HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

2011 NHL Draft

Old
04-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
While I'd love to see us move up and take one of the two Rangers, I think that as long as at least one of Siemens, Beaulieu, Armia, or Zibanejad is available we'll get a good pick out of #12...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

vCash: 500
Who I'm hoping to get with the pick: Siemens, Beaulieu, Zibanejad.

Who I think it will be: Sven Bartschi (Only if Mika is off the board, which I think he will be)

All I know for certain is that after last year, nobody has a right to complain on draft day

Aquin001 on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:02 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquin001 on Ice View Post
after last year, nobody has a right to complain on draft day
"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do." Joe Walsh

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:09 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehAAB View Post
"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do." Joe Walsh
Sounds about right for me.

Seriously though, any realistic pick other then Biggs I'm willing to give a chance to this year. I want nothing to do with Biggs unless he's there in the 2nd round.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:12 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Sounds about right for me.

Seriously though, any realistic pick other then Biggs I'm willing to give a chance to this year. I want nothing to do with Biggs unless he's there in the 2nd round.
I trust you when it comes to this stuff. I really do. And if you say you don't want anything to do with Biggs, then I stand beside you.

But I'm half-hoping the Canes take the guy just to see you blow up all over the boards.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Well, JR did say he wanted the team to get "Bigg"-er.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Can mods get infracted?

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:33 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
Can mods get infracted?
Yep.

Old
05-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

side note, where is zibanijad (sp) from? sounds like somewhere we would find a terrorist.

Anton H Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:49 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton H Christ View Post
side note, where is zibanijad (sp) from? sounds like somewhere we would find a terrorist.
He's from Sweden, but has an Iranian father and Finnish mother.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

that's kind of a letdown. I would have loved to have supported the first pakistani nhl player.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:08 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Osama bin Anton

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:07 AM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Callahan View Post
Osama bin Anton
don't you EVER use the lords name in vain!!!!

Old
05-09-2011, 05:46 AM
TheNextOneX

Gregory Hoffman and Inti Pestoni are as good as any first rounder.

If you guys wants a steal, draft those two...

TheNextOneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

I can see Ron Francis announcing the pick now:

"With the 12th pick in the 2011 NHL draft, the Carolina Hurricanes are extremely proud to select Mika Zibajebi-...
Mika Zijinejb-...
Mika Zebiajebib...

******* it, we're taking Biggs"

Aquin001 on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Isn't Biggs this years Brandon Sutter (safe, little upside)?

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Stahl2Stall
LOTTERY RALLY TEXT

I really like Brett Ritchie as a 2nd round pick, would love to see us draft him.

Stahl2Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:50 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton 2nd Pick View Post
Isn't Biggs this years Brandon Sutter (safe, little upside)?
More like this years Colton Gillies IMO. Sutter at least showed some offensive upside in his draft year and played a very clean game for a power forward. Not saying it doesn't exist for Biggs, but I think best case Biggs is going to be a Lucic player. Worst case? His offense never develops and whoever takes him gets another Paradis or Huge Specimen. Good project for the 2nd round, definitely not at #12.

Old
05-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
More like this years Colton Gillies IMO. Sutter at least showed some offensive upside in his draft year and played a very clean game for a power forward. Not saying it doesn't exist for Biggs, but I think best case Biggs is going to be a Lucic player. Worst case? His offense never develops and whoever takes him gets another Paradis or Huge Specimen. Good project for the 2nd round, definitely not at #12.
If the Hurricanes ever get anything Lucic like to play on a linebwith Staal and Skinner I will lose my ****. A right handed Lucic would make our top line unfrocking stoppable.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:11 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Biggs is way too risky at 12, IMO. I think McNeill would probably be a safer pick with more upside who also could provide size and physicality in the top 6. JR has shown he likes WHL forwards so I wouldn't be surprised if he's our pick if we don't trade up or someone unexpectedly falls

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
OK gimme some info on Klefbom, I didn't know much about him, but ISS has him at 11th overall on their newest rankings... From the info Hockey's Future has on him, he seems like the perfect Canes pick.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:13 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
OK gimme some info on Klefbom, I didn't know much about him, but ISS has him at 11th overall on their newest rankings... From the info Hockey's Future has on him, he seems like the perfect Canes pick.
I came here to say exactly this. HF's summary on him is really enticing. I know JR doesn't like to pick defensemen, but there's a time for everything...

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFifthStaal View Post
Biggs is way too risky at 12, IMO. I think McNeill would probably be a safer pick with more upside who also could provide size and physicality in the top 6. JR has shown he likes WHL forwards so I wouldn't be surprised if he's our pick if we don't trade up or someone unexpectedly falls
I mentioned that in the thread where the fellow came by to get votes for our pick, actually voted for him. He reminds me a LOT of Andrew Ladd his draft eligible season except in '04 the NA class was so weak that Ladd was able to jump to the 1st slot on the Central Scouting list and we grabbed him 4th overall. He's a guy I really noticed while doing due diligence for my keeper league with Ryan Button prior to his trade to Seattle. Wears 9 .....which usually means you've got a Gordie Howe fan. Right handed shot and likely to move from C to W as a professional. Kid is pure nails out there. In the nit pickiest criticism of him I can muster, I don't like his hairline. Seriously. Usually players with bad hairlines this early are almost physically matured. Just a small, inconsequential concern that I noticed while looking deeper into his stock. But you'd be surprised how many scouts get turned off of a kid for "face".

In regards to Tyler Biggs, I wouldn't like him as our pick at 12th overall but he's not going to last a hell of a lot longer than that on the boards. The biggest concern with him was obviously not taking the requisite steps forward offensively to justify his ridiculous overrating in the preseason rankings. But one would be surprised what a modicum of offensive skill, massive size, and a strong desire to play a physical brand of hockey with defensive awareness will do for a 16-17 year old kid in regards to projection. I don't see him as offensively void as Colton Gillies. I think his U18 performance was pressure related as he knew his rankings were dropping by the term and felt he had to do too much offensively and moved away from the type of game that makes him a prospect. Whatever team takes Biggs is putting in a 3 or 4 year commitment to develop a picture perfect grinder and not a lot of teams like to do that when the upside is so obviously limited. But players like Biggs, when they have success, can be game changers in the Cal Clutterbuck sense. Players that relish physical contact, can take a regular shift, and pot 10, 15, or perhaps even 20 goals from your third line while killing penalties are almost as rare as snipers that can pop 30 a year and nearly as valuable. Not as exciting for fans, but coaches love it. I don't see his upside as being incredibly high nor do I see his downside being as low as Dave does by placing him in the Jessiman category. I think he'll be an NHL player, but at what expense? If you use a Top 15 pick on this player, then you obviously expect more than the player that I described earlier or at least hope for more. In the 25th to 30th range? Take it. I wouldn't expect him to make it out of the late teens.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:06 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Can't say I follow Swedish hockey all that closely other then a few select prospects (Komarek) so the best info is probably going to be on the prospects board if there's a thread on the guy. I think the dman and Euro factors combined make this one a non-starter, even though there's a chance he's the best on the board when we pick.

Old
05-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
After getting a feel for what Rutherford said in his presser, I have drawn a few inferences that may or may not be fallacious to determine what he plans to do with the 12th pick.

1. He is keeping the pick and drafting there.
2. He is going defense.
3. This player COULD be asked to contribute immediately.
4. Probably not European.

With those aspects in mind I have ruled out NCAA or NCAA bound prospects. Oleksiak is the only guy in the wheel house at that point that may make us reconsider that stance.

I think we go CHL defender with our pick.

With that said, and all the factors taken into account, I think I have an idea of who we may be looking at.

Joe Morrow, defender from Sherwood Park, Alberta. '92 birthday, likely more NHL ready than players in the same range like Siemens. PMD with a game that has drawn comparisons to Duncan Keith.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote