HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Player of the Game: Torrey Mitchell

Old
05-13-2011, 01:44 AM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

vCash: 500
Player of the Game: Torrey Mitchell

The guy delivered. Excelled in every facet of the game today (well... except the one that counts haha). Marleau kinda stole the spotlight a bit just because of all the media hype, but Mitchell was all over the place.

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:52 AM
Chubbs
Toasty

I love the way Mitchell has been playing. He really compliments Wellwood and Pavelski because they do all the thinking and he does all the moving.

He still has hands of stone and terrible passing, but he works hard on every shift.

Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:13 AM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
I said that this was a perfect 3rd line a few games after they were formed....for the regular season, the playoffs would either make or break them....and they have far and away exceded my wildest expectations, as much credit is due to Wellwood as well, he played one of his best games as a Shark too. Joe Money will bring it regardless

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Xsher

I thought Thornton was dominant out there. Every shift he took I noticed him always doing the right things and literally going beast mode on the entire Detroit team at points. Also his lookaway pass on the first goal was a thing of beauty and didn't get nearly enough attention on the VS feed.

Xsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:34 AM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsher View Post
I thought Thornton was dominant out there. Every shift he took I noticed him always doing the right things and literally going beast mode on the entire Detroit team at points. Also his lookaway pass on the first goal was a thing of beauty and didn't get nearly enough attention on the VS feed.
One thing Thornton has over both Zetterberg and Datsyuk ... he's huge. When he applies himself, he's nearly unstoppable.

I think that fake shot-pass to Heatley on the 2 on 1 is underrated as well. But yeah that pass to seto ... that thing had to go a long way really quickly to get that play off. It was there like lightning and right on the dot.

Shoot, I forgot this was the torrey thread. He was a key contributor, not so sure he's the player of the game though. But he is really important to that line and therefore this team.

Last edited by Phu: 05-13-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:22 AM
5H4RK5

Mitchell, Murray, and Demers were very good all around.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:46 AM
freddypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5H4RK5 View Post
Mitchell, Murray, and Demers were very good all around.
agreed

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 10:04 AM
coooldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
I think that fake shot-pass to Heatley on the 2 on 1 is underrated as well. But yeah that pass to seto ... that thing had to go a long way really quickly to get that play off. It was there like lightning and right on the dot.
Really want Joe to take that shot, though. Typical that he didn't. Atl east he beasted the rest of the game.

Torrey, like most of our 3rd liners, is either overly-reviled or overly-fawned upon. He is a very good 3rd line player and has been since his rookie season (injury notwithstanding). Great to have him healthy and out there.

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 10:06 AM
sjshrky27

I agree. Torry has been crazy this series. Speed, skill, and a pest. Love him. And to think I wanted to trade him at the deadline...

Thank you DW for your yoda like powers in keeping him around

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 10:22 AM
SJSharkzie

Mitchell has really stepped up his game for the playoffs and our 3rd line is unbelievable (nothing new I know ). Pavelski, Wellwood, and Mitchell just work very well together and off of each other in the offensive zone. I would love to see Mitchell connect on a few of the amazing setups he has gotten from Wellwood, but overall you can't be even close to disappointed with this line.

SJSharkzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsher View Post
This.

Thornton also was given unfair criticism after the breakaway pass. The drop pass to Heatley was the better option. He drew the defenseman to him, had a bad angle and best he could have hoped for was a juicy rebound right on Heatley's stick. Instead, he chose to drop it to the teams best sniper who had a clear lane and a goalie in his crease.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Mitchell has been the type of player the Sharks need him to be. His effort and work level is matching that of his rookie year where he was stellar. I feel he's quite a bit slower than he used to be but he's found a way to be effective once again. The line of Pavelski-Wellwood-Mitchell is built for the playoffs and they have been bigger than I think most would realize. How many shifts have they had where they go out and steal the momentum. Love it.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:20 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by coooldude View Post
Really want Joe to take that shot, though. Typical that he didn't. Atl east he beasted the rest of the game.
I thought that pass was awesome. Howard had the angle on Thornton, and Heatley ended up with a better scoring chance than Thornton would have had.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Kitten Mittons

If Heater was actually a capable shooter, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I dunno how he managed not to score. He can't elevate the puck for **** this year.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
If Heater was actually a capable shooter, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I dunno how he managed not to score. He can't elevate the puck for **** this year.
Er, didn't it hit Howard in the shoulder area? I think he elevated it pretty well, Howard just had decent position and Heatley missed by a little. I would have loved if Joe could have opened up Howard a little more by faking a little right before dishing backhand to Heatley but I'm not sure he has that move in him, and they were closing fast. Would have got howard to kick out the left pad maybe, lowering his stance and maybe Heatley's shot goes in.

Old
05-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Kitten Mittons

I thought he shot it in the pads. I could never find the puck.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
I thought he shot it in the pads. I could never find the puck.
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...47&event=S.J50

It's a little hard to see here but the puck hits him in the shoulder, that's why it pops up and Howard has trouble with it, then he goes down and can't cover it. They showed a replay right after that clearly showed it hitting Howard high, iirc.

Last edited by Phu: 05-13-2011 at 03:18 PM.