HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jaromir Jagr

View Poll Results: Do you think Jaromir will be back with the NYR (after retiring) in some capacity?
Yes, as a representative of the organization 11 8.66%
Yes, as a guest at special Ranger events 57 44.88%
No, Sather has permanently burned that bridge 68 53.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-12-2011, 11:36 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
So you think. How about he signs there for same amount sans canadian taxes difference?
I don't think he'll end up in Toronto, really. I think it probably comes down to Dallas, LA, or the Rangers.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:39 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
I don't think he'll end up in Toronto, really. I think it probably comes down to Dallas, LA, or the Rangers.
I don't know. All I know he's not coming here. He sees Gaborik, who wanted to go VAN, but went to NY because Sedins were signed there. Now, all Gaborik got is money. No fun playing with robots programmed by Torts.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
So you think. How about he signs there for same amount sans canadian taxes difference?
Since when does anyone sign with the Rangers for less than top dollar?

If Richards somehow takes somewhat of a discount to play here, then you can say it's because of Torts. But if he signs for the highest bidder or a reasonable contract somewhere else, I don't see how the coach would be the only thing to blame. It's NYC. Free Agents either come here as one last stop before retirement, or to cash in on a ridiculous contracts.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Jagr THRIVED in New York..

Gaborik FOLDED like a paper airplane....

We are stuck with all of these mistakes, and we won't be getting out of the first round in the foreseeable future.
That paper airplane sure got alot of airtime after a 40/40 season in 09-10..

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
I don't know. All I know he's not coming here. He sees Gaborik, who wanted to go VAN, but went to NY because Sedins were signed there. Now, all Gaborik got is money. No fun playing with robots programmed by Torts.
lol wat

Old
05-12-2011, 12:50 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Since when does anyone sign with the Rangers for less than top dollar?

If Richards somehow takes somewhat of a discount to play here, then you can say it's because of Torts. But if he signs for the highest bidder or a reasonable contract somewhere else, I don't see how the coach would be the only thing to blame. It's NYC. Free Agents either come here as one last stop before retirement, or to cash in on a ridiculous contracts.
You know your Rangers, don't you?
One thing is different. Since Keenan we had no problems with country club conditions here. Now we don't. Torts did the right thing for the youth, wrong thing for UFAs. Should we have another Richards coming from farm, he would nave been an okay HC to have. The only one who might be anyhow close, at least dimensionally, and also skating wise and demeanor wise is the guy shown on my avatar. If Torts think he can make another Richards clone out of him, if he really thinks there is such potential, I will root for Torts. But I don't think Arty will survive Sather's desire to recover from his mistakes since AA is the most valuable asset he's got.

Old
05-12-2011, 12:57 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
That paper airplane sure got alot of airtime after a 40/40 season in 09-10..
yeah what happened when you introduced the slightest bit of adversity? Exactly... thanks.

I do, however, LOVE the avatar, and am stealing it haha.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
You know your Rangers, don't you?
One thing is different. Since Keenan we had no problems with country club conditions here. Now we don't. Torts did the right thing for the youth, wrong thing for UFAs. Should we have another Richards coming from farm, he would nave been an okay HC to have. The only one who might be anyhow close, at least dimensionally, and also skating wise and demeanor wise is the guy shown on my avatar. If Torts think he can make another Richards clone out of him, if he really thinks there is such potential, I will root for Torts. But I don't think Arty will survive Sather's desire to recover from his mistakes since AA is the most valuable asset he's got.
But if Sather stays true to recent form and does decide to make a trade for say a scoring winger, I see him dealing Boyle + instead of AA.

Maybe I am overly optimistic but I think Sather knows he is on thin ice with Rangers fans in regards to trading homegrown kids.

AA may be moved as a last resort but only for a high end winger. Think overpayment from the other team. Sather really is a good trader.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
yeah what happened when you introduced the slightest bit of adversity? Exactly... thanks.

I do, however, LOVE the avatar, and am stealing it haha.
How was there more adversity this year than last? Both years we were in a tight playoff race, and you could actually say there was more pressure in 09-10 because he was relied upon to be our only source of offense.

Old
05-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Let's not confuse Gaborik's piss-poor showing down the stretch and in the playoffs for a lack of caring. He was a textbook case of a guy losing his confidence and not being able to find his game. He had a lot of chances in the playoffs that either just missed or he shot right into baby Neuvirth's chest. If he's got his confidence, he's burying those chances in the corners or through the five hole. Could he have tried to change his game, play more physical? Probably, but that's never been his game. He was trying hard, often trying to do TOO much, because he just didn't have confidence with the puck on his stick. Whether that's because he never fully recovered from his shoulder surgery, or just didn't have the strength in his arm, the bottom line is that he wasn't able to play with the swagger that he has when he's finding the back of the net. He may go back to scoring 40+ next year, or he may not. I would see what other teams would be willing to give up for him, but if there isn't enough quality interest, then you have to keep him. I'd trade him for Jack Johnson+, but I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a deal that includes a legit young talent while also providing cap relief.

At this point, Jagr is a pipe-dream. Last year would've been the year to try to get him back here. It's over. I wish it wasn't, but it is. He's going to be 40 soon. He had a great run here, set a record for goals, and did his best to lead more than one Rangers teams in the playoffs. Let the past stay where it is.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 01:16 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
How was there more adversity this year than last? Both years we were in a tight playoff race, and you could actually say there was more pressure in 09-10 because he was relied upon to be our only source of offense.
He's a total head-case, dude. You don't see this? Sure, he had a good year last year, and things went fairly smooth. This year, he had injuries, then huge slumps, the coach got on him, the fans and the media got on him. How did he handle all that? He got progressively worse and worse. He can't handle adversity.... He's a soft player, both mentally and physically. Yet another TERRIBLE signing by the worst GM in team history.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 01:22 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
He's a total head-case, dude. You don't see this? Sure, he had a good year last year, and things went fairly smooth. This year, he had injuries, then huge slumps, the coach got on him, the fans and the media got on him. How did he handle all that? He got progressively worse and worse. He can't handle adversity.... He's a soft player, both mentally and physically. Yet another TERRIBLE signing by the worst GM in team history.
You post some variation of this in every single thread that mentions gaborik. I like how sure you are of your psychiatric evaluation of his "mental softness", while his 42 goal season is cast to the side as nothing b/c it doesnt prove your point about not being able to handle NY and Torts.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 01:29 PM
mullichicken25

1 great year gaborik is the second coming of Jesus Christ

1 bad year and he is a steaming pile of dog ****

any body think there's a possiblility that the truth lies somewhere in the middle?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 01:59 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Welcome to HFNYR, where a thread titled "Torts for Adams/Fire Torts" is an actual necessary thread.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Jagr THRIVED in New York..

Gaborik FOLDED like a paper airplane....

We are stuck with all of these mistakes, and we won't be getting out of the first round in the foreseeable future.
Gabby scored 80something points 2 seasons ago, as a ranger if im not mistaken.

how is that folding? 1 bad season does not a career make.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 02:05 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Welcome to HFNYR, where a thread titled "Torts for Adams/Fire Torts" is an actual necessary thread.
if i had a sig, that would be in it

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
1 great year gaborik is the second coming of Jesus Christ

1 bad year and he is a steaming pile of dog ****

any body think there's a possiblility that the truth lies somewhere in the middle?
i look at his career, and i see 1 HUGE outlier...last season.

no, i think the truth is a lot closer to his first year here.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 02:16 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
But if Sather stays true to recent form and does decide to make a trade for say a scoring winger, I see him dealing Boyle + instead of AA.

Maybe I am overly optimistic but I think Sather knows he is on thin ice with Rangers fans in regards to trading homegrown kids.

AA may be moved as a last resort but only for a high end winger. Think overpayment from the other team. Sather really is a good trader.
The problem is he should decide before AA shows any signs of fulfiled promice. If AA would become another Dubi and have to be on the wing to play top 6, or even if Arty would become next Tim Taylor, then no matter how happy everyone will be here, not signing #1C would be viewed as an error. That is because next chance could be after Slats retirement (whether it would be forced or voluntary).

Old
05-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
I'm gunna give him the benefit of the doubt and say he bounces back next year.

I'll bet I'm right.

Old
05-12-2011, 04:19 PM
hockeyman001

Quote:
Actually he was one of the best Rangers in the playoffs (along with Fedotenko, AA, Boyle, and Dubinsky). He generated a lot of chances that just didn't wind up in the back of the net.

S*** happens. However he did improve his game in the playoffs, just didn't get the points to show for it.

He still scored 80 points last year as the sole source of offense. He looked better this year when Prospal came back to give him someone that at least knows how to pass the puck to play with. Prospal was a big part of Gaborik getting 80 points.

For the third time, Gaborik is a goal scorer and a shooter, he is not a puck carrier...he can carry the puck but he is at his best when he doesn't have to, or when he carries it at full stride do to a proper pass instead of every time he goes for a breakaway the pass is behind him or in his skates.

How many breakaway goals did he score last year?

Now how many this year? Big difference.

IF Jagr happens (seems this year Jagr's plans are the most up in the air they've been since he went to the KHL), it takes pressure off Gaborik to have to grind/cycle, AND to be a puck protector. That only makes the whole team better.

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 04:22 PM
hockeyman001

Quote:
The problem is he should decide before AA shows any signs of fulfiled promice. If AA would become another Dubi and have to be on the wing to play top 6, or even if Arty would become next Tim Taylor, then no matter how happy everyone will be here, not signing #1C would be viewed as an error. That is because next chance could be after Slats retirement (whether it would be forced or voluntary).
I see Anisimov as a great two way center and a Selke candidate someday. Way more offensive skill than Tim Taylor could ever dream of. I don't think he'll ever play as physical as Dubi though. You're right though he does have to work on his faceoffs. No way he should be moved unless the return is an absolute STEAL with no injury history and a reasonable contract.

Old
05-13-2011, 01:45 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Good old times

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:06 AM
hockeyman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
Good old times

Loved this one (the Prucha goal): http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...2,996&fr=false

Old
05-13-2011, 07:29 PM
trilobyte

It didn't work out, and it is not Sather's 'fault'. I think he did the right thing by just saying no.
There was no bitter taste in my mouth from this, just acknowledgement that the Jagr era was ending.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 03:00 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=518295

Sounds like JJ may really be coming back to the NHL next season....