game and a series. All we have had for the most part are a bunch of could of beens, would of beens, nut jobs, rebound machines. Would you like me to go on?
There is a reason why people have been questioning our goaltending for 25 years. Because its legit. Its not just the fanbase. its the local media, the national media(Canada and the US)
You are right, I along with the fanbase that has been paying attention havent been happy with our goaltending for a long time. If you are happy with Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher as your goalies then well you really have accepted mediocrity.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 03:36 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

This year, there are significant options to upgrade in goal. If we could get Vokoun on a nice contract, i would cream my pants.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 09:06 AM
MrHockey1982

Snider wants a goalie, too

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...oalie-too.html

Well my fellow Flyers fans, it finally looks like he has seen the light! It's gonna be tough for Homer not to upgrade to a better goaltender now since his job will likely be on the line if he does not. Let's Go Flyers!!!!

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

The problem is, it doesn't matter which goalie, of every FA goalies in the world, Homer signs, it'll still be an upgrade

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
How about two prospects? You know, like what he was traded for? Hell, ill go beyond that since arguably Maroon wasn't as good a prospect as Eller...two prospects and Carle. That covers most of his salary, and likely would be a better package.
Eller was an excellent prospect, and a good NHL player too. Maroon is neither. He's a ball hockey player who never put the work in on his skating to be an NHLer. Pity because he had tremendous hands and offensive instincts.

On top of all that, there is NO WAY the Montreal was going to trade Halak within the East, and esp. to the Flyers, so the whole point is moot.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 10:18 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I think he has to be 35 by June 30th to be part of the 35+ contract.
I'm not sure about that. Pronger signed his extension as a 34 year old, but the Flyers were informed that Pronger would be 35 when the extension kicked in, it counts as a 35 contract.

I'm pretty sure that the 35 rule comes in when the season starts. If Vokoun signs the contract as a 34 year old, but if he turns 35 before the season starts, the contract counts as a 35 rule. Either way, it's a bizarre rule.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 10:22 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Eller was an excellent prospect, and a good NHL player too. Maroon is neither. He's a ball hockey player who never put the work in on his skating to be an NHLer. Pity because he had tremendous hands and offensive instincts.

On top of all that, there is NO WAY the Montreal was going to trade Halak within the East, and esp. to the Flyers, so the whole point is moot.
I'm nitpicking but Maroon wasn't a ball hockey player, he was a roller hockey player haha.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 10:25 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Leighton sucks.
Boucher blows.

This team hasnt hasnt had a game changing goalie in 25 years. A goalie that can steal a game and a series. All we have had for the most part are a bunch of could of beens, would of beens, nut jobs, rebound machines. Would you like me to go on?
There is a reason why people have been questioning our goaltending for 25 years. Because its legit. Its not just the fanbase. its the local media, the national media(Canada and the US)
You are right, I along with the fanbase that has been paying attention havent been happy with our goaltending for a long time. If you are happy with Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher as your goalies then well you really have accepted mediocrity.
Goalies are always a bit nutty. The last real good goaltender the Flyers had was Cechmanek. People can rip him all they want, but he gave the Flyers every opportunity to win. It wasn't his fault the guys in front of him couldn't buy a goal if his life depended on it. Yeah, Cechmanek called them out on it, but he was very good and wasn't a part of the problem.

Same with Vanbiesbrouck. The amount of hate he got was ridiculous. Once again, against the Leafs, he gave the Flyers a chance to win every game. However, when the team is scoring under two goals a game, there's not much the goaltender can do. Those two were both more than adequate goaltenders.

Yes, I do agree though this off season that Holmgren needs to address the goaltending for once and for all. No more stop gaps, no more throwing crap at a wall and seeing what sticks, no more minor league saviours, no more European wonders. It's time to get a bona fide goaltender for once and for all.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 10:45 AM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm not sure about that. Pronger signed his extension as a 34 year old, but the Flyers were informed that Pronger would be 35 when the extension kicked in, it counts as a 35 contract.

I'm pretty sure that the 35 rule comes in when the season starts. If Vokoun signs the contract as a 34 year old, but if he turns 35 before the season starts, the contract counts as a 35 rule. Either way, it's a bizarre rule.
I think it's 35 by July 1st, because remember Pronger had had a year left on his contract. So by the time the extension kicked in on July 1st of the following year he was 35.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote