HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best player in Round 2?

View Poll Results: Best player
Clowe 6 5.36%
Couture 15 13.39%
Thornton 62 55.36%
Boyle 2 1.79%
Heatley 1 0.89%
Setoguchi 13 11.61%
Wellwood 2 1.79%
Marleau 0 0%
Walin!!! 1 0.89%
Other 10 8.93%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Improvise
Old School

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Improvise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
True. But Couture didn't face Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Lidstrom every time he was on the ice. And Seto scored a lot of goals on Joe's wing.
Definitely something to consider, but he was up against Datsyuk and Z quite a bit.

I still can't get over that steal from Zetterberg. A rookie stealing the puck from a Conn Smythe trophy winner and then roofing it like that. How sick!!!!!!

Part of me also expects Thornton to play like that. That is what he is supposed to do. That is what he has to do. I think I'm still kind of in shock at how good Couture is at such a young age and that's why I am even more impressed with his play.

Improvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 10:05 AM
triplea112

boyle didn't get a lot of love here. Was fantastic. Lots of other good choices though.

triplea112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 10:13 AM
OneTooth

Thornton really stepped it up. But that was expected since he always seems to step up against Detroit.

However, the player I'm most impressed with is Seto. He has been playing hard since the 1st game in L.A. and hasn't let up. Not only is he scoring but he's throwing some big time hits out there and really using his speed.

OneTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 11:18 AM
coladin

Setoguchi scored the goals and played overall a sound game. Logan Couture, a guys who got no respect from Hockey Canada is not so quietly becoming one of the top young Canadian players in the NHL. He is scary good.

I hate Dany Heatley with every fibre in my body, but watching the entire game yesterday, putting away my bias towards him...he still did not contribute to the level of his salary or his reputation. If Heatley does not score, he is typically useless. Not a great skater, checker (his lifted stick and the 1/2 mile turn to saunter up the ice on the Red Wings goal) or passer. He is Shooter McGavin and he is not shooting or scoring. He must be nursing something.

Good luck against the Canucks. I am canadian but don't cheer for Canadian teams just for the sake of it. When my team is out I like to find a player who has played along time and want them to lift the Cup. Joe Thornton falls into that category, a guy who has played a long time, for him to lift the Cup would be something. I'd like to see Boston win more, though. They haven't won in a long time.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Thepainter

I really thought that Vlasic continued his amazing play in to and throughout this series.

While he might not have many points, people simply can't undestimate how much this team relies on him every game.

He has been simply amazing.

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Matalvatz

I really liked Murray's physicality against the Wings...I know the offensive guys on our team deserve a lot of credit, but I'm going the other way with Doug Murray.

Matalvatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 03:27 PM
lsx

Pretty much the whole team had an excellent series(obviously excluding the couple bad games), I wouldn't want to pick out only one person for the poll. I think Thornton was a monster, Boyle played great, Seto came up big, Couture, Niemi, Vlasic, Clowe, Welly....see you can't stop at just one.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Jumbo! The invisible jokes need to just go away ... he has been stellar.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 11:25 PM
dwood16

Wellwood deserves to at least have a few more votes so I voted for him.

1. Seto
2. Jumbo
3. Wellwoodo
100098. Marleau lol

Vlasic has broken out and was maybe the best dman for the team. Although Demers and Murray were both good too.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplea112 View Post
boyle didn't get a lot of love here. Was fantastic. Lots of other good choices though.
Boyle has been getting better and better this entire postseason. He now leads all dmen with 11 points (I think).

Jumbo, Clowe, Couture, Seto, Boyle and Niemi were all great for us against Detroit.

I'd prob go with Jumbo, but those players all won us that series.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:31 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Jumbo! The invisible jokes need to just go away ... he has been stellar.
Well, the more he plays like THIS.....the faster those jokes will go away.

That was kind of the point of all those comments. THIS is what he's capable of. THIS is what everybody knew he was capable of. And before last year against Detroit, he'd never shown THIS kind of effort, determination, execution, etc.

If he keeps this level of play up, the jokes will go away.

If he goes back to being un productive, stays on the half boards, continues to pass up glorious scoring opportunities for lower percentage opportunities, avoids contact, etc......

In other words, if he completely disappears in the next round(s) or for the next few years.....then well, the invisible comments will return, and they will get louder.

That's the thing.....the judging never ends. One series did not build up Thornton's reputation. One series will not totally re-write it. He's got to keep on keeping on.

Like with Marleau, the knock against Thornton isn't that he can't play like this, or that he doesn't play like this from time to time......it's that he doesn't play like this nearly consistently enough for someone of his talent, paycheck, prominence, and importance to his team.

To shed the label of being an inconsistent playoff performer who disappears in key situations, he's got to become someone who consistently performs in the playoffs and who doesn't (or at least, far less frequently) disappear in key situations, and he has to maintain that level.

The test isn't over. For better or worse, the test is never over.

Last edited by SJGoalie32: 05-14-2011 at 12:37 PM.
SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 01:05 PM
triplea112

http://www.fearthefin.com/2011/5/13/...for-the-sharks

analytical perspective which argues Boyle was the best player of the series.

triplea112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplea112 View Post
http://www.fearthefin.com/2011/5/13/...for-the-sharks

analytical perspective which argues Boyle was the best player of the series.
Nice assessment. I'm going to give JT the edge anyways. He changed his game this year and made it count. He wears the C and would be getting a large share of the blame had we bowed out, so, to the winner go the spoils.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote