HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs sign Raphael Diaz (May 2011)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-13-2011, 11:59 AM
  #101
swimmer77
What's an ROW?
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
Adds depth defensively IMO to the whole organization which will be needed if Emelin signs. I mean if for whatever reason Emelin would not pan out he's going back to Russia? It's not like the Habs will be able to send him down and then recall someone else. Habs need depth given the history of injuries and Emelin's type of contract to be.

I hope it has no bearing on Weber or Wiz.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:02 PM
  #102
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Adds depth defensively IMO to the whole organization which will be needed if Emelin signs. I mean if for whatever reason Emelin would not pan out he's going back to Russia? It's not like the Habs will be able to send him down and then recall someone else. Habs need depth given the history of injuries and Emelin's type of contract to be.

I hope it has no bearing on Weber or Wiz.
If Markov resigns Wiz is not coming back. Theres just no room if this team wants to focus on the forward group which needs size.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:08 PM
  #103
swimmer77
What's an ROW?
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
If Markov resigns Wiz is not coming back. Theres just no room if this team wants to focus on the forward group which needs size.
I tend to agree but I'll believe EVERYTHING more when it's done. A lot of speculation right now is media driven and in Montreal that means a lot of sheep are following and the media is spewing what the fans want to hear.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:14 PM
  #104
PATCHESx67
Registered User
 
PATCHESx67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Island MTL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,389
vCash: 500
ok why do people keep saying nobody would take spacek like are u guys serious ? jaro has one more year at 3.5 why woudlnt a team that need veteran d's take him ? no huge risk worst case scenario he has a bad year again and doesnt get re-signed its not like the guy has 5 more years in hes contract

we took gomez not too long ago and hes case was 10x worst

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:20 PM
  #105
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
ok why do people keep saying nobody would take spacek like are u guys serious ? jaro has one more year at 3.5 why woudlnt a team that need veteran d's take him ? no huge risk worst case scenario he has a bad year again and doesnt get re-signed its not like the guy has 5 more years in hes contract

we took gomez not too long ago and hes case was 10x worst
Cause he's a 1.5 million dollar D being paid 3.8 million. Maybe at deadline but I won't hold my breath. We'd be lucky to lose him in a Kovalev to Pittsburgh type deal

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:21 PM
  #106
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
ok why do people keep saying nobody would take spacek like are u guys serious ? jaro has one more year at 3.5 why woudlnt a team that need veteran d's take him ? no huge risk worst case scenario he has a bad year again and doesnt get re-signed its not like the guy has 5 more years in hes contract

we took gomez not too long ago and hes case was 10x worst
Because there are younger cheaper options out there on the ufa market. MAYBE if a team loses out on everyone they want on the ufa market and are completely Desperate, but I still can't see it. I think teams would rather just go sign Hamrlik to a deal they want to rather than take on Spacek. Sorry but that signing was a bad one and we are probably stuck with it. You can't just dump 37 year old defenseman making close to 3.8 million on teams.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:22 PM
  #107
habsprospects
Irresponsible User
 
habsprospects's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sherbrooke, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
That was his first year of eligibility. This year's draft would be the last year he'd be eligible.
He turned 18 on Sept 13 2009, so he was eligible at 2009 draft. Also, since he never played junior in N-A, he is eligible until the 2013 draft because he turns 22 only in Sept 2013.

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:24 PM
  #108
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,480
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
ok why do people keep saying nobody would take spacek like are u guys serious ? jaro has one more year at 3.5 why woudlnt a team that need veteran d's take him ?
He has no offense left. You don't pay $4m for a dman with no offensive skills.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:25 PM
  #109
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,304
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
He turned 18 on Sept 13 2009, so he was eligible at 2009 draft. Also, since he never played junior in N-A, he is eligible until the 2013 draft because he turns 22 only in Sept 2013.
Really didn't know about the 2013 part, thanks.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:38 PM
  #110
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
There's no way he starts the season with the big club. With Emelin coming over, there won't be any room, barring injuries.

And what we've learned this season is that you can NEVER have enough defenseman. Lets build up some more depth so we dont have to trade picks for guys like mara and sopel down the road.

Also, lets keep in mind that a couple of the top players mentioned in that league are josh holden and micki dupont, two guys who had their shot in the nhl but never panned out.

But Diaz is much younger than those guys, so the chance for further development still exists.


Last edited by Hackett: 05-13-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:45 PM
  #111
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
And what we've learned this season is that you can NEVER have enough defenseman. Lets build up some more depth so we dont have to trade picks for guys like mara and sopel down the road.
Yup thats a very good point. When you look at what we have in Hamilton next year incase we need an emergency call up due to injuries its not that great. Carle is the only one I'd feel good about bringing up. Nash was ok, he looked slow when he was up last year though. And then you don't have much after that.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:55 PM
  #112
tycho
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Good signing, looks like we won out on the best UFA dman in the swiss league. Its great to have depth on d as we've seen this year. From PG, it sounds like they think he is NHL ready, it'll be nice to see him try steal a roster spot at training camp.

Does anyone know why Weber was left off the Swiss team this year? I know they asked him to come and be part of it but I also remember reading that they didn't want him to play and he agreed or was fine with that as well.

Why did they want him to be there though, as a mentor maybe? Or did they maybe not want to take away from some younger player's development?
This was a little strange and there has been a lot of speculation. After Montreal and Anaheim were eliminated of the playoffs, Sbisa was immediately called up while Weber was not. The reason for this could be that the Swiss team already had enough offensive defensemen in the roster. But it has also been reported that head coach Sean Simpson didn't want to destroy the team chemistry. After the forward Thomas Déruns was injured, Simpson changed his mind and called Weber up. Weber apparently already booked the flight, but Simpson changed his mind again and told Weber not to join. (It is speculated that Weber insisted on playing in defense and having PP minutes. While Simpson wanted to use him "Montreal style"). Finally, Goran Bezina was injured during the Canada game and suddenly the place on D as well as a PP spot was available, but Weber as well as Ramholt turned down, thus John Gobbi was called up. A strange story. More on this in German can be found under:
http://www.20min.ch/eishockey_wm/schweiz/story/21514239

tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:08 PM
  #113
Le depisteur
Registered User
 
Le depisteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Québec
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He was invited but declined. Weber played top 4 at the Olympics.
Weber played top 4 with 8:28 minutes per game???

In comparaison, Diaz played 13:23 minutes per game...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:17 PM
  #114
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,304
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Weber played top 4 with 8:28 minutes per game???

In comparaison, Diaz played 13:23 minutes per game...
Yeah Weber was pretty bad at the Olympics. Looked like he wasn't ready for that kind of competition.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:31 PM
  #115
jonas2244
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Weber was very bad in the first two games vs. USA and CAN and was benched for the third game I think. After that he came back and played pretty good vs. Belarus and in the Quarterfinal vs. USA.

I was very unhappy that Simpson didn't call Weber for the national team. I saw quite a few games of Weber for MTL and he made a huge progress and is not comparable to the Weber of Vancouver 2010. I think Diaz is currently on an equal level, but he may be better defensively. Probably also has a lot to do whith his partner, he played with Luca Sbisa at the WC and he makes everyone look good around him.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:38 PM
  #116
Shutdown
Registered User
 
Shutdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2244 View Post
Weber was very bad in the first two games vs. USA and CAN and was benched for the third game I think. After that he came back and played pretty good vs. Belarus and in the Quarterfinal vs. USA.

I was very unhappy that Simpson didn't call Weber for the national team. I saw quite a few games of Weber for MTL and he made a huge progress and is not comparable to the Weber of Vancouver 2010. I think Diaz is currently on an equal level, but he may be better defensively. Probably also has a lot to do whith his partner, he played with Luca Sbisa at the WC and he makes everyone look good around him.
I forget where I read this, might've been Godin from La Presse, but they told Weber it wasn't worth him going over there for a game or two.

Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:44 PM
  #117
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
If Markov resigns Wiz is not coming back. Theres just no room if this team wants to focus on the forward group which needs size.
Not just the forward group needs size. So does the d core. Wiz and Markov aren't just expensive, they're also small. Subban's physical but he's pretty short for a D these days. Gorges and Weber are clearly undersized. Spacek plays like he's 4'8" half the time... although to be fair the man does know how to poke check.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:51 PM
  #118
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,694
vCash: 500
Not to derail the thread but we can re-sign Wiz and Markov and keep our cap spending on our D to about $20-21m. That leaves about $42m for the forwards which is sufficient.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:52 PM
  #119
shiram
Registered User
 
shiram's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Habstown
Country: Canada
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Not to derail the thread but we can re-sign Wiz and Markov and keep our cap spending on our D to about $20-21m. That leaves about $42m for the forwards which is sufficient.
That's forgetting a goalie and his backup.

shiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:56 PM
  #120
Poulet Kostopoulos
Registered User
 
Poulet Kostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
And what we've learned this season is that you can NEVER have enough defenseman. Lets build up some more depth so we dont have to trade picks for guys like mara and sopel down the road.
With our luck, next season, it's gonna be the forwards turn.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:00 PM
  #121
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,710
vCash: 500
Woner is Weber or Spacegoat is on the block. No clue who he is but PG wants to give us something to talk about.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:04 PM
  #122
shortcat1
Registered User
 
shortcat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Downtown Palau, ON
Country: Palau
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
A man that I know in Switzerland who's, as far as I understand, a part-time hockey scout emailed me saying the following:

"I definitely believe that Diaz can become as good as Streit! At the same age Diaz is even slightly better but Streit has this unique asset to become year by year because he works so hard mentally and preparex excellent physically. I don't think at this point that Diaz is in thes section as good as Streit but he is also smart and works hard but maybe not very hard. In other aspects they are comparable. I guess Streit has the better one-timer but Diaz is a smart shooter who never overpowers his shots and uses the wristshot a lot. He does give the crowded slot-people always a chance for deflections."

I don't know if this was mentioned before but, on top of that, Marc-Antoine Godin of Cyberpresse.ca said that, according to the Swiss press, Diaz was also courted by Anaheim & Chicago.

So, on the whole, according to him, this is a very good signing. He may not make the team but no one knows.

Also, this may be a bit of an insurance policy against any complications in signing Emelin.

We'll see.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:16 PM
  #123
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,131
vCash: 500
Shortcat

Are you by any chance an SNFU fan? Just wondering bc your avatar is a photo they used on "...And No One Else Wanted to Play"

Agree, Diaz is a good signing, low-risk with upside.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:21 PM
  #124
swimmer77
What's an ROW?
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
A man that I know in Switzerland who's, as far as I understand, a part-time hockey scout emailed me saying the following:

"I definitely believe that Diaz can become as good as Streit! At the same age Diaz is even slightly better but Streit has this unique asset to become year by year because he works so hard mentally and preparex excellent physically. I don't think at this point that Diaz is in thes section as good as Streit but he is also smart and works hard but maybe not very hard. In other aspects they are comparable. I guess Streit has the better one-timer but Diaz is a smart shooter who never overpowers his shots and uses the wristshot a lot. He does give the crowded slot-people always a chance for deflections."

I don't know if this was mentioned before but, on top of that, Marc-Antoine Godin of Cyberpresse.ca said that, according to the Swiss press, Diaz was also courted by Anaheim & Chicago.

So, on the whole, according to him, this is a very good signing. He may not make the team but no one knows.

Also, this may be a bit of an insurance policy against any complications in signing Emelin.

We'll see.
Now the Habs need the guys to crowd the slot.

Thanks for the info.................

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:24 PM
  #125
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Now the Habs need the guys to crowd the slot.

Thanks for the info.................
That's Darche's speciality.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.