HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Technical Questions

Old
05-10-2011, 04:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
So I got the recommended Videotron modem and all that, but it's funny, when I do a speed test on their website, I hit 20-30 mbps. Which is what I should get, but ANYWHERE else I hit less than 5 mbps. Is it just me or is that pretty much crap? The highest download speed I hit would suggest I have a 1.6 mbps internet(200KB/s). Which is essentially crap in relation to what i should get, 30mbps.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:51 PM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

vCash: 500
you're getting crap results on speedtest.net?

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:54 PM
pine

an A1 sighting

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 09:00 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
you're getting crap results on speedtest.net?
Yeah, and everywhere else. I've done direct downloads and went 150-200KB per sec. Crap. At max(30mbps) i'm supposed to go a nice 3.75MB per sec. Crap.

Not even close.

Old
05-10-2011, 09:09 PM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post

an A1 sighting

I came back to EASHL and almost immedietely afterwards you donkeys started that league BS. For your treachery I had PSN taken down.

LL are you testing with a wired connection or wireless?

This is wireless for me

And this is wired for me

Old
05-10-2011, 09:36 PM
LyricalLyricist

I'm wired, that's the sad part.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:43 PM
vesperal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Yeah, and everywhere else. I've done direct downloads and went 150-200KB per sec. Crap. At max(30mbps) i'm supposed to go a nice 3.75MB per sec. Crap.

Not even close.
Those are pretty much in the normal high speed range. I would call them, I'd venture they didn't put you on the 30mb service.

vesperal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 12:16 PM
LyricalLyricist

I reset modem for no reason and got this:

Should I expect 30 here? I'm ONLY one online on my router. Or is it like, 20 mbps is expected? because, like I said, I'm only one online...so when others come on I expect that to drop.

Old
05-11-2011, 10:07 PM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

when I had 30mpbs I would get 28 on speedtest.

Old
05-11-2011, 10:12 PM
pine

TGV15 with Videotron. On the money I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post

And this is wired for me
What do you use your extremely high speed for?

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 10:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

Does lenght of a wire play a role? My dad's computer is the router/modem connection and he hits 31mpbs. My sister on wireless hits 23. I, on wire, hit 19. Annoying.

Old
05-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore

Just because I felt like posting. I'm supposed to have a 30mb connection, so... s'all good!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 11:05 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post

Just because I felt like posting. I'm supposed to have a 30mb connection, so... s'all good!
Or you behind a router and are you the first link to the router?

Edit: BTW, how is it possible when I download something my internet makes me download it at 75 KB/sec yet my speedtest says 20mbps. It's pissing me off. With bell and 3mbps I downloaded at like 250 KB/sec. Am I missing something? Do they limit direct download speeds or some ****?

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 05-11-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old
05-11-2011, 11:28 PM
vesperal

Quote:
Does lenght of a wire play a role? My dad's computer is the router/modem connection and he hits 31mpbs. My sister on wireless hits 23. I, on wire, hit 19. Annoying.
Wait what ? What's your setup like? I had assumed you were connected directly into the modem for the test.

Another computer shouldn't be involved into the connection. It's Cable Modem -> Router -> Branch out to the others computer.

Old
05-11-2011, 11:39 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperal View Post
Wait what ? What's your setup like? I had assumed you were connected directly into the modem for the test.

Another computer shouldn't be involved into the connection. It's Cable Modem -> Router -> Branch out to the others computer.
Well, depends, one computer is the one you install the router on. The others are 2-4 on the router. As for the cables themselves, yes, that's the way it is. Modem to Router connection and the computers are all connected on the router, unless we're talking about wireless. Really, I'm the geek of the house because no one is capable with this stuff but really, this baffles my mind. I have a 20mbps connection, and I assume it's not at 30 because my wire is VERY long. My assumption is that plays a role, and fine, so be it. Yet, when I download something off a legit website to test my speeds, such as microsoft, I hit 200KB/sec. When I download off rapidshare or hosting sites I hit 75KB/sec. With a 2.5-3 Mbps connection on Bell I hit 250-300KB/sec on hosting sites. In reality, 1 byte=8 bits. So you divide the bites by 8 to get the bytes. By that logic, a 20 mbps should be 2.5MB/sec direct download and a 30mbps should be 3.75 MB/sec. Yet, I don't hit a tenth of that. Something is very wrong with that.

Old
05-12-2011, 12:02 AM
vesperal

A router doesn't install on a computer.

I'm guessing your Dad's computer is in the port identify as #1. It's no different than being connected into port 2 to 4. As long as the modem is connected into the WAN port, you have no problem.

You get the speed on one computer so the problem isn't with the modem or the videotron connection but the router. You will have to go in the router and check your setting. I'm guessing you are not familiar with it so try those easier options first :

1. Start by turning everything off for 5 min., then plug the cable modem, wait 2 minutes, then plug the router, wait 2 minutes then start the computers.

2. reset your router to factory default. Check your router guide but it's usually a small hole that you insert a small pen tip and press for 10 seconds.

3. If it doesn't work, I recommend checking if the router has a new firmware version and flashing it.

Old
05-12-2011, 12:45 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperal View Post
A router doesn't install on a computer.

I'm guessing your Dad's computer is in the port identify as #1. It's no different than being connected into port 2 to 4. As long as the modem is connected into the WAN port, you have no problem.

You get the speed on one computer so the problem isn't with the modem or the videotron connection but the router. You will have to go in the router and check your setting. I'm guessing you are not familiar with it so try those easier options first :

1. Start by turning everything off for 5 min., then plug the cable modem, wait 2 minutes, then plug the router, wait 2 minutes then start the computers.

2. reset your router to factory default. Check your router guide but it's usually a small hole that you insert a small pen tip and press for 10 seconds.

3. If it doesn't work, I recommend checking if the router has a new firmware version and flashing it.
I'm aware of how a router works. There was an installation CD to configure the router and assign passwords to the network. Hence, I loosely suggested he was the #1 computer. It's by default I say this, because his computer stands a mere feet away from the router and modem. It's just an association I use at gome to suggest I configured so and so from his computer(on first configuration). I know, being #1 or #4 has zero relevance, it's just a matter of being connected. We usually sort by distance. My father being right near it, usually gets #1. I get #3. It's how we remember which wire belongs to who. Seems pointless, but there's reasons why we do it.

I've done all this. Before I reset, I was listed as 8mbps, when I reset, I hit 20mbps. In both instances, my computer is in absolute fail mode to achieve a reasonable speed. It's not my first time with a router. The only thing left is to look for a firmware update.

In any case, I get the 'speed' with a computer, but I haven't tested out his actual direct download speeds. In essence, doing a speed test is a direct download, yet, on actual websites, or file hosting services, my speed has dropped significantly relative to what my speedtest suggested.

A technician will come in next few days, and tbh, I'm at school all day tomorrow so I won't have time to deal with it, nor will it affect me directly for the time being.

I'll let you know what happens.

Old
05-12-2011, 06:04 AM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post

TGV15 with Videotron. On the money I guess.

What do you use your extremely high speed for?

To be Whiiiiiiiiiiite Lightning!!

Old
05-12-2011, 11:30 AM
nnynetpotato

Quote:
I'm aware of how a router works. There was an installation CD to configure the router and assign passwords to the network. Hence, I loosely suggested he was the #1 computer. It's by default I say this, because his computer stands a mere feet away from the router and modem. It's just an association I use at gome to suggest I configured so and so from his computer(on first configuration). I know, being #1 or #4 has zero relevance, it's just a matter of being connected. We usually sort by distance. My father being right near it, usually gets #1. I get #3. It's how we remember which wire belongs to who. Seems pointless, but there's reasons why we do it.

I've done all this. Before I reset, I was listed as 8mbps, when I reset, I hit 20mbps. In both instances, my computer is in absolute fail mode to achieve a reasonable speed. It's not my first time with a router. The only thing left is to look for a firmware update.

In any case, I get the 'speed' with a computer, but I haven't tested out his actual direct download speeds. In essence, doing a speed test is a direct download, yet, on actual websites, or file hosting services, my speed has dropped significantly relative to what my speedtest suggested.

A technician will come in next few days, and tbh, I'm at school all day tomorrow so I won't have time to deal with it, nor will it affect me directly for the time being.

Maybe it's a bad router?

EDIT:Just checked your earlier post on this ,sorry.

My sister actually had to call the router manufacturer and have them remotely reset her router settings.

Last edited by nnynetpotato: 05-12-2011 at 11:40 AM.
nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Dekar

Me want join! Videotron high-speed internet, 8Mbps downstream, 1Mbps upstream, bang on the money.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 09:00 PM
vesperal

Quote:

Well I would bet good money that CD was the problem. It probably activated a bunch of thing, closed some ports,... The problem look like some strange QoS.

Try my second recommendation, a cold reset put the router just like when you opened it. (a firmware upgrade will reset the options to basic also)

After that, enter the router IP address into a web browser and navigate the menu to choose your broadcast name, encryption and password. Router menu are surprisingly easy to navigate nowadays.

Old
05-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Avim86

TGV 120 with Videotron.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 10:48 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

lol @ screenshot

how much does that cost you?

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
lol @ screenshot

how much does that cost you?

140$ + 50% discount for small company tax break = 70$ a month , not too shabby.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:06 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46Awesome View Post
140$ + 50% discount for small company tax break = 70$ a month , not too shabby.
Small company tax break?