HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
What are some realistic names @ 57?
A guy I've had my eye on is Victor Berglind out of Brynas in the SEL Juniors. He's a stocky (5'11 @ 185lbs) RHD that has an absolute howitzer from the point. Tremendous top-end speed, but his first steps need work. Given the space, he can thread a tape-to-tape outlet pass to virtually anyone on the ice, or head man a rush with ease.

Of course, he wouldn't be around at #57 without some negatives. For starters, his decision making is questionable to say the least. Not only does he make some poor decisions with the puck, but he doesn't really read the ice quick enough. He needs a few seconds to figure out what he's going to do with the puck, and once he does it, there's really no turning back.

Another weakness is strength. Even against kids in the J20, he's often out muscled in puck battles and around the front of the net.

That being said, I think this kids offensive upside is through the roof and well worth the risk at the end of the 2nd round if he's there.

Old
05-12-2011, 11:25 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

rd1: McNeill
rd2: Nieto, Russo

Two forwards and an offensive defenseman.

Robbie Russo is a better skating version of Adam Clendening.

Old
05-12-2011, 11:43 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Nice piece on Robbie Russo.

http://www.usahockey.com/USANTDP/def...tailedNews=yes

He should be someone on our radar.

Good size, offensive skill, good character.

Scouts like Clendening, Russo is a similar player but a better skater.

Russo has committed to Notre Dame for fall 2011.

Old
05-12-2011, 12:18 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
If a team like Florida or Edmonton is looking for another 1st round pick, would anyone consider trading our 1st this year for their 1st next year (plus a conditional pick if their pick ends up being worse).

We could get lucky, a la Boston with Seguin, or at the very least, we'd have two 1st round picks that we could use to trade up and get a real impact player.
It would be an interesting idea, but is there even a precedent to a deal like this?

Old
05-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

From the world cup ongoing, with Norway just knocked out by Finland..

Did any Norwegian player impress you guys ? We need more Viking Power in NHL...

Btw; Granlund from Finland (Minnesota draftee) could be an awesome nhl player...

Old
05-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post

Btw; Granlund from Finland (Minnesota draftee) could be an awesome nhl player...
Bastianssen was pure gold, i'd like us to sign him just to give him a shot. Low risk/somewhat high reward.

And i was begging us to draft Granlund last year, but we ended up with.. You know.. Damn Minnesota

Old
05-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
I also like Jurco, Morrow and possibly Brodin with our 2nd rounders. Stay away from Ambroz.
Brodin is a solid lookin Swedish Dman, if he escapes round 1 I'll be shocked.

Really like Morrow, Jurco I could give or take. Ambroz scares me, not a huge fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
tough to say.

i know for sure that we had people- like pretty much every organization- at the spits series with owen sound as the better stajcer played, the more attention he was getting. they got a good look at him and a few other guys that are on our list.

were i a betting man- and i am , i would say the odds arent very good for us to call his name at 15. if he some how falls, i could see many teams moving up to grab him. although he does not play like burmistrov at all, teams took notice of what alex did as a rook this year in the atl, so believe me, there will be interest in this kid even if no one will admit it.

with the whole russian thing, no gm wants to be that guy who burns a 1 on this kid, only to come up empty- even though i do not subscribe to that paranoia. he would be the first pick in round 2 though, believe that.

i always put alot of stock in what happens at the combine. ive attended a few before when i was more active with the stars organization. as you know very well, thats where you really see these kids perform up close and those interviews can make or break a draft pick.

brodin will go late 1st. hell be gone by 2nd round but ya never know.

the cat will probably be 2nd rounder but hes a guy i could see a team reaching for in round 1. anytime after pick 20. one thing is for sure, someone will be getting one heck of a player. any one who can skate like that will have a job in the nhl. this kid is my darkhorse to become a bonafide nhl player. i really like his makeup, hands, love his motor and his skating takes your breath away.

as for ritchie, havent seen much of him to be honest. i was told last weekend to watch this kid rise and i expect he will. this kid is a gem. ifirst off, hes a heady player. natural feel for the game. and if you are right and he gets to 6'4- and i believe that looking at his freekin shoulders already, he will be an absolute monster.

some people love biggs, i like this kid better. hes got more goin on between the ears from what i was told.
Good call on Burmistrov, thats a good point. I think teams will start to loosen up a bit about the Russian kids that come over here and prove they want to stay. Still not sure that means the Rangers take Kohk with their first.

Brodin should go first round - Persson, Erixon, Rundblad - all recent first rounders and Brodin may be better than the lot of them.

I"m liking Catenacci, just not for #15 overall, I think there are better players available there. I agree that he has the makeup of a pro Centerman, I just don't know how well he applies that to a team game, looks like Gomez at times, taking the puck end to end and not making anything of it, and that scares me a bit. Second round it'd be tough to pass on him, but like you said, the interviews and combine are pretty important.

Everything I hear year in year out about our drafting, one consistent is the Ranger's place alot of emphasis on the interviews. In fact, they interview a lot of prospects even before the draft during the season, but you'll rarely hear about it.

Ritchie vs Biggs? Yeah I'm you, from what Ive seen, Ritchie is one of those players that always ends up in the right place, whether for rebounds or parking himself in front of the goalie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd certainly consider it depending on the team, but I doubt we'll have any offers on the table like that. Maybe a deal like we had last June of Rundblad for the 16th overall (Tarasenko), but doubt it's pick for pick next year.
That was an interesting trade. Ottawa did it because their top offensive dman prospect Karlsson is good friends with David Rundblad and looked good paired together during previous tourney's.

What kind of deal could we come up with that's similar, who would be our 'Rundblad' in the deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Nice piece on Robbie Russo.

http://www.usahockey.com/USANTDP/def...tailedNews=yes

He should be someone on our radar.

Good size, offensive skill, good character.

Scouts like Clendening, Russo is a similar player but a better skater.

Russo has committed to Notre Dame for fall 2011.
The thing is, I don't think he's similar to Clendening. Clendening has some edge to his game and IMO has the better overall two way game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post

Granlund was my pick in one of the oldest running HF mocks last year. Pulkkinen was my 2nd round pick, Wings ended up drafting him. How is he doing?

Old
05-12-2011, 02:13 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
I remember Ambroz being talked up as a top-10 pick.

Oh, how the mighty fall.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
05-12-2011, 02:29 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
That was an interesting trade. Ottawa did it because their top offensive dman prospect Karlsson is good friends with David Rundblad and looked good paired together during previous tourney's.

What kind of deal could we come up with that's similar, who would be our 'Rundblad' in the deal?
John Carlson (to play with MDZ).

Really wanted him or Ennis in 08...

05-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latexi84 View Post
Bastianssen was pure gold, i'd like us to sign him just to give him a shot. Low risk/somewhat high reward.

And i was begging us to draft Granlund last year, but we ended up with.. You know.. Damn Minnesota
We drafted a beast who will knock forwards who so freely enter our zone currently on their *****, that is who we drafted.

Old
05-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
I remember Ambroz being talked up as a top-10 pick.

Oh, how the mighty fall.
You're a young guy, so I ask you to take note of stuff like that. Draft rankings and how some draft classes are rated before they even take place is not the be all end all. At the end of the day these are still just 17 and 18 yr olds, all progressing at different stages.

There are good players in bad drafts and bad players in good drafts, how some discount a draft like this just makes me wonder.

Old
05-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
Kreider, Thomas, Horak, Zucca, and Fasth aren't grinders, and when it comes to tough grinders in our system in the same mould as a McNeill type prospect, you can maybe put Grachev in that type of category and that's really all.

All I want is someone that KNOWS how to put the puck in the net. Though, I definately agree with you about the puck carrier issues.
I am 100% certain that we could get 6 guys more that "knows how to put the puck in the net", and wouldn't become much better if they were like Skinner/Gabby-type's.

Our problem is not that we can't put the puck in the net. You could have 2x the shot of Brett Hull in his prime, if you attack against a collected collapsed 5 man box these days someone will get a stick on your stick before the shot goes off anyway. We need guys who can make plays with the puck. Someone who is creative with the puck heading up ice.

Old
05-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I am 100% certain that we could get 6 guys more that "knows how to put the puck in the net", and wouldn't become much better if they were like Skinner/Gabby-type's.

Our problem is not that we can't put the puck in the net. You could have 2x the shot of Brett Hull in his prime, if you attack against a collected collapsed 5 man box these days someone will get a stick on your stick before the shot goes off anyway. We need guys who can make plays with the puck. Someone who is creative with the puck heading up ice.
Totally agree Ola.

The proof is watching our players hold onto the puck for an average of 2 seconds before they move it desperately.

Old
05-12-2011, 03:54 PM
NYR Viper

I like the comparison of McNeil with Kesler. I think that fits pretty well.

Old
05-12-2011, 04:03 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

understand your point but saying that skinner wouldn't make us better is untrue. kid is a stud.

with gabby having a terrible year, we lacked a go-to-guy. during the season, on average we were middle of the pack offensively but were really inconsistant, it was either an offensive explosion or draught...but i think the biggest thing is that no matter what the score, in a key situation there was no one on the bench that torts could tap on to get the key goal in a big moment...skinner scored lots of big goals down the stretch for carolina.

and i think we have guys that can 'make plays' its the consistently finishing that is the problem...plenty of nights we control the puck and get lots of chances and end up with nothing to show for it.

Old
05-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

I think some if it had to do with St. Louis' depth in terms of RHD. Johnson, with Pietrangelo in the system, and a pretty significant need for scoring up front. Rundblad for Tarasenko is a good trade.

Perhaps the Rangers find a guy who they were high on in a prior draft but is struggling with his current team and decide to take a flier. Who that player is? Couldn't tell ya.

Old
05-12-2011, 04:15 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
The thing is, I don't think he's similar to Clendening. Clendening has some edge to his game and IMO has the better overall two way game.
Interesting.

The funny thing is they're ranked 49 and 50 in THN.

Clendening at 49 and Russo at 50.

I like both. I liked what i saw from Clendening with BU.

Do you think his skating will be an issue at the pro level?

I admit, Clendening was someone I liked and would want in the second round. I like Russo, too. Though, I know less about him. From the little I've seen.

I would take either one.

So even though I like Khokhlachev more, I think the Rangers will target McNeill instead.

McNeill in the first. Nieto and Clendening in the second?

That's also some good connection, likes Stepan-McDonagh.

A Nieto and Clendening connection (Boston University teammates) would be nice. Familiarity, relationships, and chemistry are good things to consider when building a team.

I'd love those two in the Rangers system growing together.

Old
05-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I think some if it had to do with St. Louis' depth in terms of RHD. Johnson, with Pietrangelo in the system, and a pretty significant need for scoring up front. Rundblad for Tarasenko is a good trade.

Perhaps the Rangers find a guy who they were high on in a prior draft but is struggling with his current team and decide to take a flier. Who that player is? Couldn't tell ya.
Yeah, thats what I'm asking though, who is that player?

But I'm glad you brought it up, even though St Louis has not sparkled, theyve drafted well and have been able to move areas of strength for needs in other places. Something we will do sooner or later. I'd say sooner.

Smonkey, I think Russo is a better skater, but I like what Clendening does when he plays in situations he thrives in - PP QB and in front of his own net, two areas I see him excelling at more and more as I've watched him.

2nd round has a lot of interesting possibilities. Getting both Nieto and Clendening would be cool. I also like some of the Europeans that very few posters are even mentioning right now.

Old
05-12-2011, 04:30 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

But I'm glad you brought it up, even though St Louis has not sparkled, theyve drafted well and have been able to move areas of strength for needs in other places. Something we will do sooner or later. I'd say sooner.

Smonkey, I think Russo is a better skater, but I like what Clendening does when he plays in situations he thrives in - PP QB and in front of his own net, two areas I see him excelling at more and more as I've watched him.

2nd round has a lot of interesting possibilities. Getting both Nieto and Clendening would be cool. I also like some of the Europeans that very few posters are even mentioning right now.
I'm not as familiar with most of the European players, for no other reason then it's not as accessible to watch them play.

Who did you have in mind?

Old
05-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

I see a lot of solid workers being available around #15. Nashville loves those guys, is without a pick this year, and has a ton of depth at defense. Puck movers in particular. Does Ellis, Blum or Franson come into play? Is there a rift between Trotz and Colin Wilson?

I keep thinking back to the episode of Oil Change where they're filming the trade deadline. At the last minute, Tambellini gets a call from Sather who backs out of a deal. I wonder if that could re-kindle if Edmonton wants to add another 1st rounder.

Old
05-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I'm not as familiar with most of the European players, for no other reason then it's not as accessible to watch them play.

Who did you have in mind?
I'll give a detailed list on here soon.

Old
05-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I see a lot of solid workers being available around #15. Nashville loves those guys, is without a pick this year, and has a ton of depth at defense. Puck movers in particular. Does Ellis, Blum or Franson come into play? Is there a rift between Trotz and Colin Wilson?

I keep thinking back to the episode of Oil Change where they're filming the trade deadline. At the last minute, Tambellini gets a call from Sather who backs out of a deal. I wonder if that could re-kindle if Edmonton wants to add another 1st rounder.
I think I'd take Ryan Ellis for that pick, others i'm not interested in. But if Colin Wilson were available, hmmm......

I'm not sure who we'd deal for with Edmonton, I guess Hemsky? It's a move for now, no doubt.

Old
05-12-2011, 05:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
We're gonna need a new thread by the end of the night.

Anyone want to take a stab at something like we had last year, with prospect bios and videos in post one? If not, it's cool.

It's just pain.
Old
05-12-2011, 05:27 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I'll give a detailed list on here soon.
Nice.

Closed Thread