HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread, Part I

Old
05-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Yeah. Signing Richards any longer than four years is pretty much blocking out Stepan and Anisimov to grow into that first-line center role.

Like many here believe, Richards isn't going to take four years. As much as I want him to, he won't.
I can pretty safely say that Stepan and (especially) Anisimov will never be 90 point players.

Its beyond foolish to operate in such a fashion to assume that they will evolve into a true 1C.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 07:49 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned or not, but in the trade deadline edition of the Oil Change it REALLY seemed like the Rangers and the Oilers had a deal in place that Sather pulled the plug on at the last minute. I have a feeling that Hemsky will be on his way to the Rangers this off-season.
Can you elaborate? I didn't see that one. Fantastic show though.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 07:54 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
You can catch the old episodes of Oil Change at:

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/

You might needs to scroll through. I don't think they covered the trade deadline in Episode 6, so it's probably Episode 5. I didn't see the Hemsky stuff, so I'm going to go look now.

EDIT: I'm right, Episode 5 is entitled "Deadline."

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 08:00 PM
azrok22

Oil Change Episode 5 Part 4 is where they start talking about the deadline.

EDIT:

In Part 5 of episode 5, Tambellini is speaking with Sather on the phone (at the 1:40 mark).

He asks Sather "did you guys make up your mind or no?" Then they cut to Renney talking to Penner (who has just been traded) who actually walks in front of Tambellini who is talking to Sather still. Tambellini says "Ok Glen, I get it. Goodbye." This is literally 2 minutes and 45 seconds before the deadline. Tambellini is then talking to one of the other guys at the table, and they say "Is this guy really good?" Then another guy says "Yeah, but they won't do it anyways."

I don't see any specific reference to Hemsky watching this, but it seems that there was definitely a deal discussed that Sather turned down. Not really clear that it was really close unless I'm missing something.

Last edited by azrok22: 05-12-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old
05-12-2011, 08:15 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Oil Change Episode 5 Part 4 is where they start talking about the deadline.

EDIT:

In Part 5 of episode 5, Tambellini is speaking with Sather on the phone (at the 1:40 mark).

He asks Sather "did you guys make up your mind or no?" Then they cut to Renney talking to Penner (who has just been traded) who actually walks in front of Tambellini who is talking to Sather still. Tambellini says "Ok Glen, I get it. Goodbye." This is literally 2 minutes and 45 seconds before the deadline. Tambellini is then talking to one of the other guys at the table, and they say "Is this guy really good?" Then another guy says "Yeah, but they won't do it anyways."

I don't see any specific reference to Hemsky watching this, but it seems that there was definitely a deal discussed that Sather turned down. Not really clear that it was really close unless I'm missing something.
The fact that all it took was for Sather to say yes or no means that there was a much longer discussion beforehand. It doesnt get that far without some history on both sides.

The way Tambellini said, "we are going to hold onto him", made me think immediately of Hemsky as he was the other player they were saying they could "hold onto" if they didnt get a deal they loved.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 08:21 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The fact that all it took was for Sather to say yes or no means that there was a much longer discussion beforehand. It doesnt get that far without some history on both sides.

The way Tambellini said, "we are going to hold onto him", made me think immediately of Hemsky as he was the other player they were saying they could "hold onto" if they didnt get a deal they loved.
Obviously there was more discussion beforehand, but I still don't think that means the trade was that close. From what I recall, there were Hemsky to NY rumors on deadline day, but again, it may have been a super lowball offer from NY or ridiculous demands from Edmonton.

Without doubt, something was definitely discussed between the two, most likely involving Hemsky, but I still don't feel like this proves that anything was really close.

Old
05-12-2011, 08:24 PM
FOXHOUND*

Thanks guys. Wonder who they were talking about when they said "is this guy really good, yeah but they won't do it"

Old
05-12-2011, 08:34 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I can pretty safely say that Stepan and (especially) Anisimov will never be 90 point players.

Its beyond foolish to operate in such a fashion to assume that they will evolve into a true 1C.
I believe that Stepan has the long term potential to be a quasi-#1 center, but I'm not quite sure about point totals. AA just doesn't have the same potential, despite being an excellent two-way player. Though they possess similar goal-scoring ability, Stepan has much better ice awareness and vision (i.e. passing and play-making). I mean how many times did Step do something on the ice this year that made us all go... wow! Often...and it was only his rookie year. AA is more a down-low, possession type grinder... which is why he worked so well with Shelley & Prust last year and Dubi & Cally this year.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 09:26 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
I believe that Stepan has the long term potential to be a quasi-#1 center, but I'm not quite sure about point totals. AA just doesn't have the same potential, despite being an excellent two-way player. Though they possess similar goal-scoring ability, Stepan has much better ice awareness and vision (i.e. passing and play-making). I mean how many times did Step do something on the ice this year that made us all go... wow! Often...and it was only his rookie year. AA is more a down-low, possession type grinder... which is why he worked so well with Shelley & Prust last year and Dubi & Cally this year.
Exactly. We already expect Stepan and AA to never reach the level that Richards is at currently.

So for the one poster to say that getting Richards is stunting the growth of the aforementioned players is simply not true.

We expect, it everything went incredibly perfect, for Stepan/AA to be very good 2nd line/or decent 1st line centers (but that's in a perfect world).

We already know that Stepan and AA will never reach Richard's levels of point producing so the poster who mentioned we'd stunt their growth is wrong.

05-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Obviously there was more discussion beforehand, but I still don't think that means the trade was that close. From what I recall, there were Hemsky to NY rumors on deadline day, but again, it may have been a super lowball offer from NY or ridiculous demands from Edmonton.

Without doubt, something was definitely discussed between the two, most likely involving Hemsky, but I still don't feel like this proves that anything was really close.
The impression I got was that an offer was made, Edmonton countered, and Sather thought it over before rejecting it. Obviously there may have been more back and forth in between, but I think a call with 2 minutes to go and that kind of dialog from Tambo indicates that there was something on the table that Sather at least had to consider.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Kritikal

Send a message via MSN to Kritikal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
And don't forget to trade Lundqvist, buy out Gaborik, and establish a maximum age of 22 to make the roster. Ok I'm kidding now, but I seriously do want Kreider in here.
You mean, do what the Islanders have been doing for the past 10+ years? Traded Luongo, bought out Yashin, and running 2-3 lines of AHL lifers. I know you were being sarcastic, but still...

Kritikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Kritikal

Send a message via MSN to Kritikal
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
I'm sure it's been discussed, so I apologize in advance (but I haven't seen it), and he may not reach UFA, but what about Markov? Boy he'd look good in blue, manning the PP. MTL will likely resign him, but if he doesn't, I don't see how we don't at least take a look.
Markov makes Gaborik look like an Iron Man on the ice...

Kritikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Any updates on what's going on with Drury? I was just looking at some of his in-depth stats and got kind of nauseous. He attempted 43 shots in his 24 games this season, and managed to only hit the net on 26 of them. I think the only person who was worse on our team in that aspect was Rozsival... (24/46)

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Del Z baby

Rangers trade Artem Anisimov, 2011 1st round selection, Ryan Borque to PHI in exchange for Jeff Carter, and 2012 3rd round selection.

Carter-Richards-Gaborik.......

Del Z baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 07:43 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Z baby View Post
Rangers trade Artem Anisimov, 2011 1st round selection, Ryan Borque to PHI in exchange for Jeff Carter, and 2012 3rd round selection.

Carter-Richards-Gaborik.......
1) PHI won't trade Carter to a division rival

2) That is a terrible package to get Carter

3) Carter isn't the type of player I want on a wing with those two.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Del Z baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
1) PHI won't trade Carter to a division rival

2) That is a terrible package to get Carter

3) Carter isn't the type of player I want on a wing with those two.
Thats like, your opinion man.

Del Z baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Z baby View Post
Thats like, your opinion man.
I highly doubt it's mainly "opinion" that leads him to think that Philly wouldn't trade Carter to a division rival. It's reality. And that package doesn't even give Philly a reason to make that trade. Downgrade at forward for the 15th overall pick? Terrible asset management.

Alvvays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 08:36 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If they're trying to free cap space they're not going to UPGRADE their forward position.

Not saying that deal works though.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 08:44 PM
FOXHOUND*

Nash or Bobby Ryan

seriously though, Rangers will make a trade, and it will be for the last person we think of

Old
05-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattrick Swayze View Post
Nash or Bobby Ryan

seriously though, Rangers will make a trade, and it will be for the last person we think of
That means it's probably stupid.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

And I want no part of Carter; he's a moron.

Very talented, but also very stupid. We get enough of that with Dubinsky, Gaborik, and Eli Manning.

Old
05-13-2011, 09:08 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Quote:
And I want no part of Carter; he's a moron.

Very talented, but also very stupid. We get enough of that with Dubinsky, Gaborik, and Eli Manning.
I will never for the life of me understand why your such an angry person

Old
05-13-2011, 09:10 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Could be, but I think what I mean is that whoever it is wont be some sort of blockbuster trade for an in his prime superstar, but a lower-upper tier player, if that makes any sense

Old
05-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
I will never for the life of me understand why your such an angry person
Then I'll tell you why I'm so angry...

Old
05-13-2011, 09:20 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Then I'll tell you why I'm so angry...

Alright but we are all in the same boat as you with this fool running the show however we choose to give up spewing disparaging comments because it's not constructive.

I am not trying to bash you because I know you're a cool poster but at the same time all of your posts are filled with biting sarcasm you need to chill out or you will have blood pressure problems when you're older .