HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ilya Bryzgalov

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2011, 02:41 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

vCash: 500
**** it guys lets just sign every ****ing goalie! This way we know for sure we can't complain about goaltending!

Old
05-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Versteeg for rights would be insanely stupid.
Cosigned. Then again a first and third for Versteeg was insanely stupid.... and that **** happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Bryzgalov has accomplished nothing in the playoffs. He looked awful vs DET and couldnt even make routine saves (don't give me that "he team was outplayed" ********). If we sign him and he falters, I'll bump this thread
There's the cup, and the three consecutive shut outs to start his playoff career.

Old
05-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
so you want to sign him and "hope" he becomes interested and gets motivated?

I'd rather have a goalie who was already interested & motivated

we've been hoping that jeff carter becomes interested & motivated out there every year and it hasnt happened. and guess what...it never will. you can't teach interest and motivation. if a player hasnt shown it on a consistent basis for so many years, he isnt just going to turn the corner

IMO giving Bryz that kind of money for so many years, just gives him more reason to not show interest and motivation
Have the other plans in Philly worked out better? You have a chance to get a guy who would play on a much deeper team in Philly, I can guarantee you that if Philly had Bryzgalov they would have had a much better chance than the team showed against Boston. BTW, the only reason Phoenix even made the playoffs was because Bryzgalov made it happen in the regular season.

Old
05-12-2011, 03:59 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Bryzgalov wouldn't be a "hope" situation.....what we had with the two dopes (Boucher and Leighton) was hope .....

Heck Bob was hope (no pun intended) which worked out well to a certain point until the playoffs.

We all know hope is not a strategy but def Brygalov would be more strategy than hope....not sure how one can say otherwise.

Old
05-12-2011, 04:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
The Coyotes are probably staying in Phoenix for next year, so he's probably staying with them.

Old
05-12-2011, 04:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go david krejci 430 View Post
The Coyotes are probably staying in Phoenix for next year, so he's probably staying with them.
In that case it turns into a hope situation....hopefully not!

But yeah I don't think the Flyers have that much of a chance to be honest.

Old
05-12-2011, 07:56 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
awesome? no. i would never say Bryzgalov is awesome. Is he good? yes, he is. however, I don't see the benefits of giving him over $5m over 5 years to hope he performs well behind our team. Even if he was in net for us this year, this team would not have made it any further in the playoffs because, while goaltending was a problem, it was one of many

Quote:
as Giguere's back-up
He had just as much to do with winning that Stanley Cup as Giguere did. He actually was the starter in the quarterfinals and came in relief against Detroit.

I don't understand why some people can't be honest.

You're just as bad the Timonen supporters who insisted there was nothing wrong with him, or the Carter supporters who turn a blind eye to his miserable failures in the playoffs and rant and rave that he's a 40 goal scorer.

The bottom line is Bryz is the best goalie available, the top free agent available, and for me , after the last two postseasons, it's him or bust.

Last edited by ShotScore*: 05-12-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old
05-12-2011, 08:09 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
He had just as much to do with winning that Stanley Cup as Giguere did. He actually was the starter in the quarterfinals amd came in relief against Detroit.

I don't understand why some people can't be honest.

You're just as bad the Timonen supporters who insisted there was nothing wrong with him, or the Carter supporters who turn a blind eye to his miserable failures in the playoffs and rant and rave that he's a 40 goal scorer.

The bottom line is Bryz is the best goalie available, the top free agent available, and for me , after the last two postseasons, it's him or bust.
The only people who talk about Jeff Carter being a 40-goal scorer are individuals who claim Carter fan boys call Jeff Carter a 40-goal scorer.

Tomas Vokoun is the best goalie available.

05-12-2011, 08:19 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
The only people who talk about Jeff Carter being a 40-goal scorer are individuals who claim Carter fan boys call Jeff Carter a 40-goal scorer.

Tomas Vokoun is the best goalie available.
How do you figure that?

Career GAA:

Bryzgalov

Vokoun

Bryz also is tied for the playoff record for most consecutive shutouts by a rookie as well as being a Stanley Cup winner.

And let's not even bring up the age factor.

Old
05-12-2011, 08:28 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
How do you figure that?

Career GAA:

Bryzgalov

Vokoun

Bryz also is tied for the playoff record for most consecutive shutouts by a rookie as well as being a Stanley Cup winner.

If not age, then the price and length he is perfect for us. Bryz will get 5M minimum and will be a 3 to 5 year deal easily. Vokoun will get anywhere between 3.5M to 4.5M and be only for 2 years, then after his 2 years are up, Bob can take over full time.

Old
05-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Bryz and Bob would be just fine by me, thank you

Old
05-12-2011, 08:48 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
If not age, then the price and length he is perfect for us. Bryz will get 5M minimum and will be a 3 to 5 year deal easily. Vokoun will get anywhere between 3.5M to 4.5M and be only for 2 years, then after his 2 years are up, Bob can take over full time.

One of the problems with Vokoun as I see it, is that he's at an age where you're not exactly sure what you're going to get. He's on the downside of his career at this point.

Look at Timonen for example. He's been largely excellent for us, until this year. Did his age have something to do with that? I have to think so.

Did age have something to do with Pronger's injuries? Hate to admit it, but I have to think so.

Did age have something to do with O'Donnell's drop in play from the beginning of the season to the end of it? Have to think so.

I don't want any more players on the downside of their careers.

Enough.

As for Bob, well there really is no downside to signing Bryz there either.

Bob is only 22. So let's say we get Bryz and give him a 5 year deal. By the time Bryz leaves us, he's 35 and Bob will be ready to take over as a seasoned vet of only 27.

Bryz is the best option for us period.

Old
05-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Viller

I dont get the Kimmo hate, the guy had a good season till the whole team **** the bed...

edit: I guess you have to hold SOMEONE accountable but still, Kimmo was fas from being the biggest problem...

Old
05-12-2011, 09:02 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
One of the problems with Vokoun as I see it, is that he's at an age where you're not exactly sure what you're going to get. He's on the downside of his career at this point.

Look at Timonen for example. He's been largely excellent for us, until this year. Did his age have something to do with that? I have to think so.

Did age have something to do with Pronger's injuries? Hate to admit it, but I have to think so.

Did age have something to do with O'Donnell's drop in play from the beginning of the season to the end of it? Have to think so.

Enough.

Bob is only 22. So let's say we get Bryz and give him a 5 year deal. By the time Bryz leaves us, he's 35 and Bob will be ready to take over as a seasoned vet of only 27.

How do we know that Vokoun is on the downside of his career? Has this year for Roloson been a downside year because of his age? Lidstrom may of had his worse +/- this year, but that doesn't mean he wasn't great. You also have to take into effect that both Pronger and Timonen are huge workhorses for the team and will be probably as their contracts come to an end. Also, when making a future goaltending for a franchise, such as with Bob, you don't wait till they are 27 to use them. Also, I'm sure by that time, we are going to have a bunch of ****ers complaining if he can even do full time considering he's never played an entire season since his rookie year. If anything, I think waiting a long time to even give him a chance to become a full time starter would really hurt his chances to do much in the future. Vokoun may only have 2 winning seasons in the past 4 years with Florida, but his SV% is easily over .920 and I think his GAA would be fine for a team like ours. Actually, his GAA should be better being behind our defense. Vokoun is a #1 goalie and has less options to choose from than Bryz (Bryz can ask for so much from anyone) and Vokoun is a goalie that would rather win now. Also, the thing about Bryz being a rookie when winning a cup was when he was a rookie. Age is part of life, if you get hurt, deal with it and get stronger. Also, using the age thing really against a player doesn't always work. Look how ****ing old Detroit is and they have some ****ing amazing players that are into their 30s/40s. Do you think they worry about age too much? No. Also, when the **** does 27 with only one full season = seasoned vet?

And just as reference, even though his win-loss record isn't that great over the past 4 seasons with Florida, those years were some of the best ones he's had in his career, even somewhat better than some of his years when he was younger. Age is an enigma, it can pop up and either make you stronger, or wear you out. I trust in Vokoun to keep up great numbers for 2 years being here.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:35 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Quote:
How do we know that Vokoun is on the downside of his career?

Because he's 35 and at that age professional athletes don't get better as they go on they get worse....unless of course, they're on PEDs.

Quote:
Has this year for Roloson been a downside year because of his age?

Do you expect him to be as good or better as he gets older?

Quote:
Lidstrom may of had his worse +/- this year, but that doesn't mean he wasn't great.

I'm sorry, is Lidstrom seeking a two year contract for between 3.5-4.5 for two years like Vokoun is? If he is, what are the chances he gets it?

Quote:
You also have to take into effect that both Pronger and Timonen are huge workhorses for the team and will be probably as their contracts come to an end.

I see, so "huge workhorses" that log major minutes are supposed to get better or maintain their level of excellence the older they get?

Quote:
Also, when making a future goaltending for a franchise, such as with Bob, you don't wait till they are 27 to use them.

27 is a prime age for a goaltender. If we say that we don't want to keep anyone over 35, that's still 8 years of starting goaltending while the guy is in his prime.

Quote:
Also, I'm sure by that time, we are going to have a bunch of ****ers complaining if he can even do full time considering he's never played an entire season since his rookie year.

This is relevant how?

Quote:
If anything, I think waiting a long time to even give him a chance to become a full time starter would really hurt his chances to do much in the future.

As opposed toputting all the pressures of the Philadelphia Flyers on the shoulders of a 23 or 24 year old like he would be if we signed Vokoun?

Quote:
Vokoun may only have 2 winning seasons in the past 4 years with Florida, but his SV% is easily over .920 and I think his GAA would be fine for a team like ours. Actually, his GAA should be better being behind our defense.

The same is true for Bryzgalov. Bryz wasn't behind the best of defenses in Phoenix and yet has a better career GAA than Vokoun.

Quote:
Vokoun is a #1 goalie and has less options to choose from than Bryz (Bryz can ask for so much from anyone) and Vokoun is a goalie that would rather win now.

Bryz is also a #1 goalie, except he's in his prime, unlike Vokoun.

Quote:
Also, the thing about Bryz being a rookie when winning a cup was when he was a rookie. Age is part of life, if you get hurt, deal with it and get stronger.

wtf does this mean?

Quote:
Also, using the age thing really against a player doesn't always work. Look how ****ing old Detroit is and they have some ****ing amazing players that are into their 30s/40s. Do you think they worry about age too much? No.

Sorry, but how old is their goalie again?

Quote:
Also, when the **** does 27 with only one full season = seasoned vet?

Ummm....let's see....1 year of being the starter plus 5 years of playing as a backup before becoming the full time starter again in your 6th season.....yeah that's a seasoned vet.

Quote:
And just as reference, even though his win-loss record isn't that great over the past 4 seasons with Florida, those years were some of the best ones he's had in his career, even somewhat better than some of his years when he was younger. Age is an enigma, it can pop up and either make you stronger, or wear you out. I trust in Vokoun to keep up great numbers for 2 years being here.

That and a dollar can't get you a cup of coffee, but thanks for the conversation.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
That and a dollar can't get you a cup of coffee, but thanks for the conversation.
Whatever helps you sleep at night. And coffee sucks.

Old
05-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:

Enough.

totally agree !

Old
05-12-2011, 10:26 PM
BernieParent

Maybe Ondrej Pavelec doesn't want to go to Winnipeg.

Old
05-12-2011, 11:38 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:

as Giguere's back-up
Yet he still stood on his head during the several games he played in.

Old
05-12-2011, 11:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Coyotes fan here, coming in peace.

Yes the Coyotes look to potentially be staying at least one more year. That said, without a solid, long-term owner in place before July 1st, Bryzgalov will walk. The NHL isn't going to give Maloney the green light to give Bryzgalov the five or six year, five or six million per year contract he deserves. He deserves every penny, by the way. He's one the of the league's elite goalies.

I hate to say it, but if I had to guess, I'd say he walks. This ownership mess is not going to clear itself up in the next six weeks. He wants term and money. We don't have it. So long, Bryz, you were our MVP.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:22 AM
KillerKampfer*

Holmgren needs to get 2 guys who won't be cheap in. See ya Carter. Id take Jeff but my guess is you demand Tuukka back so Ill move on.

Flyers need 2 new NHL veteran goalies to still be contenders next season. If they do one will be hot in the playoffs. The cap is going up Philly spends to it you can move a big Salary to get respectable netminding. If you don't expect the same thing, the Flyers have never had elite goaltending and probably won't next year, if you don't want your goalies to be the lauging stock of the NHL 6/7 mil must be allocated to the position IMO.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:48 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
How do you figure that?

Career GAA:

Bryzgalov

Vokoun

A 0.03 difference is what you use to prove that Bryz is a better goaltender? The teams they've played on probably has nothing to do with those career numbers, either...

But, wait! Vokoun career save percentage, 0.917; Bryzgalov career save percentage, 0.916. Clearly Vokoun has the edge!

Brian Boucher also has the record for most consecutive regular season shutouts. Might as well bring that guy back as the starter next year. When Bryz hoisted that Cup, that was the most effort he exerted that day; he played well when called upon that playoff season, but I think you can remember that Michael Leighton had a pretty good string of games in last year's playoffs.

If I want to win the Cup next season, given the choices available, I'm taking Vokoun every time. He may be looking for a contract that's either too long or too expensive to make it work with the Flyers, but that doesn't change the fact that he's the best free agent goaltender available in the summer of 2011.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:54 AM
phlocky

Quote:
How do you figure that?

Career GAA:

Bryzgalov

Vokoun

Are freaking kidding me???? You are seriously calling him a "Stanly cup winner???" HE WAS TYHE ****ING BACKUP... For ****s sake, I could have been the backup and then by your definition I would be a Stanly Cup Winner. HE wasn't responsible for his team winning the cup. he sat on his ****ing ass and WATCHED the rest of the guy win the cup.

Trust me, I want Bryz as much as anyone but lets keep it real. He is NOT a cup winnning goalie, he's a cup winning BENCH WARMER. Making it seem like he is the reason the Ducks won the cup is like calliong Carcillo the reason the Flyers made it all the way to the cup finals last season.

Old
05-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Gibbs18

Quote:
Bryzgalov has accomplished nothing in the playoffs. He looked awful vs DET and couldnt even make routine saves (don't give me that "he team was outplayed" ********). If we sign him and he falters, I'll bump this thread
But the thing is, the Coyotes D is complete trash except Yandle.

Old
05-13-2011, 09:50 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs18 View Post
But the thing is, the Coyotes D is complete trash except Yandle.
I'd give him a little more credit due to hat fact, however, he couldnt even make routine saves in that series

Closed Thread