HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Junior pool for Philadelphia Flyers made up of low-round picks and free agents

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2011, 01:00 PM
  #1
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country:
Posts: 7,331
vCash: 500
Junior pool for Philadelphia Flyers made up of low-round picks and free agents

The Flyers have a large junior prospect pool, made up mostly of mid-to-late round draft picks and free agent signings.

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:26 PM
  #2
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Where the hell did this kid Akeson come from? 4th in scoring across all of Canadian Juniors?

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:33 PM
  #3
JVR21
G
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 7,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Where the hell did this kid Akeson come from? 4th in scoring across all of Canadian Juniors?
Signed him a few months back as an undrafted FA.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:46 PM
  #4
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Where the hell did this kid Akeson come from? 4th in scoring across all of Canadian Juniors?
as 20 year old

don't get your hopes up

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 08:13 PM
  #5
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!
 
Coppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Man. Its almost like we haven't had too many high draft picks the last couple years...

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 08:25 PM
  #6
whatthef
Failure is an Option
 
whatthef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Darby
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
We have to have the worst prospect pool in the league right? The only team that might be worse that I can think of is Calgary.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 08:48 PM
  #7
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
as 20 year old

don't get your hopes up
Well points really dont matter, but he put 80 as a 19 year old, and 64 as a 18. Points wise wasnt bad at all. It will come down to if he can translate to the pro level.

But yea he could EASILY (as in most likely happening) turn into a Luke Pither.


Last edited by sa cyred: 05-11-2011 at 08:55 PM.
sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 02:20 PM
  #8
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,894
vCash: 500
I cringe when I look at this prospect pool.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 02:33 PM
  #9
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,930
vCash: 500
In other breaking news, water is wet.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 06:30 PM
  #10
CanuckistanFlyerfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
In other breaking news, water is wet.
Ya, personally I'm more excited about Aaron Ekblad.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 08:47 PM
  #11
flountown
Registered User
 
flountown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
In other breaking news, water is wet.
More breaking news, there is, in fact, dry water...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...dry-water.html

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 09:00 PM
  #12
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
More breaking news, there is, in fact, dry water...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...dry-water.html
Mind = blown.

If that's possible, so is a legitimate starter in Philadelphia.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 10:57 PM
  #13
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Mind = blown.

If that's possible, so is a legitimate starter in Philadelphia.
Nope, that's impossible.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:26 PM
  #14
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close
 
SeanVT395's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 500
Still most interested in Ranford, love his style of play. His skating on the other hand...

I'm not terribly excited about Akeson either, I mean he was dominating against kids 3-4 years younger than him. Age difference in juniors is colossal compared to pros.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:31 PM
  #15
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
Still most interested in Ranford, love his style of play. His skating on the other hand...

I'm not terribly excited about Akeson either, I mean he was dominating against kids 3-4 years younger than him. Age difference in juniors is colossal compared to pros.
Um. Try 1-2 years younger than him.

I know what you're trying to say, but let's be clear, most CHLers are 18-19. Few are 17 or 20.

And no, I'm not particularly excited about anyone but Ranford. Akeson needs to show me what he can do in pros and Ranford needs to powerskate until he can't walk.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:32 PM
  #16
leoleo3535
Registered User
 
leoleo3535's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hockey rinks
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Two of the biggest happenings of the season for Manning + Ranford were their suspensions and yet there is no mention of this in the article.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:35 PM
  #17
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoleo3535 View Post
Two of the biggest happenings of the season for Manning + Ranford were their suspensions and yet there is no mention of this in the article.
I'm not so sure that those were major factors in the season at all. Sure they were suspended, but I think the late-season slides experienced by both players are a little more telling.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:01 AM
  #18
leoleo3535
Registered User
 
leoleo3535's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hockey rinks
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I'm not so sure that those were major factors in the season at all. Sure they were suspended, but I think the late-season slides experienced by both players are a little more telling.
Fair enough.
I watched all Kamloops and all Chilliwack games this season.
The 2 teams were big time rivals, fights and brutal hits every game.

Manning + Ranford played for said clubs.
Both received lengthy suspensions.....2 of the longer suspensions of the year.

Ranford's suspension was a huge hit to Kamloops playoff drive.
Manning's suspension was for a hit from behind on a Kamloops d man......also played a huge role in Kamloops missing the playoffs and also added fuel to the rivalry.

Manning certainly didn't experience anything of a "late-season slide".
6 goals and 13 points in his last 11 games.

Suspensions and injuries were big issues with both players.
The reason for the suspensions was also very newsworthy- breaking a players neck and abusing an official.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:38 AM
  #19
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoleo3535 View Post
Fair enough.
I watched all Kamloops and all Chilliwack games this season.
The 2 teams were big time rivals, fights and brutal hits every game.

Manning + Ranford played for said clubs.
Both received lengthy suspensions.....2 of the longer suspensions of the year.

Ranford's suspension was a huge hit to Kamloops playoff drive.
Manning's suspension was for a hit from behind on a Kamloops d man......also played a huge role in Kamloops missing the playoffs and also added fuel to the rivalry.

Manning certainly didn't experience anything of a "late-season slide".
6 goals and 13 points in his last 11 games.

Suspensions and injuries were big issues with both players.
The reason for the suspensions was also very newsworthy- breaking a players neck and abusing an official.
Here's the real issue at hand though.

Do you see Ranford's suspension being indicative of a specific pattern of behavior? There are rumors about him vs. his coach, but has he ever been a player to specifically do things like this to cause problems for his own team?

Not that I've seen.

What about Manning? Manning has always played with a physical edge, but he has never done something this serious before. I consider this a little more newsworthy than Ranford's incident, but I still don't think it is at the heart of what Manning brings to the Flyers' organization after a year of play.

Should I have mentioned these incidents? Possibly, but in the end, I didn't even really think about them when writing the article. That, in and of itself, should tell you how much weight I put into both players' suspensions this year.

In terms of the WHL organizations they currently represent, these are possibly heavyweight issues for the 2010-11 season. For the future of the Flyers organization, I don't see these incidents having extreme weight on the expectations we have for either player going forward.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 10:35 AM
  #20
stick
Registered User
 
stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Man. Its almost like we haven't had too many high draft picks the last couple years...


Uncle Ed has let Dummy Paul trade away all the high picks.

stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 11:12 AM
  #21
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
More breaking news, there is, in fact, dry water...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...dry-water.html
Wow. What you don't learn on a hockey message board!

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 11:43 AM
  #22
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I'm glad to hear that a cup has alluded us for years. (this means that the Cup has "referred to us indirectly" for years

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:23 PM
  #23
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverCarle View Post
I'm glad to hear that a cup has alluded us for years. (this means that the Cup has "referred to us indirectly" for years
You're always sticking your neck out to be a big dick, you know that?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:44 PM
  #24
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,111
vCash: 500
Wow, how is it this article wasn't checked for spelling/grammatical errors. I give a more thorough run through on my blog which is probably read by 5 people.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:56 PM
  #25
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
You're always sticking your neck out to be a big dick, you know that?
I am only a dick to people acting like vaginas

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.