HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-12-2011, 10:13 PM
  #26
Sens Mile
Registered User
 
Sens Mile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,458
vCash: 500
Would a mod be able to sticky this, occasionally want to bring up conversation on a radio piece and never can find it. Radio interviews should intensify come draft time too, could be useful

Sens Mile is offline  
Old
05-13-2011, 08:09 AM
  #27
Spex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
I agree with all the views here about the daytime shows, except for the scratches. I don't know how anyone could possibly say that's the best show in the line up.

I'll admit, I guess I will sound a little two-faced, because even though I dislike it, I usually have it on because as bad as the TEAM 1200 is it's pretty much the only station I listen to.

Anyway, here's my take on the Scratches. For a 3 hour show, they don't talk much sports as a whole…

From 3 to 4, it's a quick recap of the day's stories, a preview on the nights action and maybe an interview. But the majority of the hour is spent on BS chit chat about idiotic stuff.
From 4 to 5…the Power hour. Although it's a good product, probably the best hour on radio, it's not innovative. They dedicate and promote an hour of hockey talk on an already all-Hockey radio station. Hmm, ok.
From 5 to 5:30…more BS and tons of 3 to 4 paragraph emails that Steve reads word for word. What other radio station reads 500 word essays?
From 5:30 to 6pm…A replay of an earlier interview (yes, that's right. They replay an interview that took place less than 2 hours earlier), maybe a few more emails and they sign off.

Rinse and repeat 5x per week

This show is real bad with content. Take yesterday as an example…They devoted a roughly 20 minute segment to interviewing a guy who's a finalist in the Lays Stanley Cup contest. Wow! What other radio station would devote even 5 minutes to someone who won a contest…let alone 20 minutes to someone who's just a Finalist?

Following the interview, they surprisingly read an email from someone complaining about the show, asking for non-hockey stuff. But then right after that, they read an email that said something like…"hey pal, go get your baseball and basketball fix somewhere else".

Those emails and they fact they actually read them, pretty much sums up the image of this station…"We're a sports radio station, but if you're looking for baseball, basketball, football talk….go somewhere else"

Again, I don't know how this can be seen as the best in the line-up.

My vote for best all around show, a show with the right mix of hockey, non-hockey and non-sport topics is AJ's show in my opinion.

I hope TSN Radio either tells these guys to shape up or replaces them with people who can actually do the job.

Spex is offline  
Old
05-13-2011, 08:21 AM
  #28
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
I agree with all the views here about the daytime shows, except for the scratches. I don't know how anyone could possibly say that's the best show in the line up.

I'll admit, I guess I will sound a little two-faced, because even though I dislike it, I usually have it on because as bad as the TEAM 1200 is it's pretty much the only station I listen to.

Anyway, here's my take on the Scratches. For a 3 hour show, they don't talk much sports as a whole…

From 3 to 4, it's a quick recap of the day's stories, a preview on the nights action and maybe an interview. But the majority of the hour is spent on BS chit chat about idiotic stuff.
From 4 to 5…the Power hour. Although it's a good product, probably the best hour on radio, it's not innovative. They dedicate and promote an hour of hockey talk on an already all-Hockey radio station. Hmm, ok.
From 5 to 5:30…more BS and tons of 3 to 4 paragraph emails that Steve reads word for word. What other radio station reads 500 word essays?
From 5:30 to 6pm…A replay of an earlier interview (yes, that's right. They replay an interview that took place less than 2 hours earlier), maybe a few more emails and they sign off.

Rinse and repeat 5x per week

This show is real bad with content. Take yesterday as an example…They devoted a roughly 20 minute segment to interviewing a guy who's a finalist in the Lays Stanley Cup contest. Wow! What other radio station would devote even 5 minutes to someone who won a contest…let alone 20 minutes to someone who's just a Finalist?

Following the interview, they surprisingly read an email from someone complaining about the show, asking for non-hockey stuff. But then right after that, they read an email that said something like…"hey pal, go get your baseball and basketball fix somewhere else".

Those emails and they fact they actually read them, pretty much sums up the image of this station…"We're a sports radio station, but if you're looking for baseball, basketball, football talk….go somewhere else"

Again, I don't know how this can be seen as the best in the line-up.

My vote for best all around show, a show with the right mix of hockey, non-hockey and non-sport topics is AJ's show in my opinion.

I hope TSN Radio either tells these guys to shape up or replaces them with people who can actually do the job.
While i agree this station is bad i think your blaming the wrong people maybe they should get some blame but the owners should get a fair amount of blame.


Last edited by wjhl2009fan: 05-29-2011 at 02:55 PM.
wjhl2009fan is offline  
Old
05-13-2011, 08:36 AM
  #29
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,042
vCash: 492
Though at first it seemed like filler, more and more I am enjoying AJ's Sports Ticket.

He has actual sports guests on and the show is not tedious to listen too like, for exmple, TGOR endlessly going over the same infantile jokes and tiresome and endless anecdotes.

He also sometimes has a lawyer on-some legal advisor to the station-Eric someone-or other-who is very entertaining and with interesting opinions.

I'd like to hear from him more often and ideally have him replace Jim Jerome and Angry Al in any and all occassions.

Whatever happens in the future to the station,I hope those two are off the air.They seem to be friends of the other hosts, but enough is enough.

pepty is offline  
Old
05-13-2011, 08:54 AM
  #30
Icelevel
little bit better
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,887
vCash: 500
used to like showkiller on sportscall, but can't stand that guy now. He's been trying to sound like Jim Rome lately and he sounds ridiculous. Ruins the show for me. Lee Versage can be annoying too.

Healthy scratches is good when they have guests on. Galley is good. CJ Stevenson is good. Usually good interviews with whoever's on.
When they have nothing to talk about though (way too often) it gets real silly and it quickly turns into bad radio.

AJ is alright. haven't listened enough cause by that time there isn't usually any new hockey news.

TGOR and Jim Rome, radio is always off.

Icelevel is offline  
Old
05-13-2011, 09:42 AM
  #31
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 1413
I listen to Sportscall every day in my office. I find it is very good when the Sens are playing and they had Scott McArtur from the rink. Right now, not so good but I overall like the two guys and the show. Versage tries too hard , though, with dumb comments trying to incite people to call.

Healthy scratches is cery good and AJ is solid too. Jim Rome...the show has its moments. He is funny with his sarcasm but too much basketball and horse racing for me.

I started another thread commenting on how much I like the NHL Channel on XMRadio. It's like the healthy scracthes all day with top notch guests.

coladin is offline  
Old
05-13-2011, 10:14 AM
  #32
Lenny the Lynx
Registered User
 
Lenny the Lynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
I agree with all the views here about the daytime shows, except for the scratches. I don't know how anyone could possibly say that's the best show in the line up.

...
Definitely can see your point - but I think you're expecting a little too much out of a radio show. They are pretty limited in their resources.

I also think the thing about covering non-hockey sports stories - thats a pretty conscious choice they have made. Some people are going to like it, some aren't - I personally don't follow anything other than hockey (except big events like the superbowl maybe) so it works for me, but I could see how it would be annoying if you were into other sports.

Lenny the Lynx is offline  
Old
05-13-2011, 02:22 PM
  #33
Lenny the Lynx
Registered User
 
Lenny the Lynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,688
vCash: 500
Tim Murray coming up after the break - he's usually pretty good

Lenny the Lynx is offline  
Old
05-13-2011, 03:28 PM
  #34
Spex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Tim Murray coming up after the break - he's usually pretty good

And around 5:30

Spex is offline  
Old
05-13-2011, 04:36 PM
  #35
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,024
vCash: 500
TGOR is so so so SO bad. It amazes me Pierre even graces them with his presence.

TSN Radio really worries me. It should bring higher quality programming, but Im scared the station will start covering more of other sports (as is, they cover too much non hockey stuff IMO).

Also, Im afraid it will become a very Toronto centric station. I dont find TSN itself (TV, Web) to be as Toronto centric as many do, but I see them piping in a lot of content from their toronto radio station

SilverSeven is offline  
Old
05-13-2011, 07:30 PM
  #36
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal
 
Inkling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Though at first it seemed like filler, more and more I am enjoying AJ's Sports Ticket.
I am too. It's so nice to have locally relevant content in the evenings compared to the old days when it would be the Fox or ESPN programs talking about some college lacrosse game in the some obscure place you've never heard of. There's a lot of Junior Hockey talk during the season which I appreciate and a bit of soccer talk too. I find myself listening to it a lot if I'm out in the car during the evenings.

I appreciate them playing the Bingo playoff games too.

Good stuff from the Team. Credit where credit is due.

Inkling is offline  
Old
05-13-2011, 08:23 PM
  #37
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,042
vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
TGOR is so so so SO bad. It amazes me Pierre even graces them with his presence.

TSN Radio really worries me. It should bring higher quality programming, but Im scared the station will start covering more of other sports (as is, they cover too much non hockey stuff IMO).

Also, Im afraid it will become a very Toronto centric station. I dont find TSN itself (TV, Web) to be as Toronto centric as many do, but I see them piping in a lot of content from their toronto radio station
Me too. Most of what we get on the national broadcasts is Ottawa news form the point of view of Toronto media.We have too much of that already.

The best thing about Team 1200 is the local programming (I am not counting anyone calling in from their Edmonton basement)

I woundn't mind programming from elesewhere in Canada, Toronto on Montreal or somewhere else instead of the Fox stuff, but dont want to lose the local content-though some of it could be improved.

Introducing more local prgramming is one of the things they have done right on Team 1200 recently.

pepty is offline  
Old
05-13-2011, 08:37 PM
  #38
Droc
Classless
 
Droc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: In my house.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,345
vCash: 500
Nothing is worse then giving Tony Greco so much frigging airtime. How they talk for hours every single frigging wednesday about eating a balanced diet and working out is beyond me. Its the same frigging **** over and over. I dont care what Greco has done, or how much money he shells out, he has never said anything interesting in his life.
Wednesdays is a total team1200 write off

Droc is offline  
Old
05-13-2011, 11:37 PM
  #39
Cowen Time
Registered User
 
Cowen Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
Nothing is worse then giving Tony Greco so much frigging airtime. How they talk for hours every single frigging wednesday about eating a balanced diet and working out is beyond me. Its the same frigging **** over and over. I dont care what Greco has done, or how much money he shells out, he has never said anything interesting in his life.
Wednesdays is a total team1200 write off

Greco's "show" on Saturday is a paid infomercial. Haven't heard the Wed. one, but bet it's part of the airtime package he pays for.

Cowen Time is offline  
Old
05-14-2011, 12:42 PM
  #40
otown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 245
vCash: 500
If TSN radio does make a move to 1200 there will be "Three Guys on Pogey" !

otown is offline  
Old
05-29-2011, 10:51 AM
  #41
Ours Whole
Registered User
 
Ours Whole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arctic Circle
Country: Canada
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
used to like showkiller on sportscall, but can't stand that guy now. He's been trying to sound like Jim Rome lately and he sounds ridiculous. Ruins the show for me. Lee Versage can be annoying too.
I'm with you on this.


Last edited by Ours Whole: 05-29-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Ours Whole is offline  
Old
05-29-2011, 01:20 PM
  #42
salomonster
Registered User
 
salomonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Double dot
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,360
vCash: 500
It's better then last year. But still has room for improvment.

The morning show is what it is. No matter the station accross the city. There are annoying people doing talk radio on all stations.

At least on TGOR: there is instances where we are talking sports.

Sports Talk with Lee Versage and Phil Showkiller Melanson:TGOR This show is a million times better w/o Kulka who was bad. But Showkiller is too opinionated if you ask me and his rants speak to him living in his parent's basement. That guys a looser.

The Jim Rome Show: Has its fans and some who hate him. Kinda a right off for me as I don't particuarly like thim so I'm most often gonna skip it till 3pm when the Healthy Scratches go on.

Healthy Scratches/ Summer Scratches: This is my favorite show for Sens stuff. Jason York brings good stories of his days as a Sen and nhl player. His Daigle stories are classics. Loyd's is good as well. This show often delves into past Senators stories which facsinates me. Summer Scratches begins when York leaves for the summe and some guest come it. Good show. Not 100% hockey talk which is ok too.

Power Hr: Good hockey specific show which have Van Allen, Loyd, Yorkie, sometimes Galley ++ strongest hockey show aside from a pre game show.

All in a team 1200 gets a B from me.

I personally don't care forthe ESPN stuff at night. If there' isn't a pre game, game of post game and there's ESPN crap I won't listen to it.

Same with Jim Rome, I'd be happy with something else.

salomonster is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 09:32 AM
  #43
emo
Registered User
 
emo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cap City
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Though at first it seemed like filler, more and more I am enjoying AJ's Sports Ticket.
I think his show is too long. He always sounds like he's struggling to fill the time. Speaking slowly with lots of pauses, dragging out everything he says.

emo is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 09:43 AM
  #44
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons
 
Ghost in the Shell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 9,019
vCash: 920
Pierre said that he still thinks Melnyk will name the coach, not Murray. Oh god, please no.

Ghost in the Shell is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 04:18 PM
  #45
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spensar View Post
Greco's "show" on Saturday is a paid infomercial. Haven't heard the Wed. one, but bet it's part of the airtime package he pays for.
I use Greco as a learning tool for my children the importance of grammar and public speaking. We have a game Saturday morning on who can guess how many times he says "you know" when he talks. I think my son won the last one at 22.

Also "the reason for that is because" is not very inspiring English!

He is a self made man, I am actually a Greco member...he is a success story but needs to learn English!

coladin is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 04:41 PM
  #46
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.
 
Melnyks Mirage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cumberland
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,831
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
TGOR is so so so SO bad. It amazes me Pierre even graces them with his presence.

TSN Radio really worries me. It should bring higher quality programming, but Im scared the station will start covering more of other sports (as is, they cover too much non hockey stuff IMO).

Also, Im afraid it will become a very Toronto centric station. I dont find TSN itself (TV, Web) to be as Toronto centric as many do, but I see them piping in a lot of content from their toronto radio station
I'm actually fine with most of this and I'm a relatively die-hard Sens fan.

If you listen to other stations, they bring non-stop sports takes. Team 1200...as a previous poster said, 3-4 pm you hear about AJ Jakubec's relationships or Yorkie's hockey tournaments, basically filler crap. 4-5 is the only real content. Having Tim Murray on...is ok I guess, but he and Bryan are always on and they'll be around forever so who cares really.

I welcome TSN Radio, maybe it will force these guys to elevate their games.

Melnyks Mirage is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 04:44 PM
  #47
Icelevel
little bit better
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
Pierre said that he still thinks Melnyk will name the coach, not Murray. Oh god, please no.
Pierre is an attention junkie. I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of that clown's mouth.

Icelevel is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 07:02 PM
  #48
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,042
vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
I'm actually fine with most of this and I'm a relatively die-hard Sens fan.

If you listen to other stations, they bring non-stop sports takes. Team 1200...as a previous poster said, 3-4 pm you hear about AJ Jakubec's relationships or Yorkie's hockey tournaments, basically filler crap. 4-5 is the only real content. Having Tim Murray on...is ok I guess, but he and Bryan are always on and they'll be around forever so who cares really.

I welcome TSN Radio, maybe it will force these guys to elevate their games.
What station are you referring to with the non stop sports takes?

I sometimes listen tothe Fan 590 noon hour show as I am not interested in the Jim Rome show.

Lots of repetitive bantering back and forth between Kypreos and Maclean very similar to the Yorkie and Loydie stuff.

A couple of times I left it on and heard Andrew Krystal ramble on in buffoonish fashion that the Canucks can never be Canada's team as the Leafs are really Canada's team-just stuff to stir up the audience but a waste of time for anyone not from Toronto.

AJ Jakubec is really interested in and knowledgeable about a wide variety of sports and especially junior hockey. I enjoy the guests he had on his show from across Canada, new voices that we don't hear from on the same old TSN and Sportsnet shows.

Much as I find Jim Jerome for example very tiresome., I very much appreciate having Ottawa content on the local station.

We get too much of the same old people giving a Toronto perspective of the sports scene already, we don't need any more.

pepty is offline  
Old
08-29-2011, 02:53 PM
  #49
Spire2000
Registered User
 
Spire2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
Gonna bring this back up to the top.

Has there been any news or new rumours about the format of the station after this week? Everyone assumed that the station would be flipping to TSN Radio 1200 a week tomorrow, but still nothing that I've heard...

Spire2000 is offline  
Old
10-11-2011, 08:29 AM
  #50
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman
 
MainDotC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Morrisville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,067
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
JR screwed me by reading my email saying "Al from New York City"...I live about 6 hours upstate and 3 hrs from the O...

MainDotC is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.