HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skates - Which ones?

Old
05-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Sony Eriksson*

vCash: 500
Skates - Which ones?

I have not purchased new skates since i was 17 and well that was a while ago so i have no clue what skates i should get...need input(I have a $300 limit that i want to spend)

1. CCM U+10 - $294
2. U+ 10- $299
3. 8K Pump - $299

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 04:07 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Of those 3 I'd say go with Reebok's, but Bauer skates are the best in my opinion. With a 300 dollar limit, you could get a damn nice pair of Bauer's which are better than the 3 you have listed..

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Anubis79

The ones which fit your feet best? I can understand the desire to save money and just order skates online, but why waste $300 on skates that you can't stand to wear longer than 15 minutes. If you can't get to a shop, then I guess you don't have much choice. Some more info about what your old skates are might help the more knowledgeable people here determine which skates are a similar fit. I know I would have ended up with the wrong skates had I not tried on different brands. Also, with the release of the new line of Vapors you might find a good deal on last year's, if they're a good fit for your foot.

Anubis79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis79 View Post
The ones which fit your feet best? I can understand the desire to save money and just order skates online, but why waste $300 on skates that you can't stand to wear longer than 15 minutes. If you can't get to a shop, then I guess you don't have much choice. Some more info about what your old skates are might help the more knowledgeable people here determine which skates are a similar fit. I know I would have ended up with the wrong skates had I not tried on different brands. Also, with the release of the new line of Vapors you might find a good deal on last year's, if they're a good fit for your foot.
I have used nothing but CCM Custom Fit 652's for ages.

Old
05-03-2011, 04:40 PM
thedonger

completely agree with anubis. who cares if you saved a couple bucks if the skates don't fit your feet right. go to a local hockey shop(if you have the luxury) and get fit properly. if you can, try to avoid the temptation of buying online as there will be some hidden costs by going that route that will end up evening out if you would have bought locally. by this i mean adding in the cost of baking, and re-baking if necessary, which would cost you each time if you decided not to buy from a local shop. this would be free each time if you buy local. also, many shops will charge you extra for a first sharpen, which again, would be free if purchased locally.

for $300, you can buy a solid pair of intermediate level skates. doesn't matter which brand you go with as long as they fit right.

edit:
just saw you've been skating in 652's...my brother wore those for a long time, vacutacks ftw! skates these days are way different now. i just got back into the game myself from a 10+ year layoff. last pair of skates i had were supreme 5000's and went through the same thing you're going through now. only i did actually go the lhs route but unfortunately didn't realize the kids who were helping me didn't really know what they were doing. eventually found a guy who i could trust and couldn't be happier with what i have now...but i still get the unhealthy urge to try different stuff just for the hell of it.

Last edited by thedonger: 05-03-2011 at 04:51 PM.
thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 05:07 PM
mbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis79 View Post
Agree. Do everything you can to try on pairs of skates before you buy them. My foot won't fit into anything comfortably except for Easton skates. Everything else pinches my toes unless I get sizes that are too big for me, which is obviously no good! Skates are the last thing I'd ever buy without trying them on first. Fit is too important and finicky.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 06:09 PM
HolyRollie

I've been skating in CCM Super Tacks for the past 6 years. I tried on the new CCMs and they fit completely different now...way too tight mid-foot. The Reebok 8ks fit so much better and were super comfortable. Just snagged the Reebok 7ks (I love the white) from IceWarehouse for a dope deal.

HolyRollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 07:12 PM
ponder

As others said, BY FAR the most important thing when it comes to skates is the fit, everything else is secondary. Buy whatever skates fit your feet best, period, you will not get comfort OR performance out of skates that fit you poorly. Rbk skates, CCM U+ skates, Easton Stealth skates, Bauer Vapor skates, Bauer Supreme skates, etc., they all fit differently, and nobody can tell you what skates will fit your feet, you simply have to try them on. If someone tells you "buy this brand, they're the best!" that person simply does not know what they're talking about, there is no best skate for all feet, the best skate for you is the skate that fits your feet best.

I'd say you can order more or less anything online except skates, skates you really have to buy in a shop after trying on many, many pairs. Maybe you could afford one model/price-point up online vs. in store, but going down one model/price-point in a good fitting skate is gonna be way better (in terms of both performance and comfort) than a poor fitting skate at a higher price-point. And besides, when you buy a skate in a store the sharpening, baking, extra bits of fitting after your first few skates (additional bakes, punching, etc.), etc. should all be included, when you take into account what you'd have to pay for all that, and shipping (if applicable), then it's often not much cheaper to buy online anyways.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyRollie View Post
I've been skating in CCM Super Tacks for the past 6 years. I tried on the new CCMs and they fit completely different now...way too tight mid-foot. The Reebok 8ks fit so much better and were super comfortable. Just snagged the Reebok 7ks (I love the white) from IceWarehouse for a dope deal.
Today i went to the Hockey store and also tried on the Reebok 7k's and they were by far the most comfortable skates. They had them on sale for $199 which from what i have seen is the lowest price even compared to online deals. I tried on the Bauer U+ 10 and it felt life the molding in the foot are was not as good as the Reebok ones. I'm swinging by tomorrow to buy them. Since Reebok owns CCM its basically staying loyal to the best skate company in history...CCM..

Old
05-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Placebo Effect

Re-iterating...try them on.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:30 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
Today i went to the Hockey store and also tried on the Reebok 7k's and they were by far the most comfortable skates. They had them on sale for $199 which from what i have seen is the lowest price even compared to online deals. I tried on the Bauer U+ 10 and it felt life the molding in the foot are was not as good as the Reebok ones. I'm swinging by tomorrow to buy them. Since Reebok owns CCM its basically staying loyal to the best skate company in history...CCM..
there is no such thing as a bauer u+ 10. there is a ccm u+ 10 though.

Old
05-05-2011, 11:51 PM
HolyRollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
That's a ridiculous deal...I got mine for $205. Stay loyal!

HolyRollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

love my Bauer one-70s ...they are in that range.

tried on the U+ and the guy fitting me said they require a more beefier ankle. (it wasnt like he was trying to up sell cause the U+ were more expensive) You just need to try them on and look to see if the boot fits you properly. The U+ would deteriorate faster, with the size of my ankle and foot.

IMO the reebok felt comfy but seemed more bulky. The bauers fit right and felt like i was in the skates better...when i walked around i could tell they were right, and while on the ice they feel more apart of you.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Gooseamania

rather than start a whole new thread for a simple question, i thought i'd just ask it here. how does everyone tie their skates? do you lace all the way up, do you leave some eyelets empty, do you wrap your laces? I personally like to leave the last eyelets empty, so i have all of them laced up except the very top. are their any disadvantages to tying skates the way i do aside from ankle support? I have very stiff skates so the support seems fine, i feel like leaving the top empty helps my cutting a bit.

Gooseamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 08:55 AM
CGNY87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseamania View Post
rather than start a whole new thread for a simple question, i thought i'd just ask it here. how does everyone tie their skates? do you lace all the way up, do you leave some eyelets empty, do you wrap your laces? I personally like to leave the last eyelets empty, so i have all of them laced up except the very top. are their any disadvantages to tying skates the way i do aside from ankle support? I have very stiff skates so the support seems fine, i feel like leaving the top empty helps my cutting a bit.
whatever works best for you. Personally, I tie all the laces so they are snug, then the top 2 eyelets are tied very tight. I use waxed laces so I dont have to worry about them slowly loosening (i have shin guards over my laces, so its difficult to retie while on the bench)

CGNY87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Gooseamania

whats everyone's opinion, is it easier to turn/cut if you dont lace your skates up all the way, or does it not make a difference? i'm guessing it has a lot to do with how good/bad the person is on skates.

Old
05-13-2011, 02:40 PM
ponder

As CGNY87 stated, it's just personal preference. Some guys (like me) lace all the way to the top, others prefer to leave the top eyelet unlaced. It just depends on your skating style, lacing to the top can provide a bit more "spring" like power if you are strong/heavy enough to flex your boot, but leaving the top eyelet unlaced can give you a bit more mobility and make it easier to get a good knee/ankle bend. Also depends on the individual skates, some skates are very high cut, some are very low cut, with a low cut skate you might find that you prefer to lace them all the way up, vs leaving the top eyelet unlaced with a high cut skate.

If you skate better with the top eyelet unlaced, stick with it, as you said the only definite drawback is less ankle support, so a slightly increased risk of injury if you go feet first into the boards or something like that. Otherwise it's a power vs mobility trade-off, which is personal preference.

Old
05-13-2011, 02:44 PM
ponder

Quote:
whats everyone's opinion, is it easier to turn/cut if you dont lace your skates up all the way, or does it not make a difference? i'm guessing it has a lot to do with how good/bad the person is on skates.
Heh, you posted this as I was posting. I don't think it's about skill, even in the NHL you have guys who leave the top eyelet unlaced as well as guys who go to the other extreme, taping up their ankles for even more support than you'd get by lacing to the top alone. It just depends on how you skate/what feels best for you, I personally feel I have a more powerful stride with my skates laced all the way up, but if I tape my ankles like some pros do (including top notch skaters like Gaborik, Kovalev, Bure, etc.) then I can't get a good forward flex and my skating/turning goes to garbage, which I imagine is how some people feel if they lace all the way up.

Old
05-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Gooseamania

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Heh, you posted this as I was posting. I don't think it's about skill, even in the NHL you have guys who leave the top eyelet unlaced as well as guys who go to the other extreme, taping up their ankles for even more support than you'd get by lacing to the top alone. It just depends on how you skate/what feels best for you, I personally feel I have a more powerful stride with my skates laced all the way up, but if I tape my ankles like some pros do (including top notch skaters like Gaborik, Kovalev, Bure, etc.) then I can't get a good forward flex and my skating/turning goes to garbage, which I imagine is how some people feel if they lace all the way up.
what you said makes perfectly good sense. like i said, i have a very stiff boot so keeping the top eyelet un-laced helps me with turns/cuts.

by the way, i might as well ask this now since im on the topic of skates. I just got new skates, I used them for the first time in a game last night (first time ever actually). the skates feel good, no pain afterwords, but the insoles aren't very comfortable. I had read on these forums somewhere that stock insoles are crappy no matter how good the skate it, what is a good brand of insole for a skate and how do you fit them to the skate?

Old
05-13-2011, 03:52 PM
ponder

Quote:
what you said makes perfectly good sense. like i said, i have a very stiff boot so keeping the top eyelet un-laced helps me with turns/cuts.

by the way, i might as well ask this now since im on the topic of skates. I just got new skates, I used them for the first time in a game last night (first time ever actually). the skates feel good, no pain afterwords, but the insoles aren't very comfortable. I had read on these forums somewhere that stock insoles are crappy no matter how good the skate it, what is a good brand of insole for a skate and how do you fit them to the skate?
Stock insoles tend to be just thin little pieces of foam that provide very little arch support. Fine for some feet, but not all. I personally use Superfeet yellow insoles, I love them, very low profile but still provide a lot of arch support, and are quite stiff:
http://www.superfeet.com/products/Yellow.aspx

I also tried on "Elite" pro senior insoles (the same company who make the popular waxed laces), more soft/comfy, but didn't provide as much of the arch support I was looking for. Probably better for certain foot types though:

The Graf footbeds are also quite popular, never tried them myself though.

As for choosing the right ones for you, just go to a shop that has a decent selection, pick out the right size, put em in, ties up your skates and walk around in them for a while, buy whatever feels best. Once you buy them you can trim them to size, often they'll be made a little oversized in the forefoot/toe area and are meant to be trimmed to a perfect fit with scissors.

Old
05-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Gooseamania

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Stock insoles tend to be just thin little pieces of foam that provide very little arch support. Fine for some feet, but not all. I personally use Superfeet yellow insoles, I love them, very low profile but still provide a lot of arch support, and are quite stiff:

I also tried on "Elite" pro senior insoles (the same company who make the popular waxed laces), more soft/comfy, but didn't provide as much of the arch support I was looking for. Probably better for certain foot types though:

The Graf footbeds are also quite popular, never tried them myself though.

As for choosing the right ones for you, just go to a shop that has a decent selection, pick out the right size, put em in, ties up your skates and walk around in them for a while, buy whatever feels best. Once you buy them you can trim them to size, often they'll be made a little oversized in the forefoot/toe area and are meant to be trimmed to a perfect fit with scissors.
thanks a lot, that will help me out a bunch! one last question, if my shoe is an 11.5, but my skates are 10 which size insole would i get?

Old
05-13-2011, 07:58 PM
ponder

Quote:
thanks a lot, that will help me out a bunch! one last question, if my shoe is an 11.5, but my skates are 10 which size insole would i get?
You have to try them out in store, the length/forefoot is something you can trim, but the heel has to fit properly. Here's a video on fitting Superfeet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfMRu...watch_response

Old
05-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Gooseamania

awesome, that video is going to be very useful when i get these superfeet. do they ONLY sell these at hockey retailers or can you get them in regular stores? thanks again!

Old
05-14-2011, 09:26 AM
thedonger

Quote:
awesome, that video is going to be very useful when i get these superfeet. do they ONLY sell these at hockey retailers or can you get them in regular stores? thanks again!
just adding to what ponder said about the insole fit. you want to find the size that will align not just to your heel but also to your arch. and like ponder said, you can trim everything else to fit in the skate. superfeet made a noticeable difference for me too.

you might be able to find them in ski/snowboard shops or even hiking shops as well.

Old
05-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Gooseamania

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
just adding to what ponder said about the insole fit. you want to find the size that will align not just to your heel but also to your arch. and like ponder said, you can trim everything else to fit in the skate. superfeet made a noticeable difference for me too.

you might be able to find them in ski/snowboard shops or even hiking shops as well.
donger/ponder, thanks for all your help. I looked everywhere for superfeet and the only place that had them didnt have the yellow. so, I took donger's advice and looked for the superfeet at a hiking store and sure enough they had them! I used them in my game last night and you guys are right, I didnt feel any of the slight discomfort I felt in my arches before i got the insoles. thanks again.