HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

vCash: 500
Eh, screw Grabner. If we had kept him, we wouldn't have the #3 pick in the draft. We'd have the #5 pick at highest, if not lower. I'd rather have that than Grabner+whatever the pick would've been.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:14 PM
FlaPanthers7

Respectfully disagree - would rather have kept Grabner and gotten a kid like Strome or Huberdeau around that 5 pick.

Old
05-13-2011, 12:27 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Eh, screw Grabner. If we had kept him, we wouldn't have the #3 pick in the draft. We'd have the #5 pick at highest, if not lower. I'd rather have that than Grabner+whatever the pick would've been.
So, assuming Grabner would have produced the same in Florida, you'd rather have a complete unknown, untested NHLer over a proven 30 goal scorer who can play on the penalty kill?

Old
05-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
So, assuming Grabner would have produced the same in Florida, you'd rather have a complete unknown, untested NHLer over a proven 30 goal scorer who can play on the penalty kill?
Yes, because we are likely taking either Landeskog or Couturier, and they are both safe prospects and have higher potential than what Grabner's ceiling figures to be. I wouldn't label Grabner as proven either, he's only had good season, and one year of 30 goals.

Old
05-13-2011, 02:06 PM
timetraveler023
Unregistered User

Grabner may not have picked his play up had he not been waived. So we still could have sucked and had a high pick along with a player that may or may not have improved over the course of the season.

But since we are pretending everything dumb that happens doesn't actually happen because of rampant insecurity, I agree. Screw Grabner, we don't need talented young players. We're rebuilding. lol wait what

And we certainly don't need them when there's the potential of going from worst team in the east to second worst.

Tallon was probably still going to blow the team up and send them on their magnificent spiral into oblivion, anyway. He wants his picks and players. That's fine. I just don't know why people are so sensitive to blunders. It's hard to prefer the unproven #3 pick over a rookie whom by your own estimation would have been effective enough to hurt our draft position, even if only one or two draft spots - potentially still allowing us to pick in the top 5 or 6. I know it's all uncertain, but come on. Screw Grabner? We got the short end of the stick. Why is that so hard to handle? It is what it is.

Besides, when Grabner got to 20 goals, we could have acquired more thirds.

Old
05-13-2011, 02:23 PM
timetraveler023
Unregistered User

Quote:
Yes, because we are likely taking either Landeskog or Couturier, and they are both safe prospects and have higher potential than what Grabner's ceiling figures to be. I wouldn't label Grabner as proven either, he's only had good season, and one year of 30 goals.
It's just hard to peg him as a one-hit wonder. You see guys make a living in front of the net or play with great linemates that throw out a fluke season, but Grabner was genuinely fun to watch over the course of the season. We got nothing for a promising young player. I hope they're willing to accept that fact instead of playing it off because giving up on a player so quickly is an interesting tweak to their plans of working with and developing young players.

Old
05-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveler023 View Post
Grabner may not have picked his play up had he not been waived. So we still could have sucked and had a high pick along with a player that may or may not have improved over the course of the season.
Grabner might not have picked up his play, true. But I think that's a convenient thing for you to say and then also go and lament about Grabner's rookie season and what we lost.

Quote:
But since we are pretending everything dumb that happens doesn't actually happen because of rampant insecurity, I agree. Screw Grabner, we don't need talented young players. We're rebuilding. lol wait what

And we certainly don't need them when there's the potential of going from worst team in the east to second worst.
I'm just tired of hearing about Grabner. And it's not because I can't stand to be reminded of him or "rampant insecurity". I honestly could care less about Grabner. It's just annoying hearing about him over and over and "how the Panthers messed up". I'd bet Panthers fans are still going to be pining over this 5 years from now. For my part, as I said, I couldn't care less and am actually glad things worked out the way they did. Of course we need talented young players, but I'd rather as I said have one young player with the highest upside than have two with lesser potential. We can debate who has what potential until the cows come home, it's just my opinion that Landeskog and Couturier, even Huberdeau, have higher potential. It's not just as simple as we could have had two young talented players instead of one.

Quote:
Tallon was probably still going to blow the team up and send them on their magnificent spiral into oblivion, anyway. He wants his picks and players. That's fine. I just don't know why people are so sensitive to blunders. It's hard to prefer the unproven #3 pick over a rookie whom by your own estimation would have been effective enough to hurt our draft position, even if only one or two draft spots - potentially still allowing us to pick in the top 5 or 6. I know it's all uncertain, but come on. Screw Grabner? We got the short end of the stick. Why is that so hard to handle? It is what it is.

The team might not have even been blown up. Who knows what our record would have been with Grabner. I've said before that waiving Grabner was a mistake - even though I like the way it worked out - yes, at the time it was a mistake. I'm not sensitive to blunders. Yes, we got the short end of the stick. But as I said, I don't care, I'd rather have Landeskog or Couturier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveler023 View Post
It's just hard to peg him as a one-hit wonder. You see guys make a living in front of the net or play with great linemates that throw out a fluke season, but Grabner was genuinely fun to watch over the course of the season. We got nothing for a promising young player. I hope they're willing to accept that fact instead of playing it off because giving up on a player so quickly is an interesting tweak to their plans of working with and developing young players.
I'm not saying he was a one hit wonder. I just think it's too early to think of him as some consistent 30 goal scorer. There've been plenty of guys who had big years early on who never surpassed them or even didn't even match them again. I'm not saying this will happen with Grabner, but you never know. Even if he does become a consistent 30 goal scorer, so what, that doesn't make him some superstar. I mean usually when you have the 3rd overall pick you are expecting more than that.

We all know why Grabner was waived, let's not get cute or play dumb.

Old
05-13-2011, 03:57 PM
jol

Quote:

I'm just tired of hearing about Grabner. And it's not because I can't stand to be reminded of him or "rampant insecurity". I honestly could care less about Grabner. It's just annoying hearing about him over and over and "how the Panthers messed up". I'd bet Panthers fans are still going to be pining over this 5 years from now.
5 years??? How many years it's from Barnes/Woolley trade?

JOL

Old
05-13-2011, 08:58 PM
FlaPanthers7

If he continues to score 30+ goals, then yes, you will hear whining about it 5 years from now!

Old
05-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Knightmare

Boogaard found dead

Report saying Ranger's Derek Boogaard found dead in his apartment last night. Sad news, he was one of my favorite fighters.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp4873

Old
05-14-2011, 12:11 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

That's absolutely horrible news. Really sad to see a guy go at such a young age and he was definitely one that was very well respected around the league. The cause of death is unknown at this point. I'm guessing he either overdosed on something or it was just a freak thing, although that's extremely rare at only age 28. Either way, R.I.P. Boogeyman

Old
05-14-2011, 12:19 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I was just reading on the NHL Forum that he had a concussion back in December and because he wasn't treating it well, it was possibly forcing him to retire during this off-season. I wonder if that was related. Others have mentioned maybe suicide due to dealing with the symptoms, but we'll find out the real cause in the near future I'm sure.

Old
05-14-2011, 03:31 AM
Gudbranson44

Very sad news...

Old
05-14-2011, 03:47 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Shock. Unbelievable. Tragic.

RIP.

Old
05-14-2011, 05:38 AM
Gudbranson44

Grabner signed a 5-yr deal, cap hit at 3mil$...

good deal id guess for the isles, but im not a fan of giving young players like him contracts with that many years...

Old
05-14-2011, 07:01 AM
Acadmus

I'm just stunned to see in the news the Boogie-man is dead

They aren't releasing any details, so I'm wondering if it's a suicide? But could be a bunch of possibilities. Sad.

05-14-2011, 07:01 AM
Acadmus

I'm just stunned to see in the news the Boogie-man is dead

They aren't releasing any details, so I'm wondering if it's a suicide? But could be a bunch of possibilities. Sad.

Old
05-14-2011, 10:31 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Derek Boogard, R.I.P.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/14...lders-and.html

Old
05-16-2011, 02:09 PM
harv3317

rip to boogard. sad news. grabner was an absolute steal for the isles and a major blunder by tallon!!!! this is the type of players we need to build around. we lost a freaking gem for absolutely nothing!!!!! trading horton was bad also. great for him though. he should of been part of our plan and tallon should've talked him into wanting to be here, or even forcing him to stay!!

Old
05-16-2011, 03:34 PM
vendetta

vCash: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
rip to boogard. sad news. grabner was an absolute steal for the isles and a major blunder by tallon!!!! this is the type of players we need to build around. we lost a freaking gem for absolutely nothing!!!!! trading horton was bad also. great for him though. he should of been part of our plan and tallon should've talked him into wanting to be here, or even forcing him to stay!!
haha wow! unbelievable....

Old
05-16-2011, 05:18 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post

Old
05-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Globe and Mail is saying that Atlanta to Winnipeg is a done deal and will be announced on Tuesday. Ridiculous it can't be resolved, but their ownership was just as lame as our own. Apparently much worse.

05-19-2011, 09:46 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

This thing with atlanta and winnipeg is sort of nerve racking on one end i feel sympathetic with thrashers fans because our fanbase has more in common with them than winnipeg. But i would also like to see Winnipeg have an NHL fan base. If the rumors are true it would be funny to see winnipeg in the SE Division next year and a ton more traveling for the panthers. But i would like to see nashville get moved into the SE and minnesota moved to the central that way winnipeg can have rivalries with calgary, edmonton, and vancouver and maybe HNIC would play more than just maple leafs games.

Old
05-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

There wasn't really anything the nhl could do. This is not like phoenix where they could hold the owners over a barrel.

Old
05-19-2011, 10:40 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

the winnipeg experiment will fail again.... sad day

Closed Thread