HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 3) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2011, 05:37 PM
BrianBoyle
↓ Perfection ↓

vCash: 300
2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 3) ‎

Other thread is close to the limit.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
05-12-2011, 08:11 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
Here are a few euro kids who are all interesting forward prospects. Each of these guys has nice upside and all will go round 2 or lower.

I got a nice mix of countries here

Alexander ruutu. Finnish kid son of x Sabre Christian ruutu. Had a nice season plaing major junior in Finland. Right shot Centerman has nice package of skating, smarts and scoring.

William karlsson. This swede left shooting pivot. had a nice year going 54 points in 38 games with vasteras in Swedish juniors. Lots of scoring potential And he's risen fast the last 3 months.

Gregory hofmann. Little known Swiss centerman isn't big but he's ultra talented and Shows a nice Understanding what to with the pill on his blade. Skills galore here and on a lot of radars. End of 2nd not out of the question for this fast riser.

And lastly, I gotta give major props to niki kucherov. This little Russian dynamo absolutely went off At the u18's. 11 goals and 21 points in 8 games is just stupid good on the world stage against the best of the best. This moody and precocious winger is stealthy and deadly. When he skates with the puck it's scary how fast he moves around defenders. His one timer from the off wing is money and he's all about the finish. He snipes it quickly and does it with flair. His size 5'10 165 is an issue as is his reputation for some immaturity but his performance in the u18 tourney Was simply ovechkin like.

I love my Russians and this kid is 100% boom/bust. If he booms, you've got yourself a kid who can sell a ton of jerseys and be a regular on the goal of the week highlights.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 05-13-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old
05-12-2011, 09:46 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
Here are a few euro kids who are all interesting forward prospects. Each of these guys has nice upside and all will go round 2 or lower.

Alexander ruutu. Finnish kid son of x Sabre Christian ruutu. Had a nice season plaing major junior in Finland. Right shot Centerman has nice package of skating, smarts and scoring.

William karlsson. This swede left shooting pivot. had a nice year going 54 points in 38 games with vasteras in Swedish juniors. Lots of scoring potential And he's risen fast the last 3 months.

Gregory hofman. Little known Swiss centerman isn't big but he's ultra talented and Shows a nice Understanding
what to with the pill on his blade. Skills galore here and on a lot of radars. End of 2nd not out of the question
for this fast riser.

And lastly, I gotta give major props to niki kucherov. This little Russian dynamo absolutely went off At the u18's. 11 goals and 21 points in 8 games is just stupid good on the world stage against the best of the best. This moody and precocious winger is stealthy and deadly. When he skates with the puck it's scary how fast he moves around
defenders. His one timer from the off wing is money and he's all about the finish. He snipes it quickly and does it with flair. His size 5'10 165 is an issue as is his reputation for some immaturity but his performance in the u18 tourney Was simply ovechkin like.

I love my Russians and this kid is 100% boom/bust. If he booms, you've got yourself a kid who can sell a ton of jerseys and be a regular on the goal of the week highlights.
What do you think of the Swede Joachim Nermark? He was the 2010 Ivan Hlinka scoring leader. Mind as well get another Swede with Fasth, Hagelin, and Lindberg already in the system.

Oh, and Kucherov sounds awesome, what round is he projected to go?

Old
05-13-2011, 01:43 AM
hockeyman001

Add Slovakia's Tomas Jurco to the list, I think. After a little bit of reading up on him and checking out some of the highlights, he looks like a good top line prospect. Great puck control, good stickhandling, great hands, and a pretty nice shot (excellent wrister/backhand combo), plus he's pretty deceptive. Has some size (6'2" 190) to boot that he can grow into more. Just needs to work on his straightaway speed, strength, and agility some more...all are elite for CHL juniors but will need work to be very good at the NHL level.

Considering the Rangers pick 15th, he's a possibility perhaps.

I'm no scout nor do I work for Hockey's Future, but based on some of the footage I've now seen of him and what I've read, I'd score him an 8.0C on the HF scale.

Youtube vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biPsk6n2q5g

Last edited by Trxjw: 05-13-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Fixed embed.
Old
05-13-2011, 01:07 PM
ecemleafs

have we ever used a 1st rounder on someone out of the Q?

Old
05-13-2011, 01:11 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
Not recently.

Christian Dube was our first pick in the 1995 draft (we had no first rounder), but in the second round -- 39th overall).

Other than him, we drafted Lucien DeBlois in the 1st round (8th overall) in the 1977 Amateur Draft.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00007089.html

Old
05-13-2011, 01:12 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Are you hinting that Zack Philips piques your interest? As for your question, I cannot recall the last time the Rangers used their 1st rounder on a player from the Q.

Old
05-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

Gregory hofmann. Little known Swiss centerman isn't big but he's ultra talented and Shows a nice Understanding what to with the pill on his blade. Skills galore here and on a lot of radars. End of 2nd not out of the question for this fast riser.

And lastly, I gotta give major props to niki kucherov. This little Russian dynamo absolutely went off At the u18's. 11 goals and 21 points in 8 games is just stupid good on the world stage against the best of the best. This moody and precocious winger is stealthy and deadly. When he skates with the puck it's scary how fast he moves around defenders. His one timer from the off wing is money and he's all about the finish. He snipes it quickly and does it with flair. His size 5'10 165 is an issue as is his reputation for some immaturity but his performance in the u18 tourney Was simply ovechkin like.

So you just happend to like 3 of the 4 highest riser on the CSB final Euro list?

Well, good call either way, I like Ruutuu and Karlsson, and you can't just ignore what Kucherov did at the WJ's. And some people think this draft is just meh? I think there are so many wildcards it could end up being a very solid draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
What do you think of the Swede Joachim Nermark? He was the 2010 Ivan Hlinka scoring leader. Mind as well get another Swede with Fasth, Hagelin, and Lindberg already in the system.

Oh, and Kucherov sounds awesome, what round is he projected to go?
Well, theres my guy for 2nd round pick number 1. I really think Nermark has first round talent. Natural centerman, great vision, excellent hands, solid frame. This is the one player I'm really hoping we get.

Kucherov has top round talent, I'd guess he goes somewhere in the 2nd.

Old
05-13-2011, 02:35 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Please no Zack Phillips.

05-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Please no Zack Phillips.
Trying to not like him, but those hands, he's a GREAT passer.

Old
05-13-2011, 03:09 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Are you hinting that Zack Philips piques your interest? As for your question, I cannot recall the last time the Rangers used their 1st rounder on a player from the Q.
na. just wondering. one of gare joyce's mocks had us taking danault i believe and some mocks on the mock draft board have us taking players out of the Q and it made me think that i dont remmeber us ever using a 1st on a player from the Q.

Old
05-13-2011, 03:22 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
So you just happend to like 3 of the 4 highest riser on the CSB final Euro list?

Well, good call either way, I like Ruutuu and Karlsson, and you can't just ignore what Kucherov did at the WJ's. And some people think this draft is just meh? I think there are so many wildcards it could end up being a very solid draft.

Well, theres my guy for 2nd round pick number 1. I really think Nermark has first round talent. Natural centerman, great vision, excellent hands, solid frame. This is the one player I'm really hoping we get.

Kucherov has top round talent, I'd guess he goes somewhere in the 2nd.
its called momentum bn. i like momentum heading towards draft day

i actually really like hofmann. every single time i watched him, he stood out as a half step quicker and a full step smarter than most of his peers. if he can add some weight, hes gonna be a sick player. pretty much outplayed that other swiss dude at the worlds....whats his name.... um..... nino somethin or other.

kucherov is everything you hate in a russian player and everything you love all wrapped into one. hes got enigma written all over him while at the same time he is a game breaker and oozes ''out of your seat'' talent. hell get drafted in the top 70.

as for nermark, i mentioned him before. love the kids makeup and skills. hes had a few hicups recently and has fallen some but that doesnt scare me at all. i look at that as a buying opportunity. theres just no denying his talent. as much as i like russians, i like swedes darn near as much. this year looks to be a banner year for the tre kronors.

i too would have a hard time passing on a kid like this with one of our 2nds.

one last thought on your draft comment. i think this draft lacks the sizzle of many recent years, especially lacking this year are the media darling the canadian kids who have that star power. there really not there. there just inst the buzz this year and no real canadian hot shot kid. in fact, many of the best prospects are euros. im wondering if that is part of the ''down year'' wrap this draft has had for 2 years now.

at the same time, there are alot of euro kids both here and over seas and alot of north american kids with a few warts that look like solid pro prospects. while this draft may lack high end quantity, it may have more than enough hidden gems. they just need to be identified, dug up, cleaned up, polished and presented.

let the fun begin.

Old
05-13-2011, 04:04 PM
bogans

Quote:
na. just wondering. one of gare joyce's mocks had us taking danault i believe and some mocks on the mock draft board have us taking players out of the Q and it made me think that i dont remmeber us ever using a 1st on a player from the Q.
I bleieve Marc Andre Cliche was a second rounder in 2005 or 06 out of Lewiston. And Bourque is a third or fourth rounder? Not many Q picks, but then again, a lot of the Q offensive prospects end of getting picked up later than they should, because the league is sooo offensive that it is difficult to tell whether they have game breaking talent or not. I'd love to see some late rounders from the Q this year.

Old
05-13-2011, 04:36 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Trying to not like him, but those hands, he's a GREAT passer.
I agree on his passing ability. I just think he skating is very far off and his finishing ability (shot strength and accuracy, specifically) will not be enough to get it done at the pro-level.

Add in that he's consistently playing with Huberdeau/Bealieu (who I am very high on) and I just don't think he should be our choice.

Just my 2 cents.

Old
05-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I agree on his passing ability. I just think he skating is very far off and his finishing ability (shot strength and accuracy, specifically) will not be enough to get it done at the pro-level.

Add in that he's consistently playing with Huberdeau/Bealieu (who I am very high on) and I just don't think he should be our choice.

Just my 2 cents.
Yeah I watched him skate a lot and it isnt pretty but just one of those guys who gets it done. Maybe its cause of the talent he's paired with, but watch him battle in the corners and come off the boards, in close the skating is fine, its the rest of the ice that worries me

Meh, kinda moot, hopefully better players available where we pick, though I said that last year

Old
05-13-2011, 06:21 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Not recently.

Christian Dube was our first pick in the 1995 draft (we had no first rounder), but in the second round -- 39th overall).

Other than him, we drafted Lucien DeBlois in the 1st round (8th overall) in the 1977 Amateur Draft.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00007089.html
Ahead of Bossy Twice!

Old
05-13-2011, 06:26 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post

Ahead of Bossy Twice!
But if we had drafted Bossy at #13 instead of Ron Duguay, who would represent us on Hockey Night Live!? Clearly Duguay was the better long term option!

Old
05-15-2011, 02:35 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

The May ISS rankings are out. Zibanejad is up to #6, while Strome drops to #9. Scheifele climbs twelve spots to #17, while McNeil is at #20.

Old
05-15-2011, 05:13 PM
rangers1024

Quote:
The May ISS rankings are out. Zibanejad is up to #6, while Strome drops to #9. Scheifele climbs twelve spots to #17, while McNeil is at #20.
What did Strome do to warrant dropping to 9? Oh well, hopefully he's within trading range then...

Old
05-15-2011, 05:28 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Just randomly came across this mock draft today when googling "2011 Mock NHL Entry Drafts". It's mocks the entire seven rounds. Don't know how good it coule be when it has Bartschi and Scheifele going in the early second round. It has a write up on each player as well. Here is the link:

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2011

Has the Rangers selecting:

1.) J.T. Miller (RW)

Quote:
A center-wing who plays a nice puck possession game with grit and bodywork. Some say he may not apply himself consistently to this style and his draft stock will drop if he doesn't become committed 60 minutes. Yet I don't think it is a question of intent as much as he has emptied the tank with his earlier efforts. Punishes on the attack and skates with good balance and jump. He is a good shooter and decent passer and good in his own zone. He is very creative on his carries, and is solid in all zones. Once in transit he can move with the best of them. Although he lacks a first step and doesn't consistently play strong on the puck when in the attack, he will be given time to add to his offensive game, since the payout may be a big reward to the team that selects him. Exceeds tags labeling him a checking line role player
The bolded worries me the most. Why take this kid when Puempel and McNeill are still on the board?

2a.) Victor Rask (C)

Quote:
Big three zone centermen who will go in to do the dirty work to unearth pucks in the battle zones, and be able to hold the puck and wait for openings. Moves really well and is a excellent puck-handler, and offense generator. When he becomes a player who consistently plays well at top speed, he could become a really good major leaguer
Wouldn't mind Rask in the second round. Either big boom or big bust, more then likely.

2b.) Matthew Nieto (LW)

Quote:
Rocket skater who can beat defenders from the outside. Quality penalty killer and uses his speed to cover in his own end. Shows offensive smarts and good hands but needs more functional strength.
Would love to get this kid in the late second round.

4.) Logan Shaw (RW)

Quote:
Tall wing who after three seasons showed some offensive skill on a weaker squad. He skates well and has shown he can score and create
I know nothing of this player except that he is pretty big at 6'3 190lbs.

5.) Jordan Binnington (G)

Quote:
It took a hip injury to first-string goalie, Scott Stajer, in order for Binnington to show the scouts he could be the real deal.
Was Stajcer's back-up in Owen Sound. Played well when he was injured.

Didn't realize the Rangers do not have a 3rd, 6th, and 7th round pick.

Don't know how realistic this mock is, or when it was first done. The draft picks are all correct, but there is no chance Bartschi and Scheifele go in the second round.

Old
05-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
This draft is retarded and ridiculous. This much movement a month before the draft? Jesus. We're going to be lucky to come out with one decent player in this entire draft. Move the two seconds and our first to move up.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
05-15-2011, 07:52 PM
rangers1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
This draft is retarded and ridiculous. This much movement a month before the draft? Jesus. We're going to be lucky to come out with one decent player in this entire draft. Move the two seconds and our first to move up.
There is still the same amount of quality players available at our pick, but I do agree that we should move up.

Old
05-15-2011, 09:38 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
depends on how you look at it...sometimes when the rankings fluctuate like this or people vary in opinion it increases the chances that you could get someone at 15 or 20 that in hindsight should have been a top 5 pick. if everyone agrees on the order than much less chance someone drops down

Old
05-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
depends on how you look at it...sometimes when the rankings fluctuate like this or people vary in opinion it increases the chances that you could get someone at 15 or 20 that in hindsight should have been a top 5 pick. if everyone agrees on the order than much less chance someone drops down
Rankings just don't fluctuate like this unless people just don't know how to rate the players. It's just another sign of this being a ****** draft.

Old
05-15-2011, 10:55 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Rankings just don't fluctuate like this unless people just don't know how to rate the players. It's just another sign of this being a ****** draft.
true but crappy draft doesn't mean 'no good players'. if we get a good player at 15 i'm perfectly fine with everyone else in the first round sucking, the reverse of 2003 LOL

Closed Thread